or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nintendo unveils next-gen game console with iPad-like controller
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo unveils next-gen game console with iPad-like controller - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm not sure where the term "Super HD" is coming from, but calling anything driven by an ATI 4870 or even Nvidia GTX 460 "Super HD", is... laughable.

I think he meant Wii = non-HD, PS3/360/Wii U = HD, PS4/720 = Super-HD. Whatever Sony/Microsoft do next will have to have something to set them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As for Nintendo, I don't see them offering the "hardcore" titles like on PS3 and Xbox360, so, as excited as I am about a "next-gen" console, I'm not sure about this Nintendo thing until we get more information.

Some of the launch titles are:

Assassins Creed
Arkham City
Darksiders 2
Dirt
Metro: Last Light
Tekken
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge

The Metro games are about as hardcore as they come. I think the biggest hurdle in accepting Nintendo consoles as hardcore gaming machines is because games looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUsfqo2xRA

When they look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iJIdE3Kaqo

it won't be so bad. Nothing groundbreaking but at least not garbage.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

And let's be realistic, pushing the graphics 10X like the HD crowd demands would put Microsoft and Sony off once again. To accomplish this:

1. Sony would would have to invest millions if not a few billion into a chip that would be able to push more polygons on the screen without losing quality and that is cheaper to manufacture, and MS would have to find a chip of equal caliber. This in turn would force developers to acquire new hardware and would raise the prices of games on the market which already border on "ludicrous".

Or

2. Both would need to implement native support for Ray tracing, which would also drive costs through the roof.

GTA IV cost 100 Million to develop, EA said pushing new IP's on Wii was 7 million compared to the HD platforms which could go as high as 60 million.

Sony and MS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they overdo things, which is why I don't expect and am advocating against another "super-jump" in graphics. Nintendo was smart in waiting for the roadblock in the GPU department, because now it forces MS and Sony to differentiate not only from themselves but from Nintendo.

The new Minimum for Wii U games is expected to jump $20 up to $70 a game. Imagine what games would cost on the Super HD platforms.

You do know that the price of videogames hasn't changed much since the 80's. I remember paying $250 for the Nintendo system with the Robot, Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. back in the mid 80's and that was an unreal price. Legend of Zelda was like $80 when it first came out and either Phantasy Star 1 or 2 was over $100.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Had anyone actually done dugging up the statement in question was to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlqC-9HTm4

Nobody knows what the Console can actually do yet, quit yer whining.

Fair enough, nobody knows what the console can do, but based on that video, there doesn't seem to be anything "next-gen" about the console. "Many gens" ahead of the current Wii, of course.

But it does seem like Nintendo is getting into the more "hardcore" console gamer market. Will it lose its family appeal and success, I wonder.
post #44 of 52
Oooh. I see Dirt 3 is out. Gonna get that. For PC ...Reading up the reviews on Duke Nukem Forever. Oh, the memories.

Looks like our PC elitist community (sarcasm) has weighed in on Duke Nukem Forever:

The story is great.. but the gameplay is very disappointing on PC.. it's a xbox game (lots of spamming 'space bar', pointless cinematics when doing actions (that u cant abort), regenerating health, no quick-save, etc.)..
i am already bored of pressing that f*****g 'space bar'

\t
Nah not worth the wait at all. Just a typical CoD/Homefront style of approach with shooting and annoying scripts of linearity.

AND OF COURSE

Too early to say. Surprised at how bad the graphics are. I am playing on the PC which at least has anti aliasing etc but I am surprised at how poor quality the textures etc are.

The graphics look crap because it has to work on console

No. There are a lot cross platform games that look great on the PC and console. This is just a huge mess of uninspired development.
post #45 of 52
Tryptic and Gearbox are not blizzard. They can't delay a game for 10+ years and release it to open arms. Especially a game so limited in it's style and genre at this point in time.

I stopped personally wanting DN:F as soon as they cancelled it the second time.

