or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options

Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options

post #1 of 39
When iOS 5 is released for the iPhone this fall, users will have the ability to purchase new, custom text message tones from the new iTunes Tone Store.

The new digital storefront is Apple's response to complaints that the company does not offer enough unique sounds to be played when a text message is received. Apple greatly expanded the number of SMS tones last year with iOS 4.2, but the new iTunes Tone Store looks to add even more options.

In the first developer beta of iOS 5, users can enter the iPhone Settings application, and choose "Sounds" and "Text Tone" as they currently can in iOS 4. But in the Text Tone menu, a new link is now available at the top that reads "Buy More Tones."

While the link is included in the operating system, the iTunes Tone Store is not yet live, as iOS 5 will not be available to the masses until this fall. Selecting the link to the store currently launches the mobile iTunes Store application, but users are only presented with the existing Ringtones page.

The new iTunes Tone Store is one of more than 200 user-facing features that will be added to iOS 5. The functionality was glossed over at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, where iOS 5 was shown publicly for the first time.

The iTunes Tone Store iOS 5 beta link currently directs to the Ringtones store.

The first iOS 5 beta, only available to developers, does not provide any additional text tones built in to the operating system. The collection of tones added with iOS 4.2 remain separated in a list titled "New."

While the new text tones were added with iOS 4.2, they were noticeably longer than the tones originally included in the iPhone operating system. Apple addressed that issue in iOS 4.3, shortening the text tones and also adding new SMS alert settings for repeating up to ten times.
post #2 of 39
I don't want to buy more text tones, I want to be able to use my own.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You know that is an option, too, right?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You know that is an option, too, right?

Apparently not?

All I have now under Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone are the six defaults or "None".

Can you enlighten me, oh inward looking one?

post #5 of 39
Quote:

Apparently not?

All I have now under Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone are the six defaults or "None".

Can you enlighten me, oh inward looking one?

Mea culpa. I was thinking of ringtones.
post #6 of 39
Paying for tones for notifications? That's rich!

But you've to hand it to Apple. Without releasing a new phone, they effectively remade iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad into new devices with the new iOS: http://bit.ly/l49OYL.

Pretty neat trick!
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mea culpa. I was thinking of ringtones.

However, once the door for purchased text tones is opened, creating your own should not be an issue.
post #8 of 39
Quote:
buy more tones

I believe I speak for many of us when I say:

let me use my own.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urinal Mint View Post

I believe I speak for many of us when I say:

The catch is that the 'many' that you speak of is only perhaps 1/10 of 1% of users. The rest don't really have an issue with the way it is now.
post #10 of 39
I don't care much about SMS sounds, several choices already. I want a choice of email sounds. Ever been in a room with a slew of iPhones? "beep" everyone grabs their phone.

But I agree, once there's a way to add new tones via the store, adding privately should be possible. Hopefully they learned their lesson with ringtones that locking it down just makes for angry users.
post #11 of 39
"Apple greatly expanded the number of SMS tones last year with iOS 4.2, but the new iTunes Tone Store looks to add even more options."

I'm running 4.3.2 (8H7), and I still only have the original six text tone options. What am I missing?
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

However, once the door for purchased text tones is opened, creating your own should not be an issue.

That's what I'm guessing. It'll show up in iTunes (possibly locating your purchased ones within the Ringtones list) and you'll be able to add your own the same way as you can currently with Ringtones.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

I don't care much about SMS sounds, several choices already. I want a choice of email sounds. Ever been in a room with a slew of iPhones? "beep" everyone grabs their phone.

This is possible in iOS 5, as well as changing calendar alert tones.
post #14 of 39
What I'd like is a reminder tone for missed phone calls, just like there is for missed text messages. Why can't I have that? I had it on an old Kyocera phone I owned and I liked it. I need that.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post

"Apple greatly expanded the number of SMS tones last year with iOS 4.2, but the new iTunes Tone Store looks to add even more options."

I'm running 4.3.2 (8H7), and I still only have the original six text tone options. What am I missing?

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post

Are you using an iPhone 4? That's the only one that got the new text tones.
post #17 of 39
iOS has no method for adding your own notification sounds??

How about 3rd party ones, perhaps via an app, or is that a no-go too? Honest question.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

iOS has no method for adding your own notification sounds??

How about 3rd party ones, perhaps via an app, or is that a no-go too? Honest question.

Currently there is no option to--and there will likely never be the option to do so from a third-party app. There is potential, however, for this functionality to appear in iTunes when the feature is fully fleshed out. Think of it as being nearly identical to how ringtones are handled today.
post #19 of 39
Hopefully iOS5 will offer an assortment of email sounds!
post #20 of 39
I had HAL 9000's "There's a message for you" as a text alert on my old Nokia circa 2006/07 and I miss having that. You'd think w/ Apple's sophistication that they could offer this by now. I can live w/out as I have since I bought my first iPhone 3G in late '08, but come on, Apple. It's mid-'11. Get with the program and with what customers want.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This is possible in iOS 5, as well as changing calendar alert tones.

