or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features - Page 5

post #161 of 212
DocNo42, you seem to be a bit on the grumpy side this morning.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #162 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

Good to see that Apple continues to take ideas and feature design directly from the jailbreak community. At least someone knows what people want and how to get it to them quickly and well done. Here's to Apple continuing to copy jailbreak devs for future iOS features!

The irony of it... And so many of those jailbreak apps exist to deliver functionality available on Android but which Apple didn't wish to support.

There is still room for Apple to copy.
post #163 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Actually it's you that is blinkered and ignorant, Android fan boy that you are. Most iOS users have been pretty much in agreement that if Apple were to improve anything on iOS, is should have been notifications first.

As far as Apple fanboys infesting Android sites, utter and complete bullshit. You're straight up lying. OTOH, go to the comments on pretty much any Apple article on any tech site and listen to the long, ugly yowl of the Android army as they belittle the site management for sucking Apple's dick for even mentioning the name and bellowing about the "fanboys" and what they'd probably be saying or thinking, if they were actually in evidence.

Kind of like what your'e doing here. I mean, you're reduced to incomprehensible gibberish like claiming that people are responding well to Apple's just announced notification system is evidence that they thought Apple's notification was better all along.

I'm glad you think being an asshole is funny, but it isn't really. Android people are the biggest douchebags on the internet, constantly on the lookout for any Apple news they can shit on. I guess iOS users are too busy enjoying their gear to bother to do the same-- although apparently they don't have to, since the average Android user is convinced that these fan boys are everywhere, just about to say something stupid.

Really, look at this thread. Apple oriented site, Apple announces big update to iOS that addresses a lot of long standing complaints, and there are half a dozen assholes on the thread smirking and trolling and talking about "catch up" and "copying." You'd never see that on an Android site in a million years. Asshole.

I give up. My comments were all based on features, and I specifically said that EVERYONE copies. I had an iphone until 3 weeks back, which I loved as well. Im a gadget and tech head, have all sorts in my home, while I type this on a mac. I read multiple sites not to find and comment. In fact, I rarely comment. But you obviously dont read as many sites as I do. Next time I see an Android release(Ice Cream is coming out in a few months) and Apple fanboys on there, I will be sure to PM you and make you shut your mouth up. Go read the Samsung S2 releases on some android sites, and you will see what I am talking about. I read apple and Android and WM and WebOS articles on different sites(use a news aggregator, heard of it?). So, before you go on and start talking bullshit out of your ignoramus rear, read my arguments, for ALL sides, not just Android or Apple. I ALSO said that some users, like yourself, agree that notifications needed to be improved. I ALSO said that there ARE Apple fanbois who made comments about Android's notifications being good, but at the same time, I read a bunch of comments which said how Apple's notifications will eventually beat Android's and make it look like crap. So, dont pick and choose my comments. Learn how to read the whole thing, not between the lines to suit your view.

If you dont read enough, thats not my fault. Calling me asshole without doing enough research says a lot. Before calling someone else names, look at your own post. Read it, and re-read it. You are no different than the Android/Apple trolls.

You can now go suck Steve's since you dont believe a word I am saying.

Over, and out.
post #164 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

No, that's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you Apple created a new touchscreen UI for phones and other devices virtually from scratch and Google copied all of it. Inertial scrolling, swipe, pinch to zoom, the way touch-based UI widgets work, the on-screen keyboard, copy and paste, the way the browser works, many of the basic design elements of apps, and so on. Sure, there's a few things that are different. Some of them come from the fact that Android was originally going after the Blackberry and had a menu and icon based UI more suited to a track ball. Some stuff is original. But the bulk of it, as it has developed over the last 3 years, was directly copied from the iPhone.

So basically it was inspired by the iPhone not copied as you assert. And that's the point that Android users keep making.

