or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year

Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year

post #1 of 173
Apple's new iTunes Match service will scan a user's library of songs, including those ripped from their own CDs, and match the songs up with the library of 18 million songs available through iTunes for $24.99 per year.

When it launches this fall, iTunes Match will offer the same benefits to personally ripped CDs as is granted to music purchased through the iTunes Store. Apple's software will scan a user's hard drive to identify the music they have saved locally, and that content can then be re-downloaded to any device.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs boasted that the new service will take just minutes to match up songs with the cloud. He ribbed other, competing offerings from Google and Amazon, which take "weeks" to upload extensive music collections.

As was previously rumored, users will not need to upload songs, as their content will simply be matched up with the high-quality 256Kbps AAC audio files Apple has stored on its own iTunes servers. Anything that can be matched up is upgraded to the higher quality, without any digital rights management.

Any songs that don't match up with content available on iTunes will be uploaded and stored so that users can access them on the go.

Jobs said that iTunes Match is an "industry leading offer," with a flat price of $24.99 per year no matter how many songs users may have on their computer.

Shown in concert with the new service were photos of Apple's $1 billion data center in North Carolina. Jobs showed off the eco-friendly facility as evidence that Apple is "serious" about this new product.

"If you want all the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution," Apple's official promotional materials read. "It lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve ripped from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.

"Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality."
post #2 of 173
Looks good! Will this be free for those with almost a full year of MobileMe paid for?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #3 of 173
This is huge. But where is the STREAMING?
post #4 of 173
24.99 not a bad deal at all.
post #5 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Looks good! Will this be free for those with almost a full year of MobileMe paid for?

Mine just renewed too. I am hoping for about 4 years free.
post #6 of 173
Wait so lets say i have these rediculously old cds (most of which are not english) and are not in the iTunes Song DB, will they still be uploaded to the cloud or will itunes match only allow songs that it recognizes?
post #7 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by owpecke View Post

Wait so lets say i have these rediculously old cds (most of which are not english) and are not in the iTunes Song DB, will they still be uploaded to the cloud or will itunes match only allow songs that it recognizes?

It as got to be the latter, I imagine...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #8 of 173
Thanks for the confirm !
post #9 of 173
I saw the number 20,000 songs. Will there be a limit? I have 3 TB of music on a 4 TB drive. My next option is a drobo. At $25 a year this is great.

Now if I could get all by bootlegs it would be fantastic. Those count for about 2 TB of that music.
post #10 of 173
I hope this is a good matching program but I don't have high hopes, iTunes can't even match album art for most of my cd ripped music, even extremely popular songs and artists, such as most of the AC/DC songs. More than likely it won't be able to match very many at all.
post #11 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

I saw the number 20,000 songs. Will there be a limit? I have 3 TB of music on a 4 TB drive. My next option is a drobo. At $25 a year this is great.

Now if I could get all by bootlegs it would be fantastic. Those count for about 2 TB of that music.

No limit on them he was just comparing it to "other services" to show the value in it. If you're in the market for a Drobo let me know as we are an authorized reseller and I'll help you out.
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
ACTC Certified, ADC Member, & Owner of a ACN....
post #12 of 173
Its a shame they dont have higher quality than 256 kbps. Thats to low quality if you have a serious hifi system...
post #13 of 173
isn't this also a way to make all the pirated music people have downloaded, become legit?
say i've downloaded a pirated CD
once i do itunes match, this ripped music becomes legit and i can access it on any device
post #14 of 173
He said it would upload what it didn't recognise.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #15 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

Where'd you get a 4TB drive? Is it just two 2TB drives in a case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

isn't this also a way to make all the pirated music people have downloaded, become legit?
once i do itunes match, this ripped music becomes legit and i can access it on any device

It doesn't "become legit", but you get to pay $25 a year for the rest of eternity for access to it. So there's the money from piracy the music industry wants.

Or you could buy the album for less than a $25 one-time purchase and have it for free anywhere. Many pirates will go legit and the ones that won't will still be paying.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #16 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is huge. But where is the STREAMING?

Who said anything about streaming? You can't believe everything you read on rumor sites.
post #17 of 173
I think the biggest question mark is ... will it allow for STREAMING to iOS devices?
post #18 of 173
I don't think they mentioned "streaming." It looks like it is just a wireless sync feature. That's a really big difference as you'll still have to download and store the music on whatever device that you want to use for playback.

Actually, other than the new iTunes match service for $25 all this adds for music is wireless sync, not really that much different than attaching your iOS device over USB to iTunes, other than the fact that USB will be much faster.
post #19 of 173
"Any songs that don't match up with content available on iTunes will be uploaded and stored so that users can access them on the go."

This... is awesome...
post #20 of 173
So, seperate from matching your exisiting music catalog, does this service allow you to stream music ala Napster, or Rhapsody?
post #21 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LaCie 4big Quadra

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10313
post #22 of 173
I so don't understand this iTunes Match thing.

