or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lawsuit accuses Broadway Apple Store employees of racial discrimination
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lawsuit accuses Broadway Apple Store employees of racial discrimination - Page 5  

post #161 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Before you continue with your diatribe Ted, do you live in NYC? Racism (at least in my circles) is in fact simply unacceptable and impractical. How could one be a racist, or a homophobe etc and still live in NY? it's impossible. The first sign of racism and the source will be ostracized. Period. You will never get hired for a job as a bigot, you will never make any contacts. At least half of the Apple store employees are "minorities" in NY. No one cares, unless they want to use the race card to explain away some self deficiency.

I will say however that NY is certainly a place that judges you by appearance and your ability to speak. If you want a "corporate" job (the Apple store is one of them) don't go dressed like doofus and do speak like a professional, whatever your race is and no matter what is said to you.

Further, there is a dress code at the Apple stores. Why do you think they all wear those silly shirts? It happens to be a pretty informal dress code, but I doubt overly baggy jeans and a bad attitude would fly any better than "assless" riding chaps.

Standards do not imply racism or discrimination.

I should also add that Buddhists can be racists too. I have friends from Tibet who's words are not kind to the Chinese. Understandably; so I'm not criticizing them, but the fact of the matter is we are all racist on some level. Even those in the "minority" who call out "racism" every time they can't explain why they can't get what they want.

Great post spliff monkey.
post #162 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

Whole lotta fail going on in this thread. Whole lotta fail.

Yup. Mostly yours. This little morsel was especially choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

I'm never someone to say this, but god damn this thread has a lot of racist comments.

Yeah... you NEVER say it. Never. And then you can't STOP with it. Riiiiiight. I believe every word you say. Everyone else is racist though. Just not... you, 'cause you never make that kind of accusation. Never! Yup. You got nothin' but credibility.
post #163 of 213
There is video evidence of this alleged incident, so I guess we'll all see the real deal soon, and what really happened.
post #164 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

That, and the conversation the suit alleges that they recorded. It seems there should be enough evidence to settle this matter one way or the other pretty easily.

Having said that, some of the specific allegations just don't pass the smell test. It sounds so completely out of character for an Apple Store and an Apple retail employee. I would also wonder how soon the phone recording started. Too early and it sounds a bit like a set-up of some kind. I know that when I am feeling hassled by someone, a cop at a traffic stop for instance, the last thing I think about is pulling out my iPhone to document the situation. I think about it later, but not in the emotional moment. Unless I was expecting trouble, which could be the case for these guys. Anyway, I hope that AI does some follow up on the particulars as I am curious what the evidence will show.

Actually, some people carry a digital recorder to job interviews and many other places where discrimination could happen. So, I would not be surprised to learn that these two men caught every detail the Apple staff said from start to finish. "Why carry a digital recorder to a retail store," you might ask. Well, retail stores are the main places Blacks and Latinos experience the most racism and discrimination. This might actually influence more people to protect themselves with digital recorders.

In fact, Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jessie Jackson used to provide video cameras to so called "neighborhood watch groups" in an effort to document police brutality and racial profiling, to put an end to the shame and madness. The results where a sharp reduction in police brutality and racial profiling against Blacks and Latinos. So, maybe that what it takes. If it works, then why not use the technology to advocate for what right?
post #165 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post


In fact, Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jessie Jackson used to provide video cameras to so called "neighborhood watch groups" in an effort to document police brutality and racial profiling, to put an end to the shame and madness.

And in fact, when there is no evidence, they'll fabricate their own (Tawana Brawley + feces + rape + disgusting hoax).
post #166 of 213
What I find ridiculous is these guys are trying to suggest that for no reason whatsoever an Apple employee came up to them and basically said, "I don't like black people, and I want to you get the hell out of here!" Not only that but it seems rather convenient he was say something like, "yah, I'm discriminating against you solely because you're black and no other possible reason, but consider me God so you have to leave because I said so."

The entire scenario suggests there are glaring relevant facts either being completely eschewed, or just grossly exaggerated for their own benefit.

