or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'

Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3' - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I havent seen any reviews showing an average usability of AMOLED besting OLED backlit LCDs in anything other than the common it uses less power because it doesnt use the backlight when there is black to be shown.

2) I also havent read any good battery reviews, even on Android forums. Ive even read that it takes about as long to charge as it takes to drain the battery with normal use.

Google is your friend.

LCD's dont use OLED as backlights. It uses LEDs.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clau View Post

I have a Samsung Omnia HD with super AMOLED display, comes with 2 batteries out of the box.

Omnia HD doesnt have Super AMOLED. It has regular AMOLED. Big difference my friend.

Google is your friend if you dont know the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

This would be a step backwards for apple unless they could par with Samsung.

A SAMOLED screen would be preferred as the simple AMOLED screen Still requires that 1 glass plane above the touchscreen. But I think the odds are small that Samsung would want to manufacture SAMOLED + screens for apple when they can barely catch up on manufacturing the screens for their own products.

The 5.5 Generation plant will be ready by the end of this month/summer. Its capable of increasing output from 30,000 panels to 300,000 panels per month. Samsung said that the Super AMOLED screens will be made available to third party OEMs once the production facility have been finished.

post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

But then again, they did create the new nano... uh-oh(bites finger nails).

The redesigned nano primarily exists to upsell adult customers to an iPod touch. By removing the click wheel they removed the primary reason (other than price) people sight for preferring the nano over an iPod touch. Children seem to manage the screen ok with their smaller fingers.

I also think it's strategically part of their forward planning. At some point in the future the cost of manufacturing the nano will start to bump up against the cost of manufacturing the shuffle and Apple may seek to drop the shuffle from the line-up, making the nano the new "budget" model. In the current form factor it would be relatively trivial to make the nano display "clickable" in four directions (think ipod shuffle) so that there is no loss of functionality for visually impaired users upgrading from a shuffle.
post #44 of 52
Two things:
1: High resolution. This means so much for reading.
2: Outdoor performance.

I'm sure Apple is very aware of the iPad's shortcomings. But I'm not sure they realize how serious they should think about outdoor performance. LCD and glass is an extremely bad idea for outdoor experience. I feel they must do something about both. I haven't seen the Nook Colour in person, but they're going for a daylight friendly screen it seems. In the long run I think that kind of display will be the best for everyday use, once that technology matures. The iPad is so portable and will very often end up in bright situations.
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Samsung claims talk time "Up to 8 hours 50 minutes". AMOLED display consumes less power.

The screen is turned off if you're on a call, so talk time battery life and screen technology are completely unrelated.

As someone else already noted, AMOLED uses less power when displaying a lot of blacks, and more power when displaying a lot of whites, very similar to plasma TV sets. Now what colors do you see more on your smartphone, whites and other bright colors, or blacks?

Another problem with AMOLED is that it a good AMOLED screen has a lower maximum brightness than a good LCD screen, and that AMOLED screens don't calibrate well to some kind of standard gamut. The colors on AMOLED screens are always blown out of proportion to make them pop out, which looks nice, but it's actually not so great for watching videos or pictures because the colors will be different from what the author intended in the source material. For phones this is not really a problem, but for tablets (which are much more useful for heavy video/picture use), it is.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The screen is turned off if you're on a call, so talk time battery life and screen technology are completely unrelated.

I would not say "completely unrelated", since the initial part of phone call does use the screen.

Quote:
As someone else already noted, AMOLED uses less power when displaying a lot of blacks, and more power when displaying a lot of whites, very similar to plasma TV sets. Now what colors do you see more on your smartphone, whites and other bright colors, or blacks?

True about higher power consumption for whites, but, according to Wikipedia, still in general OLED offers better power efficiency. "LCDs filter the light emitted from a backlight, allowing a small fraction of light through so they cannot show true black, while an inactive OLED element does not produce light or consume power"... "While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 6080% of the power of an LCD".

A typical Android UI does not use white as predominant tone:
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...i=g10&aql=&oq=

Quote:
Another problem with AMOLED is that it a good AMOLED screen has a lower maximum brightness than a good LCD screen, and that AMOLED screens don't calibrate well to some kind of standard gamut.

Actually, according to Wikipedia OLED offers "Wider viewing angles & improved brightness: OLEDs can enable a greater artificial contrast ratio (both dynamic range and static, measured in purely dark conditions) and viewing angle compared to LCDs because OLED pixels directly emit light."

Precise calibration normally only matters for professional visual design and video/image editing, but not as much for a consumer phone.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #47 of 52
I think this is a ploy by Samsung to get a sneak peek at Apple's iPad 3 designs.

Samsung: "Er... yeah.... Tim, would be great of you to come down and, uh, you know, check out our kick-ass OLED for tablets. Don't forget to bring some iPad 3 prototypes, yeah?"
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The 5.5 Generation plant will be ready by the end of this month/summer. Its capable of increasing output from 30,000 panels to 300,000 panels per month. Samsung said that the Super AMOLED screens will be made available to third party OEMs once the production facility have been finished.

Apple will need, oh, I don't know, at least 6 million Super AMOLED screens A MONTH if used in the iPhone 4, not to mention the iPad 3
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple will need, oh, I don't know, at least 6 million Super AMOLED screens A MONTH if used in the iPhone 4, not to mention the iPad 3

Notice I never said, SCREENS.

I said PANELS.

Manufacturers make large panels which are then cuts into individual screens.

Panels ==> Screens ===> to OEMs.

Usually, one panel hold about 50-80 screens. Therefore, 300,000 x 80 = 24 Million SCREENS a month.

Chip makers dont make individual chips, they make them from large wafers, which in turn cut into individual chips.

Wafers ==> Chips ===> to OEMs.

Attention to detail my friend.

An an EE engineer, its my lifestyle.

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Notice I never said, SCREENS.

I said PANELS.

Manufacturers make large panels which are then cuts into individual screens.

Panels ==> Screens ===> to OEMs.

Usually, one panel hold about 50-80 screens. Therefore, 300,000 x 80 = 24 Million SCREENS a month.

Chip makers dont make individual chips, they make them from large wafers, which in turn cut into individual chips.

Wafers ==> Chips ===> to OEMs.

Attention to detail my friend.

An an EE engineer, its my lifestyle.

Ah, thank you for clarifying. Interesting, at 24 million *screens* a month Apple could suck up almost all of that if they needed to. Hence, still not enough capacity to supply the iPhone 4S/5. Maybe enough to supply the iPad 3, but will these SuperAMOLED be available in iPad 3 Retina resolutions?
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yes? And if new tech is better than old tech, why would that be a problem?

There's no hypocrisy or fan boyism to say that a given technology is inferior while it is inferior, then say that same general technology is superior if it gets improved enough to actually be superior. It's not like Daniel or anyone posting here are insisting that Apple can never upgrade their hardware because it's perfect now.

BTW, when did you stop contributing anything to the forums besides cranky negativity? Has the failure of Apple to make a TV bummed you out? Come on man, get working on some mockups and cheer up!

Your ridiculous comments cheer me up.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #52 of 52
I also agree with wanting to see more mockups.

Here are my requests:

» An AppleTV HDTV with HD FaceTime camera, on screen widgets, etc.
» An Apple Home Server with at 3 removable 3.5" HDD in the footprint space of the new Mac mini.

Ireland, I don't know it takes you to create a mockup but you should get with Kasper to see if the site could use someone with your skill set to make renders based on limited data. It such mockups were unique to AI they could benefit and therefor you could benefit.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple's Tim Cook visits Samsung to discuss OLED screens for 'iPad 3'