I went from a Symbian device to Android. I honestly find Android closer to Symbian than to iOS. This is why it baffles me that iOS users claim that Android is ripping off iOS. If anything Symbian users have that claim! Many of the features you claim were unique to the iPhone (kinetic scrolling, touch based widgets, swipe, etc.) were in Symbian phones pre-iPhone. Apple did what they always do. They took this stuff, polished it off and marketed it as revolutionary. I applaud them for that. But no means does that mean that every OS that comes after the iPhone is a blatant rip-off of the iPhone.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the reason many iPhone users think the iPhone is so great and unique is because they have no conception of smarthphones before the iPhone. A whole whack original iPhone 2G/3G owners went from a Motorola RAZR to an iPhone. If I had a leap like that, I would think the smartphone I bought was magical too and I'd probably assert that these features are unique (because I would've never seen them before).

In places like Europe and Asia where smartphones are more common and dumbphones approach smartphone functionalities, people were far less likely to worship iOS. This is why sales for the iPhone didn't take off in those parts until the 3G/3GS in earnest (once Apple actually started adding functionality that people were used to on smartphones).

Now none of this is to say that the "copying" is bad. I just find it hypocritical that when Apple copies it counts as "inpiration" but Android (or any other OS) imitates a feature that it's copying that's lawsuit worthy. Good for Apple that Google doesn't believe in ridiculous patents. Just imagine if they had patented the notifcation blind or if Samsung had patented lockscreen notifications or if Swype had patented the split soft keyboard. I just hope this puts to bed the constant arguments about copying and brings people to an understanding that the best features will become part of the common understanding on how all touch UIs work.
post #165 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Seriously? You think Apple saw Microsoft present this feature for Windows 8 just recently, then really quickly copied it? Do you know how stupid that makes you look?

This concept has been around since the early 2000s. Here's an article in 2006 regarding an Apple patent with an example thumb keyboard and a UMPC design from MS.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/29/a...embles-a-umpc/

The patent is regarding figuring out what the target really is of the touch as opposed to keyboard layout but there's sufficient prior examples of split virtual keyboards from a lot earlier than Win8 from multiple sources.

Heres a better writeup:

http://www.macnews.com/content/apple...eyboard-patent
post #166 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Not just the notifications for the taskbar. Lockscreen notifications from Samsung Touchwiz. Split Keyboard from Windows. Camera quick start from Windows Phone. My apps function from Android Market. Android intents with iCloud. iMessage from BBM.

Lockscreen notifications isn't a Samsung innovation but appeared on dumb phones prior (mostly message and voice mail notifications). Probably Nokia, Sony or Moto.

I showed that split keyboard were around for a while.

Camera is also from dumbphones. Probably attributable to Nokia or Moto.

BBM is a specialized IM client for blackberries but not much new.

Meh, these are not in the same category of game changer that iOS was
post #167 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I give up. My comments were all based on features, and I specifically said that EVERYONE copies. I had an iphone until 3 weeks back, which I loved as well. Im a gadget and tech head, have all sorts in my home, while I type this on a mac. I read multiple sites not to find and comment. In fact, I rarely comment. But you obviously dont read as many sites as I do. Next time I see an Android release(Ice Cream is coming out in a few months) and Apple fanboys on there, I will be sure to PM you and make you shut your mouth up. Go read the Samsung S2 releases on some android sites, and you will see what I am talking about. I read apple and Android and WM and WebOS articles on different sites(use a news aggregator, heard of it?). So, before you go on and start talking bullshit out of your ignoramus rear, read my arguments, for ALL sides, not just Android or Apple. I ALSO said that some users, like yourself, agree that notifications needed to be improved. I ALSO said that there ARE Apple fanbois who made comments about Android's notifications being good, but at the same time, I read a bunch of comments which said how Apple's notifications will eventually beat Android's and make it look like crap. So, dont pick and choose my comments. Learn how to read the whole thing, not between the lines to suit your view.

If you dont read enough, thats not my fault. Calling me asshole without doing enough research says a lot. Before calling someone else names, look at your own post. Read it, and re-read it. You are no different than the Android/Apple trolls.

You can now go suck Steve's since you dont believe a word I am saying.

Over, and out.



Before the ipad what was out there ??
before the iphone what was out there ??

your last remark made you a classic <<< a hole >>>>

play nice


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #168 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Android people are the biggest douchebags on the internet, constantly on the lookout for any Apple news they can shit on. I guess iOS users are too busy enjoying their gear to bother to do the same-- although apparently they don't have to, since the average Android user is convinced that these fan boys are everywhere, just about to say something stupid.

lol - Android users have supplanted the Linux weenies. I didn't think that was going to be possible

Quote:
Really, look at this thread. Apple oriented site, Apple announces big update to iOS that addresses a lot of long standing complaints, and there are half a dozen assholes on the thread smirking and trolling and talking about "catch up" and "copying." You'd never see that on an Android site in a million years. Asshole.

For whatever reason, the mere existence of Apple seems to personally threaten a large number of people and they are compelled to act out. It's the 80's all over again...
post #169 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Apple was allowed to sue HTC

Allowed to sue?

Allowed by whom? And if there were allowed then who else was denied?
post #170 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He seemed fine to me.

Party pooper. It's far more fun to gossip about the worst possible scenario.
post #171 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

The turn-by-turn GPS would be missed. But it's a question of whether you are willing to spring for the full price nav apps on the App Store.

Or just download Waze for free and get as good or better directions that Google provides as well as more feature like notifications and traffic from other Waze users.

Quote:
As for voice control. No question that Google really beats out Apple on this one.

Apple never claimed they were showing us every new feature.

Quote:
For me, the one other thing I've always found annoying (and I don't know how iPhone users can stand it) is the constant need to pan around on a webpage because text doesn't reflow. This is on par with notification issue. But they didn't fix it.

I dunno - I found text reflow to be more annoying on a mobile browser than zooming/panning. Especially with the Retna display, there are very few pages I can't read comfortably with no issue when I have the phone horizontal.
post #172 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

The only major conflict was to who should set the standard. The Joes being more plentiful outright won that battle. The Joe is still dependent however on the geek to supply him/her with products and/or protect them from other geeks.

And I think that's why there is so much hostility from Apple haters - Apple isn't "playing ball" and is offering easy to use technology to those who aren't worthy.

It's what soured me on Linux after being initially enthusiastic - the absolute snobbery and elitism was just so over the top. That's why when iOS bested Linux for web browsing I had a good chuckle...
post #173 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

DocNo42, you seem to be a bit on the grumpy side this morning.

Just tired of the abject cynicism. I suppose I should know better, but Apple hit about every pain point for me and changed mobile.me back into a free offering and the @^#$ trolls that will never own an Apple product simply because it came from Apple and nothing else predictably come out of the proverbial woodwork and start their thread crapping.

I'm somewhat better now I will be hard to wait for iOS 5 to be released later this year...
post #174 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Just tired of the abject cynicism. I suppose I should know better, but Apple hit about every pain point for me and changed mobile.me back into a free offering and the @^#$ trolls that will never own an Apple product simply because it came from Apple and nothing else predictably come out of the proverbial woodwork and start their thread crapping.

I'm somewhat better now I will be hard to wait for iOS 5 to be released later this year...

Same here. Pretty excited about all the new goodies announced at WWDC, come to an Apple site to talk about it, and have to wade through about a 30% crap rate. Makes a man cranky.

I've adjusted my ignore list accordingly (never ending battle, that) but I still think it's a shame. Or tiresome. Or a tiresome shame. Oh well.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #175 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

lol - Android users have supplanted the Linux weenies. I didn't think that was going to be possible

Didn'tcha know...Android is Free just like Linux and of course is RUNNING Linux under the hood (under all that allegedly stolen Java tech...which is ALSO Free).

The annoying Fandroids are largely Linux weenies.
post #176 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Didn'tcha know...Android is Free just like Linux and of course is RUNNING Linux under the hood (under all that allegedly stolen Java tech...which is ALSO Free).

The annoying Fandroids are largely Linux weenies.

Welcome to a month ago....

http://zoknowsgaming.com/2011/05/05/...ge-throws-129/
post #177 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Just tired of the abject cynicism. I suppose I should know better, but Apple hit about every pain point for me and changed mobile.me back into a free offering and the @^#$ trolls that will never own an Apple product simply because it came from Apple and nothing else predictably come out of the proverbial woodwork and start their thread crapping.

