or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Leaks suggest new MacBook Airs coming Wednesday, voice recognition in iOS 5

Leaks suggest new MacBook Airs coming Wednesday, voice recognition in iOS 5

post #1 of 76
A pair of leaks have hinted that Apple begin selling unlocked iPhones at U.S. Apple Stores on Wednesday and add voice recognition support from Nuance in iOS 5.

Update: Chronic has issued a correction that unlocked GSM iPhones, not new MacBook airs, are coming to U.S. Apple Stores on Wednesday, claiming his source "mixed up part numbers." According to the rumor, the part numbers for unlocked iPhone 4 models are MC603 (16GB, Black) MC604 (16GB, White) MC605 (32GB, Black) MC606 (32GB, White).

MacBook Air leak

Twitter user Chronic, who has been a source for leaks on Apple products in the past, first noted late Saturday that his sources have "100% confirmed" a Wednesday release for a MacBook Air update. Early on Sunday, Chronic added that Apple Store displays will be updated on Tuesday night to launch the company's annual Back To School promo alongside the new MacBook Airs.

The leak comes on the heels of an exclusive AppleInsider report that Apple is scheduled to begin mass production of revitalized MacBook Airs this month with an initial build volume of roughly 400,000 units.

Though Chronic has yet to hear specific details on what changes will be made to the new MacBook Airs, Apple is expected to move the notebooks to Intel's 32-nanometer Sandy Bridge architecture via the chipmaker's ultra-low-voltage Core i5 and Core i7 chips, which feature between 3MB and 4MB of Smart Cache and support a theoretical maximum of 8GB of internal system memory. Rumors of a June launch of Sandy Bridge-powered MacBook Airs emerged in February.

Apple revamped the thin-and-light notebooks in late 2010, adding an 11.6-inch model to the lineup for just $999. The laptops instantly became best-sellers, with one analyst reporting that they were "flying off the shelves" over last year's Black Friday weekend.

Voice control in iOS 5

Chronic also posted a pair of screenshots of an alleged internal build of iOS 5, displaying settings for "Nuance Dictation" and "Nuance Long Endpoint." In addition, a "Mic on space key" may provide further evidence of the rumored voice recognition support in iOS 5. The features are reportedly disabled for the developer build of iOS 5.

In May, it was suggested that Apple would deepen its relationship with Nuance, which makes voice recognition technology, in iOS 5. However, Apple neglected to demonstrate voice control features at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference. After Apple's keynote, several sources claimed that voice features weren't ready in time for WWDC.

Apple has been expected to add complex voice command features to iOS since it acquired Siri, the developer of a voice search app that supported open-ended questions, last year.
post #2 of 76
With Lion so close I am surprised Apple isn't going to wait and ship any new hardware with Lion already installed.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

With Lion so close I am surprised Apple isn't going to wait and ship any new hardware with Lion already installed.

Why would they do that? People get to pay extra for Lion if it comes with Snow Leopard.

Certainly worked for the first-gen aluminum iMac and Tiger.
post #4 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Twitter user Chronic, who has been a source for leaks on Apple products in the past, ...

One look at his icon and you can see he is both extremely young and extremely full of himself. I wouldn't trust any info from someone like this (although the MacBook Air rumour is almost a no-brainer to the extent that the update will happen soon regardless of whether it happens Wednesday or not.)

I bet his Dad is an Apple store manager and has loose lips at the dinner table.
post #5 of 76
Since the Lion upgrade is delivered through the App Store, it isn't necessary to wait or ship out CDs this time around.

Quote:

post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would they do that? People get to pay extra for Lion if it comes with Snow Leopard.

I know it is easy to update and there would be no cost anyway if that close but it seems like a marketing opportunity to ship a new MBA + Lion in a few weeks. Just saying ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFlash View Post

Since the Lion upgrade is delivered through the App Store, it isn't necessary to wait or ship out CDs this time around.

Same comment as to Tallest Skil ... and who mentioned a CD???
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #7 of 76
I really wouldn't be surprised if the supposed voice capabilities were going to be the killer app, so to speak, of the iPhone 5. The phone would include some BS hardware that's required for the voice control and therefore everyone would need to update.

