or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2011 keynote video stream now available

Apple's WWDC 2011 keynote video stream now available

post #1 of 53
Monday's keynote event at the 2011 Worldwide Developers Conference, including the unveiling of iOS 5 and iCloud and a closer look at Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, is now available online.

The entire 118-minute presentation can be streamed from Apple's site. The keynote was kicked off by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, and includes other members of the company's executive team, including senior vice president for Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller, and Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iOS Software.

The company announced that Lion, its next Mac operating system, will be available on the Mac App Store in July for just $29.99. It also offered the first look at iOS 5, which will come to the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch this fall with a new Notification Center and wireless system updates.

Apple also took the wraps off of iCloud, its free service that will automatically sync data, including photos and documents, between Macs, PCs and iOS devices. Some components of iCloud, including re-downloading of iTunes songs and a list of purchased App Store software, are already available.

Jobs's trademark "one more thing" at Monday's event was the new iTunes Match service, which will launch this fall. For $24.99 per year, it will scan a user's library of songs, including those ripped from their own CDs, and match them up to the library of 18 million songs in the iTunes Store. Users can then re-download those songs on any device.

Monday's keynote kicks off this week's conference, which will run through Friday, June 10. Apple will host more than 100 technical sessions designed to help developers make applications for iOS 5 and Lion, including integration with new iCloud-specific features.
post #2 of 53
Watching it now - Lion is pretty awesome too.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #3 of 53
"Revert to Last Opened" - I think "Revert to Last Manual Save" would be better.
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Terribly bad presentation.

They go over every little feature that's already been explained and demonstrated for months now. Here's swiping. Here's launch pad. Yada yada. And with no way to skip ahead, I just had to turn it off.

And poor Steve Jobs looks like a walking skeleton.

Can some one rid us of this troll?
post #5 of 53
Quote:

It's a flop, my friend. Plain and simple.

Can someone rid of of this troll?
post #6 of 53
Quote:

Don't worry.

Pile this dud of a release on top of Apple's support of Foxconn and their inhumane treatment of their employees, Apple's poor handling of private user data, their overpriced dev program, their poorly organized online stores filled with junk software, and there's and good chance I'm leaving on my own.

I have here the world's smallest violin for when you leave.
post #7 of 53
Quote:

And I have hip boots on for all the fan boys running around trying to spin this flop as the next great thing. Cause it's gonna get deep.

You do realise that when this "flop" inevitably becomes successful you're going to look even more of a dick than you already do?
post #8 of 53
I just finished watching it and I'm going to give my 2 cents. I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a delusional tin foil hat wearing person, so I wasn't really expecting any exciting hardware announcements or anything crazy to happen, besides what had already been announced beforehand.

All of the three things that were shown off seemed pretty good. Lion seems good, and I bet a lot of people were happy when they heard the dirt cheap price for it. iOS 5 seems to be a big improvement and the wireless sync features and wireless iOS downloads will no doubt come in handy for many people. And last but not least, iCloud also seems pretty interesting. Apple spent a shitload of money on those data centers. I don't think that many people predicted that the mobileme service which cost $99 a year before would now become iCloud and become totally free while being greatly expanded and improved upon. Who can complain about that? The iTunes match service seems nice too, at least for those people who do have a lot of songs which were not purchased through iTunes.

Anybody who thinks that this keynote was a disappointment needs to get their head checked out. Apple could have just as easily ended up charging $129 for Lion and $100 for iCloud. All Apple users basically got a lot of added features and extra storage space for free today.
post #9 of 53
Quote:

Don't worry.

Pile this dud of a release on top of Apple's support of Foxconn and their inhumane treatment of their employees, Apple's poor handling of private user data, their overpriced dev program, their poorly organized online stores filled with junk software, and there's and good chance I'm leaving on my own.

FoxConn is used by MANY other manufacturers.

Apple is the one company that has been pushing them to improve relations and treatment of their workers.

Now, inhumane treatment of Apple Store employees, maybe.

Apple store COULD be more organized -- but how? It's kind of Developer-driven in that they define their application.

"Junk software" -- well, sure, somewhat, but Apple is the only company actively trying to trim the fat and reduce "redundant junk" and keep best of class apps -- because they have so many. compare this to WHAT other company? Android apps have to be researched to know where to get them, and if they run on your particular model/provider and THEN the equivalent apps, if they come from the iPhone, are usually limited in features from the Mac version.

>> If you think the Keynote was a dud -- well, thanks for your opinion.

