or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store

First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store

post #1 of 94
Just moments after Apple announced its new iCloud service, the company's iOS App Store and iTunes Store were dynamically updated with a new "Purchased" tab for re-downloading software and content, and iTunes 10.3 was released for Mac and PC.

Updated: Apple's iTunes 10.3 download link is now working.

The iTunes 10.3 beta can now be downloaded direct from Apple. Content purchased can now be re-downloaded on any device -- including Mac, PC and iOS -- at no cost.

The new iTunes also includes the iBookstore for Mac and PC, allowing for "an unabridged browsing and shopping experience."

Users can also find "Purchased" software in the iOS App Store by selecting the "Updates" tab. From there, in addition to available updates, the "Purchased" section can also be viewed.

The new feature offers a thorough list of all software that has been purchased on the authorized Apple ID signed in on the iOS device. A convenient "Not On this iPhone" tab also allows users to only view applications that are owned, but not currently installed.

Similarly, purchased songs can also be viewed in the iOS iTunes Store application. Content that has been purchased from the iTunes Store can be sorted by artist name, in a list of recent purchases, or a complete list of songs.

All content is presented with a cloud icon, connecting the new functionality with the just-announced iCloud service. While Monday's quick updates offer a taste of iCloud, the full service -- including wireless syncing of content and data -- will roll out with the launch of iOS 5 this fall.

The functionality of "iTunes in the Cloud" can also be extended to music ripped from a personal CD collection with Apple's newly announced iTunes Match, available for $24.99 per year. The new service will match up a user's personal library of songs with the 18 million high-quality tracks available on the iTunes Store, and that content can also be re-downloaded to multiple devices, like an iPhone or iPad.
post #2 of 94
I great new feature but I'm sure I am not the only one who's download a ton of sh*t over the past few years, and now it's all come back to haunt me in the Purchased view.
post #3 of 94
The link to 10.3 still takes me to 10.2.2.

Anyone else having success?
post #4 of 94
Note: The actual file is still 10.2.2.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #5 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent_bystander View Post

The link to 10.3 still takes me to 10.2.2.

Anyone else having success?

It will not work outside US.

Mortena
post #6 of 94
Same, still 10.2.2
post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortena View Post

It will not work outside US.

Mortena

I am in new york and it still takes me to 10.22
post #8 of 94
I am disappoint.

Highly unlike Apple to have incorrect link like this. AppleInsider also apparently didn't do any verification.
post #9 of 94
Should have a way to permanently delete "purchased apps" from the iCloud. A bunch of stupid shite that just needs to go away and clutters my view. I deleted it for a reason.
post #10 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

Highly unlike Apple to have incorrect link like this.

This happens in multiple places on Apple's various sites after every single keynote.

Quote:
AppleInsider also apparently didn't do any verification.

Except the link does work in places.

post #11 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This happens in multiple places on Apple's various sites after every single keynote.

Can you point to a correct link for 10.3? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Nanneman View Post

Can you point to a correct link for 10.3? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

It's the same link that every site says it's on and the link you get when you click the button to download iTunes from Apple.

The file just hasn't been pushed everywhere yet.

If you're downloading 10.2.2, just wait a few hours to a day until it switches over.

post #13 of 94
Pretty coolall my iOS devices just chimed at once to tell me of the new setting. I switched it On (for books and music, at least) and read few iBooks pages on my iPhone. Walked over to my iPad, opened the same book, and it was sitting on the correct page (Despite the fact that iPad and iPhone pages hold different amounts of text.)
post #14 of 94
Still only 10.2.2 here in NYC, too.
post #15 of 94
The stores on my iphone have changed but not the itunes link on my pc.
post #16 of 94
My iPad is showing the update in the App Store, but my Verizon iPhone doesn't show any iCloud feature as pictured above at all. Hmm. My iPad also made me agree to new T&C - no update on iPhone.

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

post #17 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

I great new feature but I'm sure I am not the only one who's download a ton of sh*t over the past few years, and now it's all come back to haunt me in the Purchased view.

Like, that "how to cheat and not get caught" app? Um, you're so screwed.
post #18 of 94
Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Should have a way to permanently delete "purchased apps" from the iCloud. A bunch of stupid shite that just needs to go away and clutters my view. I deleted it for a reason.

OMG, never noticed how many stupid apps my wife had downloaded until now. Well, I guess we wait for the next update, however, it is pretty cool none the less.

DJ
post #20 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

Any word on whether Apple will allow you to consolidate Apple IDs? I have like 5 that I've used over the past few years. Many are one's that I could no longer use due to losing a domain or a mobile me user name that I lost after discontinuing service.

What about two people sharing an Apple ID? Can they operate separately in iCloud?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a good look. They are already failing.
post #22 of 94
Anyone know the direct link? On Lion — in the US — the 10.3 button links to 10.2.2.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsjm View Post

What I hear:

"I've been really careless and messy over the last few years. I haven't paid attention to any of the agreements I signed and didn't back up anything. Even though it's entirely my fault I'm upset that I might miss out on something due to my actions. I think Apple should fix this for me."
post #24 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What I hear:

"I've been really careless and messy over the last few years. I haven't paid attention to any of the agreements I signed and didn't back up anything. Even though it's entirely my fault I'm upset that I might miss out on something due to my actions. I think Apple should fix this for me."

