or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › A problem of terminology

A problem of terminology - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And thankfully we are slowly and surely moving away from that...even if we have to drag half the country kicking and screaming with us into the 21st century.

In the meantime, here's some funny blasphemous shorts you might enjoy from the awesome folks over at SMBC Theater.

Just a Theory
Nature Documentary
Both Sides

When religion gets in the way of science, it should definitely be criticized and such religious behavior should be changed to accept reality rather than myth.
When science gets in the way of religion, it cannot be denied, and the related religious beliefs should be changed to reflect reality rather than myth.
Only when religion and science are fully compatible can we accept religious behavior. I won't stop you from praying, as it does no one any harm. But I will do my best to stop you from praying for your child to get cured of an infection instead of giving them antibiotics.
post #42 of 45
Western religion, by its very nature, gets in the way of science. It teaches that evidence is unnecessary and questioning too much is a bad thing. Now, things like Zen Buddhism (the superstition-free variety) are a little different. I would rather have a separate word from religion to classify such belief systems that don't rely on superstition--I think it's unfair to lump them all together.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #43 of 45

Handy chart for all those not truly versed with the scientific vernacular.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #44 of 45
Quote:

Interesting. I'm sure I could get 10 different opinions from 5 scientists on what "error" means.
post #45 of 45
Quote:

Count yourself among them I suppose.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › A problem of terminology