or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012

Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012 - Page 3

post #81 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I will miss the MobileMe Gallery feature if that isn't migrated. I'm still hoping these two features are part of the 5 GIGs we are being offered in some form but as others have said the Gallery may have been dumped because of FaceBook. That however, is hardly a replacement for an Aperture user that uses the Gallery for professional portfolios or client previewing.

That indeed is a crying shame. And Facebook is no replacement.

I love how easy it is to upload your photo's from Aperture. Versions. Masters. With or without captions, meta-data - the lot. Apple really got this right in Aperture. But upload to Facebook? The moment you upload a photo to Facebook they become the owner of that photo. One of the (many) reasons I dislike Facebook.

Here's hoping Apple will publish info on the Gallery/iDisk issue.

Cheers,
PhilBoogie
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #82 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I use Word and Excel 2004, and won't buy the later versions, which I can't stand. I find the alternatives to Office lacking too much. Is there no hope for a Rosetta-like app in Lion?

Virtualization is a possibility (ala SheepShaver or a similar app), but Roaetta relies upon a ton of proprietary code that Apple either bought or licensed from a company back in '04 probably. I guess someone else could provide a solution, but I imagine the demand (even for a team to write an open source Rosetta clone) is prohibitive.

No one bothered recreating Classic emulation and I doubt they will with Roaetta either. I think Mac users have become used to moving on after 3 major transitions over the past 3 decades.

I preferred Word 2004 like you, but moved to Pages and Numbers a few months ago after using it side by side with OO/LibreOffice. I've wanted to completely rid myself of MS products for some time now and this was a great motivator. iOffice and OO will gain a few new users after this.

As for iDisk, Finder's WebDAV integration has always sucked -- hard. Using it with an app like Cyberduck was the best solution, but sort of defeated the convienecne of OS integration. You might as well go with an ordinary FTP server if you're not fond of jumping on the 'ZOMG DropBox is awesome' bandwagon.
post #83 of 86
After careful reading, I’ve put aside several of my objections to iCloud. Many online storage vendors give you 2GB of free storage, but iCloud gives you 5GB free. Apple also notes, “Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage.” Furthermore, iCloud isn’t restricted to Apple’s applications like iWork, as I and others have thought. Apple states, “We’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too.” So iCloud does provide backup for my documents, as well as making the latest versions available to my other computers and mobile devices.
post #84 of 86
I have been a bit screwed over by this. My account auto-renewed in late May, and now others are getting that year for free.

I was looking forward to getting an icloud.com address, since my me.com one gets too much spam, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards. And I have a small personal website that I now have nowhere to host. *Sigh*
post #85 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have been a bit screwed over by this. My account auto-renewed in late May, and now others are getting that year for free.

I was looking forward to getting an icloud.com address, since my me.com one gets too much spam, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards. And I have a small personal website that I now have nowhere to host. *Sigh*

You don't need to worry about the website until this time next year, a lot can happen in that time. Godaddy is pretty cheap with tons of space, and iWeb can work with FTP.

My account renewed late March, so I am not getting a year free either. DropBox is $99 a year for any decent amount of space, so you are getting iDisk for another year, it really isn't such a bad deal and who knows what they will roll out in the fall.

The one thing for me is that I have an iPod 2nd gen. so the iCloud doesn't work (at least the beta) would miss syncing on it if mobileme features go away completely. But it is still something that is over a year away. Best to hold judgement at least for a while.
post #86 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/07/...obileme-users/

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012