or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › May 21st. Still here.

May 21st. Still here.

post #1 of 338
Rapture? Nope. Move along. Nothing to see here. Ever.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It doesn't begin till 6pm. You might get lucky, you never know! I think there'll be a few on the right here who'll be pretty dismayed if you're gone and they're still around. Could be some trying times here on PO over the next few months as we get all the "why him and not me's?".

I could have sworn I saw my left hand disappear momentarily earlier and it's not even 6pm yet. That must mean that I've be chosen. Can't wait!
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #3 of 338
It's not the Rapture, it's the quickening! There can be only one!

Actually, I totally love The Rapture.
post #4 of 338
Roll on the end of all foolish superstitions.
post #5 of 338
Quote:

this is a lot of bullshit to listen to from an old kook in Northern california who is making tons of money with this nonsense of his.
post #6 of 338
Quote:

Damn, I wanted to get some of that sweet stereo equipment.

From Facebook:

Quote:
\t
When everyone is gone and god's not looking, we need to pick up some sweet stereo equipment and maybe some new furniture for the mansion we're going to squat in.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #7 of 338
Another crackpot guy claiming the world's going to end and when the day comes :

Absolutely nothing!

What a surprise! And how many have there been of these in my lifetime?

I remember some months ago these big black trucks drove through the campus at work to advertise the nonevent ( I imagine they did this at many schools ). With 2012 crossed out on their sides and " May 2011 " as the true date of the end. They looked pretty silly then but they look extra silly now.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #8 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Another crackpot guy claiming the world's going to end and when the day comes :

Absolutely nothing!

What a surprise! And how many have there been of these in my lifetime?

I remember some months ago these big black trucks drove through the campus at work to advertise the nonevent ( I imagine they did this at many schools ). With 2012 crossed out on their sides and " May 2011 " as the true date of the end. They looked pretty silly then but they look extra silly now.

Nobody knows the hour or the day. Anyone who says they do, is full of it. Nothing to see here, move along.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #9 of 338
Here's a little something on the subject :

Quote:
10 recent end-time predictions that didn’t come true (duh)

http://io9.com/5804154/10-recent-end...e-duh/gallery/

Quote:
So according to Family Radio grand poobah Camping, massive earthquakes should have already begun in the mid-Pacific and will be wending their way around the globe all day long. New Yorkers can expect seismic horror at approximately 6 PM. And just as your Friday night hangover loses its venom. Rats!

post #10 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Another crackpot guy claiming the world's going to end and when the day comes...

1. He said 6PM EST, so hold off your mockery until there's actually something to mock. You look a fool otherwise.
2. "No man may know the date," so there's a fair bit to mock when the time does come.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #11 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He said 6PM EST, so hold off your mockery until there's actually something to mock. You look a fool otherwise.

post #12 of 338
Shame the rapture was less than rapturous; those so-called "Christians" would have all defied gravity to meet with Jesus, while we sinners, heathens and heretics would have enjoyed a more space, a little less gridlock and crowds here on this already overcrowded, dying planet.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #13 of 338
Quote:
Nobody knows the hour or the day. Anyone who says they do, is full of it. Nothing to see here, move along.

The rapture absolutely happened here in the UK. I personally witnessed several of my friends just float off into the sky, and there was a big pile up on the carriageway behind me. I guess all you 'mericans who witnessed nothing...Well proves you were all practising a phoney faith afterall. I managed to cling on to my Android while I was floating away, lucky for us, it seems there is a Wifi hotspot at the pearly gates..Not sure how long I can remain in contact with the boards...

I will wait for all the AO fundie scumbags to check-in over the next few weeks, and will take solace in the fact that they didn't actually ever have a clue....
post #14 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Oh right. The silly part is that this group claimed to know the date. Not the whole "flying naked into the sky to meet with Jesus" part. That part, totally reasonable. Right. Got it.