I'm somewhat better now I will be hard to wait for iOS 5 to be released later this year...

Complete aside, please don't quintuple post. Just edit your existing one if no one has posted yet.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #178 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

And I think that's why there is so much hostility from Apple haters - Apple isn't "playing ball" and is offering easy to use technology to those who aren't worthy.

It's what soured me on Linux after being initially enthusiastic - the absolute snobbery and elitism was just so over the top. That's why when iOS bested Linux for web browsing I had a good chuckle...

No, we hate dependency. We could care less about a company increasing user accessibility, that would be like arguing that you should go learn to sodder wires if you want to fix your fan's electrical circuit instead of hiring the electric repair man.

I love Google, but I give them almost nothing because no company can be trusted with such information on an honesty basis, a phone # that's all they have.

What we DO care about is the learning curve. There HAS to be one. It doesn't have to be as hard as certain Linux distros, but if you simplify everything TOO much then the user becomes helpless to any problem that they were never expecting to encounter. What we want is self-sufficiency if even at the bare minimum of tasks.

If it becomes too simple minded of a task then we get situations that could easily be avoided. The little scareware incident with MACguard was the perfect example. You could visit loads of forums that would have told you to not install it, and to get rid of it to just uninstall it like an app. The average user was not taught this, so they freaked out, and hoped that someone would save them. They were helpless trying to get to every source of info as possible. We don't like THIS. If you need the difficulty to go down a notch then fine, but there has to be a point where we have to say, "it's simple enough, get up and learn or go do something else."
post #179 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Welcome to a month ago....

http://zoknowsgaming.com/2011/05/05/...ge-throws-129/

Welcome to a couple weeks ago:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...cision-on.html

And no, you don't get to whine that Florian is biased if you reference an article that is sourced from Groklaw.

This article is interesting too:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...es-mobile.html
post #180 of 212
If you want to get in on iOS5 and don't have or want a developer account, it can still be done.

http://gizmodo.com/5809621/how-to-up...urce=pulsenews
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #181 of 212
The last comment from Jexus is typical nonsense. The malware attack was on the mac, an OS where you can live in the command line if you want. The difficulty scales from unix command line to easy, and that's what annoys the not very brights who think that visiting forums makes them sone kind of genius. It doesn't.

The fact that a unix box can be operated by mom is what pisses them off.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #182 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The last comment from Jexus is typical nonsense. The malware attack was on the mac, an OS where you can live in the command line if you want. The difficulty scales from unix command line to easy, and that's what annoys the not very brights who think that visiting forums makes them sone kind of genius. It doesn't.

The fact that a unix box can be operated by mom is what pisses them off.

Most if not ALL OS's allow one to access the command line in some way. That is no excuse for 60-120,000 possible infections before being quelled.

How many people do you know that buy a mac specifically for the command line? Because I don't know any.
post #183 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

This article is interesting too:

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...es-mobile.html

That article speaks for itself, Google doesn't make money off of selling android, they make money off ads which are not exclusive to android. Oracle won't get that call.
post #184 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

No, we hate dependency.

Recommending linux is demanding dependence.

Quote:
What we DO care about is the learning curve. There HAS to be one. It doesn't have to be as hard as certain Linux distros, but if you simplify everything TOO much then the user becomes helpless to any problem that they were never expecting to encounter. What we want is self-sufficiency if even at the bare minimum of tasks.

It doesn't matter if the company is responsive to the user's needs.

Quote:
If it becomes too simple minded of a task then we get situations that could easily be avoided. The little scareware incident with MACguard was the perfect example. You could visit loads of forums that would have told you to not install it, and to get rid of it to just uninstall it like an app. The average user was not taught this, so they freaked out, and hoped that someone would save them.

They were helpless trying to get to every source of info as possible. We don't like THIS. If you need the difficulty to go down a notch then fine, but there has to be a point where we have to say, "it's simple enough, get up and learn or go do something else."

WTF? Googling for a solution is not solving the problem themselves? Do you expect everyone to decompile the trojan and hunt down any little pieces that could be hiding in the system?

