or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ

Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ

post #1 of 50
A software programmer who wrote a jailbreak application that would replace and improve upon Apple's own iPhone notification system has been hired by Apple, AppleInsider can confirm.

Last week, word went out that Peter Hajas had stopped work on his "MobileNotifier" application for jailbroken iPhones. That, along with Twitter posts saying he had gone to work for a "fruit" company in California, led to speculation, from sites like iPhoneinCanada.ca and RedmondPie that Hajas was hired by Apple.

AppleInsider was able to independently confirm on Friday that Hajas has indeed landed a job with the iPhone maker. He is said to be working in Apple's iOS Applications & Frameworks division, at the company's corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

MobileNotifier is an application that was described in the jailbreak-only Cydia application store as "iOS notifications. Done Right." The application had nearly a quarter-million downloads from jailbreak users, and had been upgraded numerous times to reach beta 4.

On his own blog, Hajas said he would be taking a break from the software, but added that his departure was "definitely not goodbye."

"I can't say why, but it's worth it. Trust me," he wrote. "If you look around hard enough, you'll probably figure it out."

Apple's notification system in iOS is often widely criticized as one of the weakest aspect of the mobile operating system. The company is set to show off the next version of its software, iOS 5, at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Though it's possible iOS 5 could include a new notification system for iPhones and iPads -- and has even been rumored as a new feature -- it's unlikely that the recently hired Hajas played a role in the development of any features that might be shown off on Monday.

Hajas is another notifications-centric developer who has made headlines after being hired by Apple. Last June, Apple also hired Rich Dellinger, previously the User Interface Design Architect for Palm, where he designed the notification system for Palm's webOS mobile operating system.
post #2 of 50
If You Can't Beat Them, Hire Them.
post #3 of 50
They should also hire the team (person) that made LockInfo. On it's own or combined with MobileNotifier, it is a great add-on for iOS. Anyhoo, good to hear they hired Peter. For all the things I love about iPhones and iOS, APN is what I hate most.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #4 of 50
This is good news, that system is great. I seem to recall a story last year about Apple hiring back a former employer that went to Palm and created the WebOS notification system too.

I hope these changes make it into iOS 5. I imagine they will come up with something pretty slick.
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MobileNotifier is an application that was described in the jailbreak-only Cydia application store as "iOS notifications. Done Right." The application had nearly a quarter-million downloads from jailbreak users, and had been upgraded numerous times to reach beta 4.

"I can't say why, but it's worth it. Trust me," he wrote. "If you look around hard enough, you'll probably figure it out."

Can anyone who's used this app describe it in more detail than is in this (deliberately?) vague article?
post #6 of 50
Quote:

Though it's possible iOS 5 could include a new notification system for iPhones and iPads -- and has even been rumored as a new feature -- it's unlikely that the recently hired Hajas played a role in the development of any features that might be shown off on Monday.

Don't forget that his work is open source and Apple's developers have had access to it for some time. His coming on board may be for the next release and for Apple to avoid a PR issue. Too, he has proven himself as an able developer. And, has been able to build a good team around him.

Considering Apple''s developers access to iOS 5 and private frameworks it will be interesting to see how much more advanced and better integrated the new notification system will be.
post #7 of 50
I think he was hired to dive into the new notification system Apple has developed for iOS 5 to help polishing it.

MobileNotifier in the form it was presented in video brought few good and few bad things to the notification system. For instance, using the vacant space above task bar is a good thing. Blocking part of the screen with notification while an app keeps running underneath is a bad thing (I would even say Windows-like thing).
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Can anyone who's used this app describe it in more detail than is in this (deliberately?) vague article?

Here is the Apps site:

http://www.peterhajas.com/

And here is a Video describing the latest features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mP0C...layer_embedded
post #9 of 50
[QUOTE=ViktorCode;1874983Blocking part of the screen with notification while an app keeps running underneath is a bad thing (I would even say Windows-like thing).[/QUOTE]

That was fixed in the newer betas. It's more refined now.
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

It completely replaces the UI of Apple Notification system. Right now, with Apple's implementation, if you get multiple notifications, you only see the last one when you look at your phone. If any apps you have provide notifications are not on your first screen, then you might have to periodically scan the other screens to see if you missed any notifications.

With this app, you get a bar that appears at the top of whatever screen you have open (instead of a bubble). From this bar, you can dismiss the message, open the app that has the notification and you can see a list of all pending notifications. This bar doesn't block you app, the way APN's do, so you can just keep doing what you are doing if you want and it will fade away. If you double click your home button to bring up the multitask dock, the unused screen space above the multitask bar is used to display any pending notifications. You can also select to dismiss all pending notifications in one step. If your phone is locked, then when you wake it, while on the lock screen you will have a list of any notifications that came in while the phone was locked/asleep.

It isn't perfect and lacks Apple's polish, but functionally it is way ahead of Apple's APN UI. I find it to be both less intrusive and yet more interactive and more functional. It really provides powerfully quick access to notifications. Combined with LockInfo (or some other LockScreen utility which shows mail, SMS, calendar, etc info) and SBSettings, I have almost no complaints about my iPhone these days.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerster View Post

That was fixed in the newer betas. It's more refined now.

yep. A great improvement.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerster View Post

Don't forget that his work is open source and Apple's developers have had access to it for some time. His coming on board may be for the next release and for Apple to avoid a PR issue. Too, he has proven himself as an able developer. And, has been able to build a good team around him.

Considering Apple''s developers access to iOS 5 and private frameworks it will be interesting to see how much more advanced and better integrated the new notification system will be.

The code might be open source, but that might be a reason for Apple not to use it, depending on which license it was opened under. Apple doesn't need the code. I think the hired him for his ideas and insight. APN was great when it first came out and filled a lot of holes (multitasking) that were glaring in iOS. But, it has stagnated and has been in need of massive improvements for a long time. Peter (and the guy from Palm) can bring in the ideas as to what is needed.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #13 of 50
Quote:

... Though it's possible iOS 5 could include a new notification system for iPhones and iPads -- and has even been rumored as a new feature -- it's unlikely that the recently hired Hajas played a role in the development of any features that might be shown off on Monday. ...

I would think they just hired him because the system they worked out is likely similar to his. HIring him stops the IP problem.
post #14 of 50
Some interesting ideas here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pyg0oTzYeE

The notifications they show are not far off of what Peter implemented.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #15 of 50
Hire him - make him sign an NDA and a non-compete - and sign over rights to any code he develops while employed - don;t let him develop anything for jail broken iOS while employed of course - then after he has contributed significant updates - let him go with legal guarantees that he won't be able to come up with anything that be releasing any apps that compete in any way with Apple's own. could be a plan - or I am being a bit paranoid here?
post #16 of 50
WHy did this post just become breaking. If it was such a breaking story, would you not have made it breaking to start. You actually proved that it was not a breaking story by not giving it breaking status until 20-30 mins after you wrote the story. What a hilarious contradiction you just self imposed. In a dry way, this is the funniest thing I have read all day.
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Hire him - make him sign an NDA and a non-compete - and sign over rights to any code he develops while employed - don;t let him develop anything for jail broken iOS while employed of course - then after he has contributed significant updates - let him go with legal guarantees that he won't be able to come up with anything that be releasing any apps that compete in any way with Apple's own. could be a plan - or I am being a bit paranoid here?

Perhaps. The first part may very well be close to the mark. I doubt that they plan to torpedo him though. That's M$'s style, not Apple's.

What's the old adage? Oh yes: Keep your friends close, keep your enemies even closer.

By the way: When he became an employee, he signed a contract that Apple owns all code he writes during his employment (unless he specifically gets a written waiver, on a project by project basis), with likely a non-compete clause for a year or two after employment termination.
post #18 of 50
yet another example why Apple is such an innovative company, not copying anything from others, THE original fruit company... :/

Anyways, I DO look forward for a nice notification system for iOS, as now it's cr@p!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Some interesting ideas here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pyg0oTzYeE

The notifications they show are not far off of what Peter implemented.

1) The app widgets that are on the Home Screen I like in lieu of the current option but overall I'd have to say they are too limited and tacky.

2) I like the frequently used Settings on the Home Screen as an icon but think this would be better served in a different way (which I won't get into here).

3) Notifications on the bottom I don't care for. Much prefer Hajas implementation at the top of the display. Again, anything is better than what is in iOS 4.0.

4) I strongly dislike Fast App Switcher showing you an image of the app. Icons are much easier to discern.

5) I love the Favorite Contacts on the Home Screen.

The whole video is well done. I wonder how long it took to make.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #20 of 50
I guess the Palm guy they hired isn't getting it done right.
post #21 of 50
Quote:

I'm guessing you're being a bit paranoid. I'm sure they liked his work. Weren't getting it done internally. Hired the best guy for the job. Pretty straightforward.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #22 of 50
Quote:

Non-compete clauses are essentially unenforceable in the state of California.

From a philosophical standpoint, non-competes are the antithesis of the basic culture of Silicon Valley. The place was founded by people who bailed from other companies to start their own.

Shockley Semi begat Fairchild. Fairchild begat Intel and AMD. Et cetera ad nauseam.

The place is built by people who think they are start up a new company and do a better job than their former employer.
post #23 of 50
This is intriguing. It shows that Apple keep an eye on what the jailbreak community are producing and are willing to cherry pick what they feel are the best bits when it suits them.

The thing about iOS5 this year is that we have almost no information on it, and that somehow makes it very exciting to see what they have in store for us on Monday.
post #24 of 50
Quote:

Much Paranoid. Put on your tinfoil hat. Steve can read your thoughts.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 50
It would be awesome if he did play a role in the development of the new notification system, because his is really good.

And btw apple should lay off the jailbreak community, we don't jailbreak for stealing, but for tinkering, and tinkering produces awesome outcomes like this. In fact a lot of good apps on Cydia are paid apps.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I guess the Palm guy they hired isn't getting it done right.

Either that or "great minds think alike."

Seriously though, it says right in the article that there is no way he can really contribute to iOS notifications unless they are delaying working on them until iOS 6. He's almost certainly been hired because he's a great programmer, and/or because the notifications they came up with were similar to his idea. I can't see any other reasonable explanation.
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Either that or "great minds think alike."

Seriously though, it says right in the article that there is no way he can really contribute to iOS notifications unless they are delaying working on them until iOS 6. He's almost certainly been hired because he's a great programmer, and/or because the notifications they came up with were similar to his idea. I can't see any other reasonable explanation.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a summer internship at Apple since he still attend school. He will most likely end up working at Apple.
post #28 of 50
Now they just need to hire the biteSMS team.
post #29 of 50
Sony - pay attention, this is what you do when someone tries to make your product better, not sue them. Apple gets a round of applause, Sony get another server hacked and bought to its knees.
post #30 of 50
SBSettings and LockInfo is indispensable now. As is/was DisplayOut. Apple "got it" with incorporating full mirroring that DisplayOut did into the iPad 2.

Good move with improving notifications, but as some posters mention, with SBSettings, LockInfo and DisplayOut, I'm sitting pretty with my iPhone 4. Not a big SMS or notifications person so I don't care too much about that. I just need LockInfo to show me calendar reminders on my lockscreen.

Anyways, again, for those that need it, an improved notification system is essential. Let's see what iOS 5 brings to the table.
post #31 of 50
Whatever it takes. I hate the modular notification system.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It would be awesome if he did play a role in the development of the new notification system, because his is really good.

And btw apple should lay off the jailbreak community, we don't jailbreak for stealing, but for tinkering, and tinkering produces awesome outcomes like this. In fact a lot of good apps on Cydia are paid apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Oh yes: Keep your friends close, keep your enemies even closer.

I think Apple has been smarter than we suspect in dealing with the jailbreak situation. They have to clamp down on it to some extent, and they have spent most of their energy in secret making the carrier locks incredibly difficult to crack even to this day. DRM'ed iBooks are also still broken AFAIK in the 4.3.3 jailbreak. So Apple appears to have been able to focus on the bigger picture with regards to jailbreaks and unlocks.

As for hiring from the jailbreak community, it is indeed a matter of "keeping your enemies even closer".

There's also talk of moles working for Apple within the jailbreak/unlock community.
post #33 of 50
Quote:

Not paranoid, just daft. You truly reckon he'd go for a deal like that?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #34 of 50
I have wondered if Apple deliberately leaves a hole open for jail-breaking, giving Apple plausible deniability in terms of support/reputation if anything goes wrong, but still allowing ideas to emerge.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheels View Post

if you can't beat them, hire them.

DropBox !!!

post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

DropBox !!!

Apple usually never hires/buys the companies I want them to buy. But hey, they are successful so who am to say they are wrong but I will not be happy if iCloud doesn't have the same basic sync features as Dropbox.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple usually never hires/buys the companies I want them to buy. But hey, they are successful so who am to say they are wrong but I will not be happy if iCloud doesn't have the same basic sync features as Dropbox.

Although I certainly like the extra features in DropBox, it's their ability to make a system that's so fast and reliable and communicates clearly how it's doing. All the features I expect of a 'premium' product.

