or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'

Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'

post #1 of 52
Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook is rumored to have visited South Korea last week to talk with executives from Samsung about switching to an AMOLED display for the third-generation iPad.

The claims stem from a story published by The Korea Herald, highlighted by OLED-Info.com. A source reportedly said the third-generation iPad could launch toward the end of this year.

The report claims that Apple offered Samsung "an advance" for active-matrix organic light-emitting diode displays to guarantee capacity. Currently, the iPad 2 employs an IPS LCD display, the same screen that was used in the first-generation iPad.

The report claims Samsung's Super AMOLED displays offer brighter screens, less sunlight reflection and reduced power consumption. It also claimed that the new screens have a "significant advantage" over existing traditional LCD displays.

The report also said Apple's rumored switch to AMOLED screens from Samsung could spell trouble for LG, which currently provides LCD screens for the iPad 2. Earlier this month, it was claimed that light leaks that occurred with LG-manufactured iPad 2 displays caused Apple to already shift most of its existing touchscreen purchases to Samsung.

Rumors of Apple adopting AMOLED technology are nothing new, and even existed before the iPad was formally announced last year. And last December, it was said that limited supply of AMOLED screens was a "major reason" that Apple overlooked the technology for the iPad 2.

Other rumors suggest that Apple is working on a high-resolution Retina Display for a future iPad model. Apple coined the term Retina Display with the release of the iPhone 4 last year, claiming that the screen's 326 pixels per inch was more than the human eye could discern.
post #2 of 52
Current AMOLED and Super AMOLED still leave a lot to be desired in performance against IPS LCD displays. He was more likely to have been visiting to see the new hi-resolution displays utilising Samsung PenTile technology. Although PenTile displays have issues with correct colour reproduction at present, giving strange hues to human skintones etc.
post #3 of 52
deleted
post #4 of 52
You'd think Apple would be trying to reduce its reliance on Samsung as much as possible. It seems like Sharp would be a good supplier. Sharp at least can relate to Samsung "borrowing" its patents. Perhaps even Sony would be a good supplier.
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You'd think Apple would be trying to reduce its reliance on Samsung as much as possible. It seems like Sharp would be a good supplier. Sharp at least can relate to Samsung "borrowing" its patents. Perhaps even Sony would be a good supplier.

Wondering that also, but the suits have not been real contentious. It seems that sometimes large companies decide to sue each other as a business strategy, to have the court make decisions that they are not able to reconcile.
post #6 of 52
No! No! No!

The biggest problem with the otherwise excellent current iPad display is how badly it performs in sunlight. The LAST thing we need is a switch to AMOLED -- those things are practically invisible in sunlight -- they make Apple's LCDs look like eInk when it come to sunlight performance.

Please say it isn't true. Get us a LCD Retina display, let the mom's basement dwelling Android users have all the AMOLED they want. In the future work on some sort of dual LCD/eInk type display for great sunlight performance.
post #7 of 52
Maybe he was just going there for a status update on what they have coming up in the pipeline?
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Sony, after the Japanese earthquake can't supply its own products, let alone anyone else's and will be posting another loss in the billions. Who knows how much longer they will be a going concern.

Samsung is a much better prospect -- those lawsuits are "strictly business" to quote the Godfather.
post #9 of 52
Troll alert (you know whom I mean)! It's not even worth dignifying his comment or his name with a repost.

Please don't respond to him.
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Current AMOLED and Super AMOLED still leave a lot to be desired in performance against IPS LCD displays. He was more likely to have been visiting to see the new hi-resolution displays utilising Samsung PenTile technology. Although PenTile displays have issues with correct colour reproduction at present, giving strange hues to human skintones etc.

I feel PenTile displays have an even worse problem in that because each pixel doesn't have 3 subpixels, lines look like complete crap. Text looks "off" because the grid isn't uniformly aligned. If anything, I'd say it's all about hi-resolution IPS displays that would make the iPad 3 really shine compared to the competition. AMOLED (even Super AMOLED Plus) would really just be a lateral move at this point).
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report claims Samsung's Super AMOLED displays offer brighter screens, less sunlight reflection and reduced power consumption. It also claimed that the new screens have a "significant advantage" over existing traditional LCD displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

No! No! No!

The biggest problem with the otherwise excellent current iPad display is how badly it performs in sunlight. The LAST thing we need is a switch to AMOLED -- those things are practically invisible in sunlight -- they make Apple's LCDs look like eInk when it come to sunlight performance.