*slowly backs away from the rest of the Christian nutbags who still believe the rapture will happen at some point in time*

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #15 of 338
It's cute to try to poke fun at this but you know in reality it isn't supposed to happen until 3:00 PM Pacific Time and 6 :00 PM Eastern time. If you've made fun of this before then you might end up being the one who is laughed at last.

So just remember

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #16 of 338
Quote:

1. He said 6PM EST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

reality it isn't supposed to happen until 3:00 PM Pacific Time and 6 :00 PM Eastern time.

6PM local time throughout the world, actually:
Quote:
And the whole world will be alerted that Judgment Day has begun. And then it will follow the sun around for 24 hours. As each area of the world gets to that point of 6 p.m. on May 21, then it will happen there, and until it happens, the rest of the world will be standing far off and witnessing the horrible thing that is happening.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/05...arold_cam.html
post #17 of 338
Quote:

It's cute to try to poke fun at this but you know in reality it isn't supposed to happen until 3:00 PM Pacific Time and 6 :00 PM Eastern time. If you've made fun of this before then you might end up being the one who is laughed at last.

So just remember

Don't be a fool. The prediction stated that earthquakes would happen around the world at 6pm in each time zone. Australia is safe. We're good to go. Also, the whole thing is nonsense to begin with. What adult actually believes in this stuff? Seriously?

Edit: Just noticed jji had me covered already. Thanks.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #18 of 338
I have seen the billboards and wondered if it was a publicity stunt or if someone was actually stupid enough to try to predict the Rapture.

If you don't believe or if you do, these people were experiencing nothing more than wishful thinking.

Now BR can continue his bashing of people he does not agree with.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #19 of 338
See, how can you say anything about wishful thinking when you still believe in 99.99% of the same fantastical nonsense they do? You only differ on the date. I can't understand how other Christians can distance themselves from these rapture-hounds by saying Camping's crew, they are the weird nutters. Sure, rapture will happen. But LOL NOT TODAY IDIOTS.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #20 of 338
1. What's most interesting to me is what happens on the 22nd. If anyone thinks these types of people will give up because their hypothesis was clearly falsified... No, they'll believe even more strongly in how right they are.

2. This isn't some fringe belief. Despite some liberal Christians' attempt to make him more palatable to the modern world, Jesus was another apocalyptic preacher whose prediction was falsified. He believed it would happen during the lifetime of the people he knew when he was alive.
post #21 of 338
Quote:

So just remember

Don't worry, we aren't forgetting.
post #22 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jji View Post

6PM local time throughout the world, actually:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/05...arold_cam.html

Quote:

Don't be a fool. The prediction stated that earthquakes would happen around the world at 6pm in each time zone. Australia is safe. We're good to go. Also, the whole thing is nonsense to begin with. What adult actually believes in this stuff? Seriously?

Edit: Just noticed jji had me covered already. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jji View Post

Don't worry, we aren't forgetting.

You guys totally missed the joke. At the rapture time I stopped with a sentence fragment.

Get it, joking....

Sorry but the rumpled clothes isn't as easy to convey in text.

post #23 of 338
Friend: So, the world has ended. How do you feel?
Me: Enraptured.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #24 of 338
These people did not present anything Biblical.

Am I to be let down when something that is not Biblical turns out to be just that?

Hardly.

These people are just like Christopher Hitchens. Mere human beings who think they can spread false "truth" and get away with it.

False teachers are well...

Pretty much false.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #25 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

1. What's most interesting to me is what happens on the 22nd. If anyone thinks these types of people will give up because their hypothesis was clearly falsified... No, they'll believe even more strongly in how right they are.

2. This isn't some fringe belief. Despite some liberal Christians' attempt to make him more palatable to the modern world, Jesus was another apocalyptic preacher whose prediction was falsified. He believed it would happen during the lifetime of the people he knew when he was alive.

In regard to number 2. could you provide me with specific examples of what you mean?

What prediction was falsified?

post #26 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

These people did not present anything Biblical.

Am I to be let down when something that is not Biblical turns out to be just that?

Hardly.

These people are just like Christopher Hitchens. Mere human beings who think they can spread false "truth" and get away with it.

False teachers are well...

Pretty much false.

Fellows

Exactly.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #27 of 338
Quote:

In regard to number 2. could you provide me with specific examples of what you mean?

What prediction was falsified?

Hi fellowship. Good to "see" you again.

I'm talking about several predictions by Jesus that the apocalypse would come soon, within a few decades or so. Here is a link with examples and different interpretations, like "Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

Many liberals, including me in the past, like to see Jesus as a kind of hippie humanist who saved women from stoning and told people to be nice to their enemies. But I'm convinced by the scholars who say that his main teaching and his group's main belief was apocalyptic in nature, and that he claimed - and his followers believed - that it would happen in their lifetime. Kinda like this guy in California.

That doesn't mean he was wrong about everything. I like the hippie humanist stuff. But he was wrong about the apocalypse.

Let me ask you fellowship: If you had been alive during Jesus' time, and he was predicting the apocalypse, would you have dismissed him as a crackpot?
post #28 of 338
Quote:

Hi fellowship. Good to "see" you again.

I'm talking about several predictions by Jesus that the apocalypse would come soon, within a few decades or so. Here is a link with examples and different interpretations, like "Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

Many liberals, including me in the past, like to see Jesus as a kind of hippie humanist who saved women from stoning and told people to be nice to their enemies. But I'm convinced by the scholars who say that his main teaching and his group's main belief was apocalyptic in nature, and that he claimed - and his followers believed - that it would happen in their lifetime. Kinda like this guy in California.

That doesn't mean he was wrong about everything. I like the hippie humanist stuff. But he was wrong about the apocalypse.

Let me ask you fellowship: If you had been alive during Jesus' time, and he was predicting the apocalypse, would you have dismissed him as a crackpot?

Let me answer your points / question with this:

To look at Jesus as an eschatological apocalyptic would be to consider him as someone who believed in a rapidly approaching end of the physical world when the kingdom of God would be fulfilled on earth. If Jesus is regarded as a sapiential apocalyptic, then it means he was not expecting a physical end of the world, but hoped that those around him would change how they lived, thus creating a destruction of the world's morals and ushering in a new way to go about life. Also, it must be remembered that the question up for debate is not if Jesus referred to the end of the world, because it's obvious he did on numerous occasions, but it's whether or not he meant what he said to be taken literally (eschatologically) or figuratively (sapientially).

To understand the reason why Jesus used apocalyptic dialogue, one must first understand Jesus' mindset and ideas he had about the Roman civilization. Jesus claimed he was sent from God to help people live a way conforming to the kingdom of God.

I hope this helps explain my questioning of your claims.

It is good to see you around BRussell!

Fellows

post #29 of 338
I was up really late Friday night, so I slept until Saturday afternoon. Caught Pirates 4 this evening, and just bounced into PO to see that our resident atheist was up at 6:28am this morning ready to post about the Rapture.

No-one I know actually took Camping seriously.
I believe in the soon return of Christ, and went about my entire day without even bothering.

You've gotta love atheists, if only because they're so interested in religion.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #30 of 338
Quote:

To this point specifically.

There is a vast difference between Jesus and the false teachers of today who spread their false teaching.

To answer your question as you pose it I would have to reply that I believe that there is a difference in credibility between on the one hand somebody who can feed the multitudes, walk on water, be conceived of a virgin birth, heal the sick not to even get to the part where He is risen after his death on the cross. and on the "other" hand somebody who has no credibility for any reason. So if I saw the Jesus of the Bible during the day and he were to tell me something. I would take it to the bank knowing all the other things which this man did which are noteworthy.

Is this any kind of analogy to the modern day false teachers making claims?

Not in any measure... not close by any measure.

