or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Safari 5.1 to deliver new process architecture and extension support

Apple's Safari 5.1 to deliver new process architecture and extension support

post #1 of 35
Apple on Monday released a developer preview of Safari 5.1, its next-generation browser for Mac OS X that will provide developers with a full-screen API, more powerful extension support, enhanced CSS3 support, and several other enhancements.

The 45.3MB private beta, labeled Safari 5.1 Developer Preview, will deliver improved graphics performance on Windows, media caching for audio and video data for web apps using the HTML5 application cache, and a new process architecture that separates the browser's rendering process from its application process, making Safari more responsive and stable.

Along these same lines, Safari 5.1 (on Snow Leopard and Lion) will run plug-ins within their own process, which should improve both security and stability.

For developers, the upcoming release introduces support for full-screen web content and support for keyboard behavior control by introducing several new methods to the Element and Document classes, according to people familiar with the software.

The forthcoming release will also offer developers new ways to customize and interact with Safari through Safari Extensions. For instance, developers will be able to receive event notifications when a user opens a window or tab, or when a window or tab has gone inactive.

Similarly, developers will gain access to a feature called Extension Menus, which will allow them to deliver interactive and customizable menus from within the Safari interface, as well as access to throw users into and out of the browser's Reader feature.

Another Extensions API called Extensions Popover should also allow developers to present users with large chunks of customized content that won't interfere with existing web content loaded in a tab or browser window.

Additionally, Safari 5.1 will roll out support for Web Open Font Format (WOFF), Mathematical Markup Language (MathML), CSS3 Auto-hyphenation, CSS3 Text Emphasis, CSS3 Vertical Text, and CSS3 Transitions and Animations.
post #2 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday released a developer preview of Safari 5.1, its next-generation browser for Mac OS X that will provide developers with a full-screen API, more powerful extension support, enhanced CSS3 support, and several other enhancements.

The 45.3MB private beta, labeled Safari 5.1 Developer Preview, will deliver improved graphics performance on Windows, media caching for audio and video data for web apps using the HTML5 application cache, and a new process architecture that separates the browser's rendering process from its application process, making Safari more responsive and stable.

Along these same lines, Safari 5.1 (on Snow Leopard and Lion) will run plug-ins within their own process, which should improve both security and stability.

For developers, the upcoming release introduces support for full-screen web content and support for keyboard behavior control by introducing several new methods to the Element and Document classes, according to people familiar with the software.

The forthcoming release will also offer developers new ways to customize and interact with Safari through Safari Extensions. For instance, developers will be able to receive event notifications when a user opens a window or tab, or when a window or tab has gone inactive.

Similarly, developers will gain access to a feature called Extension Menus, which will allow them to deliver inactive and customizable menus from within the Safari interface, as well as access to throw users into and out of the browser's Reader feature.

Another Extensions API called Extensions Popover should also allow developers to present users with large chunks of customized content that won't interfere with existing web content loaded in a tab or browser window.

Additionally, Safari 5.1 will roll out support for Web Open Font Format (WOFF), Mathematical Markup Language (MathML), CSS3 Auto-hyphenation, CSS3 Text Emphasis, CSS3 Vertical Text, and CSS3 Transitions and Animations.

I'm curious of Safari 5.1 is using the WebKit 2.0 engine?
post #3 of 35
I hope those several other fixes includes fixing the dismal way Safari does threading. Use "Open in Tabs" to start a dozen or so webpages downloading and it locks up with a spinning rainbow wheel. Simply waiting for HTML from a sluggardly website seems to render Safari incapable of allowing a user to interact with the web pages that have already downloaded. It's frustrating to see a CPU load of only 5-10% and yet Safari is unusable.
post #4 of 35
Obligatory post about the multiple gigabyte memory leak.

And yes, I'd absolutely love if the Dev Preview 4 or final build of Safari 5.1 is using WebKit 2.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yes, I'd absolutely love if the Dev Preview 4 or final build of Safari 5.1 is using WebKit 2.

Seconded.

I am disappointed to say I have switched to chrome, it's better simple as that, more colour with discernible extension buttons, excellent tab design, plenty of add ons, snappy.

