or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google and Apple renew partnership for maps, search in iPhone

Google and Apple renew partnership for maps, search in iPhone

post #1 of 31
Google Executive Chairman and former CEO Eric Schmidt revealed Tuesday that his company had reached a deal with Apple to continue providing its maps and search technology for the iPhone.

Speaking at the D9 conference organized by All Things D, Schmidt said that Google's relationship with Apple had gotten "rough" as competition between Android and iOS heated up, but they remained good partners in certain businesses, Reuters reports.

Schmidt put to rest rumors that Apple planned to abandon Google's maps and search technology in the iPhone. According to the executive, the two companies recently renewed their partnership to continue to provide services for the iPhone. "We just renewed our map and search agreements with Apple, and we hope those continue for a long time," he said. Last year, it was suggested that Google pays Apple as much as $100 million a year in a revenue sharing deal for searches made on the iPhone.

Schmidt also talked candidly about his company's rivalry with Facebook. "We tried very hard to partner with Facebook ," he noted. "They were unwilling to do the deal." In hindsight, Schmidt said he would have pushed harder to compete with Facebook. "I screwed up," he admitted.

Google co-founder Larry Page took over for Schmidt as CEO in April. Schmidt formerly served on Apple's board of directors before stepping down due to a conflict of interest.

Apple does, however, appear to still be working on building out its own Maps team. In March, AppleInsider discovered a job listing for an iOS Maps Application Developer that would help "radically improve" Apple's location-based services. Last year, Apple began using its own Maps location databases, though it still relies on Google for the maps themselves.

Last month, Apple revealed that it is collecting anonymous traffic data in order to build a "crowd-sourced traffic database," though it was not immediately clear whether the use of the word "traffic" referred to network data or transportation.
post #2 of 31
Well if were gonna have to deal with google maps again. I at least hope they offer the turn by turn voice directions, and the voice search while we're at it!
post #3 of 31
I for one am very happy about this. I'm doing an MSc in cartography at the mo, and did a wee study in the state of the various mapping companies such as Google and Microsoft. Google by far have the best reach in data - Microsoft are doing well, but Google has a much more consistent data around the world. Try looking for small places outside the US and Europe, and their differences can be seen quite quickly. It is this data that makes the maps - Apple do not create these data. Good maps and bad maps can still use the same sources, but it is up to the map makers to provide a clear visual hierarchy, and easily readable maps that best show off this data to the user. This is where Apple are focusing, and I have high hopes based on past GUI efforts.
post #4 of 31
If Apple released iSearch, based on the principle of no tracking and no ads - I'd drop Yahoo, Bing and Google in a shot.
post #5 of 31
I know it would require Apple to do a lot more heavy lifting, but I would love to see Apple move away from doing so much business with direct competitors like Google and Samsung. I stinks to have to give money to someone working against you.
post #6 of 31
I'm actually a bit disappointed with this. The Google Maps app is identical to the original, and lacks all of the features available to the competition. I can only assume this is due to a choice by Google to not release the navigation maps app for iPhone due to their rough relationship with Apple.

If they resolve to fix this and update the app which is in sore need of some lacking features, then I'll be satisfied.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #7 of 31
No data, means the search would suck. Both Google and Microsoft use the data to improve the search results. Problem is Google (and probably Microsoft) also use the data for evaluating user habits to sell this information to advertisers. Everything Google does is to sell your information. That is how it makes money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

If Apple released iSearch, based on the principle of no tracking and no ads - I'd drop Yahoo, Bing and Google in a shot.
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

No data, means the search would suck. Both Google and Microsoft use the data to improve the search results. Problem is Google (and probably Microsoft) also use the data for evaluating user habits to sell this information to advertisers. Everything Google does is to sell your information. That is how it makes money.

Google search hasn't improved from violating people's privacy, if anything, it's gotten worse over the years, mainly due to their inability to stop gaming of search results, but also because they are apparently more focused on gimmickry than quality these days. There's no evidence that collecting massive amounts of user identifiable data does anything for search results.
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxmanic View Post

I know it would require Apple to do a lot more heavy lifting, but I would love to see Apple move away from doing so much business with direct competitors like Google and Samsung. I stinks to have to give money to someone working against you.

This deal with Google proves that Apple, at least, is not as stubborn and foolish as some like to believe. They have every reason to stop using anything that even rhymes with Google, yet they believe that Google still is the best in the world at a few very key things, and and they (Apple) aren't confident enough in their own experiments at this point to replace them.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut4000 View Post

I for one am very happy about this. I'm doing an MSc in cartography at the mo, and did a wee study in the state of the various mapping companies such as Google and Microsoft. Google by far have the best reach in data - Microsoft are doing well, but Google has a much more consistent data around the world. Try looking for small places outside the US and Europe, and their differences can be seen quite quickly. It is this data that makes the maps - Apple do not create these data. Good maps and bad maps can still use the same sources, but it is up to the map makers to provide a clear visual hierarchy, and easily readable maps that best show off this data to the user. This is where Apple are focusing, and I have high hopes based on past GUI efforts.