Peabody - he didn't say any of what you heard. He's just asking a question.

Biggsjm - I think there's something in the FAQ for Apple IDs that says you cannot consolidate them at this time. In my opinion today's announcements raise lots of questions about what is tied to an Apple ID. It can't be uncommon for multiple household members to share an Apple ID.
post #25 of 94
OMG works on my iPhone! It just updated it over the air. HOT!!!
post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am in new york and it still takes me to 10.22

Same here.
post #27 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

What about two people sharing an Apple ID? Can they operate separately in iCloud?

No. Apple uses the other meaning of "sharing."

When you are "sharing" your AppleID, you are just letting someone else have access to your stuff.

You are not both "sharing" the same ID (the normal sense of "sharing").

I think a lot of folks will be bitten in the bum by this with the new setup. Apple says your "sharing" the account, but the word isn't really being used in the sense most people think it is.
post #28 of 94
Quote:

When you are "sharing" your AppleID, you are just letting someone else have access to your stuff.

I think a lot of folks will be bitten in the bum by this with the new setup. Apple says your "sharing" the account, but the word isn't really being used in the sense most people think it is.

What about family members? Or do you actually think that people living in the same house should pay for multiple copies of the same content?

They definitely need to make it easy for this service to handle multiple users/multiple accounts.
post #29 of 94
Quote:

What I hear:

Looks like someone needs to get their ears/eyes checked out. Apple's agreements don't state you can only have one AppleID, and backing up has nothing to do with AppleIDs. I have two also, and I enquired once about having them merged, but they couldn't do it. It never really mattered back then, but I'm not sure how it'd work with iCloud... You can authorise an iDevice to work with multiple AppleIDs at the moment, it'll play DRM music from either AppleID. But with iCloud and a device with multiple accounts, would you have to chose what account to sync with?
post #30 of 94
Quote:

I agree if it works the way I think it does a lot of people will be bitten. If everything is tied to a single Apple ID it will create an un-Appley mess that will make much of iCloud useless to many users.

Unless you get multiple iCloud ids under an Apple ID - which doesn't sound Apple-y either.
post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

... You can authorise an iDevice to work with multiple AppleIDs at the moment, ....

I didn't know you could do that.

I have a lot of questions about Apple IDs - we've always shared one in my house because so far there's been one iPhone and no Mobile Me. Admittedly I haven't paid attention to what the ins and outs are.
post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I didn't know you could do that.

Yup, just play a song purchased by each different account in iTunes, and it'll ask you for a password each time. After you authorise, it'll happily sync to iDevices.
post #33 of 94
I can see this on my iPad, but not on my Verizon iPhone. Must be exclusive to 4.3? Which reminds me, why doesn't the Verizon iPhone have 4.3 yet?
post #34 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

What about family members? Or do you actually think that people living in the same house should pay for multiple copies of the same content?

They definitely need to make it easy for this service to handle multiple users/multiple accounts.

Agree completely. I had an in depth conversation with an APple Store employee in Chicago a week ago about this. We use one iTunes apple account in our household. Between 2 iPads, 3 iphones, and 4 iPod Touches, we all use one apple ID for purchasing apps and music. I don't want to give my kids my Apple ID password for obvious reasons. Apple does have the mobileme family plan which we have and I'm curious to see what happens with the iCloud announcement.

I wish apple would come up with sub accounts for use in iTunes so that I my kids could each have their own ID and pw and I could put so much of a credit on their account. That way they don't go overboard, but we can all share our purchases.
post #35 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

It needs a... Right swipe > Permanently Delete? > YES.
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsblair View Post

Agree completely. I had an in depth conversation with an APple Store employee in Chicago a week ago about this. We use one iTunes apple account in our household. Between 2 iPads, 3 iphones, and 4 iPod Touches, we all use one apple ID for purchasing apps and music. I don't want to give my kids my Apple ID password for obvious reasons. Apple does have the mobileme family plan which we have and I'm curious to see what happens with the iCloud announcement.

I wish apple would come up with sub accounts for use in iTunes so that I my kids could each have their own ID and pw and I could put so much of a credit on their account. That way they don't go overboard, but we can all share our purchases.

That's an interesting point.
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Like, that "how to cheat and not get caught" app? Um, you're so screwed.

Stop being a dick, he's talking about seeing the total amount of cash he's spent at iTunes over the years.
post #38 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

I can see this on my iPad, but not on my Verizon iPhone. Must be exclusive to 4.3? Which reminds me, why doesn't the Verizon iPhone have 4.3 yet?

Seems that way. I wish 4.3 would get pushed to Verizon soon...

post #39 of 94
Yes, I selected the Download link that you are taken to when you click on the "Purchased [NEW]" button in iTunes and it is needlessly downloading v10.2.2 even though that is the version I am currently using.
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbjohnson View Post

The apple website says available now to iOS 4.3 which we don't have as Verizon customers. I sure hope they come out with an update soon.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First taste of Apple's iCloud available with iTunes 10.3, iOS App Store