or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote

post #1 of 158
Apple announced on Tuesday that in less than a week, Chief Executive Steve Jobs will return to the stage, along with a team of company executives, to present Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and iOS 5 -- and to introduce its new iCloud service.

The Worldwide Developers Conference keynote will begin Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple confirmed that it will show off the now-officially-named iCloud, dubbed "Apple's upcoming cloud services offering." No additional details were given.

Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and iOS 5, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

WWDC will feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers. Mac developers will see and learn how to develop world-class Mac OS X Lion applications using its latest technologies and capabilities. Mobile developers will be able to explore the latest innovations and capabilities of iOS and learn how to greatly enhance the functionality, performance and design of their apps. All developers can bring their code to the labs and work with Apple engineers.

Though Tuesday marks the first official confirmation of the iCloud service, its existence was hardly a secret. The company acquired the iCloud.com domain name for an estimated $4.5 million in April.

AppleInsider exclusively reported that same month that Apple was utilizing the iCloud name with several products under development. It is expected that iCloud will replace the existing MobileMe cloud service, which offers e-mail and syncing of contacts and calendars.

A major new component of iCloud is expected to be a music streaming service that will allow users to access their music library from any Internet-connected device, like an iPhone, without the need to save music files locally on the device. It is expected that the product will scan users' iTunes libraries and then mirror them with Apple's own high-quality audio files stored in the cloud.

Monday's announcement of iCloud via a press release less than a week before the WWDC keynote is a strange decision for the secretive company. But in addition to the new service, Apple must also showcase Lion, its next version of Mac OS X, as well as iOS 5 during the keynote to kick off WWDC.

The picture for Lion is slightly more clear, as Apple first showed off the Mac software update last October and preview releases of the software have been provided to developers. Lion will bring iOS features "back to the Mac," including home screens, tighter integration with the Mac App Store, new multi-touch gestures, and full-screen applications that auto-save and auto-resume.

As for iOS 5, both it and Mac OS X Lion are rumored to have deep connectivity with the new iCloud service. Numerous reports have claimed that iOS 5 will offer improved voice commands, but the software is not expected to be unveiled alongside new iPhone hardware. Apple's fifth-generation iPhone is expected to show up sometime later this year, and not at WWDC.

A more recent iOS 5 rumor from last week suggested that Apple also plans to add widgets to its mobile operating system. It was also said that Apple plans to revamp its notification system, a part of the operating system that has been heavily criticized when compared to competing platforms like Google Android and HP's Palm webOS.
post #2 of 158
"Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and Lion, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch."

Or do you mean...."And iOS"
post #3 of 158
Long live Steve Jobs
Long live Mac & iOS
Long live Apple's USER & communities
post #4 of 158
9to5Mac is reporting the same, but I'm not able to find the source in Apple's website...
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #5 of 158
A great day for Apple.

An even greater day next Monday.

Welcome back Steve.
post #6 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaffle View Post

"Also set to be revealed by Jobs and Apple executives are Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X, and Lion, the next version of Apple's mobile operating system for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch."

Or do you mean...."And iOS"

No, AI got this right. The 2 will be so well integrated that they are the same. Trust me. That's going to be the "One more thing".
post #7 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

9to5Mac is reporting the same, but I'm not able to find the source in Apple's website...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html
post #8 of 158
I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to username@me.com from mac.com... what next? username@icloud.com? oy.....
post #9 of 158
Quote:

Thank you!
post #10 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayne33 View Post

No, AI got this right. The 2 will be so well integrated that they are the same. Trust me. That's going to be the "One more thing".

In your dreams. There is no way iOS and Lion could be one in the same so soon. Maybe a future OS version but definitely not Lion.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #11 of 158
Meh. iCloud. Lion. iOS5.

Whens the real changes?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #12 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

In your dreams. There is no way iOS and Lion could be one in the same so soon. Maybe a future OS version but definitely not Lion.

OK OK, too early in the morning for sarcasm, lesson learned.
post #13 of 158
I hope Steve is doing alright and he's up to that whole presentation thing !
post #14 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The keynote will begin Monday, June 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple confirmed that it will show off the now-officially-named iCloud, dubbed "Apple's upcoming cloud services offering." No additional details were given.

Apple NEVER tells anyone about ANYTHING before official launch. I don't buy this. EDIT: HOLY CRAP, IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THEIR PR PAGE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE?!

Quote:

As freaking if.

Quote:

OK OK, too early in the morning for sarcasm, lesson learned.

That wasn't sarcasm, that was just plain being wrong.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

post #15 of 158
I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.
post #16 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixbsd View Post

Long live Steve Jobs
Long live Mac & iOS
Long live Apple's USER & communities

Harrumph of assent. (Blazing Saddles style.)
post #17 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Harrumph of assent. (Blazing Saddles style.)

Mister Snitch Johnson is right!

post #18 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Meh. iCloud. Lion. iOS5.

Whens the real changes?

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

I myself am very excited to see what iOS5 will bring.
post #19 of 158
I thought that a return of SJ was as likely as Duke Nukem forever going GM
I am happy to be wrong on both acccounts, and most happy for the former
post #20 of 158
June 6, 2011... D-Day... The invasion begins... On the Beaches of Mosconi...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #21 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It WAS obviously, a decent shot at sarcasm. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #22 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

So what would qualify as a REAL change then? The holomac that projects the entire UI holographically? Macs migrating to ARM processors? Apple launching their own line of apparel?