I would believe the following happened just about as much as I believe an Apple employee would approach a Jewish customer for no reason whatsoever and say, "get the hell out of the store you damn dirty Heeb," "... that's right ... you heard me you underhanded, big nosed liar. If we had a gas chamber I'd throw you in it." It's just so offensive and without cause or foundation it's absurd to suggest such a thing would happen. And if it did you don't think anyone in the general area (of even another employee) wouldn't have heard it and been equally offended. Yet, basically, this is EXACTLY what these guys are saying happened to them ...

I simply don't believe it as they described it happening.
post #167 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

In business, how you dress in an interview is a big indicator how much you want the job and how professional you can be. You can wear whatever you like outside of work, but you need to be a professional if you want those jobs that actually make good money or have good perks. I ALWAYS look at how an applicant is dressed. It doesn't have to be a $1000 suit or anything, but are they dressed in a professional manner? Do they talk in a professional manner? (regardless of accent) I have hired many people of all races over the years and apply the same standards on everyone. Many of my team speak english as a second language as well. So what it all comes down to is can you dress/act professionally when needed? If you come to an interview in baggy or "trendy" clothes, then no matter if you have a doctorate I will send you packing.

My post was in reference to what someone else said about not willing to hire the two men who was kicked out of Apple. So, what's your point? Are you saying these two men need to "dress/act" like you and your co-workers just to shop at Apple? I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post. Apple INTERVIEW AND HIRE people who wear baggy clothing, tattoos, ear rings, nose rings, purple hair, etc. What you would do is irrelevant!
post #168 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

Are you kidding? Everyone in New York wears Dre Beats headphones. Apple sells them in store last time I saw.

Like I wrote, only rich or dumb people would pay $300 at an Apple Store. Any person with more smarts than dollars would either buy less expensive headphones (nobody I know has or wants those, despite what you claim about "everyone" in NYC) or if they really want Beats, would buy them on Amazon for $180 refurbished.
post #169 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple/// View Post

Great post spliff monkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Before you continue with your diatribe Ted, do you live in NYC? Racism (at least in my circles) is in fact simply unacceptable and impractical. How could one be a racist, or a homophobe etc and still live in NY? it's impossible. The first sign of racism and the source will be ostracized. Period. You will never get hired for a job as a bigot, you will never make any contacts. At least half of the Apple store employees are "minorities" in NY. No one cares, unless they want to use the race card to explain away some self deficiency.

I will say however that NY is certainly a place that judges you by appearance and your ability to speak. If you want a "corporate" job (the Apple store is one of them) don't go dressed like doofus and do speak like a professional, whatever your race is and no matter what is said to you.

Further, there is a dress code at the Apple stores. Why do you think they all wear those silly shirts? It happens to be a pretty informal dress code, but I doubt overly baggy jeans and a bad attitude would fly any better than "assless" riding chaps.

Standards do not imply racism or discrimination.

I should also add that Buddhists can be racists too. I have friends from Tibet who's words are not kind to the Chinese. Understandably; so I'm not criticizing them, but the fact of the matter is we are all racist on some level. Even those in the "minority" who call out "racism" every time they can't explain why they can't get what they want.

What do you mean by "corporate job"? These are sales specialist and teach specialist. When they go shopping and are not wearing an Apple logo shirts at work, they too wear whatever they want and believe me most of them dress pretty much similar to the two men who where kick out of the store. Even at work, some of them wear baggy pants along with the Apple logo shirts. Steve Jobs even dress like he's wants -- you'll never see him wearing the "corporate job" clothing, no suit and no tie for him. By way, next time you go to an Apple Store keep you eyes open for staff with tattoos and be sure to tell them they have a corporate job.
post #170 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, I think Howard Hughes' involvement in Las Vegas hotels had more to do with the breakdown of racial barriers than any "boycott" by the rat-pack.

Hughes' involvement brought legitimacy and international corporate perspective to the Las Vegas Hotel and Gaming industries -- it changed everything!

Hughes did indeed bring Big Business to Las Vegas, but given that he was widely regarded as a life-long racist I doubt he did much to bring Sammy into the clubs.
post #171 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im imagining someone calling 911 in terror because teenagers are walking around in baggy jeans and hoodies. Oh the humanity!