Please say it isn't true. Get us a LCD Retina display, let the mom's basement dwelling Android users have all the AMOLED they want. In the future work on some sort of dual LCD/eInk type display for great sunlight performance.

Did you read the article? Do you think technology never makes any progress?
post #12 of 52
So, Apple fanbase.....SAMOLED is good ???

hahahaha..what a joke!
post #13 of 52
The point here is that Apple continually investigates alternatives to what they are using, whether it be an existing technology or something that is under development.

Apple prototypes dozens, if not a hundred designs and only one reaches market. There are probably iPads in a lab in Cupertino with AMOLED and Super AMOLED displays, Retina displays, two dock connectors, SD card slots, etc.

Nothing can be inferred from Cook's visit to South Korea. Word of such a visit would likely spur Samsung's competitions to increase their efforts to compete for Apple's business.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

No! No! No!

I have a Zune HD and I can confirm this. Even at highest brightness, I still can't see a thing.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I have a Zune HD and I can confirm this. Even at highest brightness, I still can't see a thing.

And the few times I've found myself in sunlight with the iPad all you have to do is crank up the brightness to the top and it becomes quite visible again anyway. It burns through the battery, but it's still possible to use an iPad on a sunny day and have it quite useable.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Did you read the article? Do you think technology never makes any progress?

Yes, I read the article. The way I interpret is: "The new AMOLEDs are better in sunlight than the old AMOLEDs" Too bad they are still horrible compared to IPS LEDs, which, surprise, are also improving.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please share.
post #17 of 52
You can be sure that they talked about more than new displays.... its probable now that Apple has the next five "iPhone/iPad killers" to look deep into the technology before they are put into distribution gives them a powerful club.... can you imagine what would happen if production was halted/stopped by the courts of their next generation products?

Having the upfront money to mass produce the next technology in panels also give Apple another advantage.... both need each other, but the jig is up on the copy/infringement stuff....

It will be worked out, but to Apple's advantage you can be sure of that
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

hahahaha..what a joke!

Nice try, now go back and read all comments in this thread to find out there isn't a single person cheering for AMOLED screens on the iPad 3.

It doesn't make sense anyway, AMOLED panels that size are way too expensive, and people would appreciate a huge jump in pixel density a whole lot more than somewhat better blacks and overblown colors.
post #19 of 52
Daniel Eran story about why newer AMOLED displays are better than LCD in... 3, 2, 1
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #20 of 52
In related news, Samsung announces it's new line of tablets surprisingly will utilize "active-matrix organic light-emitting diode displays". A spokesperson for Samsung says, "Our displays are almost identical to those used by the industry leader..."

post #21 of 52
So much for shifting away dependence on Samsung.
post #22 of 52
9.7” AMOLED+ displays? I didn’t think that was close to being financially viable for that size. it seems like OLED was only on the 3.x”Android-based smartphones and LCDs on the 4.x” Android-based smartphones.

Assuming Cook really is visiting Samaung to discuss OLED for the iPad I wouldn’t think it’s for the iPad 3. Any new OLED tech on the horizon that could make this possible in a couple years?

Assuming Cook is visiting but and for OLED related discussions I hope it’s for an AMOLED trackpad on future Mac notebooks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 52
it is very likely that Apple is gathering test models of a lot of components. It doesn't mean any of them will pass the test

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #24 of 52
Time to update some old information regarding AMOLED's and Pentile sub-pixels.

The display in the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amole...tion-explained

post #25 of 52
IMO, not sure the present iPAd2 screen could be much better for general use. But I have not seen what a high ppi display would look like. My very limited understanding is these IPS displays is that they are 'relatively' expensive.

(IMO IPS is worth it compared to these cheap arse PC laptop screens)

If Tim Cook is in town to Samsung... I would presume its either to renew existing contracts or make new deals. If its a new deal, with a new SUPERDUPERPOOPERWHOOPER-OLED displays; I think we can be pretty confident that Apple vetted it out and meets their strict ergonomic/power usage standards.

But then again, they did create the new nano... ut-oh(bites finger nails).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

The display in the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

The new Samsung Infuse has huge 4.5” Super AMOLED+ screen "features 50%
more sub-pixels for better contrast and outdoor readability". The Infuse is only 8.99 mm thin (iphone is 9.3 mm), features 4G data, 18 GB internal memory, up to 32 GB external memory and 1750mAh battery!

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...p9mt?WT.srch=1

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The new Samsung Infuse has huge 4.5 Super AMOLED Plus screen "features 50%
more sub-pixels for better contrast and outdoor readability". Phone is 8.99 mm thin, features 4G data and 1750mAh battery!

Image: ]http://www.smartphoneenvy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Samsung-Infuse-4G-vs-Apple-iPhone-4.jpg

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...p9mt?WT.srch=1

I prefer the Samsung Galaxy S II at 4.3 and HSPA+ @ 21Mbps. That phone is too big. Even the 4.3 devices are near too big if they include too much bezel.

My criteria for bring too big: Being unable to hold the device in one hand and have my thumb accurately tap on every inch of the phone without having to reposition how my hand is holding the device.

How much battery life do you get from that 1750mAh battery with LTE enabled? The HTC Thunderbolt came with a 1400mAh battery and the duration was poor. They created a backpack battery that doubled the capacity (and thickness) and I dont think it made it last as long as the iPhone does.
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I prefer the Samsung Galaxy S II at 4.3 and HSPA+ @ 21Mbps. That phone is too big. Even the 4.3 devices are near too big if they include too much bezel.

My criteria for bring too big: Being unable to hold the device in one hand and have my thumb accurately tap on every inch of the phone without having to reposition how my hand is holding the device.

How much battery life do you get from that 1750mAh battery with LTE enabled? The HTC Thunderbolt came with a 1400mAh battery and the duration was poor. They created a backpack battery that doubled the capacity (and thickness) and I dont think it made it last as long as the iPhone does.

Samsung claims talk time "Up to 8 hours 50 minutes". AMOLED display consumes less power. My cooworker has this phone and based on my experience the 4.5" size is perfect especially considering how thin this phone is. It is actually easier to hold phone of that size while making a call.

My wife has 4.3" Evo and 10" iPpad. So for email and light web browsing she actually prefers Evo exactly based on the ease of its one-hand operation.

post #29 of 52
They could also visit the Lego company in Denmark. That company has survived in the highly competitive toy market for 62 years, and could warn Apple about some of the pitfalls to avoid with the iPad 3.
post #30 of 52
Quote:

Samsung claims talk time "Up to 8 hours 50 minutes". AMOLED display consumes less power.

1) I haven’t seen any reviews showing an average usability of AMOLED besting OLED backlit LCDs in anything other than the common “it uses less power because it doesn’t use the backlight when there is black to be shown.

2) I also haven’t read any good battery reviews, even on Android forums. I’ve even read that it takes about as long to charge as it takes to drain the battery with normal use.

Quote:
My cooworker has this phone and based on my experience the 4.5" size is perfect especially considering how thin this phone is. It is actually easier to hold phone of that size while making a call.

My wife has 4.3" Evo and 10" iPpad. So for email and light web browsing she actually prefers Evo exactly based on the ease of its one-hand operation.

I’d like to see another iPhone model hit the market, which to me means a larger display size, but I think 4.3” is about as big as I’d go. Remember, Apple uses a 2:3 ration, not 16:9.

iPhone — 3.5” diagonal = 1.94” x 2.91” = 5.65” squared

3:2 — 4.3” diagonal = 2.39” x 3.58” = 8.53” squared
3:2 — 4.5” diagonal = 2.50” x 3.74” = 9.35” squared Almost a half an inch wider and over 1.5” more my thumb has to travel to reach the opposing corner, something it can’t do without moving the rest of my hand.

For comparison:

Galaxy S II — 4.3” = 2.19” x 3.66” = 8.15” squared
Galaxy Infuse — 4.5” diagonal = 2.31” x 3.86” = 8.93” squared

The rumor of the 4” iPhone is looking more realistic if we assume that Apple will not change the aspect ratio of the device (which I think is a very safe bet).
3:2 — 4.0” diagonal = 2.22” x 3.33” = 7.38” squared
post #31 of 52
Quote:

Samsung claims talk time "Up to 8 hours 50 minutes". AMOLED display consumes less power. My cooworker has this phone and based on my experience the 4.5" size is perfect especially considering how thin this phone is. It is actually easier to hold phone of that size while making a call.

There is many misconception about AMOLED.

Power consumption of AMOLED screen depend on what is display on the screen while LCD depend only on the brightness of the backlight. A white screen on AMOLED consume more power then on equal LCD. In practical use there is no clear winner on power consumption.

