or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments

Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments - Page 2

post #41 of 71
That's awesome, and so true. It's hard to describe Ballmer in words, but 'Homer Simpson' pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Poor Steve

The dude just gets so over excited he can't shut himself up. He must give the Microsoft PR team nightmares every time he hits the stage.

He reminds me more of Homer every time I see him. I'm waiting for him to do this at the Windows 8 launch
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by revich View Post

You've got it right, Firefly7475. Like an aimless calvary commander, too many of these corporate "hard charger" types just don't know where they are charging too. All they know is that share-holders expect them to keep the horses running.

Run Steve Run. See Steve and his horses Run!

There was the Duke of Balmer;
He had ten thousand men!

He led them up the hill;
And led them down, again.

And when they're up, they're up!
And when they're down, they're down!

And when they're only half-way up...
They're all fucked up!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

W8 - pronounced 'wait'.

Or weight.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why take the chance that he will get replaced by someone who actually knows what they are doing? Be careful what you wish for. Bill Gates might come back and then things would start to happen. Bill would start making we fanboys sweat bullets again.

Sorry, but Bill was no genius either.
post #45 of 71
Glad to see MS reign in their Balmer boob
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Funny, but, as exhibit B, I'll point you to Gates' video deposition in US v Microsoft. No signs of genius there. The only reason people think he is as smart as they do is because he's so rich.

His vision of a tablet running a desktop OS didn't really hit the mark either.
post #47 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or weight.

all of Ballmer's announcements are weighty.
post #48 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Great way to start the day! Thanks.

Re W8 = 'wait'

Does that mean that Windows 10 will be nicknamed "Why Oh Why!" and 11 will be made by Nintendo?

Holy Nostradamus! This numerology s**t works.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Maybe, MS is planning to take over RIM -- and Balmer is practicing its "public" management style.

Ha! Microsoft would absorb RIM, and start to follow the RIM leadership model... MS would then have THREE mumbling, halfwit CEO's running the ship.
post #50 of 71
Kinda reminds me of an old Queen tune..... "Another one bites the dust".........
post #51 of 71
The biggest mystery to me about Windows 8 is it's purported platform-agnosticness without full compatibility support. The whole point of having Windows running on ARM, Tegra, Texas Instruments, etc. (besides bragging rights) is to be able to switch to the most appropriate hardware for your needs while maintaining the same workflow. The fact that Microsoft has stated there will be no compatibility with X86-written Windows software is absolutely ludicrous. Can someone explain that logic to me?
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #52 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How embarrassing. Could you imagine Apple retracting statements from Steve Jobs?

No. That would never happen. Such a thing would violate the laws of nature and rip a hole in this reality.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] "And yet, as we look forward to the next generation of Windows systems, which will come out next year, there's a whole lot more coming. [...]

Ballmer and Gates are so used to spreading FUD about Apple and other competitors that FUD comes too naturally now. Lying about their own products is just one little baby step beyond spreading FUD about others.

Ballmer thinks that pre-announcing Windows 8 is somehow beneficial. Maybe because it sounds like Microsoft is actually making progress. (Microsoft won't do any significant work on 8 until after Lion is released and they have something concrete to copy.) Maybe because it will force Microsoft's software managers to pull in their schedules and get it done sooner. (Deadly mistake since the lazy-thinker's way to shorten a software schedule is to cut back on beta testing.)

In fact, pre-announcing Windows 8 can only hurt. If Ballmer convinces corporate IT that 8 is vastly better than 7 and that it's coming soon, corporate IT will postpone purchasing 8 until it's available. Which might be as long as two years from now. Dramatically lowered sales of 7 in the meantime. That's one reason why Microsoft wants to retract Ballmer's 2012 release claim.

Microsoft desperately wants to avoid speeding up the release of 8. We've all seen what happens when Microsoft tries to rush something out the door before it's finished. Vista was only half-finished, despite its 5.5 year development period. It took so long that they finally just gave up and launched it anyway. (And let's not forget the ultimate half-assed Microsoft product: KIN.)

A 2013 release for Windows 8 is better because that would give Microsoft another year to copy Mac OS X Lion's new features. Another year to integrate Skype into 8. Another year for Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer (if they survive iPad killing off netbooks), and all the pee cee makers to put Skype-cams into all their plastic e-waste-ready pee cees.

Ballmer may or may not remember the "Osborne effect." Pre-announcing a new version of a product can be extremely costly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

The biggest mystery to me about Windows 8 is it's purported platform-agnosticness without full compatibility support. The whole point of having Windows running on ARM, Tegra, Texas Instruments, etc. (besides bragging rights) is to be able to switch to the most appropriate hardware for your needs while maintaining the same workflow. The fact that Microsoft has stated there will be no compatibility with X86-written Windows software is absolutely ludicrous. Can someone explain that logic to me?

Windows on ARM would require "universal binaries" (or something equivalent for the PC world) to work correctly between the platforms, I'd expect. That would mean that anything that wanted to run on these devices would need to recompile everything anyway - for Windows 8 specifically.

The applications that require "backwards compatibility" in the OS won't be in the current development cycle anyway. They'd need to be recompiled anyway to actually run on the ARM CPU. While they're doing that, they may as well get rid of all the backwards compatibility issues.

Its a major headache to recreate all that backwards compatibility for ARM again. If they can minimize that, they will. And in this case, it means that the software developers just need to do the work rather than returning to a 10 year old program and just "carbon copying" over onto ARM.

For the record, I think the reason they dropped backwards compatibility is far simpler:
1. They didn't NEED it because of the reason above.
2. The problem with Windows right now IS the 100-year-old crud they still have to support. ARM couldn't take the slowdowns and still receive "brilliant results" - its a way of saying "wow have a look at our fast implementation", and hiding how they did it: get rid of backwards compatibility.
post #55 of 71
The assumption is the Lion will be released this summer. That may be correct but summer doesn't end until September 23rd. I'm sure Apple will stretch the release date out as far as they can since this is a major feature release. We'll get an idea in June. I won't be surprised to see it delayed even though it is in Beta Release 3.

The "Windows 8" name is a no-brainer. In the Chinese culture 8 is a lucky number so they would be missing an opportunity to please such a large market with the naming of their next Windows product. Please don't give it another name like Vista.
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ballmer... more and more the fool every day. It makes me wonder why they haven't canned his ass already.

Maybe they fear that he'll turn into a homicidal maniac and take out the board...

Isn't the new term "going postal?"
post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"If we actually announce this year, that we will release Windows 8 next year, that number will drop to 17 units of Windows 7 sold in 20211.

Wow! That's a few millennia from now! And you think Win7 will still be around in 20211?
post #58 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The assumption is the Lion will be released this summer. That may be correct but summer doesn't end until September 23rd. I'm sure Apple will stretch the release date out as far as they can since this is a major feature release. We'll get an idea in June. I won't be surprised to see it delayed even though it is in Beta Release 3.

I predict GM at WWDC with public release within 30 days (likely 2 weeks).
post #59 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There was the Duke of Balmer;
He had ten thousand men!

He led them up the hill;
And led them down, again.

And when they're up, they're up!
And when they're down, they're down!

And when they're only half-way up...
They're all fucked up!

Reading to the grandkids again, I see.
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Microsoft desperately wants to avoid speeding up the release of 8. We've all seen what happens when Microsoft tries to rush something out the door before it's finished. Vista was only half-finished, despite its 5.5 year development period.

I thought it was closer to 8 or 9 years in its "longhorn" incarnation. I may be wrong, though.

Quote:
A 2013 release for Windows 8 is better because that would give Microsoft another year to copy Mac OS X Lion's new features. Another year to integrate Skype into 8. Another year for Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer (if they survive iPad killing off netbooks), and all the pee cee makers to put Skype-cams into all their plastic e-waste-ready pee cees.

Plus time to copy whatever follows Lion.

Adding Skype-cams to the already overloaded box made me laugh! Right alongside the floppy drive and the blu-ray drive. Not to mention the VGA, SCSI, and serial ports in the rear.
post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

How embarrassing. Could you imagine Apple retracting statements from Steve Jobs?

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Instead of just dismissing features, he could have just said something like "we're looking into it".
post #62 of 71
deleted
post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Reading to the grandkids again, I see.

Tod, Ha!

My dear departed Mother taught me many limericks (when I was the grandkids age) -- though not that particular * one!

Things like:

Two Irishmen, two Irishmen digging in a ditch...

It's part of growing up!

...and look how I turned out...

* That final line to the "Good Old Duke Of York" came about as a result of a Dale Carnegie course in effective communications. All the managers, marketing reps, and system engineers in the Las Vegas IBM office took the course -- two nights a week.

After one session where the instructor had each of us story-tell the "Duke Of York" limerick -- we all retired to the local pub. After a few rounds and joking about the lecture -- the last line kinda' wrote itself!

... one - run; two - zoo; three - tree; four - door.....

post #64 of 71
Haggar and Macrulez. The question was could you imagine Apple retracting a statement from Steve Jobs. This doesn't call for a list of quotes from Jobs designed to throw the competition off but one where he announces a product which his own team have to deny. The former is beneficial to the company, the latter detrimental.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #65 of 71
Windows 8? W-8 a minute!
post #66 of 71
Quote:

I don't think you're going to see ARM replacements for standard desktop/notebook Windows.

ARM is for phone/tablet/tv using a tailored UI/UX. x86 is for the desktop with full backwards compatibility (as well as phone/tablet/tv if Intel get Atom sorted out).

.NET provides code portability between the different architectures and form factors.
post #67 of 71
Quote:

I predict GM at WWDC with public release within 30 days (likely 2 weeks).

I hope you're right. I'm sure it won't support my late 2007 Macbook but we'll see. My late 2010 iMac will be fine though.
post #68 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by revich View Post

Like an aimless calvary commander...

Erm. I think you mean cavalry.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Smart phones?
I get a lot of pressure to do a PDA. What people really seem to want to do with these is get the data out. We believe cellphones are going to carry this information. We didnt think wed do well in the cellphone business."
- Steve Jobs

Ebooks?
It doesnt matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people dont read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people dont read any more.
- Steve Jobs

Video iPod?
Im not convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen. To paraphrase Bill Clinton, Its the music, stupid, its the music! Musics been around for a long time, will continue to be, its huge.
- Steve Jobs

Tablets?
There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. We look at the tablet, and we think it is going to fail.
- Steve Jobs

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/02/steve-jobs/

There's a fundamental difference between Steve Jobs' "denials" quoted above and Ballmer's "cat-out-of-the-bag" gaffes. In Jobs' case, his statements are carefully calculated to either downplay/divert attention away from products that are currently brewing, or equally likely, to increase speculation, anticipation of products that Apple is "not" making.

And then there's Steve Ballmer. Seriously, that man scares me.
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Erm. I think you mean cavalry.

Leading the cavalry charge up Mt. Calvery maybe?
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Leading the cavalry charge up Mt. Calvery maybe?

hahaha... Perhaps.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft retracts Ballmer's Windows 8 in 2012 comments