If anything the massive hype behind it was what lead to any disappointments more than anything else.
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

You do know that the price of videogames hasn't changed much since the 80's. I remember paying $250 for the Nintendo system with the Robot, Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. back in the mid 80's and that was an unreal price. Legend of Zelda was like $80 when it first came out and either Phantasy Star 1 or 2 was over $100.

I seem to remember them being about half the price they are now but I guess I was just accustomed to buying used games. That's a bit of an eye-opener. The console alone was $200:

http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ds...r-mario-world/

and back in 1999, over a decade ago, $40 was considered a 'bargain price':

http://uk.ign64.ign.com/articles/068/068519p1.html

Hmm, I guess I'll have to stop complaining about the cost of modern gaming.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Tryptic and Gearbox are not blizzard. They can't delay a game for 10+ years and release it to open arms. Especially a game so limited in it's style and genre at this point in time.

I stopped personally wanting DN:F as soon as they cancelled it the second time.

If anything the massive hype behind it was what lead to any disappointments more than anything else.

From reading the reviews of DN:F I'm wondering if it's the same Gearbox that released the quite excellent Borderlands? Although AFAIK Gearbox was not the developer from start to finish. To be honest I haven't followed the whole DN:F saga. It got quite ridiculous. At least it finally shipped. Probably not going to get it though.
post #48 of 52
Well, I am officially announcing I am retiring from PC gaming. Dirt 3 is the last straw. You can't save games unless you log in to Games For Windows Live, which I can't at the moment because it keeps trying to download the Update for Games For Windows Live. People around the world are reporting up to 2 hours for these updates to download, if they work. And I haven't even started playing anything yet. Still trying to update GFWL.

Given the cost of games as well, I think my PC gaming days are pretty much at an end.

I will be going to Australia for a few months or more in September. I won't be taking my PC, just the iPad 2, iPhone 4 and MBP 13" 2010 model with Nvidia 320M.

With iOS 5 and Airplay mirroring, or just HDMI or VGA connections, I think I might make do with iOS games for now.

Looks like Xbox 360 is $400 AUD and each game is like up to $100 or so AUD. Maybe I'll bite, we'll see.

But Dirt 3 will be my last PC title.
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hmm, I guess I'll have to stop complaining about the cost of modern gaming.

It looks like it's up to $100 AUD per game when I go to Australia. Not good. But at least it's not $150 AUD.
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, I am officially announcing I am retiring from PC gaming. Dirt 3 is the last straw. You can't save games unless you log in to Games For Windows Live, which I can't at the moment because it keeps trying to download the Update for Games For Windows Live.

You can setup an offline account for Windows Live but it might not have your save games. It's sort of hidden in one of the setup options - it's inline with the text.

I can't stand these online account things - I don't really have a problem with the online authentication systems like Steam but the accounts for social gaming I don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Given the cost of games as well, I think my PC gaming days are pretty much at an end.

I think the cost is more unreasonable given that you can't resell most PC games. Game resale hurts publishers/developers more than anything so why allow it for consoles and only exclude the PC? If you buy a console game for $60 and resell it for $40, the first buyer gets it for $20 and the publisher makes no money on the second sale or subsequent sales. But a PC gamer has to pay $40 or more and that's it, no resale.

Add to that fewer recent games being ported from consoles and random performance bugs or even bluescreens depending on your hardware and it doesn't add up to a very good experience. I only stick with it because I can apply nude patches to the female game characters - makes all the running around in Mass effect a bit less boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I will be going to Australia for a few months or more in September. I won't be taking my PC, just the iPad 2, iPhone 4 and MBP 13" 2010 model with Nvidia 320M.

With iOS 5 and Airplay mirroring, or just HDMI or VGA connections, I think I might make do with iOS games for now.

Check out the game Singularity if you haven't already. It plays fine on the 320M and isn't too bad a game overall. Some iOS games are ok but I've only found a couple of racing games and adventure games to be enjoyable. They just dumb down the UI too much for action games. I just wish they'd straight up port some classic games over without messing with them. The iPad 2 would run Splinter Cell Double Agent no problem at all and you could do all the lock picking etc but instead they just give us some very watered down version of Conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Looks like Xbox 360 is $400 AUD and each game is like up to $100 or so AUD. Maybe I'll bite, we'll see.

But Dirt 3 will be my last PC title.

One good thing about PC gaming is that you can at least take it with you if you have a laptop. That's something the XBox or PS3 class of devices won't allow you to do. The PC also has a lot more RAM. Developers just need to stop treating it like a second-class citizen - they should follow the example of the Battlefield 3 developers. Start on the PC and downgrade to the consoles.
post #51 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can setup an offline account for Windows Live but it might not have your save games. It's sort of hidden in one of the setup options - it's inline with the text.

I can't stand these online account things - I don't really have a problem with the online authentication systems like Steam but the accounts for social gaming I don't like.

GFWL is really bad. I finally managed to run the update (whether it was for the game or GFWL it took three hours). Yeah, there is an offline account somewhere in there but it doesn't save your progress. Having to be online to save your games is nothing short of being truly diabolical.

I think it's not too outlandish to consider that there are quarters in Microsoft that do not want you to play games in Windows, so as to boost Xbox sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think the cost is more unreasonable given that you can't resell most PC games. Game resale hurts publishers/developers more than anything so why allow it for consoles and only exclude the PC? If you buy a console game for $60 and resell it for $40, the first buyer gets it for $20 and the publisher makes no money on the second sale or subsequent sales. But a PC gamer has to pay $40 or more and that's it, no resale.

It doesn't make much sense. Consolers don't have to jump through all these ridiculous DRM hoops, and PC users are left struggling even if they buy a good honest copy. But this is also why I'm keen on Xbox360, so that once I'm done with the game I can resell it and that I can buy second-hand games, since I'm not crazy about having to play the absolute latest game, I just want to experience the important titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Add to that fewer recent games being ported from consoles and random performance bugs or even bluescreens depending on your hardware and it doesn't add up to a very good experience. I only stick with it because I can apply nude patches to the female game characters - makes all the running around in Mass effect a bit less boring.

Bingo. You get my drift. Unfortunately I don't have time to mess around with performance bugs, and as much as I would like to, I don't have time to download and apply mods. I want to just fire up the PC, get onto the game screen as fast as possible, and just play the damn game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Check out the game Singularity if you haven't already. It plays fine on the 320M and isn't too bad a game overall. Some iOS games are ok but I've only found a couple of racing games and adventure games to be enjoyable. They just dumb down the UI too much for action games. I just wish they'd straight up port some classic games over without messing with them. The iPad 2 would run Splinter Cell Double Agent no problem at all and you could do all the lock picking etc but instead they just give us some very watered down version of Conviction.

Okay, maybe I'll check out Singularity once I'm done with Dirt 3. There may be a period before I get my Xbox where I'll be playing on my MacBook Pro 13" with the 320M. Portal 2 (Mac) was okay but not that smooth at 1280x800 with settings turned down, so I stuck to finishing it on my PC. But then again performance of the 320M in OS X for games is probably poorer than in Bootcamp.

I agree that iOS games mostly still don't "do it" for me quite yet, though certainly a few ones like Cut The Rope and Monkey Island 2 was very enjoyable. They could do much more with the classics like Wipeout and Tekken but I suspect Sony(?) has a hand in preventing this. When you have the console makers "owning" developers it really sucks. I've seen some interesting "cute" games for PS3 that would do really nice on an iPad 2. Even stuff like Mario Kart on iPad 2 would be awesome, but Nintendo may never let that happen. I'm not talking emulators here, I want the same shipping title on PS3 and Wii playable on the iPad2. The graphics horsepower is more or less there, especially for the less "hardcore" titles.