PS: Whats worse: baggy jeans or those low-cut, skin tight hipster jeans that guys were these days. Ill go for the baggy jeans and go find myself a belt instead of the sperm-count lowering hipster look. Hipster jeans: where fashion meets birth control.

for me the worst were the low cut jeans crowned by a pair of high riding thongs. Mmmmmm
post #172 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Yup. Mostly yours. This little morsel was especially choice:



Yeah... you NEVER say it. Never. And then you can't STOP with it. Riiiiiight. I believe every word you say. Everyone else is racist though. Just not... you, 'cause you never make that kind of accusation. Never! Yup. You got nothin' but credibility.

There's really only one way to settle this. We should go to an apple store with baggy sweatpants, sweatshirts "with a hood", and see if we get asked to leave.

The reason why I said numerous times before that I typically dont take this position is because I dont. You can say that I habitually play the "race card" but I dont. I know how frustrating topics like this are when your opinion is that its the supposed victim's fault, or that the supposed victim simply made it up. My opinion is typically in line with that position. However upon reading this story today, and knowing just how crowded apple stores are and how many different kinds of folks are in there, it really struck me the wrong way.
post #173 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

What I find ridiculous is these guys are trying to suggest that for no reason whatsoever an Apple employee came up to them and basically said, "I don't like black people, and I want to you get the hell out of here!" Not only that but it seems rather convenient he was say something like, "yah, I'm discriminating against you solely because you're black and no other possible reason, but consider me God so you have to leave because I said so."

The entire scenario suggests there are glaring relevant facts either being completely eschewed, or just simply grossly exaggerated for their own benefit.

I would believe the following happened just about as much as I believe an Apple employee would approach a Jewish customer for no reason whatsoever and say, "get the hell out of the store you damn dirty Heeb," "... that's right ... you heard me you underhanded, big nosed liar. If we had a gas chamber I'd throw you in it." It's just so offensive and without cause or foundation it's absurd to suggest such a thing would happen. And if it did you don't think anyone in the general area (of even another employee) wouldn't have heard it and been equally offended. Yet, basically, this is EXACTLY what these guys are saying happened to them ...

I simply don't believe it as they described it happening.

Huh, you just called yourself out! Looks like you know the language of racism very well and I bet you practice what you preach. I never heard anyone say anything like it! Was that your attempt to educate us?
post #174 of 213
Since Apple employs Geniuses not Psychics they shouldnt be asking anyone to leave UNTIL they CATCH them doing something wrong. Not just looking wrong. The threshold for looking wrong should be much higher than baggy clothes. If someone saw a weapon or saw them attempting to steal that is another matter all together. But, being black, poorly dressed, or having long hair is not grounds for suspicion, especially not action.

Making a judgment on looks alone IS the very definition of discrimination. Whether the store employees were racist or not is impossible to tell from this short post. But they were definitely biased, and bias is the precursor to racism and discrimination. They were wrong it is that simple.
post #175 of 213
Seems VERY unlikely to me. I was there on Monday, and was served by a number of employees, two of whom were African-American themselves. There were other employees who showed a very multiethnic Apple indeed: one spoke Spanish and French to other customers; another was speaking Polish to a customer.
post #176 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And in fact, when there is no evidence, they'll fabricate their own (Tawana Brawley + feces + rape + disgusting hoax).

I got your hint and, until you just showed me, I never heard of Tawana Brawley. I don't know if she was telling the truth or lying. But the point I made was simple: audio and video evidence reveal the facts. Maybe if there was no video tape of the Rodney King beating, then his story would have been dismissed as hoax too since he was a drug addict and ex-con. But ask yourself did that man deserve to get beaten bloody by police officers? The answer is "no." And do you know for sure that Tawana Brawley was not raped by the police, similar to what recently happen to another young lady less than one month ago? Again, the answer is "no." It's a shame that we have to reopen such deep wounds but you think this stuff funny or something. You are a heartless person trying to make an irrelevant point.
post #177 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

for me the worst were the low cut jeans crowned by a pair of high riding thongs. Mmmmmm

Are we stll talking about males because I gender bias on the issue of low-cut jeans and thongs.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #178 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlord View Post

Since Apple employs Geniuses not Psychics they shouldnt be asking anyone to leave UNTIL they CATCH them doing something wrong. Not just looking wrong. The threshold for looking wrong should be much higher than baggy clothes. If someone saw a weapon or saw them attempting to steal that is another matter all together. But, being black, poorly dressed, or having long hair is not grounds for suspicion, especially not action.

Making a judgment on looks alone IS the very definition of discrimination. Whether the store employees were racist or not is impossible to tell from this short post. But they were definitely biased, and bias is the precursor to racism and discrimination. They were wrong it is that simple.

You are explaining the legal definition of reasonable cause for being arrested, not being thrown out of an establishment.

For example common courtesy is a very reasonable philosophy for getting along in a civilized society. In this case I'd be willing to bet there was more than baggy clothes involved. Probably some anti-social behavior as well. There is also a thing called respect for the business owners. Hoods are not entitled to disrupt the normally cordial, pleasant and friendly environment found in Apple stores by causing fear and anxiety among the patrons which is exactly what thug mannerisms do regardless of whether any legal wrong doing was involved.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #179 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

You are a heartless person trying to make an irrelevant point.

I can assure you that my heart is functioning perfectly well. I do admit to having a soft spot in my heart for cute fuzzy animals, such as cats or dogs. On the other hand, I have no soft spots in my heart for trash.

You were the one who brought up Al Sharpton, a well known race instigator, a convicted slanderer, liar and overall useless person. Where there is no racism, he and his ilk will invent it.
post #180 of 213
"The fact that the guy is a 50+ white male is a red flag for sure"?????????
That sounds like a racist sexist and ageist comment to me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

There is nothing in the incident as described that suggests *racial* discrimination to me. Stores are allowed to discriminate as long as it doesn't get racial.

The fact that the guy is a 50+ white male is a red flag for sure, but the fact that these guys appeared to be dressed like (and perhaps acting like), booster artists is definitely a factor as well.

As with most things like this, it probably isn't worth arguing about without video. So much of the story is down to the attitudes and body language of those involved. The defendants could be two innocent guys in baggy clothes, or two suspicious looking a-holes. The white guy could be a decent fellow trying to do his job or a complete racist bastard. We just don't know.

It does sound like the very manager they found to hear their complaint (not the dude who thought he was god), is also the one who called security on them, so it's not like the Apple store employees were in any disagreement about these guys.

That being said, I've also had an Apple store employee (a manager in fact), freak out on me and force me to leave the store. Many emails and phone calls later the manager was disciplined from what I was told.
post #181 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are we stll talking about males because I gender bias on the issue of low-cut jeans and thongs.

Yes, males, and yes, call me genderist, too, but only up to a point
post #182 of 213
OK - they all need their day in court. This is the judicial system at work. I'm sick of people coming to conclusions based on a snippet of news.

White mail in his 50s, black men with baggy trousers - it's telling that anyone would jump to conclusions based on traits. It's like these are just props for some morality play.

I just hope there is enough evidence for a fair hearing for all. All people deserve justice and respect.

[goes back to AI's home page to look for news about Apple.]
post #183 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

Huh, you just called yourself out! Looks like you know the language of racism very well and I bet you practice what you preach. I never heard anyone say anything like it! Was that your attempt to educate us?


Actually, I'm Jewish ... and I have had people say things even worse than that to me, but not in the context of a representative of a company to me (as a customer). We're talking about things that have been said as one individual to another ... not some institutionalized policy of racism.

It's the same difference between having an Apple employee saying something like that to a Jewish customer, and another customer in the store saying the same thing ... the former is acting in an official capacity with the company, the latter represents their own self.

Furthermore, one does not have to be a racist or hold racist beliefs to be able to recognize of be familiar with racist language. It's not like racial epitaphs and slurs are magically and uniquely comprehended by racists alone ... by virtue of being a racist.
post #184 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

My post was in reference to what someone else said about not willing to hire the two men who was kicked out of Apple. So, what's your point? Are you saying these two men need to "dress/act" like you and your co-workers just to shop at Apple? I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post. Apple INTERVIEW AND HIRE people who wear baggy clothing, tattoos, ear rings, nose rings, purple hair, etc. What you would do is irrelevant!

Wow, it is huh? Have you seen how people interview for jobs that actually pay a decent wage? I am guess not but your animosity toward me for providing an example where most businesses (outside of those that market for teenage employees) want people to dress for the job. Where I work we have a very professional atmosphere. Apple HQ is the same. In the Apple store they DO have a dress code for the employees. I would bet that MOST of the time if 2 people applied for a job at an Apple store and one came is wearing trendy clothes with rips and tears and another took the time to put on clothes that were clean and neat, the 2nd person would get the job.

Maybe you should put on a 2nd coat of skin because you are obviously VERY thin-skinned.

Oh, and reading your replies to everyone else kinda paints you as a racist baiter as you see racism everywhere and everyone is a racist according to you. That my friend is one of the BIG problems with race in the US today. People calling out "racist!" when it is not there are just as bad as those dill-holes that are being racist. Also, this may be news to you, it is also racist to assume that just because someone is white, they are a racist.
post #185 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Hughes did indeed bring Big Business to Las Vegas, but given that he was widely regarded as a life-long racist I doubt he did much to bring Sammy into the clubs.

Can you document that "life-long racist" comment -- not simply quotes from a novel or movie?

I have never heard accusations or even rumors of Hughes being a racist.

As the builder of several international enterprises, Hughes had to, and was comfortable with, operating within the laws and customs of the times.

Las Vegas was run like an old west cowboy town and, largely, set its own rules. For example, prostitution was not illegal within the Las Vegas City Limits -- but was illegal in Clark County.

Before Hughes, the Casinos were, largely, run by the mob. The hotels and all their services were geared towards support of the gaming -- often at break-even or at a loss.

Las Vegas was very segregated for its time -- and everyone kinda' looked the other way, rather than take on the mob.

When, Hughes started buying casinos and hotels, his team made each component a profit center -- that paid its own way or was dropped.

Rapidly, the prices of the near-freebies (rooms, meals, shows, etc.) went up to make them profitable and accountable. Other hotels followed suit.

Concurrent with this renaissance, the State's political system changed as did the State Gaming Comission.

The popular belief of the time was that the "mob" would under-report the Casinos' take to avoid paying taxes.

Those in the know, said just the opposite -- the "mob" would add proceeds from illegal prostitution, etc. to the casinos' take to legalize it (while paying taxes).

Nobody seemed to really know.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #186 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

The reason why I said numerous times before that I typically dont take this position is because I dont.

The word you used was 'never'. Not 'typically don't'. So you've lied AND now you've lied about the lie.

You're just building credibility like crazy.

Now, you could say you 'exaggerated' when you said 'never'. Hyperbole is understandable and even acceptable. Problem is, you want one claim (your statement about 'never' making loose 'racism' charges) to be taken as 'hyperbole' but then you also want your completely unsubstantiated charges of 'racism' to somehow be accepted as incontrovertible 'fact'.

And I have no respect for that. None, zero, zip. You're kidding yourself, and while I'm sure that somehow works for you in your life, it does nothing at all for me at this end.
post #187 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Good. They better treat you well otherwise they are discriminating based on appearance. It's one thing for a Rolls Royce dealer to look at a client and size them up. The Apple Store should treat all well behaved customers with respect no matter if they are thugged out or not.

The people here disagreeing with that have a screw loose. They are seriously out of date IMO.

I don't agree that a Rolls-Royce dealer should size people by their clothes; they'd be a fool to do so.

Thirty five years ago, I was working my way through college at a Porsche dealership and a long-haired guy wearing sandals came in. He left with a 911. He was Patrick O'Neill of the O'Neill brothers as in wetsuits.

One of my ex-clients is a band manager who doesn't shave for weeks and has hair down to his shoulders. He makes $5 million a year.

No one is going to walk into a Rolls-Royce dealer and put a Phantom in his baggy pants and walk out undetected.
post #188 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

I don't agree that a Rolls-Royce dealer should size people by their clothes; they'd be a fool to do so.

Thirty five years ago, I was working my way through college at a Porsche dealership and a long-haired guy wearing sandals came in. He left with a 911. He was Patrick O'Neill of the O'Neill brothers as in wetsuits.

One of my ex-clients is a band manager who doesn't shave for weeks and has hair down to his shoulders. He makes $5 million a year.

No one is going to walk into a Rolls-Royce dealer and put a Phantom in his baggy pants and walk out undetected.

Good points!

Say, you are at home and your computer breaks, or you need an accessory. Are you going to re-rag just to go to the friendly/local Apple store... I think not!

Mike Scott (Apple's first CEO) would bring his computers into our store -- usually wearing a T-shirt and baggy shorts, same with Regis McKenna, Dean Witter III and even Tod Rungren.

It gets pretty warm in Silicon Valley.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #189 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mike Scott (Apple's first CEO) would bring his computers into our store -- usually wearing a T-shirt and baggy shorts, same with Regis McKenna, Dean Witter III and even Tod Rungren.

I thought Mike Scott managed a paper company.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #190 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought Mike Scott managed a paper company.

Yes... Green pieces of paper -- about the size of punched cards.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #191 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

I got your hint and, until you just showed me, I never heard of Tawana Brawley. I don't know if she was telling the truth or lying.... And do you know for sure that Tawana Brawley was not raped by the police, similar to what recently happen to another young lady less than one month ago? Again, the answer is "no."

You total and complete MORON. She ADMITTED she made it all up.

And the truth is JUST THIS EASY TO FIND.

The one and only reason you "don't know" is because you don't WANT to know.

What a clown. And you know how someone gets to be that big a clown? They do it by never, ever admitting they're wrong. Especially when they're THIS wrong.

Nah, Shadoe's not wrong. Everyone ELSE is wrong.
post #192 of 213
It may be a minor point, but I don't see anything indicating that the Apple Store employees are alleged to have made any reference to what the pair were wearing - that information appears to have been provided by the Plaintiffs.

The report also states that the employee specifically denied that it was because they were black. At this point all we are left with is two people ejected from a business for unspecified reasons (which could include current behavior or past encounters as well as prejudicial discrimination), so suggesting that it may have been race- or clothing-related is pure speculation.
post #193 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

You total and complete MORON. She ADMITTED she made it all up.

And the truth is JUST THIS EASY TO FIND.

The one and only reason you "don't know" is because you don't WANT to know.

What a clown. And you know how someone gets to be that big a clown? They do it by never, ever admitting they're wrong. Especially when they're THIS wrong.

Nah, Shadoe's not wrong. Everyone ELSE is wrong.

Yes, and? Does one person's lie mean that every other instance of systemic racism is a lie as well? How does that work? I'm assuming that's your reasoning, since you seem very worked up over a completely irrelevant bit of business.

Maybe one's distaste for Al Sharpton means that any black person that speaks publicly of racism is a charlatan and a fraud? Again, how does that work?

Lots of white liars and cheats and frauds. Do they speak to white character, or the validity of white grievances? Remember the white girl who claimed to have had acid thrown in her face by a black women, and it turned out she was lying?

So can I dismiss the complaints of whites in this thread that feel unjustly singled out? Because, it would appear, white people are liars. Is that how that works?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #194 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

You total and complete MORON. She ADMITTED she made it all up.

And the truth is JUST THIS EASY TO FIND.

The one and only reason you "don't know" is because you don't WANT to know.

What a clown. And you know how someone gets to be that big a clown? They do it by never, ever admitting they're wrong. Especially when they're THIS wrong.

Nah, Shadoe's not wrong. Everyone ELSE is wrong.

There are plenty of conflicting reports I just Googled in less than 10 minutes concerning Tawana Brawley. Some are saying she still insist she was telling the truth, some are saying she admitted to lying because of death threats to her and her family, some are saying she consented to having intercourse with those cops but pretended to be a victim, etc. So, it's still a mystery what really happen but even if she agreed to have intercourse with dirty cops, it was still rape because she was a minor. And let me get this strait, do you really think I'm a moron and clown for not knowing about an old outdated case? But there are several fresh cases in the news, some as recent as just last month involving cops raping women and girls. But since you know about all that, I need not mention it, right? And even if you don't know about them, I'm not going to call you moron or clown for it. What's your point? What are you trying to prove? You trying to dog me because you and your friends are racist and you're ashamed of yourself. By the way, many of the recent cop rapist cases involve victims of various races - Black, White, Latino, etc. So, you need to get pass your race problem because It's as simple as this: some cops are good and some cops are bad!
post #195 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

By the way, many of the recent cop rapist cases involve victims of various races - Black, White, Latino, etc. So, you need to get pass your race problem because It's as simple as this: some cops are good and some cops are bad!

