or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features - Page 4

post #121 of 212
[QUOTE=Wovel;1876320]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post


And android copied palms and the Cydia system (you know the one written by the guys who now work for Apple..

Actually the notification system looks a lot like Lockinfo for the JB iPhones.

http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/
post #122 of 212
[QUOTE=LonerATO;1876797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post


Actually the notification system looks a lot like Lockinfo for the JB iPhones.

http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/

The whole "Android copied Apple" stuff was always fairly stupid IMO. Android was started back in 2003. Google bought it with plans to further develop it as a mobile phone OS in 2005. Eric Schmidt didn't join the Apple board until late in 2006. Yet Android came from Apple ideas.

At the worst Google might have seen how a mobile platform could be integrated during late 2006 and into 2007 and taken some cues from Apple. But Google had plans for Android development no matter what Apple was doing, and had them in progress well before any possible inside info they got from Schmidt on the board. No one here has any idea what direction they were going, or even if Apple borrowed any ideas for the iPhone from Google during Mr. Jobs walks/talks with Sergey and company.

With the possible exception of Samsung, nobody (the Chinese don't count) "stole" anything from anybody IMO. Each of the players has tried to better the others with each feature improvement. Google, HP, Microsoft, Apple, Asus, HTC . . . Each thinks they have a better way to do certain mobile features, even tho the original idea came from someone else.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #123 of 212
[QUOTE=Gatorguy;1876839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post


The whole "Android copied Apple" stuff was always fairly stupid IMO. Android was started back in 2003. Google bought it with plans to further develop it as a mobile phone OS in 2005. Eric Schmidt didn't join the Apple board until late in 2006. Yet Android came from Apple ideas.

The original Android looked like a Blackberry. This is well documented. The modern Android is a clear copy of the multi-touch touchscreen keyboardless phone first created by Apple.

Android is a clear and obvious copy of the iPhone. WP7 isnt.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #124 of 212
[QUOTE=Gatorguy;1876839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post


The whole "Android copied Apple" stuff was always fairly stupid IMO. Android was started back in 2003. Google bought it with plans to further develop it as a mobile phone OS in 2005. Eric Schmidt didn't join the Apple board until late in 2006. Yet Android came from Apple ideas.

At the worst Google might have seen how a mobile platform could be integrated during late 2006 and into 2007 and taken some cues from Apple. But Google had plans for Android development no matter what Apple was doing, and had them in progress well before any possible inside info they got from Schmidt on the board. No one here has any idea what direction they were going, or even if Apple borrowed any ideas for the iPhone from Google during Mr. Jobs walks/talks with Sergey and company.

With the possible exception of Samsung, nobody (the Chinese don't count) "stole" anything from anybody IMO. Each of the players has tried to better the others with each feature improvement. Google, HP, Microsoft, Apple, Asus, HTC . . . Each thinks they have a better way to do certain mobile features, even tho the original idea came from someone else.


Sigh. I don't want to have to yet again go find those pictures of the RIM like Android prototype that was making the rounds before they got a look at the iPhone, please don't make me.

As usual (with these kinds of discussions, not you personally), this is a complete straw man argument. No one, that I know of, is claiming that Google made a phone because of the iPhone or that it was "copying" to simply have gotten into the handset business.

What does get said, because it's undeniably true, is that Google was chasing the RIM/WIndows model of smartphone, with a ton of little buttons and a small screen, until the iPhone was released, whereupon "Android" magically transformed into a big screen with multitouch. Just like every other smart phone abruptly did.

I just get so tired of the idea that Apple released the iPhone and then, just sort of coincidentally, everyone else got around to making the very iPhone like phones that they no doubt had intended to make all along.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #125 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, those photocopiers haven't been used very much. Last time it was Xerox PARC. It's usually the other guys that are copying Apple, but feel free to gloat this time. You won't get many chances to

One more thing, can anyone remind us again what Android would have looked like in a world without the iPhone? Anyone?

Here's what Android looked like before the iPhone:



But now Apple has copied Android's notifications, they're even! That totally makes up for Google slavishly copying every last element of the iPhone's user interface over a period of several years.
post #126 of 212
[QUOTE=addabox;1876845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



Sigh. I don't want to have to yet again go find those pictures of the RIM like Android prototype that was making the rounds before they got a look at the iPhone, please don't make me.

As usual (with these kinds of discussions, not you personally), this is a complete straw man argument. No one, that I know of, is claiming that Google made a phone because of the iPhone or that it was "copying" to simply have gotten into the handset business.