Personally, though I've been following some of these features -- the iCloud services blew me away in that, up until now, I really didn't want to bother. But the seamless syncing, and the access to your media content -- awesome if it works! The calendar and mail improvements -- great.

I HAVE seen these "features listed" before, but the actual way you interact with them -- really well done in the details.

>> The messaging service on the iPhone -- that is HUGE for people using a phone. Apple's messaging stunk, to be honest, and the others "stunk less." But this new way of handling things makes it best in class.

>> I also really, really like the ability to split the keyboard -- sure, small detail, but that's why we like Apple. WE use this crap.

.... so, I don't know why YOU are wasting your time, dude. Really, it's not the biggest deal on the planet -- so why don't you spend your time with something you care about.
post #10 of 53
Quote:

post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

You do realise that when this "flop" inevitably becomes successful you're going to look even more of a dick than you already do?

No.

Like so many other people who blog "noise" into the internet each day -- they move on to the next thing to poop on. Like Sea Gulls. They never revisit their own history and prognostications, nor do they every learn. They just keep on squawking -- enjoying the sound of their own noise over the din of other's of their species; all pooping, squawking and flying on to visit others with their gifts.

I don't think this is trolling, because there is no pleasure gained by the response, merely in the excretions.
post #12 of 53
Quote:

You are a flop, my friend.
post #13 of 53
Well the angry anti-Apple trolls are running around hatin, which means the keynote was awesome.

Dey be hatin, we be rolin'
post #14 of 53
Quote:

And I have hip boots on for all the fan boys running around trying to spin this flop as the next great thing. Cause it's gonna get deep.

WEll my ex-rugby playing body is a bit bettered these days but I still reckon I could take all 5'2'' of you, well all 5'2'' in hip- boots. Whatever a hip boot is. Something a bit hick, Im guessing.
post #15 of 53
Quote:

Tekstud, you've worn out your barely tolerable presence here. Would you do everyone a favor and throw yourself under a bus already?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 53
He has got a point on one issue though. No way of controlling the video? My screen saver kicked and the video went all jerky. I refreshed the page expecting to be able to skip to where I was again. If this is the future of HTML 5 video I don't like it any more lol
post #17 of 53
That was a very feature filled presentation. So much stuff. Steve looked a little tired in the beginning but his energy seemed to come back in the iCloud part. I think iCloud is going to seem very futuristic when I first start using it.
post #18 of 53
Quote:

Don't worry.
...and there's and good chance I'm leaving on my own.

Well hurry up and get moving before hell freeze's over!!!
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post

He has got a point on one issue though. No way of controlling the video? My screen saver kicked and the video went all jerky. I refreshed the page expecting to be able to skip to where I was again. If this is the future of HTML 5 video I don't like it any more lol

Hey! I also had the same issue. Thank God, I remembered about this little neat application, Caffeine. Downloaded it from Mac App Store while still viewing the keynote, and then activated. Problem gone!!
post #20 of 53
At 68 minutes in, we see the iPhone screen and in the lower right corner, instead of the traditional iPod icon, it looks like a new icon of a song note on a redish-yellow background and instead of the name "iPod" it now says "Music."

Edit: Ah, it's the icon from the iPod touch. Got it.
post #21 of 53
You've got to admit, though, Steve doesn't look very good. Maybe a bit thinner than last keynote, maybe the same. Certainly not heavier. This time his voice sounded weaker to me. I felt concerned as soon as he began speaking.....hopefully it's just a cold....
post #22 of 53
Quote:

Terribly bad presentation.

They go over every little feature that's already been explained and demonstrated for months now. Here's swiping. Here's launch pad. Yada yada. And with no way to skip ahead, I just had to turn it off.

And poor Steve Jobs looks like a walking skeleton.

Can't skip ahead?? If you drag that little button at the bottom, you'll be amazed at what it can do. \ I watched the parts I wanted in about 30 minutes.

Apple haters are an unique bunch of people. They spend so much time on Apple pro sites trying to educate us about how inferior our products are. How a $400 POS netbook is just as good. It does make for good entertainment.
post #23 of 53
Troll gone. For now, anyway.
post #24 of 53
How long to wait before the download of the keynote is made available at Apple's site?
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

How long to wait before the download of the keynote is made available at Apple's site?

It has been up

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...iqubf06/event/
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

It has been up

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...iqubf06/event/

That's the STREAMING video. Secruoser was asking about a DOWNLOAD. Not the same thing. I want a download, too, as my antique iMac G4 can't keep up with the video. Apple used to have lower-resolution videos for streaming with the QuickTime Player or download through iTunes.
post #27 of 53
Steve Job's voice sounds weak.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

Try this url:

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/j...06_650_ref.mov

It's streaming, but seems to be lower resolution/data rate than the one on the Apple site. It might show up later in the "Apple Keynotes" podcast on the iTunes Store.
post #29 of 53
I look forward to seeing this when it's pushed as an iTunes Podcast like their other keynotes. As of 9:30pm Pacific time, it hasn't been posted. My internet connection simply can't handle streaming video. I look forward to seeing this keynote, and to moving to a house where I can actually get a high speed internet connection!
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quitting the app provides the same function, for all practical purposes.
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

Can someone rid of of this troll?

We're stuck. His mom locked him out of the basement. Again.
post #32 of 53
Its not on the iTunes Podcast for keynotes yet? :S
post #33 of 53
Geeezus... Steve looks horribly emaciated. He's even walking a bit funny. Steve, may the blessings of the Goddess Divine carry you to where *you* need or want to be, healthier in this world, or easing your suffering if not. You have brought so much to us for decades, particularly the most recent one.

Peace and Love Always,
nvidia2008
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Steve Job's voice sounds weak.

Wow. He's literally struggling with each word. Not good. Not good at all. And I'm only two minutes into the stream.

"The hardware is the brain... The software is the soul" This is pretty mystical stuff, even for Steve.

Oh Gawd. Phil comes up... "Energy in the room... C'mon" Shades of Ballmer already starting to appear.

This will be the most painful Keynote I have ever watched. Edit: Okay at least Scott is up now.

LOL Notification Center. Great, but basically an almost exact copy of LockInfo on jailbreaked phones even down to the swiping down from the status bar.

But well done with Notifications, Apple. (Not being sarcastic here)

Scott looks a bit overworked, or simply hard-at-work, but presents in a smooth and natural way.

Finally a Boom! moment... GeoFence in Reminders. I guess Scott hates the OSX iCal and iOS Calendar apps too so he made an entirely new app!! Ha Ha

Post PC. It's here. Bye bye Mac, it was nice knowing ya. Bye bye Windows, Xbox360 will serve my needs. Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But iOS 5 untethered is absolutely critical to the evolution of iOS.

Listening to customers. Apple doesn't do everything people want, but they focus on the most important things people want... at least for iOS.

Lion was pretty fluffy, at least the iOS part is like Mmmm... 'Dat Ass.....

iMessage... Bye bye Blackberry. Game over. Bye bye telco SMS charges (I suppose they'll try and get you back on the data charges). Again, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this is big.

Steve's back on. I still think he's almost the thinnest since the time when he was the most ill (as we saw him in public).

But... iCloud free, backing up all your Camera Roll... That's potentially 32GB of data per person... Or in practice at least a few GB. For people that never sync with a computer, their Camera Roll is their "Photos". Throw in HD video... Boy Apple went for broke this time. OK hang on there's the 30 day thing.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Can some one rid us of this troll?

So he's banned?
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Troll gone. For now, anyway.

Look like he's gone. Well, at least we tried to tolerate him.
post #37 of 53
FINALLY Being able to CREATE PHOTO ALBUMS ON iPAD. That is like my number one customer request when I gave "Intro to iPad" classes. Before, my answer was, "Er... You gotta buy a Mac and use iPhoto, sync from iPad to iPhoto, create album and organise in iPhoto, then sync back to iPad". I literally have a mental image of every single blank stare I got back each time I said that.

Whether you can manage albums on an iPad remains to be seen, or if you can only do it when pulling it out of Photo Stream.
post #38 of 53
For people getting all shocked by Steve's condition:

Watch the whole thing. He seems a bit off for the first, short bit, but pretty much his usual self for the longer iCloud intro at the end. He doesn't look any thinner than he has for the last few public appearances.

Clearly, he's been battling health issues and is not as robust as he used to be. But it seems like every time he does something in public there's the exact same chorus of "OMG, he's at deaths door!" posts. It looks to me like he's holding his own. If he couldn't do a reasonable job he wouldn't be up there on the stage.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Quitting the app provides the same function, for all practical purposes.

No, that's not what was in the presentation. Quitting the app doesn't lose any changes because autosave is constantly saving those changes. They made that point very specifically in one of the demonstrations by showing first, no bugging about saving changes, and secondly, reopening the app and showing all the changes are still there and your doc and app ready to continue, as if you had never closed the app.
post #40 of 53
Where's the downloadable podcast? Apple seems to be taking their fricken time! Get a move on jaysss!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's WWDC 2011 keynote video stream now available