Fellows

post #31 of 338
Quote:

1. He said 6PM EST, so hold off your mockery until there's actually something to mock. You look a fool otherwise.
2. "No man may know the date," so there's a fair bit to mock when the time does come.

My, my look at the time!
post #32 of 338
Quote:

Exactly.

But you and Fellows have the REAL truth. Rapture will happen...it'll just...

SNEAK UP ON YOU BOO GOTCHA JESUS HAS YOUR NOSE HE'S GOT IT!

Stupid beliefs are stupid.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #33 of 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I believe in the soon return of Christ, and went about my entire day without even bothering.

Guess what? This makes you JUST AS NUTTY AS CAMPING.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #34 of 338
Quote:

But you and Fellows have the REAL truth. Rapture will happen...it'll just...

SNEAK UP ON YOU BOO GOTCHA JESUS HAS YOUR NOSE HE'S GOT IT!

Stupid beliefs are stupid.

There is such a thing as the REAL truth. It might not seem like a politically correct thing to say and I completely understand that but nevertheless...

And as for your statment:

"Stupid beliefs are stupid" I could not agree with you more. You are 100% correct. This is why if one is to have any belief it must be based on truth not just something "less than truth".

The truth will set you free.

Fellows

post #35 of 338
Quote:

Guess what? This makes you JUST AS NUTTY AS CAMPING.

"NUTTY" according to you.

But BR I nor God (I dare go out on a limb) nor anyone else really care who you think is "NUTTY"

It is not because I don't like you... It is simply because it is immaterial in the wider scheme of things.

Fellows

post #36 of 338
Quote:

"NUTTY" according to you.

But BR I nor God (I dare go out on a limb) nor anyone else really care who you think is "NUTTY"

It is not because I don't like you... It is simply because it is immaterial in the wider scheme of things.

Fellows

This reminds me of a discussion on Camping's radio station I tuned into one day last year. A panel was discussing homeschooling, urging children not to be sent to high school who may attempt to witness to the heathens. The panel said high school kids are too young to have their faith survive the influence of a public school education. It was important to shelter them until they could grow strongly enough in the word of "god" so as to weather any heathen arguments thrown at them.

They literally were urging parents to lock their children away from the rest of society until these kids have been thoroughly brainwashed as to reject all reason in the future.

Classic psychological tactics are used to indoctrinate these helpless youths. Words can't describe just how disgusting that is. Christianity is nothing more than a cult that gets widespread acceptance. It's still a fucking cult. It's still a terrible thing to inflict upon the young.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #37 of 338
Quote:

This reminds me of a discussion on Camping's radio station I tuned into one day last year. A panel was discussing homeschooling, urging children not to be sent to high school who may attempt to witness to the heathens. The panel said high school kids are too young to have their faith survive the influence of a public school education. It was important to shelter them until they could grow strongly enough in the word of "god" so as to weather any heathen arguments thrown at them.

They literally were urging parents to lock their children away from the rest of society until these kids have been thoroughly brainwashed as to reject all reason in the future.

Classic psychological tactics are used to indoctrinate these helpless youths. Words can't describe just how disgusting that is. Christianity is nothing more than a cult that gets widespread acceptance. It's still a fucking cult. It's still a terrible thing to inflict upon the young.

Consider the source of Camping's radio station......

Need I say more. False teaching is actually warned about in the Bible.

I care not what men and councils of men think most especially if they are false teachers. I care what the God of the Universe thinks.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Fellows

post #38 of 338
Quote:

OMG, you listened to his radio show!?! You have lost all credibility.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #39 of 338
Quote:

OMG, you listened to his radio show!?! You have lost all credibility.

OK not to be childish but I did LOL when I read this! LOL

Of course I don't believe that but it was funny to read.

Fellows

post #40 of 338
Quote:

OK not to be childish but I did LOL when I read this! LOL

Of course I don't believe that but it was funny to read.

Fellows

It was so obviously sarcasm. This thread needed some levity.
NoahJ
NoahJ
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › May 21st. Still here.