or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features

Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features - Page 6

post #201 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You mean responding individually? Your getting pedantic about posting style? Good luck with that...

And people thought grammar whores were bad?

The multi-quote button exists for that reason. I don't make the rules or the forum code; it's there for a reason.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #202 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianJNYC View Post

I'm finally glad the PC Free idea is intact, I get get antsy having to hook up my iPhone 4 to my laptop for syncing purposes every time I have new data stored. Also, the Notification Center is a much welcome feature and is surely needed.

I'm pondering about enrolling in the developers iOS program, so I can get early access to the iOS 5 upgrade.

Note Apple allow added two other features to the "PC free" option that make this work.
  • Even your music is now-redownloadable from their servers for all time. I bet that cost them a pretty penny to make that deal with the labels. This further positions the Mac/PC as just another device with iCloud being the hub.
  • Delta OS and app updates.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #203 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The multi-quote button exists for that reason. I don't make the rules or the forum code; it's there for a reason.

Multi quote is optional, it's just a convenience. Not everyone replies to those properly anyway, and it's easy to make your post cumbersome. Some single replies got large. I think the "Doc" was doing fine. It's kind of a judgement call.
post #204 of 212
Quote:

Don't think there is a rule that people must use multi-quote. Some people do, religiously and frequently. Others don't. I've been here for years and I think I've tried using multi quote only a couple of times. Makes replying a pain sometimes, anyways. Don't see the problem.

There are people here, too, who will rage about simple grammatical errors (of which there are plenty and most posters including myself have had their share)(your for you're, then for than it's for its, etc). These debates often detract from the discussion at hand. If it doesn't impede comprehension, why do we let it be, as we are all here for the communication?

Just noticed Jeff beat me to it.

---

Back on topic, this thread is abut iOS 5. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it. The camera functions will be nice. Just saw over at 9to5mac that there are custom vibrations in OS5, so you can set the phone to vibrate differently for different callers. Now you won't have to take it out of your pocket to know who's calling. Cool.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #205 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just saw over at 9to5mac that there are custom vibrations in OS5, so you can set the phone to vibrate differently for different callers. Now you won't have to take it out of your pocket to know who's calling. Cool.

Yes - I'm hoping Apple also has profile support so I can quickly switch between a few combinations of vibrations and audible alerts - it's the last thing missing that my work BlackBerry offers that I would miss. I'm amazed at all the little stuff Apple is addressing in this update - it adds up quickly!

It also proves that they are listening to their customers. This will be a stellar update indeed!
post #206 of 212
Quote:

If it bothers you that much, have at me with the ignore list. Otherwise don't hold your breath...
post #207 of 212
Back to iOS 5:

iOS 5 enables 1080p video to be synced to the iPad 2. What about the original iPad? What about outputting 1080p on the Apple TV under the 4.4 beta?

Quote:

If it bothers you that much, have at me with the ignore list.

Yes, that's the solution to everyone's problems; ignore all standpoints that don't jive with your own...

post #208 of 212
Quote:

iOS 5 enables 1080p video to be synced to the iPad 2. What about the original iPad?

I doubt the CPU in the original iPad can handle it.

Quote:
What about outputting 1080p on the Apple TV under the 4.4 beta?

Since 1080p files are so large, I doubt they are going to be in a hurry any time soon.

Quote:
Yes, that's the solution to everyone's problems; ignore all standpoints that don't jive with your own...

It's the only practical solution that's going to work in this situation. Part of real solutions are knowing what what you can control and what you can't and being realistic about it.
post #209 of 212
Quote:

I doubt the CPU in the original iPad can handle it.

I guess I don't understand the discrepancy in being able to convert 1080 to 720 on the fly and not being able to output 1080 outright...

Quote:
Since 1080p files are so large, I doubt they are going to be in a hurry any time soon.

4GB. Not too large. Apple TV could buffer two of them.

post #210 of 212
Quote:

I guess I don't understand the discrepancy in being able to convert 1080 to 720 on the fly and not being able to output 1080 outright...

Well I think it's safe to say it definitely doesn't have the oomph to transcode, and even if you did it I doubt it has the oomph to display it.

I've had trouble with 720p video when the codec's are too demanding....

Quote:
4GB. Not too large. Apple TV could buffer two of them.

Yes, but how do you get content to the computer feeding the AppleTV - that's what I was alluding to. It's not yet practical.
post #211 of 212
Quote:

Well I think it's safe to say it definitely doesn't have the oomph to transcode

It does that NOW. That's what I'm saying. I would think the transcoding takes more processing power than just taking it in and putting it out.

Quote:
Yes, but how do you get content to the computer feeding the AppleTV - that's what I was alluding to. It's not yet practical.

iTunes Store. Apple's 720p files are crap quality and 4GB already. They're way too big.

post #212 of 212
eWeekNews has a nice slide presentation showing how Apple is eating Android for lunch. . .
so far.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...istics-763758/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils iOS 5 with Notification Center, 1500 added APIs, 200 new user features