Linux is nothing but a googlefest since even the simplest incarnation is an arcane mess.
post #185 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

That article speaks for itself, Google doesn't make money off of selling android, they make money off ads which are not exclusive to android. Oracle won't get that call.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not a lawyer not do I pretend to be a legal knowitall on the internet.
post #186 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Most if not ALL OS's allow one to access the command line in some way. That is no excuse for 60-120,000 possible infections before being quelled.

How many people do you know that buy a mac specifically for the command line? Because I don't know any.

WTF does the command line have to do with anything?

60-120K infections among an installed base of 58 million users? And the 60-120K number is completely pulled out of thin air by Ed Bott (zdnet) based on a source he can't name for guesstimates in percentage and call volume.

Ed Bott is an apple hater so all of what he wrote needs to be taken with a ton of salt.
post #187 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

WTF does the command line have to do with anything?

60-120K infections among an installed base of 58 million users? And the 60-120K number is completely pulled out of thin air by Ed Bott (zdnet) based on a source he can't name for guesstimates in percentage and call volume.

Ed Bott is an apple hater so all of what he wrote needs to be taken with a ton of salt.

Welcome to forums. We all have a bias, agenda, or some reason why everything we say should be taken with a grain of salt haha
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #188 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Before the ipad what was out there ??
before the iphone what was out there ??

your last remark made you a classic <<< a hole >>>>

play nice


9

Right, and the guy who is talking trash otherwise doesnt make anything. You are the same, you picked my last sentence and didnt read the validity of the rest. Typical.

"ugly yowl of the Android army as they belittle the site management for sucking Apple's dick for even mentioning the name and bellowing about the "fanboys" and what they'd probably be saying or thinking, if they were actually in evidence."

I got pissed, cause of what I read. Comprende? Before you tell me to play nice, make sure you see what others have said before, and ask them to play nice as well. Double standards, eh?

F' this shit. Ill just read articles like I usually do and get outta here. You guys can battle it out, not really worth discussing anything with someone who cant see anything except what they want to. Proves one thing though, Apple fanatics are just as nasty, maybe even more.

One thing I will definitely PM to both you and the others who responded: When the next major Android release is out, Ill show you how the Apple fanbois come out in DROVES on other websites I happen to read bellowing the same crapola attitude that i hate about Android folks.
post #189 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Before the ipad what was out there ??
before the iphone what was out there ??
9


And yes, by the way, I will say one more time. READ what I wrote. I like Apple, and own 2 MBPs at home. My wife carries an iphone. I like to read about everything, AND I said Apple always has interesting announcements. Nothing before the iphone and the ipad, agreed, revolutionary products. That does NOT change the facts of what happened in Ios5. My point is, dont preach from the choir when you do the same thing yourself, and that was to Apple, and to the gazillion defenders of Apple. And yes, Google copied Apple, and so did the rest of the world. That happens in any industry. So for Apple to stand on the high chair and sue companies,a s an example, for copying the lock mechanism(HTC), this is a pretty low point. And everyone copies, and go read the rest, I am tired of repetetion. Who it got copied from, I dont give a rats ass. The point is, they copied, and not one. but multiple features. It does not mean its a POS, still the most slick OS out there for everyone, just not for me. Understand now?

God, I feel like I am talking to f'ing selfish teenagers. Ugh.
post #190 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I give up. My comments were all based on features, and I specifically said that EVERYONE copies. I had an iphone until 3 weeks back, which I loved as well. Im a gadget and tech head, have all sorts in my home, while I type this on a mac. I read multiple sites not to find and comment. In fact, I rarely comment. But you obviously dont read as many sites as I do. Next time I see an Android release(Ice Cream is coming out in a few months) and Apple fanboys on there, I will be sure to PM you and make you shut your mouth up. Go read the Samsung S2 releases on some android sites, and you will see what I am talking about. I read apple and Android and WM and WebOS articles on different sites(use a news aggregator, heard of it?). So, before you go on and start talking bullshit out of your ignoramus rear, read my arguments, for ALL sides, not just Android or Apple. I ALSO said that some users, like yourself, agree that notifications needed to be improved. I ALSO said that there ARE Apple fanbois who made comments about Android's notifications being good, but at the same time, I read a bunch of comments which said how Apple's notifications will eventually beat Android's and make it look like crap. So, dont pick and choose my comments. Learn how to read the whole thing, not between the lines to suit your view.

