or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases Pages, Keynote and Numbers for iPhone and iPod touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases Pages, Keynote and Numbers for iPhone and iPod touch

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday expanded its iWork productivity software suite to the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing Pages, Keynote and Numbers from the iPad.

Pages, Numbers and Keynote (iTunes links) are now universal applications available for both the iPhone and iPod touch. For those who already purchased any of the iWork applications for the iPad, which are still available for $9.99 each, the software is available as a free update through the iOS App Store.

"Now you can use Keynote, Pages and Numbers on iPhone and iPod touch to create amazing presentations, documents and spreadsheets right in the palm of your hand," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The incredible Retina display, revolutionary Multi-Touch interface and our powerful software make it easy to create, edit, organize and share all of your documents from iPhone 4 or iPod touch."

Created for the Mac and then completely redesigned for iOS, Keynote, Pages and Numbers allow users to create and share presentations, documents and spreadsheets on the go.

Keynote, Pages and Numbers import and export documents from iWork for Mac and Microsoft Office; print wirelessly using AirPrint; and include Apple-designed themes and templates. All iWork apps now include improved document management with thumbnail images that let users find files quickly, organize them and group them into folders using gestures. From the Tools button in the toolbar, users can share any presentation, document or spreadsheet without leaving the app.



Keynote comes with with animated charts and transitions. Users can play a presentation in Full Screen view on the high-resolution Retina display or connect to a projector or HDTV for a large audience. Available separately, the Keynote Remote app allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control a Keynote presentation on any iOS device or Mac.

Pages takes full advantage of the high-resolution Retina display on iPhone 4 and iPod touch so users can see all the detail of their documents. On the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch, Smart Zoom automatically zooms in to follow the cursor when editing, and zooms back out when finished.



Numbers uses Multi-Touch gestures and an intelligent keyboard to help create spreadsheets with over 250 functions, tables and charts. Just like Pages, Numbers takes advantage of the high-resolution Retina display and Smart Zoom on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch.



Keynote, Pages and Numbers are universal apps that run on iPad and iPad 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, and iPod touch (3rd & 4th generation). Keynote, Pages and Numbers are available from the App Store for $9.99 (US) each for new users, or as a free update for existing iWork for iPad customers. Keynote Remote is sold separately via the App Store for 99 cents (US).
post #2 of 56
I've been waiting for Pages on iPhone.

Yay!

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #3 of 56
Not sure how much I'll use it, but a nice upgrade nonetheless. It'll probably function mostly for emergencies for me when I don't have my iPad with me and need to change a few details on a presentation, etc. Adequate syncing is what I'd really like to see implemented stat.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
Reply
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

print wirelessly using AirPrint;

Speaking of AirPrint, is OS X Lion going to have AirPrint functionality built-in for ANY printer (like what was supposed to be introduced in Snow Leopard a few updates ago), or is it still going to be on a per-printer basis (a la with HP's ePrint series)?
post #5 of 56
Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote. How will they introduce an update for the Mac (from '09), or is that still not in the cards?
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote. How will they introduce an update for the Mac (from '09), or is that still not in the cards?


Exactly my thought. I was really hoping for a new version of iWork next week. This makes it less likely. Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Speaking of AirPrint, is OS X Lion going to have AirPrint functionality built-in for ANY printer (like what was supposed to be introduced in Snow Leopard a few updates ago), or is it still going to be on a per-printer basis (a la with HP's ePrint series)?

Does AirPrint require a running computer?
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Does AirPrint require a running computer?

Yes, the computer must be running
post #9 of 56
What, no ad-hoc AirPlay support for Keynote to an AppleTV?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Exactly my thought. I was really hoping for a new version of iWork next week. This makes it less likely. Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.

Maybe not. Maybe Apple released the iOS update this week so next week, when it introduces iCloud can also introduce and demo the new iWork and iWork.com for Macs. Since iDevices are already networked devices all they real have to allow is access to iCloud for files which may just be a flip of a switch for MobileMe users.

PS: Maybe some coders with too much time on their hands will scour the new iWork for iOS code line by line looking for clues.


Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Does AirPrint require a running computer?

As I understand it there are two ways to use AirPrint. Either a network-capable printer with AirPrint or any printer connected to a networked'PC' with AirPrint installed.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Speaking of AirPrint, is OS X Lion going to have AirPrint functionality built-in for ANY printer (like what was supposed to be introduced in Snow Leopard a few updates ago), or is it still going to be on a per-printer basis (a la with HP's ePrint series)?

It was pulled because of a patent dispute and the dispute doesn't look likely to end anytime soon.

So ... no.

On the other hand, I've heard if you search teh Internets you can find a way to enable it for yourself.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Odd that they would announce this a week before the keynote.

