or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Unexpectedly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unexpectedly - Page 5

post #161 of 235

Unemployment rises to 8.3%.  Longest stretch of 8+% on record.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #162 of 235

Obama has just blown the expected job numbers out of the water, creating a remarkable 163,000 jobs in July. If that wasn't enough, 172,000 were from private companies and shed were 9,000 government jobs-

"Private companies added 172,000 jobs last month, while governments shed 9,000 positions. Most economists had expected the latest nonfarm payroll figure to be around 95,000. The US added just 64,000 jobs in June."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/aug/03/us-economy-july-jobs-report

We all remember how Bush destroyed so many jobs, but less well known is Romney's truly appalling track record on jobs. Here are the facts. I should warn you though in advance, they are very ugly-

1. Ranked 47th in job growth: Despite Romney’s professed expertise in creating jobs, Massachusetts ranked 47th in job growth during his time as governor. The state’s total job growth was just 0.9 percent, well behind other high-wage, high-skill economies in New York (2.7), California (4.7), and North Carolina (7.6). The national average, meanwhile, was better than 5 percent.

 

2. Suffered the second-largest labor force decline in the nation: Only Louisiana, which was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saw a bigger decline in its labor force than Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure as governor. The US Census Bureau estimated that between July 2002 and July 2006, 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came to it. That decline largely explains the state’s decreasing unemployment rate (from 5.6 to 4.7 percent) while Romney was in office, according to Northeastern University economics professor Andrew Sum. At the same time, the nation as a wholeadded 8 million people to the labor force.

3. Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs: Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that would have banned companies doing business with the state from outsourcing jobs to other countries.

4. Experienced “below average” economic growth and was “often near the bottom”: “There was not one measure where the state did well under his term in office. We were below average and often near the bottom,” Sum told the Washington Post in February. As a result, the state was more comparable to Rust Belt states like Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio than it was to other high-tech economies it typically competes with.

5. Piled on more debt than any other state: Romney left Massachusetts residents with $10,504 in per capita bond debt, thehighest of any state in the nation when he left office in 2007. The state ranked second in debt as a percentage of personal income. Romney regularly omits those statistics from his Massachusetts record, instead touting the fact that he balanced the state’s budget (he was constitutionally required to do so). He wouldn’t be much different as president: his proposed tax plan adds more than $10 trillion to the national debt."

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/06/04/494282/5-facts-about-the-massachusetts-economy-under-mitt-romney/

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #163 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Obama has just blown the expected job numbers out of the water, creating a remarkable 163,000 jobs in July.

 

Please stop this ignorant shit. Barack Obama has not created a single job. Not one. These job figures have not blown anything out of the water. If anything this is a testimony to the private sector's need and ability to create jobs in spite of Obama's economic policies. This is, at best, a mediocre number that gets closer to (but not quite) treading water. About 200,000 jobs need to be created each month just to stay even.

 

Only a fucking leftist, Democratic shill could find some way to spin this shitty economy as some kind of positive result of Obama's economic policies.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #164 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

We all remember how Bush destroyed so many jobs, but less well known is Romney's truly appalling track record on jobs. Here are the facts. I should warn you though in advance, they are very ugly-

1. Ranked 47th in job growth: Despite Romney’s professed expertise in creating jobs, Massachusetts ranked 47th in job growth during his time as governor. The state’s total job growth was just 0.9 percent, well behind other high-wage, high-skill economies in New York (2.7), California (4.7), and North Carolina (7.6). The national average, meanwhile, was better than 5 percent.

 

2. Suffered the second-largest labor force decline in the nation: Only Louisiana, which was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saw a bigger decline in its labor force than Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure as governor. The US Census Bureau estimated that between July 2002 and July 2006, 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came to it. That decline largely explains the state’s decreasing unemployment rate (from 5.6 to 4.7 percent) while Romney was in office, according to Northeastern University economics professor Andrew Sum. At the same time, the nation as a wholeadded 8 million people to the labor force.

3. Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs: Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that would have banned companies doing business with the state from outsourcing jobs to other countries.

4. Experienced “below average” economic growth and was “often near the bottom”: “There was not one measure where the state did well under his term in office. We were below average and often near the bottom,” Sum told the Washington Post in February. As a result, the state was more comparable to Rust Belt states like Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio than it was to other high-tech economies it typically competes with.

5. Piled on more debt than any other state: Romney left Massachusetts residents with $10,504 in per capita bond debt, thehighest of any state in the nation when he left office in 2007. The state ranked second in debt as a percentage of personal income. Romney regularly omits those statistics from his Massachusetts record, instead touting the fact that he balanced the state’s budget (he was constitutionally required to do so). He wouldn’t be much different as president: his proposed tax plan adds more than $10 trillion to the national debt."

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/06/04/494282/5-facts-about-the-massachusetts-economy-under-mitt-romney/

 

One can't help but wonder how much any of these things had to do with Romneycare.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #165 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Obama has just blown the expected job numbers out of the water, creating a remarkable 163,000 jobs in July. If that wasn't enough, 172,000 were from private companies and shed were 9,000 government jobs-

"Private companies added 172,000 jobs last month, while governments shed 9,000 positions. Most economists had expected the latest nonfarm payroll figure to be around 95,000. The US added just 64,000 jobs in June."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/aug/03/us-economy-july-jobs-report

We all remember how Bush destroyed so many jobs, but less well known is Romney's truly appalling track record on jobs. Here are the facts. I should warn you though in advance, they are very ugly-

1. Ranked 47th in job growth: Despite Romney’s professed expertise in creating jobs, Massachusetts ranked 47th in job growth during his time as governor. The state’s total job growth was just 0.9 percent, well behind other high-wage, high-skill economies in New York (2.7), California (4.7), and North Carolina (7.6). The national average, meanwhile, was better than 5 percent.

 

2. Suffered the second-largest labor force decline in the nation: Only Louisiana, which was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saw a bigger decline in its labor force than Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure as governor. The US Census Bureau estimated that between July 2002 and July 2006, 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came to it. That decline largely explains the state’s decreasing unemployment rate (from 5.6 to 4.7 percent) while Romney was in office, according to Northeastern University economics professor Andrew Sum. At the same time, the nation as a wholeadded 8 million people to the labor force.

3. Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs: Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that would have banned companies doing business with the state from outsourcing jobs to other countries.

4. Experienced “below average” economic growth and was “often near the bottom”: “There was not one measure where the state did well under his term in office. We were below average and often near the bottom,” Sum told the Washington Post in February. As a result, the state was more comparable to Rust Belt states like Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio than it was to other high-tech economies it typically competes with.

5. Piled on more debt than any other state: Romney left Massachusetts residents with $10,504 in per capita bond debt, thehighest of any state in the nation when he left office in 2007. The state ranked second in debt as a percentage of personal income. Romney regularly omits those statistics from his Massachusetts record, instead touting the fact that he balanced the state’s budget (he was constitutionally required to do so). He wouldn’t be much different as president: his proposed tax plan adds more than $10 trillion to the national debt."

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/06/04/494282/5-facts-about-the-massachusetts-economy-under-mitt-romney/

 

 

lol.gif    163,000 jobs is not enough to lower unemployment, even if the number holds (which it will not based on recent revision trends).  The rest of your "points" are partisan bullshit.   

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

Please stop this ignorant shit. Barack Obama has not created a single job. Not one. These job figures have not blown anything out of the water. If anything this is a testimony to the private sector's need and ability to create jobs in spite of Obama's economic policies. This is, at best, a mediocre number that gets closer to (but not quite) treading water. About 200,000 jobs need to be created each month just to stay even.

 

Only a fucking leftist, Democratic shill could find some way to spin this shitty economy as some kind of positive result of Obama's economic policies.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #166 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

 

 These job figures have not blown anything out of the water. If anything this is a testimony to the private sector's need and ability to create jobs in spite of Obama's economic policies. This is, at best, a mediocre number that gets closer to (but not quite) treading water. About 200,000 jobs need to be created each month just to stay even.

 

Only a fucking leftist, Democratic shill could find some way to spin this shitty economy as some kind of positive result of Obama's economic policies.

lol, you guys crack me up. Just yesterday SDW was saying I'm a "democratic shill" and today, you. He probably said I was a "fucking leftist" too. lol.gif

 

The projected numbers where forecast to be much lower. I find it quite ironic that yesterday you said that you were amazed that I didn't just close my eyes and rejoice that the US has lots of money, and today here you are attacking me for praising Obama's amazing home run in July on jobs, like I say, far greater than we were expecting. Maybe next month he'll get over 200,000 and you'll get on board, but for now myself and plenty of others celebrate he's surpassing expectations.   

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #167 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

lol, you guys crack me up. Just yesterday SDW was saying I'm a "democratic shill" and today, you. He probably said I was a "fucking leftist" too. lol.gif

 

Well, if the shoe fits...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

The projected numbers where forecast to be much lower. 