Beside it's contrast ratio (pure blacks) AMOLED got not much advantage from LCD. Right now all AMOLED suffer of poor lifespan with color shift on aging (blue pixels fade out after few years). Outdoor readability is worst than LCD and Pentiles pixels matrix is an ugly way to patch a brightness issue with AMOLED screens.

I much prefer keep an proven technology over new hipped technology that have not pass the test of time yet.
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Almost a half an inch wider and over 1.5 more my thumb has to travel to reach the opposing corner, something it cant do without moving the rest of my hand.

True. But moving a thumb to extreme corners is not a frequent task. Most of the time you would use the middle 80% of screen.

I am spoiled by my 4.3" screen and would not go back even to 4.0". I use a lot of stock chart browsing, email and 4.5"- or even thin 5" would be ideal for me, it is still on-hand operation device.

Another good thing is that Android browser runs in full screen mode auto hiding top and bottom bars. iPhone top/bottom bars consume usable browsing space making that 3.5" screen even smaller.

post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amole...tion-explained

They finally got RGB sub-pixel arrangement for current Android phone display resolution which is lesser then the iPhone @ 326dpi. Every "retina display" AMOLED prototype are going back to pentiles arrangement.
post #34 of 52
Quote:

True. But moving a thumb to extreme corners is not a frequent task. Most of the time you would use the middle 80% of screen.

The design of iOS has most back buttons at the top left corner. Since I’m right-handed like most people this means my thumb is pulling to the top left to go back in apps. I currently don’t have to stretch my thumb, just extend it, but even if I stretch it I can’t get the needed extra 2cm without repositioning the phone in my hand to sod so. From a usability standpoint I’d say Apple will not be making a 3:2 4.3” or 4.5” display for future iPhones.
post #35 of 52
I think Tim is in Korea to have a high level, forthright discussion of the Apple-Samsung relationship.

He is there to let Samsung leadership know that Apple really does want them to stop aping Apple's iPhone and iPad. This is a war/peace negotiation. He's probably telling them that they risk losing Apple as a business partner and Apple finds their copying actions unacceptable.

The leaked AMOLED rumor is just a bit of diplomatic theater to minimize customer and shareholder concerns.
post #36 of 52
I have a Samsung Omnia HD with super AMOLED display, comes with 2 batteries out of the box.

It takes good pics and video in the sun, but pretty useless for everything else. If the display like everyone is saying, actually uses less energy, then the rest of the phone is consuming all of what is saved. I'd say, this phone cannot stay uncharged in standy mode, with no activity (no calls what so ever), for more than 2/3 days (hence they give you two batteries). If you don't charge it everyday, you are more than likely left with one bar on the battery meter and die in mid call. Even when you charge it daily, but if you leave the phone turned on (i.e. not power off) while charging, it may show you it's fully charged, but it's not and will be down to 1 to 2 bars the next day with almost no activity. You need to power down this phone when charging to have the charge stay in operating range for 2 to 3 days. I have banned future Samsung products in my household because of this phone.

Currently very happy with the iPhone 4. I hope Apple knows what they are doing, and find a way to make the most out of Samsung components if they are increasing their reliance on Samsung (I've been told they made certain good components, but I have not recovered from my experience).
post #37 of 52
This would be a step backwards for apple unless they could par with Samsung.

A SAMOLED screen would be preferred as the simple AMOLED screen Still requires that 1 glass plane above the touchscreen. But I think the odds are small that Samsung would want to manufacture SAMOLED + screens for apple when they can barely catch up on manufacturing the screens for their own products.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Daniel Eran story about why newer AMOLED displays are better than LCD in... 3, 2, 1

Yes? And if new tech is better than old tech, why would that be a problem?

There's no hypocrisy or fan boyism to say that a given technology is inferior while it is inferior, then say that same general technology is superior if it gets improved enough to actually be superior. It's not like Daniel or anyone posting here are insisting that Apple can never upgrade their hardware because it's perfect now.

BTW, when did you stop contributing anything to the forums besides cranky negativity? Has the failure of Apple to make a TV bummed you out? Come on man, get working on some mockups and cheer up!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

hahahaha..what a joke!

Weird. It's like you're hallucinating in your own little world.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Troll alert (you know whom I mean)! It's not even worth dignifying his comment or his name with a repost.

Please don't respond to him.

A sound policy.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'