I'd say great timing. Next week they'll tell us how to keep documents from the iPad and iPhone in synch. Right now it's kinda pointless to have pages on iPad and iPhone if you can't access the same documents without a hard sync. Hard syncing sucks.

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.
post #12 of 56
It seems that there is still no AirPlay support in this version. It would be so useful! In fact Airplay should be enabled across the board on iPhone, iPad and OS X to allow us to use our big TV as output for whatever we want (Movies, Videoclips, Presentation but also for webbrowsing, playing... etc.)
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday expanded its iWork productivity software suite to the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing Pages, Keynote and Numbers from the iPad. ...

I find this kind of disappointing actually. It's a lame update for a bunch of apps that really are in need of some updates.

I was hoping for a serious update to these very apps at the WWDC in consort with the new iCloud, now that's much less likely.

I do *all* my writing in Pages, but I'm almost ready to dump it if they don't update it to a more useable app soon. The first serious word processor for iOS that's actually well designed will likely lure me away. Apple just doesn't seem to want to devote any serious resources to Pages.
post #14 of 56
I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

On the other hand, I've heard if you search teh Internets you can find a way to enable it for yourself.

Or just buy a real printer driver that can print to anything, like you did before airprint came out.
post #16 of 56
"amazing"!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Exactly my thought. I was really hoping for a new version of iWork next week. This makes it less likely. Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.

This is really really pathetic. I use iWorks every day. It is better then Office but so buggy and with so poor compatibility with the Office suite (that 95% or more are using) that I'm about to dump the whole thing.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Available separately, the Keynote Remote app allows an iPhone or iPod touch to control a Keynote presentation on any iOS device or Mac.

Really, since when?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.

I had to resync about three times but it finally showed up on my iPhone.
post #20 of 56
I use a Touch. Went to my daughter's house where she had an HP wireless printer. It worked like a charm. No computer needed. Just located the printer on the App.
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?

Evidently not seeing as how they just delivered iWork on iPhone/iPod Touch <sarcasm>

Lion is going to have WebDAV as a peer filesharing service. We should be able to drop files into a folder and via WebDAV pick it up from any iOS device running the proper OS.

It's not always about doing word processing on a phone it's about viewing the files you need.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Too bad... iWork is really in need of an overhaul.

What kind of overhaul does it need?
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What kind of overhaul does it need?

Head gaskets.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out. Or just enable "Open In" support so you can send your documents to Goodreader or iFiles. You can't do real work without a real file system, and apple refused so make one, but at least Open In would allow you to work around it.

I don't really get this announcement. Who wants to do word processing on their iPhone? The only good this would be is to do some basic stuff on the go away from your iPad, but since it doesn't sync with iPad, what's the point?

All this announcement does is underline the fact that apple STILL hasn't pushed out freaking iWork '11. Do they even care about iWork anymore?

The point is Apple is going to introduce iCloud next week. So just sit tight for one more week.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this kind of disappointing actually. It's a lame update for a bunch of apps that really are in need of some updates.

I was hoping for a serious update to these very apps at the WWDC in consort with the new iCloud, now that's much less likely.

I do *all* my writing in Pages, but I'm almost ready to dump it if they don't update it to a more useable app soon. The first serious word processor for iOS that's actually well designed will likely lure me away. Apple just doesn't seem to want to devote any serious resources to Pages.

Are you crazy? Have you actually tried to use the latest Microsoft Word? It's a nightmare! Pages is a frickin' dream in comparison.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 56
I am going to assume that Apple has a new iVersion of iWork for WWDC and is using this release to test the software a bit on the iPods and iPhones the new version will support.

The internet is full of examples of simple necessary things iWork can't do. I've been waiting until the next version to upgrade myself. iWork hasn't been updated in a long time, so it is definitely due.
This is not an update, it's more an extension.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I refuse to buy iWork for iOS until apple offers some sort of wireless file transfer, either dropbox or hopefully this new iCloud that's coming out.

I just wirelessly transferred a document I created on my iPhone to iDisk - I can edit, view, delete, etc from all of my devices(Macbook Air, iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc).
post #28 of 56
Is the update on iTunes? I searched the App store on my iPhone and nothing came up. When I looked in iTunes it says the app was last updated in January 2011, not May 31.
post #29 of 56
I think that Apple may just be clearing the decks with this iWork announcement and the iCloud mention -- Gruber said it best: "Guess the keynote is full".
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4+Quattro View Post

Is the update on iTunes? I searched the App store on my iPhone and nothing came up. When I looked in iTunes it says the app was last updated in January 2011, not May 31.

How hard would it be to click the link from the article from your iPhone?
post #31 of 56
How do you update Keynote for the iPad and not include AirPlay support?