I hope it's not a case of too little too late here for safari, but please fix the tabs first and put some colour on the damn thing.
post #6 of 35
Chrome is OK if you don't mind it calling home ever ten minutes (literally. I use Little Snitch to verify this). Further, Chrome's support of some things like java script is lacking. I interact with many government websites like Pacer regularly. Chrome struggles to properly implement the java script so things like improper printing or loading occur. Safari never struggles to load these things.

If I wasn't to use Safari anymore, I'd go with the new version of Firefox (which I used to hate). The extension support is much better then Chrome; Firefox doesn't have the java script issues; Firefox has fixed a lot of the previous interface issues I hated; and it doesn't call home but to look for updates.

The one reason I consider switching from Safari is Chrome, Firefox, and now Explorer all have tabs on top. It makes more sense. When Apple tried tabs on top, half the populace preferred it. Still Apple killed it. Apple should have made it an option and people like me wouldn't' be experimenting with other browsers. The others would have come around. It was one of the first times I saw Apple cave to the masses design critiques. I also agree about the color. Let me work in some color if I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Seconded.

I am disappointed to say I have switched to chrome, it's better simple as that, more colour with discernible extension buttons, excellent tab design, plenty of add ons, snappy.

I hope it's not a case of too little too late here for safari, but please fix the tabs first and put some colour on the damn thing.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

I'm curious of Safari 5.1 is using the WebKit 2.0 engine?

AFAIK new process architecture = webkit 2.
post #8 of 35
Quote:

Thirded.

Safari today used 1.7GB, with 6 tabs open. Top Sites turned off. That's the highest I've seen it.

Right now it's using 400MB with 2 tabs open. This site and me.com
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Seconded.

I switched to Chrome on my PC and Mac. Safari's performance has been abysmal on my Mac and Firefox 4 development was too slow.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Thirded.

Safari today used 1.7GB, with 6 tabs open. Top Sites turned off. That's the highest I've seen it.

I'm on 10.5.8 PPC with WebKit Nightly [minus WebKit2] and with 2 tabs the Real Memory consumption is:

65.9MB

I open a third tab: AppleInsider.com and my Real Memory jumps to:

116.07MB

What the hell is on AI that's nearly doubling my footprint? Oh that's right! Flash!

All those lovely Flash ads and their container objects.

My option is to run AdBlock 2.4.9 and trade off the Flash crap for running AdBlock.

I'm now at 2 Tabs [reloaded AI], after restarting Safari with Adblock, and guess what? My Memory went to:

91.21MB., with 12 threads.

How blocking linked content costs one 25.31MB of memory just to run the HTML5 parser and then filter out those links via the BlockList remains a mystery.

Now, if those ads were HTML5 ads being served to client browsers that supports HTML5 I know the memory footprint will be less as QuickTime is already system-wide and will handle the media needs. If it's a WebGL Ad for those HTML5 supported browsers most of the heavy lifting is done on the GPU for OpenCL/OpenGL.
post #11 of 35
So will I be able to do a search in the address bar like chrome, firefox or even ie9 does? I find it rather convenient.
post #12 of 35
I wonder if the mobile Safari iOS5 finally supports HTML5 device features such as camera.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #13 of 35
I wonder if the new extension APIs make it possible for Inquisitor to finally come back.
post #14 of 35
Quote:

Does that imply that Safari 5.1 still supports Leopard, albeit with less features?
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm on 10.5.8 PPC with WebKit Nightly [minus WebKit2] and with 2 tabs the Real Memory consumption is:

65.9MB

I open a third tab: AppleInsider.com and my Real Memory jumps to:

116.07MB

What the hell is on AI that's nearly doubling my footprint? Oh that's right! Flash!

All those lovely Flash ads and their container objects.

My option is to run AdBlock 2.4.9 and trade off the Flash crap for running AdBlock.

I'm now at 2 Tabs [reloaded AI], after restarting Safari with Adblock, and guess what? My Memory went to:

91.21MB., with 12 threads.

How blocking linked content costs one 25.31MB of memory just to run the HTML5 parser and then filter out those links via the BlockList remains a mystery.

Now, if those ads were HTML5 ads being served to client browsers that supports HTML5 I know the memory footprint will be less as QuickTime is already system-wide and will handle the media needs. If it's a WebGL Ad for those HTML5 supported browsers most of the heavy lifting is done on the GPU for OpenCL/OpenGL.

Safari Adblock (the extension) as far asi know is not blocking anything, just hiding. The old one Adblock based onSIMBl was actually blocking ads (as in not downloading).