So, I ripped a CD and imported the music to iTunes and of course synched it to all my iDevices. So iTunes Match allows me to do what exactly? Re-download it to all my iDevices? I guess if I ripped it at 128 or something, I'd get a higher bit rate. Is that the real benefit?
post #23 of 173
I get that I can play my music on any device with this service. But I have a little trouble swallowing that I have to pay $24.99 a year to listen to music I've already purchased. Also, I also have a lot of music that is not on the iTunes store (I'm a musician...I've got everything from pop, to drum and bugle corps). I guess that's where the local storage comes in?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #24 of 173
So presumably, it was unnecessary for me to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my previous iTunes purchases over the past 2 years. Now, for 25 bucks a year, I can upload any 128 kbps iTunes store purchase, and if it's matched, re-download it at 256 kbps.

If I want to take the MP3s I downloaded off of Lala or Amazon or eMusic and upgrade them to iTunes M4A, will it accept them?
post #25 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz88 View Post

Its a shame they dont have higher quality than 256 kbps. Thats to low quality if you have a serious hifi system...

If you've got a serious hi-fi system you'll not play from the cloud on that. All my music is ripped to AIFF and I stream that through a DAC direct from my iMac. iCloud will be my on-the-go source.
post #26 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by owpecke View Post

Thanks for the confirm !

Premature thanks, I think. The system matches to find songs it has (and therefore does not need to upload), and uploads songs for which it has no match.
post #27 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

So, I ripped a CD and imported the music to iTunes and of course synched it to all my iDevices. So iTunes Match allows me to do what exactly? Re-download it to all my iDevices? I guess if I ripped it at 128 or something, I'd get a higher bit rate. Is that the real benefit?

They're trying to get rid of that syncing completely. You'd never have to sync your music again. That said, I don't think it's for me. I have too many songs that are not in the store. In fact, I really don't use my phone for music very often. If I do, it's usually through Pandora.
post #28 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

I hope this is a good matching program but I don't have high hopes, iTunes can't even match album art for most of my cd ripped music, even extremely popular songs and artists, such as most of the AC/DC songs. More than likely it won't be able to match very many at all.

Anything where iTunes was able to automatically fill in the song titles during ripping should be fine.
post #29 of 173
Quote:

It doesn't "become legit", but you get to pay $25 a year for the rest of eternity for access to it. So there's the money from piracy the music industry wants.

Or you could buy the album for less than a $25 one-time purchase and have it for free anywhere. Many pirates will go legit and the ones that won't will still be paying.

Ya, but how many people who pirate music only have 1 album?
post #30 of 173
great news, although I would have liked a local time capsule type server too.
post #31 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Premature thanks, I think. The system matches to find songs it has (and therefore does not need to upload), and uploads songs for which it has no match.

Yeah, I was wrong. Still, I like to be wrong when the better solution it right...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #32 of 173
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Here there is all the info
post #33 of 173
Zero value for me I'm afraid.

I use smart playlists, so I always have my favorite music with me and am constantly rediscovering old music too, better than ever.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #34 of 173
Quote:

Who says it was legal to download that CD? You because somebody offers you to stream media files you provided, does not indemnify you from any prior misdemeanours. If you steel a physical good and then send it via a legit courrier to somebody eles, does this make the recipient the legal owner of that good?
post #35 of 173
Quote:

Or you can match it, download it and copy it, it has become "legit"
post #36 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

If you "of course" sync to all your devices, back up everything, have infinite storage, and never lose anything, you do not need this. But you knew that.
post #37 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPu View Post

So presumably, it was unnecessary for me to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my previous iTunes purchases over the past 2 years. Now, for 25 bucks a year, I can upload any 128 kbps iTunes store purchase, and if it's matched, re-download it at 256 kbps.

If I want to take the MP3s I downloaded off of Lala or Amazon or eMusic and upgrade them to iTunes M4A, will it accept them?

It kind of looks like there is very little benefit for people who have been legally obtaining their music either from purchased CDs or from the iTunes Store. However, it does allow people who have pirated music to get potentially higher quality copies direct from the iTunes Store for just the $25 annual fee.

One question might be, what happens when you stop paying the fee? I can't see how they could prevent you from continuing to use those files since they don't have any DRM. I guess you just lose the ability to wirelessly sync those files to new devices.
post #38 of 173
Quote:

Yes that's exactly right (even though they won't come right out and say it). Clemency day has arrived. Unless you have music Apple can't match up (like I do), in which case you can only wonder what the hell the RIAA has been complaining about.
post #39 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup View Post

Actually, other than the new iTunes match service for $25 all this adds for music is wireless sync, not really that much different than attaching your iOS device over USB to iTunes, other than the fact that USB will be much faster.

And off-site backup for your files. How much would it cost you to pay Mozy, Backblaze, Carbonite to backup your media files?
post #40 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post

So, seperate from matching your exisiting music catalog, does this service allow you to stream music ala Napster, or Rhapsody?

No it doesn't. You still have to physically have storage space available on the playback device to store complete copies of all the music that's going to be pushed to it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple announces iTunes Match music service for $24.99 per year