Good news. It's always felt odd that we had no control over that calendar alert sound.
post #22 of 39
[QUOTE=iosdevaccess;1878558]After getting crapped on last night trying to add iOS 5 to a non developer iphone I bit the bullet and I signed up for a developer account if anyone would like in. $8 bucks a device, I have a few spots open, good for a year and I will email you with the links and any future releases until 5/31/12. Email me (ed: don't email this spammer) /QUOTE]

I suggest you read the terms of use you agreed to when you signed up as a "developer." I doubt it condones sub-letting accounts to random people for money.
post #23 of 39
I would like the option to play a custom sound (something really long and loud) whenever someone sends me an SMS.

That is, I want it to play on THEIR end when they send me an SMS. To remind them not to.
post #24 of 39
This is a good addition, but they'd better be cheap If a 4-minute song is $0.69-$1.29, a 2-second tone better be pennies! Then again ringtones are not cheap...

I would rather have a better selection of stock ringtones. The selection is so weird - more like annoying sound effects. I wish they would just thrown in a few tasteful ringing sounds.
post #25 of 39
Just out of curiosity, what are these "custom" tones that people already have that they want to use for things like text alerts? Are people fabricating tones from their own synth software?

Or is it that folks want to use a few bars of the latest Lady Gaga? Because if the latter, I fully support Apple limiting tones to reasonably brief and relatively low key stuff available on iTunes. The constant roar of people's shitty ringtones is scourge enough, don't make me listen to your horrible music every time you get an alert.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #26 of 39
I'm also hoping for functionality which listens for other alert sounds in the room. When a phone yells DROID a jagged saw blade should materialize from the monitoring device and slowly but certainly extricate the offending owner's heart.
post #27 of 39
The one thing I hate, more annoying ringtones! Pur-lease! Shut that crap off!!!
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The catch is that the 'many' that you speak of is only perhaps 1/10 of 1% of users. The rest don't really have an issue with the way it is now.

You have to be kidding. You mean to tell me less than 1% of users don't want to be able to create and use their own text tones without jailbreaking? Are you fucking kidding me, sir?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignumbers View Post

When a phone yells DROID a jagged saw blade should materialize from the monitoring device and slowly but certainly extricate the offending owner's heart.

Gave me a good lol there. That is the most annoying sound I have ever heard.
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Anecdotal, but of the 25 or so people that I know that own iPhones this is a massive headache. That's the number one gripe I hear about, that when a person gets a text everyone pulls out their phone. You'd think that Apple would have enabled this on a phone that's so well suited to typing quickly on.\
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You have to be kidding. You mean to tell me less than 1% of users don't want to be able to create and use their own text tones without jailbreaking? Are you fucking kidding me, sir?

RIGHT!? How rude! I know I want too!
post #32 of 39
Custom SMS tones is the ONLY thing I miss from my Jailbroken iPhone 1.
So, now we can buy sms tones.. but can we create our own? I'm almost suspecting Apple have a contract with the record labels that prevents them from doing this. It's just silly not to allow this.
post #33 of 39
I already have my tone for new mail ready to go.

It's the "mail muthfucka" tone used in eurotrip.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

post #35 of 39
PC World claims users can create their own, but there aren't many details. Seems to me if we can have "custom purchased tones" we can figure out how to make our own, just like people do with ringtones.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl...ication_tones/
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I had that as my Mac Mail sound for about 2 years before that movie came out. Sometimes I can't believe that it's never gotten old in nearly a decade of use.
post #37 of 39
For the longest time, with my my pre-iPhone Nokias, I used to have the starcraft alert of that little chime just before the words nuclear launch detected. Its a guaranteed attention getter. Hilarious when other gamers hear it they look startled because that quarter second shrill is impending destruction and a manic hunt for the damn red dot and ghost...

for a while on my jailbroken iPhone 2g I did some FTP action and managed to use it. Alas a month later I had the 3GS :P

I look forward to getting my own SMS alert on again...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #38 of 39
Quote:

Just as with ringtones, i'm sure Apple will let you use your own.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Just as with ringtones, i'm sure Apple will let you use your own.

As much as I'm hopeful they will, I haven't seen anything yet that hints that will be an option. I still have the same six text alert notification sounds from two years ago. How on earth this doesn't get priority in Cupertino until now is beyond me.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iOS 5: iTunes Tone Store will offer more text alert options