 

So what?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I find it quite ironic that yesterday you said that you were amazed that I didn't just close my eyes and rejoice that the US has lots of money...   

 

Well you ignored or misunderstood that message and, of course, tried to spin it negatively.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

...and today here you are attacking me for praising Obama's amazing home run in July on jobs...

 

This Obama "home run" stuff is just sheer bullshit and clearly demonstrates how totally sold out you are to him. Shit, not that long ago your whole argument in favor of ObamaCare was coming directly from his campaign website. A home run?!? :rolleyes: At best this is single by error.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

...like I say, far greater than we were expecting...   

 

So what? This estimates, projections and expectations thing is a red herring. It is totally irrelevant. It is all you (and Obama) have to hang your hat on.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Maybe next month he'll get over 200,000 and you'll get on board...   

 

Maybe. But it's going to take a lot more than that to undo the damage he's done.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

...but for now myself and plenty of others celebrate he's surpassing expectations.   

 

Celebrate all you like. I'm sure Obama is celebrating having ignorant fools as supporters.

 

I will focus on facts irrespective of meaningless "expectations." And the facts are rather dismal regarding employment, deficits, debt, private sector economic growth and health, liberty, privacy, etc.


Edited by MJ1970 - 8/3/12 at 7:44pm

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #168 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post
I will focus on facts irrespective of meaningless "expectations." And the facts are rather dismal regarding employment, deficits, debt, private sector economic growth and health, liberty, privacy, etc.

 

I don't doubt it's dismal, that's why this was welcome news. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

 

Maybe this you'll at least see as encouraging-

"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #169 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I don't doubt it's dismal, that's why this was welcome news. I'm sorry you don't see it that way.

 

Welcome news would be real job growth.  When there are almost 200,000 fewer people employed than the previous month and 150,000 simply dropped out...it's not good news. The only welcome news in this jobs report is that 9,000 fewer people are now employed by the government.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Maybe this you'll at least see as encouraging-

 

Why would I? Why would I care more about the employment situation of veterans than everyone else?


Edited by MJ1970 - 8/3/12 at 4:10pm

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #170 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

What if they don't? Who will be blamed then?

 

They haven't under Obama. Is he accepting any blame?

Compared to things falling apart during the Bush era or what might have happened say if McCain and Palin has got in there? I'm glad we're still here and big companies like GM didn't fold. Otherwise if you think it's bad now........

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #171 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Compared to things falling apart during the Bush era or what might have happened say if McCain and Palin has got in there? I'm glad we're still here and big companies like GM didn't fold. Otherwise if you think it's bad now........

 

But GM did fold. It got a government mandated bankruptcy that violated federal law and heavily favored Obama's supporters. Had it gone through bankruptcy like any other company (the ones that don't support Obama's reelection) it would have been better off in the longer run by getting a better restructuring.

post #172 of 235

Except, Floorjack, there wasn't private money available at the time to handle a private GM restructuring.  This was at the height of the banking crisis.  

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #173 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Except, Floorjack, there wasn't private money available at the time to handle a private GM restructuring.  This was at the height of the banking crisis.  

 

You say that as if it is a valid reason.

 

GM should have gone through bankruptcy as governed by the bankruptcy laws. The only reason it didn't is because Obama wanted to return a favor to his union buddies.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #174 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Except, Floorjack, there wasn't private money available at the time to handle a private GM restructuring.  This was at the height of the banking crisis.  

 

You say that as if it is a valid reason.

 

GM should have gone through bankruptcy as governed by the bankruptcy laws. The only reason it didn't is because Obama wanted to return a favor to his union buddies.

MJ if they had we'd be in a real depression. I have zero doubt of that. It's also the opinion of many economists as well. It's not just GM. It's all the people who work with them. That supply parts, dealerships  etc. That's a lot of people out of work. Can you say breadlines and real austerity?

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #175 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

MJ if they had we'd be in a real depression.

 

Of course you don't know that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I have zero doubt of that.

 

Congratulations.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's also the opinion of many economists as well.

 

Yes, of some, but not all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's not just GM. It's all the people who work with them. That supply parts, dealerships  etc. That's a lot of people out of work.

 

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. :rolleyes:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Can you say breadlines and real austerity?

 

I can. What's the point?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #176 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

MJ if they had we'd be in a real depression.

 

Of course you don't know that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I have zero doubt of that.

 

Congratulations.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's also the opinion of many economists as well.

 

Yes, of some, but not all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's not just GM. It's all the people who work with them. That supply parts, dealerships  etc. That's a lot of people out of work.

 

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. :rolleyes:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Can you say breadlines and real austerity?

 

I can. What's the point?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

MJ if they had we'd be in a real depression.

 

Of course you don't know that.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I have zero doubt of that.

 

Congratulations.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's also the opinion of many economists as well.

 

Yes, of some, but not all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's not just GM. It's all the people who work with them. That supply parts, dealerships  etc. That's a lot of people out of work.

 

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. :rolleyes:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Can you say breadlines and real austerity?

 

I can. What's the point?

 

Quote:

Of course you don't know that.

I don't exactly know what would happen if I stuck my hand in a lawnmower blade while the motor was running. I can pretty well guess however.

 

 

 

Quote:

I can. What's the point?

The point is I'm really glad we're not there. A real depression would make what we've been through seem like a walk in the park. Most people now days aren't ready for that and it would be pretty ugly. Like I've said it's not just my speculation although most references to this also include the other bail outs as well.


Edited by jimmac - 8/5/12 at 1:59pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #177 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I don't exactly know what would happen if I stuck my hand in a lawnmower blade while the motor was running. I can pretty well guess however.

 

If you try hard you might be able to come up with a worse and less apt analogy.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The point is I'm really glad we're not there. A real depression would make what we've been through seem like a walk in the park. Most people now days aren't ready for that and it would be pretty ugly. Like I've said it's not just my speculation although most references to this also include the other bail outs as well.

 

Yes, and? Oh, you are assuming there would have been a depression as a result of GM filing for real bankruptcy. You're begging the question. Got it.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #178 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I don't exactly know what would happen if I stuck my hand in a lawnmower blade while the motor was running. I can pretty well guess however.

 

If you try hard you might be able to come up with a worse and less apt analogy.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The point is I'm really glad we're not there. A real depression would make what we've been through seem like a walk in the park. Most people now days aren't ready for that and it would be pretty ugly. Like I've said it's not just my speculation although most references to this also include the other bail outs as well.

 

Yes, and? Oh, you are assuming there would have been a depression as a result of GM filing for real bankruptcy. You're begging the question. Got it.

Sorry you didn't like my analogy but I thought it got the point across. Like I've said it would many begging the question then. The bailouts weren't fun to watch however they did keep us from going over the edge of a cliff that I for one wouldn't like to see us go over.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #179 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Sorry you didn't like my analogy but I thought it got the point across.

 

No it didn't...because it was shitty analogy that isn't analogous to the situation.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Like I've said it would many begging the question then.

 

Yes. That happens a lot.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The bailouts weren't fun to watch however they did keep us from going over the edge of a cliff that I for one wouldn't like to see us go over.

 

So you're going to continue begging the question even though it has now been pointed out to you?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #180 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Sorry you didn't like my analogy but I thought it got the point across.

 

No it didn't...because it was shitty analogy that isn't analogous to the situation.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Like I've said it would many begging the question then.

 

Yes. That happens a lot.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The bailouts weren't fun to watch however they did keep us from going over the edge of a cliff that I for one wouldn't like to see us go over.

 

So you're going to continue begging the question even though it has now been pointed out to you?

My point was that there are certain things you can be pretty sure of even if you don't have to go through with them.

 

 

Quote:

So you're going to continue begging the question even though it has now been pointed out to you?

Like I've said it really seems like there's very little chance something else would have happened. So you're saying we should have bet the long odds and rolled the dice on this one?

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #181 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

My point was that there are certain things you can be pretty sure of even if you don't have to go through with them.

 

I know what your point was. But you claim certainty where there is none.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Like I've said it really seems like there's very little chance something else would have happened.

 

I know this is what you believe. I believe you're wrong.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So you're saying we should have bet the long odds and rolled the dice on this one?

 

Sorry, I won't be dragged into your question begging.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #182 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

My point was that there are certain things you can be pretty sure of even if you don't have to go through with them.

 

I know what your point was. But you claim certainty where there is none.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Like I've said it really seems like there's very little chance something else would have happened.

 

I know this is what you believe. I believe you're wrong.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So you're saying we should have bet the long odds and rolled the dice on this one?

 

Sorry, I won't be dragged into your question begging.

 

Quote:

I know this is what you believe. I believe you're wrong.

Ok. So they're both beliefs. So stalemate unless you'd like to provide proof to the contrary.

 

 

 

Quote:

Sorry, I won't be dragged into your question begging.

It simply sounds like you don't have a good answer to me.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #183 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Ok. So they're both beliefs. So stalemate unless you'd like to provide proof to the contrary.

 

Yes. Same for you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It simply sounds like you don't have a good answer to me.

 

I have no doubt that's how it sounds to you.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #184 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Ok. So they're both beliefs. So stalemate unless you'd like to provide proof to the contrary.

 

Yes. Same for you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It simply sounds like you don't have a good answer to me.

 

I have no doubt that's how it sounds to you.

 

 

Quote:
Yes. Same for you.

 

I did say " both ".

 

 

Quote:
I have no doubt that's how it sounds to you.

 

 

 

Well it does.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #185 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I did say " both ".

 

Yep.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well it does.

 

As I said: I have no doubt that is how it sounds to you.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #186 of 235

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #187 of 235

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #188 of 235

Second-quarter GDP cut to 1.3 percent on drought

 

Quote:
Economic growth was much weaker than previously estimated in the second quarter as a drought cut into inventories, setting the platform for an even more sluggish performance in the current quarter against the backdrop of slowing factory activity.
 
Gross domestic product expanded at a 1.3 percent annual rate, the slowest pace since the third quarter of 2011 and down from last month's 1.7 percent estimate, the Commerce Department said in its final estimate on Thursday.
 
Output was also revised down to reflect weaker rates of consumer and business spending than previously estimated. Outlays on residential construction export growth were also not as robust as had been previously estimated.
 
Economists polled by Reuters had expected second-quarter GDP growth would be unrevised at a 1.7 percent pace. The economy grew at a 2.0 percent pace in the January-March period.
 
The worst drought in half a century, which gripped large parts of the country in the summer, saw farm inventories dropping $5.3 billion in the second quarter after slipping $1 billion in the first three months of the year.
 
Data in hand for the third-quarter suggest little improvement in the growth pace, even as the housing market digs out of a six-year slump. Manufacturing, the pillar of the recovery from the 2007-09 recession is cooling, hurt by fears of tighter U.S. fiscal policy in January and slower global demand.
 
The GDP report also showed that after-tax corporate profits unexpectedly rose at a 2.2 percent rate instead of the previously reported 1.1 percent increase. After-tax profits fell 8.6 percent in the first quarter.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #189 of 235

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #190 of 235
Thread Starter 
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324156204578273611039517142.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Unexpectedly again. How come all those people who guessed the election wrong are idiots but all the same people who keep guessing the economy wrong re rock stars?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #191 of 235

GDP unexpectedly shrinks, decline seen temporary

 

"We were way off on our expectations. Again. But trust us, it's only temporary."

 

Hasn't it been "temporary" for several years now, at least?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #192 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

GDP unexpectedly shrinks, decline seen temporary

 

"We were way off on our expectations. Again. But trust us, it's only temporary."

 

Hasn't it been "temporary" for several years now, at least?

 

#sawitcoming

post #193 of 235

Ah, yes, GDP, that wonderful measure of the average person's prosperity.

post #194 of 235

Just ignore this, shall we?

 

Quote:
If it were not for the hit from slower inventory growth and the deepest plunge in defense spending in 40 years, the economy would have grown at a respectable 2.5 percent rate. In addition, economists said Superstorm Sandy, which struck the East Coast in late October may have reduced GDP by about half a point.
post #195 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ah, yes, GDP, that wonderful measure of the average person's prosperity.

 

You are right, GDP is poor measure of whether the economy is doing what it should be doing: Creating prosperity and wealth for the people of the country.

 

There might be hope for you yet.

 

It is poor in part because it includes government spending which makes it easier to "goose" GDP artificially without actually creating prosperity and wealth for the people of the country...while, in fact, actually destroying that.

 

Of course, by that measure, things look even worse under Obamanomics.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #196 of 235
Not for the poor and middle class.
post #197 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Not for the poor and middle class.

 

Actually...especially the poor and middle-class. Obama is an elitist corporatist socialist fascist who's reign has benefitted the politically well-connected rich far more than any other group and, mostly, at the expense of those other groups.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #198 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Not for the poor and middle class.

Actually...especially the poor and middle-class. Obama is an elitist corporatist socialist fascist who's reign has benefitted the politically well-connected rich far more than any other group and, mostly, at the expense of those other groups.
Yep. Different planets.
post #199 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post


Yep. Different planets.

 

Indeed.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #200 of 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yep. Different planets.

Indeed.
Yeah, because that's what socialists do... you know, uh... favor the rich. 1rolleyes.gif Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Unexpectedly