I'd be happy if they bought them just to teach Apple how to code up iDisk.

post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Although I certainly like the extra features in DropBox, it's their ability to make a system that's so fast and reliable and communicates clearly how it's doing. All the features I expect of a 'premium' product.

I'd be happy if they bought them just to teach Apple how to code up iDisk.

That's the thing, Apple already owns and uses all the components that make Dropbox successful… they just haven't used them in MobileMe/iDIsk yet.

I'll try to ignore standard features like speed and security, and instead focus on only the unique and clever:
Delta encoding
Dropbox uses delta encoding. It's local and remote services check the file and only send or receive the parts that are needed for the update. Even with a fast connection this can save a lot of time in, for example, you change 2 lines in a 50MB .XLS file. Time Machine already uses this technique.

Intelligent inter-account backups
Like delta encoding, if part or all of the file is already on their server (or in your local Dropbox folder) the system will up/download the remaining bits or simply give you a relative link to that file. Meaning, even it's already on their server by some other user with different meta- and file name a large file could upload almost instantly. Time Machine may do this for multiple volumes, but I'm not 100% certain.

Versioning
The free account gets 30 days of versions while paid accounts get unlimited versions for as long as they are paid members. Time Machine of course has this, and now Lion has provisions for this in many apps.

Seamless file segmenting
Dropbox strips large files down to 4MB chunk and puts them into a hidden folder in /Dropbox/.dropbox.cache, if I recall correctly. Much like a combination of RAR or bit torrent. If your internet connection is stopped at most only one piece has to be completely resent, though I think the delta encoding allows even that part of a file to be recovered. The one area where Dropbox (and SugarSync) falters (and it's not their fault) is in full Mac OS X integration. There are just some things that it can't do that Apple could do in spades.

One feature I'd love is to allow me to right-click on any file or folder in my Home folder to add it to iDisk/iCloud from the Contexual Menu or from Get Infro and checking the Add to iDisk/iCloud box. When syncing it gets a little spinning icon within eh icon, just like Dropbox, and when complete gets a little iCloud icon or a green check, like Dropbox. I can then move this file around anyone in my OS and it will maintain it's "cloud" sync.
post #39 of 50
Apple doesn't need to buy Dropbox. iDisk and Dropbox are fundamentally different technologies.

When iDisk was created it was never planned to be a great sync tool. That's what iSync was for and iDisk was nice volume that you could store data on and access it everywhere. Thusly it's architecture wasn't built around sync or incredible speed for that matter.

Dropbox was conceived as an easy to to sync files from the start and thusly it was architected to deliver speed and ease of use.

Apple doesn't need to buy Dropbox because if iCloud is as integrated as I think it is Dropbox isn't going to stand much of a chance.

AppAdvice had a nice little article about it. They posit that iCloud's API may not just be about syncing a folder to the Cloud but it may actually enable Cloud Sync in every application.

Now think about that. That erases the need for consumers to think and decide which folders to sync. Now the sync becomes app centric and always available. Buy a Universal app with iCloud support and automagically get sync built in with no need to worry about dragging documents into a folder for sync. From a consumer ease of use standpoint that's likely easier to manage.

I'm sure you'd be able to sync folders as well though because supporting that would be trivial.

If you look at the Versions feature in Lion it's not hard to extrapolate how they can take these "snapshots" and sync them to iCloud.

Couple that with Apple running its own datacenter and not having to leverage Amazon storage services and you have iCloud potentially moving to a place of dominance as a sync technology in less than a year.

Imagine logging into iCloud.com with your Apple ID and getting access to not just synced folders but ANY document you've created from an iCloud supported app without even having to try.

That's superior.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple doesn't need to buy Dropbox. iDisk and Dropbox are fundamentally different technologies.

The mention that Apple should buy Dropbox is so they can incorporate Dropbox's IP into Apple's cloud service. Considering that Apple has bought other companies for their IP I don't think that's a bad suggestion even though, as previously mentioned, Apple already owns all the part types of Dropbox's service.

Quote:
AppAdvice had a nice little article about it. They posit that iCloud's API may not just be about syncing a folder to the Cloud but it may actually enable Cloud Sync in every application.

That will make me happy. I want my iOS App Store and Mac App Store apps to have the same data regardless of which device I use. Add this with some location awareness it could be a seamless switch between my Mac and iPhone/iPad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