or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

If that's the case, why does iCloud support up to 10 devices? Is that all for ONE person?
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsava View Post

If that's the case, why does iCloud support up to 10 devices? Is that all for ONE person?

Yes. You might have two Macs, an iPhone, an iPad, and AppleTV or two. Ten is a reasonable number that covers most people.
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Yes. You might have two Macs, an iPhone, an iPad, and AppleTV or two. Ten is a reasonable number that covers most people.

It's not really that simple though. Does only ONE person use a particular iMac or iPad in a household? I think it's disingenuous to assume so, and I think it only serves to fragment the entire purpose of iCloud.

I hope Apple will addresses this in time for release of iOS 5 and iCloud. It's really as simple as allowing a set amount of sub-accounts under one master administrator account, similar to the way many cable internet providers administer and manage a household of email addresses. Then you can choose which items you want automatically synced and between which sub-accounts.

I just hope they don't stick their head in the sand on this entire "family" issue until iOS 6 when they release user profiles for the iPad. This will be a real annoying issue that will impede full adoption of iCloud for a large percentage of their user base.
post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...

You can turn iCloud and app/music/book syncing on or off on each individual device. If you don't want your stuff synced to your siblings devices, just turn off the syncing. Simple.
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsava View Post

It's not really that simple though. Does only ONE person use a particular iMac or iPad in a household?

No. But each use has their own account, right? They should.

You can already authorize multiple iTunes accounts simultaneously. Log out of one account (iTunes store > click on account name > sign out). The account stays authorized even though you are logged out. Then authorize the other accounts the same way. They'll all stay authorized.
post #46 of 62
I can't really understand some of the griping about the family plans and the extra cost incurred. You would think that this is ghe greatest thing for a family with around 10
Apple devices. Sure if the kids all have their own C.Cards, let them do their own
individual thing and account.
But for a family with younger kids that they actually want to keep an eye on what they
get into. Gather up all the music possible and get it on that $25.00 plan. Just put different
playlists so when each and everyone wants to bring out of the Cloud, they all have what they want. They can still all get their own e-mail accts.
post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

No. But each use has their own account, right? They should.

You can already authorize multiple iTunes accounts simultaneously. Log out of one account (iTunes store > click on account name > sign out). The account stays authorized even though you are logged out. Then authorize the other accounts the same way. They'll all stay authorized.


I'm not sure I follow how this works... I've never played around with this because I always used one account for me and my wife... iCloud may require I change my philosophy...

The way I understood it (which may or may not be 100% correct), multiple accoutnts doesn't solve the problem of sharing music and movies between accounts. It just fragments the entire purpose of having a central computer or cloud with ALL your media. When you want to access your media via your iPhone or Apple TV at home on your wi-fi network, you have to figure out what account has what media, hope that the computer is logged in the correct account, log into the correct account on your phone or Apple TV and then stream. Totally un-Apple. I thought that iCloud was supposed to fix this problem. It fixes it only for one individual user who uses one account on their home computers. This may satisfy the average nerd, but it does not address a large portion of families.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of "fair-use" to assume that media purchased from the same household, with the same credit card, should be accessible by all Apple devices used by the household. I mean we're not talking people trying to take advantage of the system, we're talking about average families.
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie View Post

I don't think so. Just set all the iTunes libraries up to share and then you stream from them. They all show up on mine.

I don't know how you have this working. On my AppleTV, if I try to add a library that doesn't use the same ID, it won't let me. All media libraries in the house have to be set to the same AppleID for them to show up in Home sharing.

You can browse for someone's library and connect to it, but it isn't automatic unless they are all the same ID as far as I can see.
post #49 of 62
I guess Riccardo Ettore is not too happy about the keyboard shortcuts feature: TapIt4me
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

Your answer may be snappy but it doesn't mesh with the reality of how people have evolved into Apple customers. In our case we started with my iPod, hence my iTunes account, but with all our CDs transferred over; then his Nano that used the same music (which was 'our' music all along), etc. It's ludicrous to expect that every person in a household has to buy the same song, each. Sharing within one's family (however defined) is a fact of life (and, indeed, a key attribute of *being* a family!).
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our me@me.com emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.

Not true. You can stream more than one computer to ATV. It will be under shared Movies, TV Shows.... ect...
Also it does not matter what apple ID you have for the remote. my daughter and I have different IDs and our respective iPhones will control our ATV.
post #52 of 62
Any news on whether or not we can delete/remove standard apps from the phone?

For one, I prefer Bloomberg to the standard 'stocks' app and am fed up of having the stocks app all the way over on screen 9 just taking up space...
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID.

You can change the Apple ID on any iOS device (in Settings -> Store) but it is somewhat cumbersome (first sign out then sign back in).

And any iTunes instance can allow for guest access, that should work for your AppleTV (but it might not work for protected contented, ie, all movies/TV shows).
post #54 of 62
It's about time! Tell me the truth fellow iPhone/iPad users; haven't you all, at one time or another, cursed our favorite company - and quite Royally at that - when you were furiously typing away some boilerplate phrase or paragraph on our unsympathetic keyboard because we weren't allowed to have the ability to create simple macros? Duh, like the kind we had on our original Palm Pilots - was it circa 1997 or so?
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I am in 100% agreement here. I mean, for crying out-loud UI says "Computers"...plural!!! That was the first and most annoying thing about the ATV2 I found. no access for multiple iTunes accounts simultaneously. However, Airplay has almost 90% solved that problem. I had a momentary uncontrollable geek-out yesterday when i was able to stream the WWDC Keynote streaming to my ATV2 from my iPad2. So Airplay has partially solved the multiple users accounts, but now with iCloud, I think ATV will never get this needed update. Apple will continue to ignore the potential of the ATV. However, they have seen the light with the adoption of iPad Mirroring to the ATV. So now I can play Angry birds on my HD plasma to my heart's content!

The Apple TV already has this ability to use multiple different Apple IDs and iTunes accounts simultaneously. You need to setup Home Sharing with a single Apple ID but each individual can keep their own Apple ID attached to their own individual iTunes accounts. And they all show up on the Apple TV.

Also, you can have different Apple IDs and still share purchased apps, music, tv, movies, etc. between the different people. Most people just don't understand how generous Home Sharing actually is and how it actually works.
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by luinil View Post

A family ID grouping several Apple ID would be a solution.

Apple has already provided that solution with Home Sharing. It is EXACTLY what you just stated. Whatever Home Sharing ID you use only groups together several different Apple IDs. It serves no other purpose really.
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It'll be clearer. But Apple TV absolutely needs multiply ID ability.

Apple TV2 already has multiple (and simultaneous) Apple ID ability. Read my post 2 posts above.
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our me@me.com emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.

Just use Home Sharing. You can have different Apple IDs attached to your own iDevices and iTunes on your computer. The Home Sharing account is the only thing that must be the same. You do NOT have to use the same Apple ID for everyone while using the single Home Sharing ID to set up Home Sharing for everyone. That is the mistake people keep making.

With Home Sharing you don't have to purchase things over again. Everyone in your home can use their own Apple IDs but you all still have access to everyone else's purchases. And you can even set Home Sharing to sync your wife purchases over to you automatically even though she has an entirely different Apple ID than you that she is making the purchases through.
post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni714 View Post

It's about time! Tell me the truth fellow iPhone/iPad users; haven't you all, at one time or another, cursed our favorite company - and quite Royally at that - when you were furiously typing away some boilerplate phrase or paragraph on our unsympathetic keyboard because we weren't allowed to have the ability to create simple macros? Duh, like the kind we had on our original Palm Pilots - was it circa 1997 or so?

Others curse at the auto correct:



Cheers,
PhilBoogie
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Others curse at the auto correct:

If you can't be bothered to at least look over something before you send it to me, I can't be bothered to take your retraction seriously.

People need to freaking wake up. Humanity wasn't like this when I was a kid.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #61 of 62
I came across this thread while looking for an answer to the migration problem. I just wanted to say that if you use a separate account for purchasing from the store (personally, I use my husband's account) all you do is sign in to iCloud with your me.com address (if you don't have one you can create one) then go into the Store section in Settings, sign out of your me.com account and sign back in with the account you use for purchases. The options for automatic download of purchases are in the Store section of Settings, not the iCloud section. When you go into the app store, you'll also get the cloud option for downloading purchases made on the Store account.

The use of the same iCloud account on ten different devices would really only be useful for one person using all those devices. So for us, I'm logged into the same iCloud account my iPhone and iPad whereas my husband is logged into his own iCloud account on his iPhone but we can still share the same Store account. I personally don't wat to be getting my husband's messages and emails etc., I'm not that much of a snoop!
post #62 of 62
In theory even with the same Apple ID each phone is unique and so is every iPhone backup. For example, my wife and I share a few apps, but everything else media and some contacts are different because we wanted different things on our phones, which is natural. So in theory iCloud should only set up and restore what was on that phone to begin with as iTunes does. It's going to ask what backup you want to use.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts