or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments

Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments

post #1 of 71
After Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer appeared to confirm earlier this week that the next generation of Windows will arrive next year, a spokesperson has clarified the comments as "a misstatement."

At a developer forum in Tokyo, Japan on Monday, Ballmer used the name "Windows 8" in public for the first time.

"We're obviously hard at work on the next version of Windows. Windows 7 PCs will sell over 350 million units this year. We've done a lot in Windows 7 to improve customer satisfaction. We have a brand new user interface. We've added touch, and ink, and speech," the company's official transcript reported Ballmer as saying.

"And yet, as we look forward to the next generation of Windows systems, which will come out next year, there's a whole lot more coming. As we progress through the year, you ought to expect to hear a lot about Windows 8. Windows 8 slates, tablets, PCs, a variety of different form factors," he continued.

However, Ballmer may have said too much, as Microsoft has retracted the comments, as noted by Gregg Keizer of InfoWorld.

"It appears there was a misstatement," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement the company issued. "We are eagerly awaiting the next generation of Windows 7 hardware that will be available in the coming fiscal year. To date, we have yet to formally announce any timing or naming for the next version of Windows." Microsoft's 2011 fiscal year ends on June 30.

According to the report, Microsoft has kept quiet about the names of previous Windows versions. Windows 7 wasn't officially labeled as such until "just weeks" before developers received an early build, Keizer noted.

However, analysts and developers appear to have already settled on calling the next version "Windows 8," though Microsoft's backpedaling has left some analysts wondering. "Was it the name, Windows 8?" analyst Michael Cherry of Directions on Microsoft asked. "Or was it [the release in] 2012? Sometimes this is like being a soothsayer, pulling apart the entrails of animals."

Developers report that builds of Windows 8 are still in the early stages. For example, the Ribbon UI feature is "only half-finished and, frankly, of dubious value," according to one report.

Windows 8 Ribbon UI | Source: Within Windows

If the next generation of Windows is indeed pushed past the next fiscal year, Microsoft could face stiff competition against the next version of Apple's flagship operating system, which would have over a year's head start when it arrives this summer. Apple will unveil Mac OS X 10.7 Lion next month at the Worldwide Developers Conference.
post #2 of 71
How embarrassing. Could you imagine Apple retracting statements from Steve Jobs?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #3 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How embarrassing. Could you imagine Apple retracting statements from Steve Jobs?

Ballmer... more and more the fool every day. It makes me wonder why they haven't canned his ass already.

Maybe they fear that he'll turn into a homicidal maniac and take out the board...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're obviously hard at work on the next version of Windows. Windows 7 PCs will sell over 350 million units this year.

"If we actually announce this year, that we will release Windows 8 next year, that number will drop to 17 units of Windows 7 sold in 20211.
So what Mr Ballmer stated was a misstatement and we're really sorry if we caused anyone undue stress or anxiety."
post #5 of 71
Maybe the release date is in 2011
post #6 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

SMH, get rid of this clown.
post #7 of 71
God. Between companies and politicians.

Can we please get over the use of "misspoke" or "misstatement".

Look. You said it, either own up to the mistake but don't try PR BS on us.
post #8 of 71
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please remain calm. It is quite common for the CEO of a company not to know the name and/or release date of their next major/minor operating/non-operating system. Instead, their attention is generally focused on the more important things...

Anyway, everybody knows that it will be called 'Windows Macrosoft OS VIII' and should be released not long after they've seen Lion.
post #9 of 71
It'll probably wind up being called "Windows 8 Live with Bing" and ship in 2014...
post #10 of 71
Too late buddy, the secret's out! So 2012 for Windows 8. I hope it's less frustrating than Windows 7.0. Hopefully Lion will be up to 10.7.5 by then, stable and beautiful just as this new unstable Windows comes out.
post #11 of 71
I wonder who had to decide to backpedal. And who had to tell the boss.
post #12 of 71
In the Windows 8 developer's headquarter:
Quote:
- Oh nooo... he did it again!! We don't have it ready till next year.
- What is he nuts?!
- Somebody stop him!!"
post #13 of 71
This doesnt mean it is not ready next year - it may mean that they want to keep the launch date a secret so sales stay higher for Windows 7.

( I know that MS do give lots of betas when ready to do so, and long before the release - but that probably does have an effect on buying decisions, particularly in the enterprise sector - they just dont want to see a fall in sales now).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ballmer... more and more the fool every day. It makes me wonder why they haven't canned his ass already.

Maybe they fear that he'll turn into a homicidal maniac and take out the board...

MS's fiscal 2012 is 7/11-6/12.

But I'd already read in several sources that the various flavors - Win Phone 8, Win Tab 8, and Win 8 wouldn't start being released before mid-2012.....

....so something's a bit odd somewhere beyond this story.....

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"If we actually announce this year, that we will release Windows 8 next year, that number will drop to 17 units of Windows 7 sold in 20211.
So what Mr Ballmer stated was a misstatement and we're really sorry if we caused anyone undue stress or anxiety."

Given their use of the word "so", they are saying this is a misstatement not because it is untrue, but because it would affect sales.

They invented a word to cover up the meaning of the statement.
Is this a form of unlying?

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #16 of 71
W8 - pronounced 'wait'.

post #17 of 71
Someone needs to shorten this guy's leash!
post #18 of 71
"We Gonna Kick A**!!! ...Not"
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #19 of 71
Quote:

If anything I can easily imagine Steve Jobs retracting statements from Apple, Ballmer or anyone else in the business
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

SMH, get rid of this clown.