I obviously hope that this functionality is included with the iPhone 4 build of the software, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #8 of 76
Quote:

People who buy a Mac between June 6 and Lion's release get free upgrade from Mac App Store..
post #9 of 76
Quote:

I know it is easy to update and there would be no cost anyway if that close but it seems like a marketing opportunity to ship a new MBA + Lion in a few weeks. Just saying ...

The "marketing opportunity" is to sell an OS twice. They pay for Snow Leopard and then they pay for Lion.
post #10 of 76
Quote:

The "marketing opportunity" is to sell an OS twice. They pay for Snow Leopard and then they pay for Lion.

They've already stated macs bought now will receive lion for free.
post #11 of 76
Quote:

1) There will be Macs coming shortly after Lion is released in July.

2) I'm hoping new Macs sold after Lion's release will have a HiDPI screen option. (I don't mean that 130ppi option in the 13" and 15" MBPs, I mean equal to or around double their current resolution)

Quote:

The first Aluminium iMac came out in August 2007. Tiger was released in 2005. Leopard was released in October 2007. I'm sure you meant Leopard but I disagree with your presumption that Apple is planned the release cycles just to stick it to customers and not because R&D, component sourcing, current sales of iMac, and ramping up of production were all inline.

Quote:

1) If it was all about selling the OS twice and not selling the Mac then the OS wouldn't be $30. We already know the upgrade rate of Macs greatly exceeds Windows so it's not an issue of not people not being interested in new Mac OS upgrades.

2) Didn't Schiller states that all Macs sold would get a free upgrade to Lion? (edit: I see others recall that, too)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

People who buy a Mac between June 6 and Lion's release get free upgrade from Mac App Store..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

They've already stated macs bought now will receive lion for free.

I just checked Schiller's Lion presentation and Apple's website but was unable to find any evidence of this.

edit: Found it in their press release.
The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lions official release date to make a request.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/06/06lion.html
post #13 of 76
Macbook Airs are real sexy machines. My Blackbook is still going strong, so I'm not in the market for a new laptop at the moment, but sooner or later, I'll definitely be picking up a Macbook Air for my next laptop. I want the small one.
post #14 of 76
Quote:

Except they don't. If you purchase a Mac from June 6 you get Lion for free.
post #15 of 76
Quote:

I already noted there would be no cost if it were close, not sure why you are laboring that point?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #16 of 76
Apple PR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer.

Quote:
Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lions official release date to make a request.

post #17 of 76
How much CPU power is necessary for voice recognition and voice commands? Will such software dominate the usage of the CPU? I wouldn't want it if it slowed my computer/iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone too much. Would you?
post #18 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lizard View Post

Apple PR:

Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer.

Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request.

The latter maybe a softening to allow for any slippage in shipping perhaps?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

How much CPU power is necessary for voice recognition and voice commands? Will such software dominate the usage of the CPU? I wouldn't want it if it slowed my computer/iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone too much. Would you?

It can't be that processor intensive, as I remember doing it 10 years ago on ancient Macs, which weren't exactly powerful compared to today's machines.
post #20 of 76
Just took delivery of 2 MBA's as graduation presents for grandkids. Oh well, they go back if this is true. Still unopened.
jgb
jgb
post #21 of 76
Hopefully with a lighter and smaller MacBook Air model.
post #22 of 76
I hope starting with this update cellular connectivity will be available as an option to the MacBook lines. Either that or an iPhone "Nano", a companion to the iPad and MacBooks about half the size of the current one. Apps requiring keyboard input could be shifted onto the pads/books.
post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller MacBook Air model.

I wouldn't expect any changes except for the processor and Thunderwear, and perhaps storage and memory.
post #24 of 76
Quote:

No, marketing is all about creating visibility and getting attention. You almost always want to spread out your press releases. If you do two at once, their attention is diluted.

MBA this week and Lion later is FAR better than both at the same time.

Marketing 101.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 76
Lion up to date program:

What about macs that you ordered before 6 Juni, but have not been delivered?

I ordered an Imac 4 weeks ago and Apple has not shipped it.
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Lion up to date program:

You pay. Same as every other time. The date is set by when you ordered it, not when you get it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Lion up to date program:

If it was invoiced before June 6, you're out of luck. Lion is only $30, so I wouldn't worry too much.
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It can't be that processor intensive, as I remember doing it 10 years ago on ancient Macs, which weren't exactly powerful compared to today's machines.

