or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Freedom Riders

Freedom Riders

post #1 of 16
Who remembers the Freedom Riders at all and what they stood for?
post #2 of 16
I don't "remember" them because they were before my time. I do know the history though. Why do you ask?
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I don't "remember" them because they were before my time. I do know the history though. Why do you ask?

Because it is the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Riders now.They were courageous Black Americans who stood for integration and for their freedom and to be heard.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Because it is the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Riders now.They were courageous Black Americans who stood for integration and for their freedom and to be heard.

"Black Americans"? I think your history is faulty.
post #5 of 16
Quote:

"Black Americans"? I think your history is faulty.

My history is right they were in your terms Black Africans who fought for freedom in the South during the early 60's.What are you referring to than?
post #6 of 16
Quote:

My history is right they were in your terms Black Africans who fought for freedom in the South during the early 60's.What are you referring to than?

A lot more than just black americans and not just from the South. In fact not really from the South. Go read a history book.
post #7 of 16
post #8 of 16
Quote:

A lot more than just black americans and not just from the South. In fact not really from the South. Go read a history book.

A wise ass the freedom riders were civil rights activists who rode buses into the southern states to challenge the laws that reinforced segregation into these states.They challenged customs and also local laws also. I am not illiterate as you might think.
post #9 of 16
Quote:

A wise ass the freedom riders were civil rights activists who rode buses into the southern states to challenge the laws that reinforced segregation into these states.They challenged customs and also local laws also. I am not illiterate as you might think.

Yea I know that. You don't seem to.
post #10 of 16
Quote:

Yea I know that. You don't seem to.

What did I post for you to read if you clam I do not know.How old are you anyway?
post #11 of 16
Quote:

What did I post for you to read if you clam I do not know.How old are you anyway?

I already posted what you got wrong. Your statement that freedom riders were african americans ignores the significant numbers of whites that were freedom riders. They came from the north where many blacks did not live under the oppressive Jim Crow laws that the south had. So they were not fighting for their own freedom but the freedom of other people. (the white freedom riders were already free in the south). You seem to miss enough relevant facts to not really know what you are talking about.
post #12 of 16
Quote:

I already posted what you got wrong. Your statement that freedom riders were african americans ignores the significant numbers of whites that were freedom riders. They came from the north where many blacks did not live under the oppressive Jim Crow laws that the south had. So they were not fighting for their own freedom but the freedom of other people. (the white freedom riders were already free in the south). You seem to miss enough relevant facts to not really know what you are talking about.

I know you are prejudice by not even noting the fact the these Freedom Riders were Blacks mainly.Some were whites also.
post #13 of 16
Quote:

I know you are prejudice by not even noting the fact the these Freedom Riders were Blacks mainly.Some were whites also.

Right.
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Or you could turn it around.

I know you are prejudice by not even noting the fact that these Freedom Riders were also white. Only the black riders counted.

Neither statement is true at it's premise. You don't know if he is prejudiced, but you try to say you do based on the fact that he corrected you on this subject, any more than I could know if you were prejudiced.

However in this exchange all information has been provided by him and you have not found any of it to be wrong, just not the way you wanted it presented apparently. Even your opening post had nothing but a question. Perhaps you could try framing the debate if you don't want the responders to do it for you.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Or you could turn it around.

I know you are prejudice by not even noting the fact that these Freedom Riders were also white. Only the black riders counted.

Neither statement is true at it's premise. You don't know if he is prejudiced, but you try to say you do based on the fact that he corrected you on this subject, any more than I could know if you were prejudiced.

However in this exchange all information has been provided by him and you have not found any of it to be wrong, just not the way you wanted it presented apparently. Even your opening post had nothing but a question. Perhaps you could try framing the debate if you don't want the responders to do it for you.

We both have correct views as what the Freedom Riders stood for.Leave it alone.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyme123 View Post

Unfortunate that such a conversation had to involve such malice and division.

Some people are not to civil I am afraid to say.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Freedom Riders