or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iCloud preannouncement leads Wall Street to expect big things from Apple at WWDC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iCloud preannouncement leads Wall Street to expect big things from Apple at WWDC

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
After Apple tipped its hand on Tuesday and revealed it will unveil its new iCloud service next week, Wall Street analysts believe the company has set the stage for a strong software-focused Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

RBC: iCloud and iOS 5 will expand iPhone, iPad markets

Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets sees Apple's upcoming iCloud service as more than just a digital "locker" service that will store users' file. To that effect, he sees iCloud allowing Apple to target iPhones at 5.1 billion handset users worldwide, compared to 1.3 billion PC users.

iCloud could be an important step for Apple, making it so users are not required to have a Mac or PC to sync their device, or store music and movies. He imagines a new version of iOS where users no longer need to tether to a machine to upgrade their software, making the addressable market much larger.

Abramsky also said that iCloud could allow Apple to exploit what he sees are three competitive advantages: licensing and digital rights management, consumer friendliness, and a massive existing install base of more than 200 million iOS devices, plus iTunes users.

"Apple's licensing relationships and 'controlled' platform may appeal to studios/publishers seeking to minimize piracy, while protecting their economics in a hosted model," Abramsky wrote in a note to investors on Wednesday. "iCloud may also be differentiated via Apple's trademark user experience for convenience, simplicity, and discoverability. iCloud APIs may in time extend to developers."

As for the iOS 5 update, Abramsky said he believes Apple may offer hosted online services like content streaming, voice recognition and translation, photo sharing, community and multiplayer capabilities. This could lead to new iOS devices built around iCloud services.

But a key for Apple will be how strong the debut is for iCloud. Abramsky recalled that the 2008 debut of Apple's current cloud-based service, MobileMe, didn't go so well, with performance and reliability issues.

Jobs was said to be furious following the launch of MobileMe. The Chief Executive reportedly assembled the team that created the service and scolded them in a meeting at the auditorium on Apple's corporate campus, saying that they had "tarnished Apple's reputation."

Because of that learning experience, Abramsky expects that Apple will have a more measured, possibly staggered rollout of the new iCloud service. "Apple may initially limit iCloud's scope," he said, "before expanding to a broader audience."



Sterne Agee: iCloud could be a game-changer

Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said Apple's unusual announcement on Tuesday, in which it revealed the talking points for Steve Jobs' WWDC keynote, signals that most of the focus will probably be on the new iCloud service, which he believes "could be a very big deal." He sees iCloud making iTunes even more powerful, allowing users to access their content from any device, anywhere.

"We notice that every time a new feature is added to iTunes (like TV and movie rentals), its utility value increases, which in turn drives more hardware sales, i.e., iPhone, iPad and Macs," Wu said in a note to investors.

With the focus on iCloud and software, Wu doesn't expect much of a focus on hardware. It's possible, he said, Apple could announce new Macs with Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors, but he expects an iPhone announcement to come later than usual this year.

Citing checks with supply chain sources, Wu corroborated with other reports that have indicated the fifth-generation iPhone will be a relatively minor update from the iPhone 4. He has been told that Apple will have a "more radical iPhone refresh" in 2012, when the company is expected to introduce a model with support for high-speed 4G long-term evolution data.



JMP Securities: Revolution lies in the software

Analyst Alex Gauna said in a note to investors on Wednesday that he has fairly low expectations for new hardware at WWDC. Instead, he's more interested in what Apple has to say about software and its new iCloud service.

He said software advancements with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud could be "much more revolutionary" than a fifth-generation iPhone. Numerous reports have suggested that Apple will not unveil a new iPhone or any hardware at this year's conference.

"We will be looking to measure whether the advances are enhancements to consumer-centric offerings such as iTunes and MobileMe, or virtualization breakthroughs that pave the way for more significant enterprise, social networking, and/or multimedia inroads," Gauna wrote.

He believes Apple is in a "unique position to shock and awe with enhancements, extensions and harmonization" of Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud. Because of that, he hopes Apple's announcements are "substantial," and make the company "capable of distancing itself from Android's gathering momentum."
post #2 of 34
The past few years have shown the industry that at the end of the day what you can do with your computer, desktop of mobile depends on the software, the OS and the apps. Although Apple has the most beautiful hardware on the market in my opinion many venders are catching up in the way of specs. Software however is another big part of the success equation and both Microsoft and Google have proved that making a great operating system is hard.
post #3 of 34
I suppose these comments are reasonable advice to investors that do not read Apple forums.

I'm mostly curious to see if Apple can write cloud software that works more efficiently and reliably than MobileMe, which wasn't just poor at launch but has been poor in every iteration. I suspect that Apple's isolation from enterprise has left them weak when it comes to data processing as opposed to multimedia. Are they learning yet? I hope so.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


---

Jobs was said to be furious following the launch of MobileMe. The Chief Executive reportedly assembled the team that created the service and scolded them in a meeting at the auditorium on Apple's corporate campus, saying that they had "tarnished Apple's reputation."

---

" Going live today BOOM (in Malta) "

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The past few years have shown the industry that at the end of the day what you can do with your computer, desktop of mobile depends on the software, the OS and the apps. Although Apple has the most beautiful hardware on the market in my opinion many venders are catching up in the way of specs. Software however is another big part of the success equation and both Microsoft and Google have proved that making a great operating system is hard.

A few points, regarding above and otherwise:

1) Apple usually hasn't tried to lead on hardware specs (leave that to the guys playing catch-up!), and in fact using "state of the shelf" hardware rather than "state of the art" is a ticket to getting higher profit margins on each device; instead, they trump specs with the "magic" of the software inside driving a sublime experience, which they monetize with high margin hardware (design is also part of it).

2) What are rumor sites going to do if we aren't following wholesale hardware orders, etc. If a new apple product is simply announced by flipping a switch at a server farm, we may never see new products coming. The era of apple secrecy may actually be reborn, rather than fading away....

3) I agree with J. Gruber on this: the announcement of iWork for iphone/touch suggests that there is PLENTY to talk about at the keynote itself. No padding (remember iPod socks?). And also, I think they are putting the iCloud meme out there now to generate buzz (of course), reduce expectations for new hardware, but also because "iCloud" is not the punchline to the talk, it's the jumping off point, which is very exciting. It sounds like the beginning of a big strategic shift that they are going to start to explain. Eventually (not next week) may be able to sit down at any mac, badge in with our NFC iPhone/iDevice, and be looking at the screen of our whole freaking home computer. Who knows? The idea of media mirroring is actually kind of boring and a relatively low performance option given the cost of wireless bandwidth and the explosing of solid state memory capacity per dollar. This may be the birth of a la carte cable (imagine if you could just watch espn on your apple TV? Who the hell would subscribe to the rest of it?). So much seems possible when we don't need to sift through patents or east asian photos of prototypes, etc, to see ideas.
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets sees Apple's upcoming iCloud service as more than just a digital "locker" service that will store users' file. To that effect, he sees iCloud allowing Apple to target iPhones at 5.1 billion handset users worldwide, compared to 1.3 billion PC users.

iCloud could be an important step for Apple, making it so users are not required to have a Mac or PC to sync their device,

This is the ultimate goal but can Apple deliver? I'm just not confident.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post


---

3) I agree with J. Gruber on this: the announcement of iWork for iphone/touch suggests that there is PLENTY to talk about at the keynote itself. No padding (remember iPod socks?). And also, I think they are putting the iCloud meme out there now to generate buzz (of course), reduce expectations for new hardware, but also because "iCloud" is not the punchline to the talk, it's the jumping off point, which is very exciting. It sounds like the beginning of a big strategic shift that are going to start to explain. We may be able to sit down at any mac, badge in with our NFC iPhone/iDevice, and be looking at the screen of our whole freaking home computer. Who knows? The idea of media mirroring is actually kind of boring and a relatively low performance option given the cost of wireless bandwidth and the explosing of solid state memory capacity per dollar.

I would certainly like to see an ecosystem for my content to match the ecosystem of Apple hardware I already have, and that would encourage me to try more, such as an iPad, which I currently ignore because of the need to manage content manually between Apple devices.

I'd like to have some kind of central dashboard where I can manage what goes where based on my user logins on my different devices. Maybe they could call it Grand Central (Oops!) or Mission Control (D'oh!) or something ...

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #8 of 34
I've heard that something like $4 of your cable bill goes to ESPN, compared to 9 cents per user for the other crappy channels like, i dunno, oxygen or spike or food network or whatever. These numbers are probably not exactly right but the orders of magnitude are....

Apple likes Disney and vice versa, and jobs is on the Disney Board. In fact, disney always seems to be on board early for all the apple stuff, etc.

And Disney Owns ESPN

What if, THROUGH YOUR APPLE TV, you could subscribe to ESPN for $10 a month. Would comcast and all the other orifice companies puke on themselves or what? ESPN would start demanding $10 per user from the Cable Cos? It would be a huge monopsony-busting move for Disney, meaning more profit for them.

This could be huge. I wonder when this will happen.

Apple should also lock down the exclusive rights to the NFL for about a billion a year, because the NFL sunday ticket thing (which you have to subscribe to Direct TV for) is a complete shakedown and follows the ESPN logic above.

I think realtime sports is the killer app for the Apple TV, if they can make it happen, and a huge role for a huge server farm, if only one existed, say in North Carolina...
post #9 of 34
apple as its own cell network would be interesting. the backbone is the choke point. How do you expect to run iCloud on a network that can barely handle yesterdays news?
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

I've heard that something like $4 of your cable bill goes to ESPN, compared to 9 cents per user for the other crappy channels like, i dunno, oxygen or spike or food network or whatever. These numbers are probably not exactly right but the orders of magnitude are....

Apple likes Disney and vice versa, and jobs is on the Disney Board. In fact, disney always seems to be on board early for all the apple stuff, etc.

And Disney Owns ESPN

What if, THROUGH YOUR APPLE TV, you could subscribe to ESPN for $10 a month. Would comcast and all the other orifice companies puke on themselves or what? ESPN would start demanding $10 per user from the Cable Cos? It would be a huge monopsony-busting move for Disney, meaning more profit for them.

This could be huge. I wonder when this will happen.

Apple should also lock down the exclusive rights to the NFL for about a billion a year, because the NFL sunday ticket thing (which you have to subscribe to Direct TV for) is a complete shakedown and follows the ESPN logic above.

I think realtime sports is the killer app for the Apple TV, if they can make it happen, and a huge role for a huge server farm, if only one existed, say in North Carolina...

Never happen. ESPN or any major cable network is not going to give up cable subscribers who are still the majority of subscribers. What there will be is an evolution where cable subscribers get to watch on any device, with little or no additional payment. Also, while Disney owns ABC which owns ESPN, the company is run in a very decentralized manner and is frequently even competitive internally.
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

A few points, regarding above and otherwise:

1) Apple usually hasn't tried to lead on hardware specs (leave that to the guys playing catch-up!), and in fact using "state of the shelf" hardware rather than "state of the art" is a ticket to getting higher profit margins on each device; instead, they trump specs with the "magic" of the software inside driving a sublime experience, which they monetize with high margin hardware (design is also part of it).

2) What are rumor sites going to do if we aren't following wholesale hardware orders, etc. If a new apple product is simply announced by flipping a switch at a server farm, we may never see new products coming. The era of apple secrecy may actually be reborn, rather than fading away....

3) I agree with J. Gruber on this: the announcement of iWork for iphone/touch suggests that there is PLENTY to talk about at the keynote itself. No padding (remember iPod socks?). And also, I think they are putting the iCloud meme out there now to generate buzz (of course), reduce expectations for new hardware, but also because "iCloud" is not the punchline to the talk, it's the jumping off point, which is very exciting. It sounds like the beginning of a big strategic shift that they are going to start to explain. Eventually (not next week) may be able to sit down at any mac, badge in with our NFC iPhone/iDevice, and be looking at the screen of our whole freaking home computer. Who knows? The idea of media mirroring is actually kind of boring and a relatively low performance option given the cost of wireless bandwidth and the explosing of solid state memory capacity per dollar. This may be the birth of a la carte cable (imagine if you could just watch espn on your apple TV? Who the hell would subscribe to the rest of it?). So much seems possible when we don't need to sift through patents or east asian photos of prototypes, etc, to see ideas.

Good post... Nice!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

3) I agree with J. Gruber on this: the announcement of iWork for iphone/touch suggests that there is PLENTY to talk about at the keynote itself. No padding (remember iPod socks?). And also, I think they are putting the iCloud meme out there now to generate buzz (of course), reduce expectations for new hardware, but also because "iCloud" is not the punchline to the talk, it's the jumping off point, which is very exciting. It sounds like the beginning of a big strategic shift that they are going to start to explain. Eventually (not next week) may be able to sit down at any mac, badge in with our NFC iPhone/iDevice, and be looking at the screen of our whole freaking home computer. Who knows? The idea of media mirroring is actually kind of boring and a relatively low performance option given the cost of wireless bandwidth and the explosing of solid state memory capacity per dollar. This may be the birth of a la carte cable (imagine if you could just watch espn on your apple TV? Who the hell would subscribe to the rest of it?). So much seems possible when we don't need to sift through patents or east asian photos of prototypes, etc, to see ideas.

Ugh, not this crap again. Let's get media streaming right first, before we start fantasizing about the magic Mac.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After Apple tipped its hand on Tuesday and revealed it will unveil its new iCloud service next week, Wall Street analysts believe the company has set the stage for a strong software-focused Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.......

For once the analysts bring some interesting perspective to the discussion. iCloud in the context of Apple's broader development is more interesting than whether streaming music to your iPhone is worth it
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

I think realtime sports is the killer app for the Apple TV, if they can make it happen, and a huge role for a huge server farm, if only one existed, say in North Carolina...

I think you're on the right track.

Apple did not build a giant data center in North Carolina and pre-announce the iCloud service to unveil a digital storage locker for backup copies of movies that people want to move off their hard drives and to stream music that you already own and already have saved on your iPod.

iCloud is going to be a means for a content play. My guess is that it will have several different parts that will include (if Apple can get the licensing worked out):

1. Streaming access to the full catalog of music on iTunes that will allow you to add and delete tracks (actually markers for streaming tracks) to your playlists on the fly that will sync automatically to all of your other devices for $9.99 or $14.99 a month. It will include limited disc burning or require you to pay something extra to burn new releases or other specific tracks.

AND

If you don't want to sign up for the subscription service, you can stream all of your existing tracks plus any new tracks that you buy.

2. A Netflix-killer package of streaming access to catalog movies and TV shows for $7.99 a month (same price as Netflix).

3. A Comcast-killer package of current season TV shows that will launch when the new season starts in September. If it's comprehensive, $49-$74 a month plus premium services and sports packages. If it's not comprehensive -- meaning NBCU won't play -- you'll be able to subscribe to a cheaper not-so-comprehensive package or to specific networks or specific shows.

4. Most of the stuff that's already in Mobile Me -- mail, contacts and calendar syncing and online space for documents. Included free with any paid service.

5. A re-imagined iPhoto that syncs your photos and videos to all of your devices and even syncs your photo edits. Included free with any paid service.
post #15 of 34
This is the exact same thing that happens before every Apple event -- the media and investors start foaming at the mouth about the possible announcements that could be forthcoming, then everyone feels let down when most of the expected announcements aren't actually made.

Let's just let Apple say what they have to say so we don't feel underwhelmed when our wildest dreams of magic Macs and teleporting iPhones don't come true.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Never happen. ESPN or any major cable network is not going to give up cable subscribers who are still the majority of subscribers. What there will be is an evolution where cable subscribers get to watch on any device, with little or no additional payment. Also, while Disney owns ABC which owns ESPN, the company is run in a very decentralized manner and is frequently even competitive internally.

No one is saying they would turn their back on their cash cow, but if they can make more by opening up another channel and not cannibalizing the first, I think it's inevitable once exclusivity arrangements expire, etc.
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ugh, not this crap again. Let's get media streaming right first, before we start fantasizing about the magic Mac.

Point is, lots more is possible than media mirroring.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I think you're on the right track.

Apple did not build a giant data center in North Carolina and pre-announce the iCloud service to unveil a digital storage locker.... iCloud is going to be a means for a content play. My guess is that it will have several different parts that will include (if Apple can get the licensing worked out):

1. Streaming access to the full catalog of music on iTunes that will allow you to add and delete tracks (actually markers for streaming tracks) to your playlists on the fly that will sync automatically to all of your other devices for $9.99 or $14.99 a month. It will include limited disc burning or require you to pay something extra to burn new releases or other specific tracks....

2. A Netflix-killer package of streaming access to catalog movies and TV shows for $7.99 a month (same price as Netflix).

3. A Comcast-killer package of current season TV shows that will launch when the new season starts in September. If it's comprehensive, $49-$74 a month plus premium services and sports packages. If it's not comprehensive -- meaning NBCU won't play -- you'll be able to subscribe to a cheaper not-so-comprehensive package or to specific networks or specific shows.
.

I agree with the general spirit of unbundling or at least the a la carte option. The more granular the better with TV.

Netflix is actually getting pretty scary to media companies, I'd imagine. Seen the data lately about what % of US bandwidth it occupies? Huge, like large minority huge, more than BitTorrent, equal to web surfing, more than youTube, etc. Ironically, Hollywood is probably looking for another outlet for SECURELY delivering streaming movies, since they won't want to get WalMarted into one huge customer.

I'm a bit suspicious of the whole subscription music thing since I do think people like to own their music (and listed repeatedly, obsessively, even) but rent most video. Also, most music is crap. Hard to believe Jobs, a guy who is still listening to Bob Dylan, really wants a monthly subscription to be supporting in any way the William Hung Christmas Album.

Taking a page out of the Netflix book, though, I wonder if a "long tail" play could be made where you could subscribe to all the older tracks (a la the original netflix) but pay a la carte (like current iTunes) for the latest Ke$ha song (the spike). So sell the spike, subscribe the tail? Will the entire Windowing Phenomenon seen with hollywood films be layered within iTunes? One could see this happening, too: first you have to Pay-Per-View it, then buy it, then get it with a subscription.
post #19 of 34
iCloud - ho hum. A combination of data caps and slow and/or spotty mobile broadband service does not bode well for the cloud dream. I already use MobileMe for key backups and sync; it's satisfactory for that purpose but expensive. If this iCloud service reduces the costs and does not degrade my current service (e.g. eliminating iDisk by restricting uploads to music or movies), I won't complain.

Lion - not overly impressed with the cosmetic iOS layover and the other minor GUI tweaks, especially if it's done at the expensive of system performance and stability.

iOS5. Wait and see here but it better include wireless syncing with either Mac/PC or iCloud, and even better if there's no sync/activation dependency at all in this alleged "post-PC" era. It also needs robust improvements to GUI & notifications to make it less attractive to jailbreak but again, can't be done at the expensive of stability and performance.

No iPhone upgrade now but late 2011 light refresh and major refresh in 2012 (i.e. 4G/LTE). I sure hope the prognosticators are wrong on this prediction. One of the dependencies for this projected iCloud service is speed and and not having 4G/LTE until presumably late 2012 would be rather disappointing and a light & late hardware refresh reeks of milking the cow. I'd rather see light refresh as a 2nd model of iPhone that's more affordable.
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

No one is saying they would turn their back on their cash cow, but if they can make more by opening up another channel and not cannibalizing the first, I think it's inevitable once exclusivity arrangements expire, etc.

Well, thats the trick isnt it?
The problem for the service providers, as more and more people sign up for streaming, they dump or down grade cable. Think the CableCo are going to give up profit without a fight? Who will win?

Netflix (bless their little hearts) started the battle off with subscription service. Hope they can keep that model up.... I've read the content providers want more $$$.

IMO... shhhh, the netflix service is probably worth twice the price in the market place. That service almost makes channels like Movie Channel, Cinamax(minus the Max at night.. thats another 10 bucks a month ) TVLAND etc etc obsolete.

Me'h... unfortunately History channel, Discovery Channel and other channels that have the occasional good shows are owned by the big three. Probably never allow streaming service.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #21 of 34
Google is a cloud based service. ICloud is Steve Jobs's revenge to Google for copying iOS with Android OS.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleaday3k View Post

apple as its own cell network would be interesting.

And highly unlikely given that setting one up is magnitudes more a bag of hurt than blu-ray. VoIP ish things like Facetime over wifi are as good as Apple is likely to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Never happen. ESPN or any major cable network is not going to give up cable subscribers who are still the majority of subscribers.

I agree and disagree. I think that the networks won't overnight jump off the cable train but I do think that they might go from 'watch anywhere if you already get us on your tv' to a la carte direct signups to try to catch some of the folks that don't have cable. But we're talking a progression over a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post


Apple did not build a giant data center in North Carolina and pre-announce the iCloud service to unveil a digital storage locker for backup copies of movies that people want to move off their hard drives and to stream music that you already own and already have saved on your iPod.

It is most likely that these things are only a small part of what the center is for. Mirroring the website, MAS, itunes stores etc are likely other things.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And highly unlikely given that setting one up is magnitudes more a bag of hurt than blu-ray.

And places Apple in direct competition with their largest partners, which isn't a sound idea unless they know that they can very quickly beat them at their own game.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #24 of 34
Apple has plenty of third party cloud platforms it could choose to build on either commercial or opensource.

Joyent http://www.joyent.com/
VMWare CloudFoundry http://cloudfoundry.org/
Stackato http://www.activestate.com/cloud
Citrix http://deliver.citrix.com/projectolympus
OpenStack http://www.openstack.org/
Oracle http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/cloud/index.html

As for a MobileMe replacement, Atmail looks interesting: http://www.atmail.com/cloud/

OEM options are available: http://www.atmail.com/services/oem/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I suppose these comments are reasonable advice to investors that do not read Apple forums.

I'm mostly curious to see if Apple can write cloud software that works more efficiently and reliably than MobileMe, which wasn't just poor at launch but has been poor in every iteration. I suspect that Apple's isolation from enterprise has left them weak when it comes to data processing as opposed to multimedia. Are they learning yet? I hope so.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Taking a page out of the Netflix book, though, I wonder if a "long tail" play could be made where you could subscribe to all the older tracks (a la the original netflix) but pay a la carte (like current iTunes) for the latest Ke$ha song (the spike). So sell the spike, subscribe the tail? Will the entire Windowing Phenomenon seen with hollywood films be layered within iTunes? One could see this happening, too: first you have to Pay-Per-View it, then buy it, then get it with a subscription.

That was basically my thought about a subscription-based music service possibly putting some restrictions on burning new releases to CD, but the long-tail approach at a lower price makes sense.

If the subscription is for streaming access to tracks that were released more than one year ago and you still had to pay $.99/$1.29 for new releases, I don't think I would pay more than $4.99 a month (and maybe not that) for access to catalog tracks. If the window is more like one or two months for new releases, I would probably pay $9.99 a month.

I would definitely pay $9.99 a month for catalog movies/TV shows and catalog music if the movie and TV catalog was as comprehensive as Netflix. That's basically getting Netflix ($7.99) plus the music catalog for $2 more. (BTW, if Apple announces more or less this at WWCD, Netflix's stock price will drop like a stone and possible make them an acquisition target for a studio or cable carrier.)

I still think the catalog approach is a little low-rent for Apple and that they're going to have a package that provides for access to newer content.
post #26 of 34
I feel that Apple will introduce the new iPhone. They put all that out to distract people, and it's working.

They will have the "One more thing" and it will be a freaking new iPhone. They might even introduce the cheap iPhone targeted at developing countries, and that one might be the SIM-less iPhone.

Watch out guys, just watch out. Remember the Apple supply manager charged with selling company secrets? Well, with the case he has now, leaks has been reduced.
post #27 of 34
The only thing I'll care about is the iPhone coming to Sprint. Any announcements regarding the iPhone will mean nothing to me if I still can't buy the damn thing.
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

...

4. Most of the stuff that's already in Mobile Me -- mail, contacts and calendar syncing and online space for documents. Included free with any paid service.

I have been expecting the syncing ability of MobileMe would become free to anyone who buys an OS X based device. I have found the cloud-sync ability alone to be worth the price of MobileMe, but I know many who will not pay for it.

Offering those services for free would probably provide a lead-in to purchasing more of Apple's iCloud services.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

... They might even introduce the cheap iPhone targeted at developing countries, and that one might be the SIM-less iPhone. ...

This is the most likely I think.

They probably won't have hardware at all, but if they do it won't be the new iPhone, all indications are that they haven't even started production yet. If there is new hardware, it will be something totally new and out of left field. Possibly a "nano" feature phone.
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I have been expecting the syncing ability of MobileMe would become free to anyone who buys an OS X based device. I have found the cloud-sync ability alone to be worth the price of MobileMe, but I know many who will not pay for it.

Offering those services for free would probably provide a lead-in to purchasing more of Apple's iCloud services.

Including it with the OS would make it sort of like iLife -- you buy a new Mac, you get the current version of iLife plus iCloud access. Also, it helps Apple market iCloud as a feature of Lion.
post #31 of 34
I used to think it would be cool if MobileMe was a kind of proxy so users had web pages reformatted by Apple for the device they were viewing it on. So mobile safari would see they have MobileMe and Apple would download the page and do all the web-kitty stuff at the server end, then send a page to the iPhone which uses minimum bandwidth, maybe even compressed, and minimum processing/battery power on the iPhone. Images made smaller; maybe even video could be reformatted for hardware acceleration - could popularly viewed flash be re-formatted and cached...

Surfing would be faster, you'd get more pages for your 3G data-cap, happy carriers that love your iPhone more than the data-hog competitors, longer battery life.

It's all about adding value to a paid software service.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Apple is in a "unique position to shock and awe with enhancements, extensions and harmonization" of Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud. [...]

Apple's current revenue stream comes mostly from its hardware margins. That needs to change if Apple wants to stay relevant and profitable in 10 or 20 years. By then, ultra-powerful (by 2011 standards) hardware and ultra-fast wireless internet access will be available everywhere. And the hardware, at least, will be dirt cheap. Apple needs to evolve itself, once again.

But it's not an emergency. If iCloud does actually provide an infrastructure for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that lets those devices function without a Mac or PC, then Apple still has years to roll it out. Truly fast wireless data won't be available widely for years, and when it arrives, it may actually leapfrog fiber-to-the-home. Why bother with costly, expensive, high-maintenance optical fiber routed all through your house when your Macs, PCs, and iDevices can do it wirelessly?

Apple already has experience with iOS devices that don't need a Mac or PC to be activated. Remember Apple TV? Apple's little hobby? If you have one, did you need to connect it to your Mac or PC to activate it? Nope.

Apple TV has obviously been quite a learning experience for Apple. They've used it to test their iOS infrastructure, the same way they used those little click-wheel iPod games to test software downloads through the iTunes Store way back in 2006. The end result? Today's App Store. 500,000+ apps, $1 billion paid to developers.

Apple TV just might be the key that unlocks Apple's future. It's a standalone iOS device, no Mac or PC needed. It connects seamlessly to Apple's iTunes ecosystem. And therefore it is perfectly positioned to do use iCloud, whatever features that may have, and also to run apps on your HDTV set. But there's no hurry. Better to take it one little step at a time.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #33 of 34
I just got a feeling this will be b the old saying "Sell on a rumors a couple of days before the announcement and then buy it right back after the announcement, when it doesn't live up to the unrealistic expectations".

I bet these "analysts" will see in a couple of days and just buy their shares back a day after the announcement.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Reply
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Google is a cloud based service. ICloud is Steve Jobs's revenge to Google for copying iOS with Android OS.

I don't care if it's revenge. I like Google for a lot of free (as in ads pay for it services) and rapid innovation. I don't like Google for doing what the hell they like and breaking things underneath me every now and then.

Google can move out ahead and occasionally break stuff, and Apple can make things appealing and easy to use for the masses.

A world where Google and Apple are competing to deliver the best user experience is a lot better place than one where Microsoft was working hard at smothering all competition to avoid the need to do really good products.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iCloud preannouncement leads Wall Street to expect big things from Apple at WWDC