AirPlay is already amazing for presentations when you have a low cast AppleTV in the conference room. Not sure why I cannot throw presentations at it.
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Head gaskets.

+++


(And while it's in the shop, have them lubricate the muffler bearing.)
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you crazy? Have you actually tried to use the latest Microsoft Word? It's a nightmare! Pages is a frickin' dream in comparison.

Thank you!
And Numbers on ipad is freaking awesome. I'm able to whip up a spread sheet in seconds! Who the hell need Windows man. Scr** them. I'll get the whole iworks for iphone on my next paycheck.
HELL YEAH!!!
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I've been waiting for Pages on iPhone.

Yay!

Yeah well, I've been waiting too. Far too long. Just jumped ship to Android and am finding the Productivity Apps just as great if not better than Apples'.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are you crazy? Have you actually tried to use the latest Microsoft Word? It's a nightmare! Pages is a frickin' dream in comparison.

No, I quit Word and moved all my writing to Pages a couple of years ago. What I'm saying is that when the iPad version of Pages came out I switched all my writing to Pages on the iPad and much prefer writing on the iPad to any other tool as it's always with me and syncs to the cloud.

It's Pages on the iPad that is seriously lacking and it's been a long time between updates. Pages on the iPad does not currently even support the full feature set of Pages. Crucially, (for me), you also can't edit or control style sheets on it at all.

Overall, I find Pages on the iPad to be a fairly boring replication of Pages on the Desktop but with half the features missing and a lot of the flexibility. They need to re-design it for touch to begin with, and find a way to add in the rest of the features without making it all cluttered.

----

Interesting side-note (because I haven't seen it mentioned yet) ....

This latest update for Pages takes away the option of saving to the cloud. (!)

I think this is a clue that the "iCloud" will be saving a mirror of everything in the documents folders of your apps (Pages, Numbers, etc.), because it doesn't make sense to take away the ability to save unless that's the case. If there is no way to save, then it must be saving automatically (I hope).

So Apple have tipped their hand here a bit perhaps.
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No, I quit Word and moved all my writing to Pages a couple of years ago. What I'm saying is that when the iPad version of Pages came out I switched all my writing to Pages on the iPad and much prefer writing on the iPad to any other tool as it's always with me and syncs to the cloud.

It's Pages on the iPad that is seriously lacking and it's been a long time between updates. Pages on the iPad does not currently even support the full feature set of Pages. Crucially, (for me), you also can't edit or control style sheets on it at all.

Overall, I find Pages on the iPad to be a fairly boring replication of Pages on the Desktop but with half the features missing and a lot of the flexibility. They need to re-design it for touch to begin with, and find a way to add in the rest of the features without making it all cluttered.

----

Interesting side-note (because I haven't seen it mentioned yet) ....

This latest update for Pages takes away the option of saving to the cloud. (!)

I think this is a clue that the "iCloud" will be saving a mirror of everything in the documents folders of your apps (Pages, Numbers, etc.), because it doesn't make sense to take away the ability to save unless that's the case. If there is no way to save, then it must be saving automatically (I hope).

So Apple have tipped their hand here a bit perhaps.

Hoping for great things with iCloud. Maybe this time they'll finally get it right.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What, no ad-hoc AirPrint support for Keynote to an AppleTV?

You seem to not know what AirPrint is by this question. AirPrint is for PRINTING not for displaying on a screen which is what you'd do with AppleTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As I understand it there are two ways to use AirPrint. Either a network-capable printer with AirPrint or any printer connected to a networked'PC' with AirPrint installed.

Then you go and get it right here.

That's truly amazing.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

You seem to not know what AirPrint is by this question. AirPrint is for PRINTING not for displaying on a screen which is what you'd do with AppleTV.

Then you go and get it right here.

That's truly amazing.

It's a typo.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How hard would it be to click the link from the article from your iPhone?

When I called up AppleInsider on my iPhone there were no links, just as on the top of this page. So to answer your rude question it would be pretty hard to click on a non-existent link.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I'd say great timing. Next week they'll tell us how to keep documents from the iPad and iPhone in synch. Right now it's kinda pointless to have pages on iPad and iPhone if you can't access the same documents without a hard sync. Hard syncing sucks.

Btw, I don't get the download indication on iPhone. It says buy, even though I bought it for the iPad already.

A friend had an excellent strategy: he used DropBox to hold the documents for his small company - he, and others, could access and change the documents in DropBox regardless of what the device (iPad, iPhone, MBP, etc.). Thought this was a brilliant strategy that allowed him and his team to access the same file from any device. This might solve synching problems and speed up backups.
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
Blog: PowerConferenceCalls.com
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases Pages, Keynote and Numbers for iPhone and iPod touch