If Apple wanted to invest in data they could buy imagery and map data from the same folks Google and MS purchase from. I like the global ortho dataset by MS and digital globe.

Google has the most data but limits the access to that data, even the public domain stuff whereas MS offers Terraserver/MSR Maps.
post #11 of 31
deleted
post #12 of 31
As long as the google maps on iOS doesn't include adverts like the new version on Android does, I will be happy.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does this mean Google isn't evil now?

No, sometimes you have to deal with evil.

Quote:
Man, some of the regulars here are going to have a tough time imagining a world in which every company other than Apple isn't evil.

Not sure who those people are. Is it the troll in you, do you just have trouble with logic or do you believe Google is every company other than Apple?
post #14 of 31
Quote:

I agree. Apple shouldn't be feeding Google at all.

I'm perfectly happy using Yahoo search. I refuse to feed the Google monster (not to mention that I'd rather not turn my life over to them).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I'm actually a bit disappointed with this. The Google Maps app is identical to the original, and lacks all of the features available to the competition. I can only assume this is due to a choice by Google to not release the navigation maps app for iPhone due to their rough relationship with Apple.

If they resolve to fix this and update the app which is in sore need of some lacking features, then I'll be satisfied.

i wish google would remove all their apps/products from iphone and concentrate on android only. let apple build their own or hook up with garmin or someone else.
leave flash, turn by turn navigation, search, and wonderful google integration to us poor android users.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

As long as the google maps on iOS doesn't include adverts like the new version on Android does, I will be happy.

i am on Android 2.3.4 with latest google maps and i have no adverts. i must just be lucky.
post #17 of 31
Quote:

It's not because Google won't release it. Google licenses the navigation functionality from another party and can't distribute it for free. iPhone Maps app wasn't developed by Google, it just uses Google backend services/API's. Thus, Google has little control over what features Apple chooses to build into the application.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i am on Android 2.3.4 with latest google maps and i have no adverts. i must just be lucky.

I went from 2.3.2 to .3 and finally to .4 and have never received adverts on maps.

Hell, even my friends still riding Froyo don't even receive adverts on maps.

Can someone show me where google sticks adverts in maps? Maybe when tap on a business or something?
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

It's not because Google won't release it. Google licenses the navigation functionality from another party and can't distribute it for free. iPhone Maps app wasn't developed by Google, it just uses Google backend services/API's. Thus, Google has little control over what features Apple chooses to build into the application.

google doesn't license it from others anymore. they dropped those companies a couple years ago. why do you think google has the 'map' cars all over the world?
post #20 of 31
I'm not sure what it is, maybe I'm old, but there's this undercurrent of thought here that Apple needs to be his paragon of individuality and independence in order to succeed, when in fact, there are deep business relationships with just about every company (Microsoft included).

And yet, I see this rather childish "Google (or whoever) Sucks, Apple Rules" mentality that makes me smile because if that's how businesses really ran they'd be out in a heart beat.

I suppose it's just all the Apple fans here, myself included, who want to see Apple succeed, but don't really understand the business relationships that a company needs to thrive, whether it be Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, whoever.

In the end, it's all about pleasing us shareholders. Apple is on a high cycle right now. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, hopefully for the next 100 years or so.
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I'm not sure what it is, maybe I'm old, but there's this undercurrent of thought here that Apple needs to be his paragon of individuality and independence in order to succeed, when in fact, there are deep business relationships with just about every company (Microsoft included).

And yet, I see this rather childish "Google (or whoever) Sucks, Apple Rules" mentality that makes me smile because if that's how businesses really ran they'd be out in a heart beat.

I suppose it's just all the Apple fans here, myself included, who want to see Apple succeed, but don't really understand the business relationships that a company needs to thrive, whether it be Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, whoever.

In the end, it's all about pleasing us shareholders. Apple is on a high cycle right now. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, hopefully for the next 100 years or so.

I totally agree with you, I don't understand all the hatred some people has on those forums.
post #22 of 31
Apple would surely like to build out and only offer their map service exclusively.
But I am sure that they have woken up to smell the Roses. The fact that so many
People are worried about their location privacies, it kinda limits what Apple would want
to give us in their new Maps
The problem is, that anything they may want to offer, that would somehow outdo
Google Maps would have to have location settings always on. Or at least when wanting
to use the Map service to its full potential.
They could easily offer something like what that company they bought, but fill it up
with a lot more info or extra beneficial stuff. But what would it be if it could not give
us useful information bevause we opted out of telling them where we are in the first place.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Apple would surely like to build out and only offer their map service exclusively.
But I am sure that they have woken up to smell the Roses. The fact that so many
People are worried about their location privacies, it kinda limits what Apple would want
to give us in their new Maps
The problem is, that anything they may want to offer, that would somehow outdo
Google Maps would have to have location settings always on. Or at least when wanting
to use the Map service to its full potential.
They could easily offer something like what that company they bought, but fill it up
with a lot more info or extra beneficial stuff. But what would it be if it could not give
us useful information bevause we opted out of telling them where we are in the first place.