What does get said, because it's undeniably true, is that Google was chasing the RIM/WIndows model of smartphone, with a ton of little buttons and a small screen, until the iPhone was released, whereupon "Android" magically transformed into a big screen with multitouch. Just like every other smart phone abruptly did.

I just get so tired of the idea that Apple released the iPhone and then, just sort of coincidentally, everyone else got around to making the very iPhone like phones that they no doubt had intended to make all along.

It wasn't just that their prototypes were chasing the Blackberry. The first Android phone, the G1 (released in late 2008), was very much in keeping with pre-iPhone smart phones.



It's use of touch was quite limited. Android then gained more and more features of the iPhone over the following 3 years. Many features, such as pinch to zoom, were kept back because Google didn't know if implementing them would infringe on Apple's IP.
post #127 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Here's what Android looked like before the iPhone:

...

And they didn't stop making phones like that. You can get many Android phones with potrait keyboards today. And that was never a publicly released device. Yet it had many of the features that you see in every Android up to today. It laid out the desktop concept, the app drawer, the notification blind, etc. Suggesting that Google 'copied' iOS flat out is extremely simplistic. Google did, however, certainly make Android far more touchscreen friendly after iOS came out. But the basic features of Android were laid out well before iOS....and some of those features are now being incorporated into iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

But now Apple has copied Android's notifications, they're even! That totally makes up for Google slavishly copying every last element of the iPhone's user interface over a period of several years.

Not just the notifications for the taskbar. Lockscreen notifications from Samsung Touchwiz. Split Keyboard from Windows. Camera quick start from Windows Phone. My apps function from Android Market. Android intents with iCloud. iMessage from BBM.

None of that is to say that Apple is wrong. I'm glad to see they are finally incorporating this stuff into iOS. This is just part of the cycle of innovation. Heck, some of these changes could prompt me to get an iPhone if they get the hardware features I want and decide to support my network.
post #128 of 212
[QUOTE=addabox;1876845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



Sigh. I don't want to have to yet again go find those pictures of the RIM like Android prototype that was making the rounds before they got a look at the iPhone, please don't make me.

As usual (with these kinds of discussions, not you personally), this is a complete straw man argument. No one, that I know of, is claiming that Google made a phone because of the iPhone or that it was "copying" to simply have gotten into the handset business.

What does get said, because it's undeniably true, is that Google was chasing the RIM/WIndows model of smartphone, with a ton of little buttons and a small screen, until the iPhone was released, whereupon "Android" magically transformed into a big screen with multitouch. Just like every other smart phone abruptly did.

I just get so tired of the idea that Apple released the iPhone and then, just sort of coincidentally, everyone else got around to making the very iPhone like phones that they no doubt had intended to make all along.

Does it really matter that one of the original ideas for a "Google phone" (pre-iPhone) resembled a Blackberry more than an iPhone? All it shows is that Google was smart enough to realize Apple's idea was an improvement over anything RIM had done with hardware. Blackberry's design was destined for the dustbin and Google could see that.

But they never intended to manufacture phones to compete with Apple in the first place. So what a mock-up looked like that was intended to shop to potential partners doesn't really matter at the end of the day does it? It wasn't "magic" but probably recognition that Apple had a great idea. Knowing that, would it have been smart of Google to carry on with a RIM-flavored design that they had determined had no future? Obviously not.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #129 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's so much stuff that I have a feeling this was Jobs last time as ring master and his greatest Show on Earth.

Elvis has left the building .



so smile for us one last time because it will never be again as great as we had it .
never.


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #130 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

WTF! Why are there still no mailbox specific signatures in iOS 5?

Agreed. This has been my #1 feature request since 2007.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #131 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

You're telling me that google tried to copy apple's grid launcher and ended up with multiple desktops and widgets. Right. Sorry, but android has more in common with symbian than it does with iOS.

No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you Apple created a new touchscreen UI for phones and other devices virtually from scratch and Google copied all of it. Inertial scrolling, swipe, pinch to zoom, the way touch-based UI widgets work, the on-screen keyboard, copy and paste, the way the browser works, many of the basic design elements of apps, and so on. Sure, there's a few things that are different. Some of them come from the fact that Android was originally going after the Blackberry and had a menu and icon based UI more suited to a track ball. Some stuff is original. But the bulk of it, as it has developed over the last 3 years, was directly copied from the iPhone.
post #132 of 212
Good to see that Apple continues to take ideas and feature design directly from the jailbreak community. At least someone knows what people want and how to get it to them quickly and well done. Here's to Apple continuing to copy jailbreak devs for future iOS features!
post #133 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But what about:
Let the backtracking begin.