Holograph would be a bit better. Just a bit.
post #23 of 158
Quote:

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. [sarcasm]I'll work on making it a little more obvious next time[/sarcasm]

In all reality, if Apple tried to agglomerate/merge the 2 OS's now, I think the dev world would collectively explode. As Realistic pointed out in a their response, such fusion is possible in the future; perhaps when the iOS and Mac OS divide is characterized by a more subtle difference in functionality than a completely different UI experience.
post #24 of 158
Quote:

Mister Snitch Johnson is right!

Howard Johnson. Snitch was run out of town earlier and we will NEVER speak of him again.
post #25 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I'm curious what our next email address will be now....

I just finally got all of my contacts put through to username@me.com from mac.com... what next? username@icloud.com? oy.....

I hope you are right. A small thing perhaps, but I was never really comfortable with the ...@me.com. Sounded a bit egocentric or something. I still use ...@Mac.com exclusively!

I much prefer ...@iCloud.com though!

Best
post #26 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Howard Johnson. Snitch was run out of town earlier and we will NEVER speak of him again.

"The sheriff is a B-*BONG*-llmer! "

post #27 of 158
There's bound to be one more thing. This cant be it. What have they being doing for the last while?
post #28 of 158
AAPL up 1.75% $6 and change

This will be significant -- it will set the base and define the direction for Apple for the next 5 years.

post #29 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There's bound to be one more thing. This cant be it. What have they being doing for the last while?

Working on a great new desktop OS, mobile OS, and cloud services actually worth paying for.

Yeah, that's a job for Friday evenings. They've obviously been wasting their time.

post #30 of 158

post #31 of 158
Quote:

Working on a great new desktop OS, mobile OS, and cloud services actually worth paying for.

Yeah, that's a job for Friday evenings. They've obviously been wasting their time.

Hopefully there are widgets. And holographs.
post #32 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://www.asymco.com/

I'm confused. Apple is different than Mac?

Oh, is the 272% including iDevices? That's idiotic; just put them all in one or don't have iDevices at all.

post #33 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm glad Steve will be there, but it sounds like one of those keynotes where is more like the MC, handing off the individual presentations to other execs. I prefer when he does the whole thing. He used to do a 90min presentation all by himself without skipping a beat.

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.
post #34 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Nobody else comes close. He's got mad skills. Combined with the founder-in-the-garage thing nobody can touch a Jobs presentation.
post #35 of 158
It seems obvious to me that by Apple choosing to announce what they are going to present before they do it that they have something up there sleeves. Now I def. can't wait for June 6.
post #36 of 158
The CloudMe site is active:

CloudMe

Quote:
What is CloudMe?

CloudMe is a free web-based file storage service that you can access directly from your mobile or your browser.

Our cloud-based service is focused on giving you anywhere access to your online files, thus the name - CloudMe.

Edit:

Oops... There, then gone in an instant!!

AIR, pricing was:

-- 20 GB free with ads
-- buy additional 20 GB disks for $20 / year with ads
-- 100 GB without ads at $99 / year

post #37 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I second that. I love what I'm seeing in OS X 10.7, it's great stuff, but it's all evolutionary and it most likely won't significantly change my day-to-day use of my OS X machines.

iOS 5 on the other hand, I expect a lot from that. The things I'm most interested in is (of course) the notification system, the way it will handle multi-core CPU's (I'm pretty sure it's going to have some twist that makes it much easier for developers to exploit multiple cores compared to other OS's), and what new API's and frameworks will be available. My prediction is that the notification system and some minor UI changes and gimmicks such as widgets will attract most of the attention of the general public, and that many people will be disappointed that iOS 5 will not introduce a massive UI overhaul (I don't think it's going to happen), but that meanwhile, under the hood, so many things will change that iOS 5 will open a whole new world of opportunities for developers. Looking forward to it
post #38 of 158
awesome.Seems there will be one more thing. Maybe two more things.
post #39 of 158
but not three more things.

greedy?
post #40 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No, that's exactly what he should do. In fact, it might even be better if he wasn't there at all. One of the problems with Steve and Apple is that he's made it seem like that he's the whole company. His "insistence" on doing these presentations even when he's still officially on personal leave only reinforces the notion that no other executive in the company is capable of making such a presentation except for him.

He makes occassional "thank you's" to the team, but it still comes across as "all Steve, all the time." Even if his health wasn't an issue, he needs to begin stepping back so that the market is assured that the rest of the exec team can run the company. Otherwise, whenever he does leave, whether it's by choice (like Bill Gates) or because of health issues, the stock won't crash to absurd lows based on the false assumption that without Steve, Apple can't be successful. And if Apple doesn't have anyone else who can give exciting, credible presentations, then they need to hire those types of people.

IMO, the CFO should present the sales/financial review and the head of each product team should present the new services/products. Steve (since he'll obviously be there), should act as moderator and booster for his team of execs.

I agree, it reeks of ego. You see this all the time in science with the head of the group presenting everything, but it is badly received. Share the wealth and acknowledge those involved, it only makes you stronger.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote