or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Converting Pages files to doc format: unsatisfactory results

Converting Pages files to doc format: unsatisfactory results

post #1 of 2
We just fetched a copy of Pages for our MBPs yesterday, in anticipation of using Pages on our [future] iPads. Just for the heck of it, I built some business cards. Then I built some basic tables, and some invoices. All these, I tried to export to .doc format. The results were very unsatisfactory!

Pages, of course, was very polite in providing warning messages stating that Pages thought the intended output format did not support certain aspects of the documents, such as floating images. (Word, of course, supports floating images, but perhaps the internal language in which Word phrases a floating image is not known to Pages.) Pages also failed to convert many of the fonts correctly.

Inasmuch as we share our documents with many Word-using friends, it *appears* we'll have to seek some other word processor for our iPads (such as Google Docs) and continue to use LibreOffice on our MBPs. Is this the common experience of most Pages users?
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjpoblam View Post

Is this the common experience of most Pages users?

I don't find Pages' compatibility with Office all that good but the same applies to most 3rd party 'Word-compatible' apps. There are a handful like OpenOffice that do a decent job but aren't available for the iPad due to use of Java etc.

There is an app called QuickOffice, might be worth a try to see if it is more compatible with Microsoft Office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibc_tkXWJ98
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Converting Pages files to doc format: unsatisfactory results