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #16 of 35
WebGL and Do Not Track HTTP Header functionality is also new, enabled via the Develop menu...

Yes, it's Webkit 2.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Thirded.

Never had problems with Safari memory consumption. Right now 4 tabs open (AI, MacRumours, and 2 copies of TUAW). Memory usage is under 250 MB. I also have 8 extensions installed too.

post #18 of 35
Safari 5.0.6 Beta for Leopard is a developer preview, as well, minus two key areas:

WebGL and WebKit2.

Understandable.
post #19 of 35
Can I have tabs on top back please?

And +1 for the unified address/search bar.
post #20 of 35
Every time I run an app that opens in full screen, I have a few harsh words that I mumble to the developer of that product. They're few & far between, yes, but it seems that Apple is trying to make that mainstream. I'll hate it. It's another reason I cuss Windows when I have the misfortune to sit in front of one. I certainly hope that this feature is something I have to do to make happen and not something that's going to appear without being invited.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Can I have tabs on top back please?

And +1 for the unified address/search bar.

Tabs on top not going to happen. If you want to gain more screen real estate run lion with Safari in fullscreen mode.

Unified search bar could happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Every time I run an app that opens in full screen, I have a few harsh words that I mumble to the developer of that product. They're few & far between, yes, but it seems that Apple is trying to make that mainstream. I'll hate it. It's another reason I cuss Windows when I have the misfortune to sit in front of one. I certainly hope that this feature is something I have to do to make happen and not something that's going to appear without being invited.

You can choose to run in fullscreen or windowed. It's a button in the upper left, right where it was shown to be since Lion was first demoed.

It took me some getting use to but eventually I found myself wishing more apps had the option. I was nearly ecstatic when iTunes was updated to allow this option in Lion.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The one reason I consider switching from Safari is Chrome, Firefox, and now Explorer all have tabs on top. It makes more sense. When Apple tried tabs on top, half the populace preferred it. Still Apple killed it. Apple should have made it an option and people like me wouldn't' be experimenting with other browsers. The others would have come around. It was one of the first times I saw Apple cave to the masses design critiques.

I hate tabs on top. Absolutely hate it. I will never "come around". Since other people like it, though, choice would be nice.

Just one thing - you don't gain any screen real estate, at least with firefox 4. That takes up exactly as much verical space as Safari does - in fact, even a flittle bit more. It still has a title bar and three dots above everything else.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can choose to run in fullscreen or windowed. It's a button in the upper left, right where it was shown to be since Lion was first demoed.

It took me some getting use to but eventually I found myself wishing more apps had the option. I was nearly ecstatic when iTunes was updated to allow this option in Lion.

May I ask; are you using a laptop? Asking since I am behind a 30" ACD and can't see the value of full screen apps, you know, with the amount of screen real estate I have. Since you give such a wealth of useful information I'd like to know your view on full screen mode. Hehe, your view. I guess that is pun intended.

Thanks!
Phil
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

May I ask; are you using a laptop? Asking since I am behind a 30" ACD and can't see the value of full screen apps, you know, with the amount of screen real estate I have. Since you give such a wealth of useful information I'd like to know your view on full screen mode. Hehe, your view. I guess that is pun intended.

Thanks!
Phil

Yeah, it's probably best for those that are on smaller displays. I use a 13" MBP because I like the convenience of portability. I'd think 30" would be excessive.

Too bad they don't offer an easy way to have two or three side-by-side on the display. Like a setting in System Preferences that lets you choose from one or two bars that virtually separate the display into sections so when you go full screen they only take up x-many pixels along the x-axis. Perhaps even with a slider so you can adjust how much each section gets.

In case it was missed, They stated yesterday that 73% of Mac purchases are notebooks. If we consider that cheaper Macs probably sell more than more expensive Macs and that they have the 13" display for 3 distinct model types it seems to safe to say I'm the average consumer in this case.

PS: If only 23% are non-portable Macs what percentage of Macs sold are Mac Pro. I think those wanting the big Mac may find themselves disappointed in the future.
post #26 of 35
Quote:

a new process architecture that separates the browser's rendering process from its application process, making Safari more responsive and stable.

I'll believe it when I see it (or rather I don't see the spinning beach ball of death )
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Never had problems with Safari memory consumption. Right now 4 tabs open (AI, MacRumours, and 2 copies of TUAW). Memory usage is under 250 MB. I also have 8 extensions installed too.