Why take the chance that he will get replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing? Be careful what you wish for. Bill Gates might come back and then things would start to happen. Bill would start making we fanboys sweat bullets again.
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

God. Between companies and politicians.

Can we please get over the use of "misspoke" or "misstatement".

Look. You said it, either own up to the mistake but don't try PR BS on us.

Or the Roger Clemens defense: He "misheard," or he "misremembered."
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why take the chance that he will get replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing? Be careful what you wish for. Bill Gates might come back and then things would start to happen. Bill would start making we fanboys sweat bullets again.

Wasn't Vista a mostly Bill Gates thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

I wonder who had to decide to backpedal. And who had to tell the boss.

"The next version of Windows will be awesome"
"He said what? Dammit, we'll have to retract that too"
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

W8 - pronounced 'wait'.

Great way to start the day! Thanks.
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Microsoft wasn't as successful as it was through the end of the last century because of Gates but simply because of the force of circumstances -- i.e., dumb luck. They rode that luck, with a little help from illegal activities, for over 20 years, but it finally ran out. Think about it, if Gates is as smart as everyone thinks he is, why did he leave Ballmer in charge? Everyone knew he was an idiot and a buffoon years before he was handed the reins.
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please remain calm. It is quite common for the CEO of a company not to know the name and/or release date of their next major/minor operating/non-operating system. Instead, their attention is generally focused on the more important things...

Anyway, everybody knows that it will be called 'Windows Macrosoft OS VIII' and should be released not long after they've seen Lion.

It's obvious they are waiting for Lion to see if there's anything they can copy. They're probably already at work on a Windows Phone 7 App Store and Windows 8 App Store. (Program Store?)
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Think about it, if Gates is as smart as everyone thinks he is, why did he leave Ballmer in charge? Everyone knew he was an idiot and a buffoon years before he was handed the reins.

Because Gates is too rich to give a hoot anymore. Handing everything over to his doofus college buddy is part of his charity work.
post #27 of 71
Quote:

Like : "We'll ship the white iPhone this june".

Anyway, I don't know if Balmer speaks too much, but it isn't good publicity. Too bad, I'm curious to see what it'll look like.

And have you seen their 'History Vault'? It's like Time Machine, just uglier.
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Because Gates is too rich to give a hoot anymore. Handing everything over to his doofus college buddy is part of his charity work.

Funny, but, as exhibit B, I'll point you to Gates' video deposition in US v Microsoft. No signs of genius there. The only reason people think he is as smart as they do is because he's so rich.
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

It'll probably wind up being called "Windows 8 Live with Bing" and ship in 2014...

With a blowback date of 2015, and then a positively, out the door time frame of 2016... Maybe then it might have all the wonderful new stuff in it that they had to take out of Longhorn/Vista/Windows 7 just to get that out the door?!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #30 of 71
"Not intended to be taken as a factual statement, " says Senator Jon Kyl...

and Steve Ballmer.
post #31 of 71
Now it's official, Ballmer is an idiot.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #32 of 71
Quote:

Hmmm. I suppose you didn't see the logical contradiction there.
post #33 of 71
Poor Steve

The dude just gets so over excited he can't shut himself up. He must give the Microsoft PR team nightmares every time he hits the stage.

He reminds me more of Homer every time I see him. I'm waiting for him to do this at the Windows 8 launch
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Funny, but, as exhibit B, I'll point you to Gates' video deposition in US v Microsoft. No signs of genius there. The only reason people think he is as smart as they do is because he's so rich.

Billy boy was at least smart enough to realize Apple had it right with the first Mac OS and get his people to reverse engineer it. Other than that .... \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Poor Steve

The dude just gets so over excited he can't shut himself up. He must give the Microsoft PR team nightmares every time he hits the stage.

He reminds me more of Homer every time I see him. I'm waiting for him to do this at the Windows 8 launch

Oh please! Don't insult Homer like that!
post #35 of 71
"We regret that our leader is so dumb. The next version of our operating system will not be available until 4 years after Windows 7."
post #36 of 71
Quote:

They're probably already at work on a Windows Phone 7 App Store and Windows 8 App Store. (Program Store?)

The app store for Windows Phone 7 launched with the phone. They call it the "Marketplace".

The app store in Windows 8 was one of the core features of the leaked OEM Windows 8 docs about 12 months or so ago, so I'd bet my house that there will be an app store in Windows 8.

I've got no idea what they are going to call it though. Apparently the "Windows App Store" images released not long ago were faked.

My guess would be on calling it the "Marketplace" and giving it an "Apps" section. That would be in line with the existing digital marketplaces on WPx and Xbox.
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

In the Windows 8 developer's headquarter:

Quote:
- Oh nooo... he did it again!! We don't have it ready till next year.
- What is he nuts?!
- Somebody stop him!!"

Maybe, MS is planning to take over RIM -- and Balmer is practicing its "public" management style.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #38 of 71
Ballmer himself is a misstatement.
post #39 of 71
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #40 of 71
You've got it right, Firefly7475. Like an aimless calvary commander, too many of these corporate "hard charger" types just don't know where they are charging too. All they know is that share-holders expect them to keep the horses running.

Run Steve Run. See Steve and his horses Run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Poor Steve

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments