or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes leak suggests Automatic Download option coming to iOS 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes leak suggests Automatic Download option coming to iOS 5 - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

App updates on iOS are a mess. I don't want to have to download a 500MB app again just because a developer fixed a tiny bug. It should be possible for them to release a patch, rather than simply forcing users to download the entire application again.

Also, Apple needs to go a long way to get rid of the hideous iTunes client download process on PC and do more to be like http://market.android.com. Android users can purchase an app on this website from any PC and it will be automatically added to their phone without syncing or manual intervention on the phone itself.

A patch? You have to be kidding.

But if you are siting Android as a perfect example of how it should be done, I can see how you think that patches is the way to go.

And just how many apps have you gotten that are near 500MB in size?

I stand corrected. You don't have an iPad or an iPhone.

What I don't quite grasp is how you can be so definitive about what Apple has to do or how well Google has done better. But then, I must admit that I really can't say much since I don't have the experience you have had with your Windows Phone 7 on your Samsung OMNIA 7.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

App updates on iOS are a mess. I don't want to have to download a 500MB app again just because a developer fixed a tiny bug. It should be possible for them to release a patch, rather than simply forcing users to download the entire application again.

Also, Apple needs to go a long way to get rid of the hideous iTunes client download process on PC and do more to be like http://market.android.com. Android users can purchase an app on this website from any PC and it will be automatically added to their phone without syncing or manual intervention on the phone itself.

a patch? lol so it can grow heavy and slow like the windowze? no thanks.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

a patch? lol so it can grow heavy and slow like the windowze? no thanks.

I don't see a correlation between the two. Plus, if you look at Mac OS it gets points updates that only update areas of the code based and security updates that are quite small. I think the one from last week was only 2MB. With my iPhone always being connected I'd like to see a 2MB security update that I could DL and install OTA instead of waiting for a full update to appear.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 52
The problem with patches is simple - if something goes wrong in transmission your app will crash.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The problem with patches is simple - if something goes wrong in transmission your app will crash.

I don't think so - the patch file should be verified before being applied. In any case the same problem would exist with downloading the entire app - if it were corrupted then it would not run.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I don't think so - the patch file should be verified before being applied. In any case the same problem would exist with downloading the entire app - if it were corrupted then it would not run.

Every app iteration is verified by Apple.

I am not sure that Apple can, can't or will allow iOS apps to be updated by simply releasing a patch.

At over half a billion apps in the store, I would believe that it would be far simpler and safer for developers and Apple to verify, manage, store, disseminate and track full apps than parts of one.

As a software developer, it is far easier to provide my clients the option of updating a new release than try to keep track of every solution and version I have ever worked on. Some of my clients dictate that the updates be automatic. Otherwise, most of their mobile employees would always be behind.

Generally speaking, the majority of iOS apps are less than a 100 MBs. My largest is the TomTom at 1.5 GBs, but I would expect that for any large databased application. I just looked into my Mobile Applications folder and out of more that 500 iPhone and iPad apps, less than a handful are above 200 MBs and the rest are basically less than 100MBs. In fact, 2/3rds are less that 10 MBS.

I don't quite understand the concern here. Apple will surely allow the option of automation or manually updating iOS apps. I see no history of them doing otherwise.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Every app iteration is verified by Apple.

I am not sure that Apple can, can't or will allow iOS apps to be updated by simply releasing a patch.

At over half a billion apps in the store, I would believe that it would be far simpler and safer for developers and Apple to verify, manage, store, disseminate and track full apps than parts of one.

As a software developer, it is far easier to provide my clients the option of updating a new release than try to keep track of every solution and version I have ever worked on. Some of my clients dictate that the updates be automatic. Otherwise, most of their mobile employees would always be behind.

Generally speaking, the majority of iOS apps are less than a 100 MBs. My largest is the TomTom at 1.5 GBs, but I would expect that for any large databased application. I just looked into my Mobile Applications folder and out of more that 500 iPhone and iPad apps, less than a handful are above 200 MBs and the rest are basically less than 100MBs. In fact, 2/3rds are less that 10 MBS.

I don't quite understand the concern here. Apple will surely allow the option of automation or manually updating iOS apps. I see no history of them doing otherwise.

I assumed that asdasd was referring to corruption during the download process rather than an error in the patch (or app) itself. I may have misunderstood the concern.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I assumed that asdasd was referring to corruption during the download process rather than an error in the patch (or app) itself. I may have misunderstood the concern.

Sorry, my concern was not dircted towards you comment.

In fact, I agree with you and should have stated such at the beginning.
post #49 of 52
A blast from the past.

1997: Steve Jobs on iCloud? And a lot of other great things.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/04/steve...dc-1997-blast/
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A blast from the past.

1997: Steve Jobs on iCloud? And a lot of other great things.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/04/steve...dc-1997-blast/

This just makes me depressed about iCloud, because it won't be half of what Steve had a decade and a half ago. It won't be anywhere near this.

The big thing we can take away from this WWDC keynote is that Steve can COMPLETELY change his mind in less than six months. He's in support of the clones here. THE CLONES! Sometime between here and August of next year, Steve sees what would become the first iMac in his mind and says, "Screw the clones; our hardware's amazing." And he kills them off.
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

A blast from the past.

1997: Steve Jobs on iCloud? And a lot of other great things.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/06/04/steve...dc-1997-blast/

I like what he said after that about not being perceived as different, but as much better.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This just makes me depressed about iCloud, because it won't be half of what Steve had a decade and a half ago. It won't be anywhere near this.

The big thing we can take away from this WWDC keynote is that Steve can COMPLETELY change his mind in less than six months. He's in support of the clones here. THE CLONES! Sometime between here and August of next year, Steve sees what would become the first iMac in his mind and says, "Screw the clones; our hardware's amazing." And he kills them off.

The difference between being a consultant, an interim CEO and the CEO.

http://www.allaboutstevejobs.com/mov...nts/01/01.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes leak suggests Automatic Download option coming to iOS 5