I think it's very different to have complete control knowing that if you have v4.3.0 then you can work out what needs applied to go to 4.3.1 etc. This is very different from Windows (or Mac OS X) where you can have different file installed by patches, application upgrades, changes, losing files, duplicate DLLs, service packs etc. or different versions of Windows.

If you can work out the delta between 4.3.0 and 4.3.1 it will provide you the differences you need to update. What it should mean is that you will have a binary compatible version of 4.3.1 and there will be no difference to whether you started with it, or upgraded, or which version you upgraded from.

The extra control that Apple have over the operating system of the phone means they can do this.
post #134 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you Apple created a new touchscreen UI for phones and other devices virtually from scratch and Google copied all of it. Inertial scrolling, swipe, pinch to zoom, the way touch-based UI widgets work, the on-screen keyboard, copy and paste, the way the browser works, many of the basic design elements of apps, and so on. Sure, there's a few things that are different. Some of them come from the fact that Android was originally going after the Blackberry and had a menu and icon based UI more suited to a track ball. Some stuff is original. But the bulk of it, as it has developed over the last 3 years, was directly copied from the iPhone.

If you had said influenced by the iPhone, I'd agree with much of what you wrote. Copied?

There's a lot of influences going around the mobile community. Outright copying not so much.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #135 of 212
I love iMessage, why don't they merge it with FaceTime to have something like Skype?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #136 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Looks to me like a piece of crap.

I'm asking about features to help me decide if I should switch to Android.

Then you will really have something to complain about with being discovered in the Market Place, Google tracking your phone position every minute, security concerns of using small developers and not making any money in the Android Market.
post #137 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Speak for yourself. Lack of Facebook integration for photos is annoying, because I have to use FB's crappy app.

You can also upload photos by email.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #138 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you had said influenced by the iPhone, I'd agree with much of what you wrote. Copied?

There's a lot of influences going around the mobile community. Outright copying not so much.

An approach to a bit of business is an influence. The iPhone inalterably changed the smartphone market, and iOS is inalterably changing the PC market. That's not influence, that's historic.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #139 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Cupertino, start your photocopiers!


Seriously? You think Apple saw Microsoft present this feature for Windows 8 just recently, then really quickly copied it? Do you know how stupid that makes you look?
post #140 of 212
So when can we expect an FM radio?
post #141 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes, and no -- the iPad is now officially a post-pc device.

BTW, my 11-year-old grandson (with direction from his 15-year-old sister) did his final term project entirely on an iPad, using iMovie.

He got his grade today... A+... With a comment on his final report card -- "Best EVER project".

That grade, along with the interest, skills and confidence gained, repaid the investment in the iPad -- many times over...

Up until this year, he had always been a poor to average student.

...one happy, grampy!


So his sister did it for him and you are giving the kudos to the ipad? Did you give it to the book and pencil too?
post #142 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

So his sister did it for him and you are giving the kudos to the ipad? Did you give it to the book and pencil too?

He used iMovie. Therefore the iPad contributed to the project.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #143 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Seriously? You think Apple saw Microsoft present this feature for Windows 8 just recently, then really quickly copied it? Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

See: Samsung vs Apple
post #144 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I love iMessage, why don't they merge it with FaceTime to have something like Skype?

Or why not just support Skype rather than limiting it to only work with other iPhones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Seriously? You think Apple saw Microsoft present this feature for Windows 8 just recently, then really quickly copied it? Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

I'm guessing he doesn't, but is just taking the opportunity to post the equivelent of all the other posts that claim Microsoft copied Apple ignoring the fact they couldn't develope a feature that quick. Or just look at the topics from a few days ago claiming MS were copying Apple by announcing the Xbox updates on the same day as Apples conference, despite the fact their different products and the alternative would have to be moving E3 to a different week!
post #145 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He used iMovie. Therefore the iPad contributed to the project.



The tools used are secondary to the content. It's a nice story, but it'd a load of balls from an educational standpoint. So everyone should use an iPad to "enhance" their projects?

Yes, everyone who can afford one. Load of shite.
post #146 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyside4fyr View Post

So when can we expect an FM radio?

Probably never?
post #147 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I find it amusing- Year of the copycats

I find it amusing it's only a problem when Apple is accused of doing it.

Quote:
Just saying.

Indeed
post #148 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

dont forget the volume button as shutter.. what a fiasco.

I was waiting for this - so when Apple does listen and adapt to their customers it's a "fiasco".

Brilliant!
post #149 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Any reason why Apple is holding off until Fall for this iOS-5 release.

Er, because it's not done? If you have ever been involved with any kind of software development project you would probably be a little more understanding.

It's not like they are intentionally holding it back or anything - indeed, I'm sure the only reason they are tipping their hands is to give developers time to get ready for the new features. Imagine that - announcing the new version with classes on how to take advantage of them at a - gasp - developers conference!

Oh the humanity!
post #150 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I just want an app that will notify me when all the bitching, whining, complaining and trolling is close to an end at Apple Insider after an event like WWDC.

What's the estimated time to the heat death of the universe? I would look for it around then
post #151 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

WTF! Why are there still no mailbox specific signatures in iOS 5?

Or mailbox rules.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #152 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Apple did not invent multi touch, they popularized it.

lol - I love the subtle marginalization of "they popularized it"

Quote:
They have a patent for it, but where not the first to dabble in the tech.

I'm glad you admit they weren't the first to play with mulit-touch concepts. The important distinction, along with most things Apple, is they were the first to bring the technology in a readily accessible and affordable way to the masses.

It's something they seem to have a knack for the and the rest of the industry tends to have their collective thumbs up their bungs blinking in disbelief and denial. It's not about geek oriented checklists, developers or the tech press - it's about the users! The average joe users too....

I'm sure you meant it as a trivialization and a slant but really it's the highest compliment. To make something popular it has to be accessible. That's what Apple excels at. Their market cap is no accident despite the fervent denials by the blind haters in forums like this one

If it was so bloody easy or just marketing, why is Apple the only company that seems to "get it" then?
post #153 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Netbooks used to be the closest thing, and that's why they sold as well as they did, and why we see many people buying tablets instead. It's what they wanted to begin with.

Exactly. Netbooks didn't necessarily sell because they were what people wanted, they were the best solution at the time.

Quote:
Believe it or not, netbooks are still an overkill for many many people, and it's THESE people that switch to tablets.

Yup. Just like for the vast majority of people, a full blown personal computer (Mac or Windows) is overkill. iOS is going to move into the "everyman computer" role that up until now general purpose personal computers held.

And just like Mainframes and minicomputers didn't go away but evolved, the general purpose PC's role will evolve too. It will still be there for those who want or need them.

I swear the rampant paranoia and insecurity around iOS by some makes the hyperventilation over the mere existence of the Mac by some non-Apple users pale in comparison
post #154 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Or why not just support Skype rather than limiting it to only work with other iPhones.

Because then they wouldn't control the total user experience.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #155 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Or why not just support Skype rather than limiting it to only work with other iPhones.

For the same reason Google Voice doesn't get native support.

Now that Microsoft owns Skype and the underlying technology, that's the last thing Apple should support natively in iOS 5.

If you need Skype (or GV), get the apps for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because then they wouldn't control the total user experience.

Sometimes it's not as much about not having control over the user experience as it is about who would control it...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #156 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Seriously? You think Apple saw Microsoft present this feature for Windows 8 just recently, then really quickly copied it? Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

Heh, Microsoft itself is saying Apple is copying the "split keyboard" idea from Win 8. What will be funny is the iOS 5 will be on iPads about 1 year before Win 8 hits the market.

Ah. Trolldom. It deserves nothing less than total derision.
post #157 of 212
Bluetooth/WiFi Homescreen Button??

Please, please please let this make it into iOS5.
post #158 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Well I think the reason this was underwhelming for a lot of people is because it seems a good chuck of the big hitters in this keynote were fixing deficiencies.

Just like the iPhone fixed the deficiencies that was the entire class of smartphones before it.

Were back to "Everything is amazing and no one is happy"

Bunch of petulant whiners. Welcome to the Internet!
post #159 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsalvesd View Post

Someone please tell me that IOS5 will finally allow saving and filing of articles of interest on my iPad

Yes - they are synced to the cloud. Seriously, watch the keynote. And no, it's not a file system like you are accustomed to. And yes, that's a good thing!
post #160 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

It's not about geek oriented checklists, developers or the tech press - it's about the users! The average joe users too....

The relationship between Geeks and Joes is one strained beyond imagination, but is the reason for the world we live in today.

The Geeks have provided the tech and information necessary for the Joes to enjoy such benefits.

However the Geeks would have no incentive to make their technologies or ideas public if the Joes were not as supportive.

The only major conflict was to who should set the standard. The Joes being more plentiful outright won that battle. The Joe is still dependent however on the geek to supply him/her with products and/or protect them from other geeks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features