I think once the iPad3 comes out and particularly the console gaming AppleTV, major developers will start to seriously consider cutting the umbilical from their console overlords and bring major titles to iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

One good thing about PC gaming is that you can at least take it with you if you have a laptop. That's something the XBox or PS3 class of devices won't allow you to do. The PC also has a lot more RAM. Developers just need to stop treating it like a second-class citizen - they should follow the example of the Battlefield 3 developers. Start on the PC and downgrade to the consoles.

The PC will mostly be a second-class citizen except in rare cases. As for the new Xbox360, it is rather portable. Except of course that you need a screen.

Well, time for some Dirt 3.

PS Did you hear EA is launching their own online game purchase system called "Origin"? Crysis2 is no longer available on Steam because of this. EA and Steam are blaming each other for Crysis2 being "expelled" from Steam.
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Having to be online to save your games is nothing short of being truly diabolical.

Yeah Ubisoft had that in Splinter Cell Conviction - another thing they made different from the console versions. What I find funny about these schemes is that not one of them has worked so far in stopping piracy and every further step just annoys the legitimate buyers. People who stole Conviction could play it offline but people who bought it couldn't. It's like the anti-piracy ads at the start of movies. Only the people who bought the films have to sit through them.

The best way to stop piracy is to sell games at a reasonable price and offer a convenient distribution model e.g don't keep selling Black Ops at the launch price when it came out 7 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think it's not too outlandish to consider that there are quarters in Microsoft that do not want you to play games in Windows, so as to boost Xbox sales.

There's bound to be some internal conflict going on (especially over what happened with Halo and Gears of War) but they may have even merged the teams now and focused them on the XBox. A lot of the time it won't be up to Microsoft but even if they made a cut down OS like the XBox OS for PCs so they can at least minimise the software problems and encourage developers to build games for computers. Just like you get Web modes for computers, you can have gaming modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Portal 2 (Mac) was okay but not that smooth at 1280x800 with settings turned down, so I stuck to finishing it on my PC. But then again performance of the 320M in OS X for games is probably poorer than in Bootcamp.

I played it in Bootcamp and it seemed ok but still didn't run as well as I was hoping. It was apparently based on the standard HL2 engine though (explains the long loading times). The games that really blow me away in terms of graphics are the ones that use global illumination - Mafia 2 and LA Noire. I think a lot of developers have been clinging onto tried and tested engines too long. Activision were getting a bit of flak for that given that Modern Warfare is based off a heavily modified Quake 3 engine. They say they've ditched it now for MW3 and when you see BF3's Frostbite2 engine, you can see why they'd want to do that.

The downside I've seen to this is a lot of developers want to try and turn the game into an on-rails movie experience. You just run into a scene, shoot around a very tight sandbox and then a scripted slo-mo action scene and rinse-repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I've seen some interesting "cute" games for PS3 that would do really nice on an iPad 2. Even stuff like Mario Kart on iPad 2 would be awesome, but Nintendo may never let that happen.

I think Little Big Planet would be an awesome game for the iPad. You can imagine a dad with two kids moving the little characters around together. They lock these franchises down though because they are making money on the hardware - even if not directly, selling the hardware is selling an eco-system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Did you hear EA is launching their own online game purchase system called "Origin"? Crysis2 is no longer available on Steam because of this. EA and Steam are blaming each other for Crysis2 being "expelled" from Steam.

Yeah, they renamed their EA Store/Download Manager. I used it a while ago to play some EA title I got a redeem code for. It's been out for years (before 2007) but I only came across it within the last year.

EA are saying that the Crysis 2 thing is to do with a conflict in terms with Steam and other publishers. I don't think it will be the start of the end of EA titles on Steam but obviously annoying knowing that you might have to have separate accounts for different games.

They better not do it with Battlefield 3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Nintendo unveils next-gen game console with iPad-like controller
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nintendo unveils next-gen game console with iPad-like controller