You're lucky.

My excessive use could be due to the extensive use Safari gets. It's on constantly with dozens of sites visited daily. It used to be that the most memory it would use was about 900 MB.

Now that I've bumped up my memory from 4GB to 12GB it seems that Safari wants more of it, and that's after disabling Top Sites.

At least now with the additional memory I added, I'm not running out, which is great.
post #28 of 35
You know, I sure hope ical, itunes, safari, the ilife suite etc do not force you to run your apps in full screen mode all the time, if so that will be very very very annoying
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k1977 View Post

You know, I sure hope ical, itunes, safari, the ilife suite etc do not force you to run your apps in full screen mode all the time, if so that will be very very very annoying

Uh, have you read anything about Lion at all?

post #30 of 35
Quote:

Uh, have you read anything about Lion at all?

I've read a few things, but they're always highlighting full screen mode, I know about misson control and how it manages full screen apps, etc. Not good enough, sometimes I want to see other windows behind the current applications, I even have notifiers in my menu bar, so I don't want my menu bar hidden all the time.

I don't have a lot of time to read about all this I am so busy all the time. I'm mostly just waiting to be suprised. I plan to upgrade to Lion as soon as it's released after making sure my time machine backup is current, and if I don't like it, I'll just restore back to snow leopard until I'm ready to switch.
post #31 of 35
Quote:

I've read a few things, but they're always highlighting full screen mode, I know about misson control and how it manages full screen apps, etc. Not good enough, sometimes I want to see other windows behind the current applications, I even have notifiers in my menu bar, so I don't want my menu bar hidden all the time.

I don't have a lot of time to read about all this I am so busy all the time. I'm mostly just waiting to be suprised. I plan to upgrade to Lion as soon as it's released after making sure my time machine backup is current, and if I don't like it, I'll just restore back to snow leopard until I'm ready to switch.

Well, to recap since you don't want to go to Apple's website and see for yourself, no, Full Screen is not mandatory. I've never used it for any application, myself.

Oh, but Photo Booth's broken when it isn't full screen in Dev Preview 4. That'll probably be fixed.

post #32 of 35
Quote:

They don't

Actually, in watching the keynote (I know, flies in the face of Internet message board tradition - my bad) Phil demoed a swipe to switch between open apps that looked very cool. Also, full screen mode isn't just automating the maximizing of a window like on a certain other operating systems either.

Even with my new 30" display, I find myself still running my major applications full screen. I definitely do on my MacBook Pro. That's why I, personally, am looking forward to the option to run apps in full screen mode. For those who it's not appealing, you can ignore the new full screen icon in the upper right hand corner of the window and everything works the way it is today.
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah, it's probably best for those that are on smaller displays. I use a 13" MBP because I like the convenience of portability. I'd think 30" would be excessive.

Too bad they don't offer an easy way to have two or three side-by-side on the display. Like a setting in System Preferences that lets you choose from one or two bars that virtually separate the display into sections so when you go full screen they only take up x-many pixels along the x-axis. Perhaps even with a slider so you can adjust how much each section gets.

In case it was missed, They stated yesterday that 73% of Mac purchases are notebooks. If we consider that cheaper Macs probably sell more than more expensive Macs and that they have the 13" display for 3 distinct model types it seems to safe to say I'm the average consumer in this case.

PS: If only 23% are non-portable Macs what percentage of Macs sold are Mac Pro. I think those wanting the big Mac may find themselves disappointed in the future.

Indeed, with that many laptops sold I see the 'need' for Full Screen apps as an option. Your idea on virtually separating the display into sections is great. But then again, with the small amount of desktops sold I don't think they will create such an option. (Probably why a friend of mine opted for two 23" monitors instead of one 30").

It is a little concerning, to me, that the MacPro could possibly die a sudden death. Then again, I can't imagine the engineers at Apple write software on laptops/Minis/iMacs. They did however kill their blade server, which came as a surprise to me, in spite of my expectation that wouldn't sell well.

Sorry, I digress
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I'll believe it when I see it (or rather I don't see the spinning beach ball of death )

WebKit2 is an improvement upon Chrome's solution.
post #35 of 35
no chrome for me
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple's Safari 5.1 to deliver new process architecture and extension support