If you dont read enough, thats not my fault. Calling me asshole without doing enough research says a lot. Before calling someone else names, look at your own post. Read it, and re-read it. You are no different than the Android/Apple trolls.

You can now go suck Steve's since you dont believe a word I am saying.

Over, and out.

Wow, somebody's wound up tight over ... opinions.
It's the Internet... not worth getting all huffy about!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #191 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

For the same reason Google Voice doesn't get native support.

Now that Microsoft owns Skype and the underlying technology, that's the last thing Apple should support natively in iOS 5.

If you need Skype (or GV), get the apps for it.


Sometimes it's not as much about not having control over the user experience as it is about who would control it...

The distinction is irrelevant to Apple. As for Microsoft owning Skype, it doesn't change anything. Apple frequently incorporates technology from other companies into its products. Support for Microsoft Exchange, for example, is built-in to iOS.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #192 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

And yes, Samsung copies Apple's outer design and gets sued. Now Apple copies BBM, TouchWiz, and Android.

The catch here is the question of whether Apple licensed these things from the folks that created it. Which they likely did. That is assuming that someone else created it. For all we know Apple created it, patented it, licensed it to those other folks and now is using it in their own tech.

Whereas, Samsung is being accused of copying a trademarked "look and feel" without asking anyone for permission.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Any reason why Apple is holding off until Fall for this iOS-5 release.

They are giving the 3rd party developers time to prep their apps. Apple doesn't like a ton of stuff that is still back in the IOS 3 and 4 days and they are pushing everyone to revamp. Which needs time.

And call me shocked. almost 200 messages and the "still no support for Flash" whining hasn't started. I think that might be a record.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #193 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Complete aside, please don't quintuple post. Just edit your existing one if no one has posted yet.

post #194 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

No, we hate dependency.

Fine. But what does that have to do with deriding new users, extolling them to read the man pages (if there ever was a deserving ring of purgatory...), trawl through forums and piece together the answer themselves because like, what are you STUPID or something?

I never understood that about the vast majority of the open source community. If you don't want to lead a newbie by the hand why can't you just ignore them? Why do you have to deride them or come up with web sites that point out how much more clever you are than them?

If that's your attitude what the hell are you doing trolling places where people are asking questions? If you think that website is funny, clearly you lack basic social skills and belong nowhere near "newbs".

Quote:
We could care less about a company increasing user accessibility

Ding Ding Ding! That's why OpenSource will never evolve beyond the realm of science fair project.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's not reasonable to get mad at people for not using your software (even if it is "clearly" superior ) or subscribing to your philosophy when you are basically holding them in utter contempt

Quote:
that would be like arguing that you should go learn to sodder wires if you want to fix your fan's electrical circuit instead of hiring the electric repair man.

How about just replacing the fan? With todays economics thats far more reasonable. Appliance/black box. It is our world, for better or worse. That's a more applicable analogy.

Quote:
I love Google, but I give them almost nothing because no company can be trusted with such information on an honesty basis, a phone # that's all they have.

So you have no bank accounts, health insurance or credit cards?

You did say "no company"

What about government? File taxes, have any vehicles registered, own any property?

How absurd do we have to be here?

Quote:
What we DO care about is the learning curve. There HAS to be one.

Why? Because only the "worthy" should be allowed to use technology?

What a bunch of elitist popycock. No wonder Apple gets under über geek skin so easily and thoroughly - how dare they open the hallowed halls to the commoners!

Quote:
It doesn't have to be as hard as certain Linux distros, but if you simplify everything TOO much then the user becomes helpless to any problem that they were never expecting to encounter.

Wow - if we were in the 1700's you probably would be arguing people shouldn't be able to ride horses without knowing how to shoe them.

Quote:
What we want is self-sufficiency if even at the bare minimum of tasks.

What you want is absurd. And (thank god) irrelevant.

Hey - change your own oil? Its ridiculously easy - users should be able to be self-sufficent at a bare minimum of tasks.

And this is rational to you? Sadly it must be because we go into the rabbit hole deeper:

Quote:
If it becomes too simple minded of a task then we get situations that could easily be avoided.

Yes! Like having the commoners fondling our technology. The horrors!

Quote:
The little scareware incident with MACguard was the perfect example. You could visit loads of forums that would have told you to not install it, and to get rid of it to just uninstall it like an app. The average user was not taught this, so they freaked out, and hoped that someone would save them. They were helpless trying to get to every source of info as possible. We don't like THIS.

Neither do non-technical users. Which is why within 5 years (maybe sooner now with iOS 5 not having PC dependancies) iOS devices will displace general purpose PC's for most normal users. iOS is inherently immune to the issue you cite. And even if something like a trojan gets through, unlike on general purpose OS's Apple (and google!) can - gasp - pull the offending program.

Wow - they can undo the "lusers" from shooting themselves in the foot. Like it or not, that's far more reasonable - some people are never going to learn "basic skills" you want. Not because they are stupid or lazy, but because they have different priorities.

Quote:
If you need the difficulty to go down a notch then fine, but there has to be a point where we have to say, "it's simple enough, get up and learn or go do something else."

Your hubris is staggering. Again, thank god there is at least ONE company that is willing to call your elitist BS for what it is, ignore it and go on making technology accessible.

Anyway, let me bottom line it for you: Whether you like it or not, iOS is the future for the majority of users. Your days of control and "wants" are over. You can continue to rant and rail about worthiness and minimum skills all you want, but it won't have one whits of affect. Feel free to carry on - just be prepared for continued and increasing disappointment when reality continues to diverge from your vision.
post #195 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

How many people do you know that buy a mac specifically for the command line? Because I don't know any.

All the security specialists I know. But since Mac OS X has a GUI it must not be a real OS with such training wheels, right?

Gawd, I'm back in the 80's all over again

Computer holy wars
post #196 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

To be fair, the opposite is also true -- there are people who mock anything that isn't made by apple, and will only own an apple product simply because it came from apple.

Far less than you and other proponents of this straw man like to intimate.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night!

Quote:
While this is to be expected at AI,

Yes! Who would expect Apple fans on an Apple site - the humanity!

Quote:
they exist on many other tech sites that I read and thread crap there as well.

No where to the extent of the haters. And if you want to dispute that - throw up some links.

Quote:
Fanboy-ism exists everywhere and it isn't something apple is immune to either.

Sure, there are fanboys everywhere. What gets me - and has since I first started using Mac's in the 80's is the Jexus's of the world who are obviously personally threatened by the mere existence of Apple. They act as if every time you purchase an Apple product God smotes a kitten, penguin and deletes a competing piece of technology from existence.

The insecurity of some people that others might prefer a model of computing that is contrary to their philosophy is simply staggering. That these same people will then try to portray Apple fans as religious zealots is hysterical and the very definition of ironic. That their totally blind to their hypocrisy, even after being openly ridiculed (with love and reason, mind you) is just sad.

Oh well...
post #197 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And call me shocked. almost 200 messages and the "still no support for Flash" whining hasn't started. I think that might be a record.

LOL - even the flashtards have given up, I think.

Finally.
post #198 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

LOL - even the flashtards have given up, I think.

Finally.

AGAIN, you're quintuple posting. Irony in that you wasted one on a single emoticon response to my first comment about it.

There's an edit button in the bottom right of your posts and a multi-quote button in the bottom right of everyone else's.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #199 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AGAIN, you're quintuple posting.

You mean responding individually? Your getting pedantic about posting style? Good luck with that...

And people thought grammar whores were bad?
post #200 of 212
I'm finally glad the PC Free idea is intact, I get get antsy having to hook up my iPhone 4 to my laptop for syncing purposes every time I have new data stored. Also, the Notification Center is a much welcome feature and is surely needed.

I'm pondering about enrolling in the developers iOS program, so I can get early access to the iOS 5 upgrade.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features