If you never tell a Maps application where you are, it defeats the entire purpose of it, no matter how many feature it has or who makes it. The whole point of a Maps app or GPS system is to show you where you are, where you're going, and how far it is away and how fast you're going to get there. If you're going to opt out of location services for a maps app, you might as well delete it from your phone or tuck it away where you will never touch it.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I agree. Apple shouldn't be feeding Google at all.

I'm perfectly happy using Yahoo search. I refuse to feed the Google monster (not to mention that I'd rather not turn my life over to them).

I dunno about where you live, but where I live (Canada), Yahoo and Bing suck. They are beyond suck. I don't have adjectives to describe how bad they are. Same for maps too. And this is an English speaking country that's next door to the US. I can only imagine that it gets even worse, the further you move away from the US (and maybe the UK). Google haters who talk up Yahoo and Bing must all live in US. Because there's no way they could live elsewhere and not know how bad these services are outside the US. Heck, I half suspect that a huge part of why Windows Phone is doing so poorly, is that it's so tied into Bing, which is just terrible internationally.

If Apple kicks Google completely off iOS, they will see sales outside the US drop. There's no question in my mind about that. Love them or hate them, without a doubt Google international leader for web services like search and maps.
post #25 of 31
Quote:

It's not Google. It's Apple. Why would Google reduce functionality in the Maps app? They want you to use their Maps. They want you to click on businesses that show up there. And they want to make it easier for you to navigate to those businesses. This is in their best interest. Easier for you = better sales pitch to those businesses which pay to show up on the maps.

I'll bet money that Google would also want to offer iOS users services like Google Offers (for location based advertising for example) and Google Wallet (if Apple incorporates NFC tech and opens it up to partners). This is again, in the best interests of Google. The more users, the better and easier the sales pitch to their business customers. Think about it. Google wants users. They don't care whether the person is on Android, Blackberry, iOS or Web OS. As long as that person is using their services it's good for Google. So this idea that Google is somehow holding back (particularly in a case like iOS where Apple doesn't offer competing services) is absurd.

It's really Apple here that's controlling the pace of these technologies on iOS. Just look at how long it took to get Google Voice on iOS. I don't understand why Apple offers a Maps app in the first place. Just let Google, MS, etc. offer a Maps and Navigation app in the App Store and let users decide which Nav app is best.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

This deal with Google proves that Apple, at least, is not as stubborn and foolish as some like to believe. They have every reason to stop using anything that even rhymes with Google, yet they believe that Google still is the best in the world at a few very key things, and and they (Apple) aren't confident enough in their own experiments at this point to replace them.

It's not even that. Business is business. Despite what fanboys (of either company think), neither one is out to destroy the other, even if they are competing.

Google gets tons of revenue from iOS users. Apple gets $100+ million every year and gets search and maps for their users built in to the phone. That's a pretty good deal for both parties. Why would either one of them upset it?
post #27 of 31
Quote:

Can you explain where you see ads in Google Maps? Are you referring to the businesses you can click on?

Not only Google Maps. I see no ads in Google Talk, Google Earth, Google Sky Maps, etc. I don't even see ads in GMail on the my phone either (unlike the website). Can you tell me where you see ads, other than on Google Search webpage on your iPhone? I am genuinely curious. I see a lot of iOS users complain about ads. Are the iOS apps different from the Android apps? Every time I've used an iPhone or iPad, I haven't see ads. But do you see ads using these apps?
post #28 of 31
Quote:

Business is business.

This isnt a personal relationship.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #29 of 31
Quote:

Which ads?
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

If you never tell a Maps application where you are, it defeats the entire purpose of it, no matter how many feature it has or who makes it. The whole point of a Maps app or GPS system is to show you where you are, where you're going, and how far it is away and how fast you're going to get there. If you're going to opt out of location services for a maps app, you might as well delete it from your phone or tuck it away where you will never touch it.

This is utter bullshit. I use gmaps/bing maps on desktop/laptop computers all the time and they are very useful. I have never once (explicitly) given my location, and the IP-based guesses are generally pretty poor. I only (occasionally) need to know where I'm going, I already know where I am. Oh, and FFS, I'm certainly not going to "check in" to places online.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I totally agree. I love Apple's products, but there's some other companies' products I like very much also. As much as I hate the privacy issues and the bad results from the rise in SEO gaming, I prefer Google to any other search engine. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The reality is that these other companies don't need to fail in order for Apple to succeed. In fact, when it comes to Google Android, I can't understand why they are trying so hard to bash Apple. Google makes more money with more people surfing the web, clicking on AdWords, clicking on other Google placed ads, and doing Google searches. Apple is expanding their potential to make money just as much as Android in those respects. Of course there are other Google services they want people to use, but why hate when you can make money on your competitor's platform?

There are many other examples where business relationships with competitors make a lot of sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google and Apple renew partnership for maps, search in iPhone