The same can be said for store owners, managers, employees, customers -- and forum posters.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #196 of 213
Maybe Apple didn't know the staff member was part of a Klan?
post #197 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

lMaybe one's distaste for Al Sharpton means that any black person that speaks publicly of racism is a charlatan and a fraud? Again, how does that work?

Maybe I just don't care for liars - or their apologists. That too complex for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoe View Post

I'm not going to call you moron or clown

Because you're above that sort of thing? Yeah, you just call people racists.
post #198 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can you document that "life-long racist" comment -- not simply quotes from a novel or movie?

Didn't know him personally; perhaps you did. There may be something in these 217,000 hits for "Howard Hughes racist" that may be helpful in your search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Howard+Hughes+racist

Quote:
As the builder of several international enterprises, Hughes had to, and was comfortable with, operating within the laws and customs of the times.

Las Vegas was run like an old west cowboy town and, largely, set its own rules. For example, prostitution was not illegal within the Las Vegas City Limits -- but was illegal in Clark County.

Before Hughes, the Casinos were, largely, run by the mob. The hotels and all their services were geared towards support of the gaming -- often at break-even or at a loss.

Las Vegas was very segregated for its time -- and everyone kinda' looked the other way, rather than take on the mob.

When, Hughes started buying casinos and hotels, his team made each component a profit center -- that paid its own way or was dropped.

Rapidly, the prices of the near-freebies (rooms, meals, shows, etc.) went up to make them profitable and accountable. Other hotels followed suit.

Concurrent with this renaissance, the State's political system changed as did the State Gaming Comission.

The popular belief of the time was that the "mob" would under-report the Casinos' take to avoid paying taxes.

Those in the know, said just the opposite -- the "mob" would add proceeds from illegal prostitution, etc. to the casinos' take to legalize it (while paying taxes).

1. Do you honestly believe the mob is no longer involved in Las Vegas casinos?

2. What does paying taxes have to do with racism?
post #199 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Walk like a thug, talk like a thug and dress like a thug, you can't complain about the reception you get.
Do you think they would have been tossed if they were wearing an Armani suit?

I would say your right most of the time but I worked for BB part time with a friend of mine (black) who was the dept. supervisor. Some lady who had her laptop in for repair basically refused to talk to him because he was black. So despite it being 2011 there are still rude and uneducated people out there.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

post #200 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Didn't know him personally; perhaps you did. There may be something in these 217,000 hits for "Howard Hughes racist" that may be helpful in your search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Howard+Hughes+racist

This is a great illustration of the problem with the 'racist' charges being made in this thread.

First off, MacRulez cites "217,000 hits" as if it were some sort of overwhelming proof that Hughes was racist. There are others makes similarly blithe observations.

Well. let's take an actual look at the very first one:
Why this dishonest portrait of a despicable figure?

This is the 'World Socialist Web Site'. The post states that Hughes was a 'fanatical anti-communist' who 'purged' RKO of 'left-wingers'. So I can see why this particular writer might have his knickers in a twist over him. But where's the evidence of racism?

Well, the piece says: "Hughes... was a lifelong racist and anti-Semite."

No evidence, no anecdotes, nothing. Just the allegation. Which, for some, is (sadly) more than reason enough to smear someone.

Second link: Howard's Character - THE LEGENDARY HOWARD HUGHES JR.

Relevant text: "Howard Hughes had a bias against blacks, thus making him a racist... Howard was influenced by a race riot which convulsed Houston on August 23, 1917. On that night, a contingent of black soldiers who were part of the national guard unit camped outside the city and rioted over the way the Houston police earlier manhandled a black fellow soldiers... The riot made an indelible impression on Howard. Fifty years later, he would site that same riot of 1917 as the reason his Las Vegas casinos should never give into pressures from blacks for more jobs."

So Hughes would not give MORE jobs to blacks (note: "more", not "any") under pressure because he was afraid of rioting.

Doesn't exactly sound racist. Sounds like there's more to the story. Hughes, you might recall, famously and fiercely resisted pressure from ANYBODY - including the U.S.Government. And that instance is the one and only example given of Hughes' 'racism'.

I actually went through a number of those posts, looking for something substantial. Nothing.

But hey! "217,000 hits"!! It MUST be true. No need to actually check. Hughes was a racist!

So easy to sling allegations. Just ask Joe McCarthy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Lawsuit accuses Broadway Apple Store employees of racial discrimination