Yeah, but the speech recognition wasn't that good, if I recall.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You pay. Same as every other time. The date is set by when you ordered it, not when you get it.

I don't think that's the case. The language is "purchased" which is distinctly different from ordered. If it hasn't been shipped, then shompa probably hasn't been charged yet, which means he can still cancel the order, which I would argue means he has not "purchased" anything as of yet.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm hoping new Macs sold after Lion's release will have a HiDPI screen option. (I don't mean that 130ppi option in the 13" and 15" MBPs, I mean equal to or around double their current resolution)

I hope so as well. When I checked the 250+ features of Lion, I could find no mention of HiDPI, but then again I am unable figure out how the following quote can happen without HiDPI capabilities:

"High-resolution cursor
In Lion, the cursor is crisp and sharp at larger sizes."

The following quote sort of implies HiDPI capabilities if blurring is to be avoided:

"Picture-in-picture zoom
The screen zoom feature in Lion features a picture-in-picture view, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. Choose to have the window follow the cursor, or keep the window in one place to show only areas you navigate."

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #31 of 76
I was going to show you a screenshot of DP4 to highlight how neither of these are yet the case, but the screenshot was of the entire screen and not the area in which I was zoomed, so that didn't work...
post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Ummmm.......which is it? You wouldn't trust his info, but you'd bet it is correctly heard from his dad?

both.
post #33 of 76
Quote:

I see your point. I think it's more to do with how easy and reliable Apple OS X upgrades are. Certainly compared to Windows.

I have a brother-in-law whose never owned a Mac but to his credit, he maintains he never does a major OS update on his Windows computer. Of course, he does the minor ones, but says, if you want the new OS, you should buy a new computer with it already installed. Something to do with "drivers!" Or more to the point, missing drivers.

So glad I'm not him!

Best
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Macbook Airs are real sexy machines. My Blackbook is still going strong, so I'm not in the market for a new laptop at the moment, but sooner or later, I'll definitely be picking up a Macbook Air for my next laptop. I want the small one.

Yep they certainly are...I'm trying do go only with the iPad 2 and iOS5 as my only computer. I do have my trusty original intel iMac still going strong though. If the iPad 2 is not up to being my only computer, when the iMac goes bust, I'll most likely get the small MBA.

I just want to keep the smallest tech footprint possible in my home. The biggest LED flat screen with ATV, iCloud, an iPad 2 and my trusty iP4 (with unlimited data from ATT)

On a side note, and I haven't really thought it through yet...but I wonder if I can cut the WIFI cord to Cox cable. My iP4 has unlimited data for $30/mo. (grandfathered in with ATT) that linked to my iPad 2 might just be able to do it?

Hmmm.
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I see your point. I think it's more to do with how easy and reliable Apple OS X upgrades are. Certainly compared to Windows.

I have a brother-in-law whose never owned a Mac but to his credit, he maintains he never does a major OS update on his Windows computer. Of course, he does the minor ones, but says, if you want the new OS, you should buy a new computer with it already installed. Something to do with "drivers!" Or more to the point, missing drivers.

So glad I'm not him!

Best

I think I was really thinking defensively by suggesting as they two were so close why not ship MBA with Lion. The reason being all the Android / Windows morons will point to how lame it seems (to them) to buy a new Mac and have to update its OS a week or so later. We Mac users know it's easy of course.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #36 of 76
Quote:

I think I was really thinking defensively by suggesting as they two were so close why not ship MBA with Lion. The reason being all the Android / Windows morons will point to how lame it seems (to them) to buy a new Mac and have to update its OS a week or so later. We Mac users know it's easy of course.

Yep...it would be really brilliant to have the new MBA's with Lion installed. It would certainly make for a bigger introduction, for sure!
post #37 of 76
Quote:

Yep they certainly are...I'm trying do go only with the iPad 2 and iOS5 as my only computer. I do have my trusty original intel iMac still going strong though. If the iPad 2 is not up to being my only computer, when the iMac goes bust, I'll most likely get the small MBA.

I just want to keep the smallest tech footprint possible in my home. The biggest LED flat screen with ATV, iCloud, an iPad 2 and my trusty iP4 (with unlimited data from ATT)

On a side note, and I haven't really thought it through yet...but I wonder if I can cut the WIFI cord to Cox cable. iP4 has unlimited data for $30/mo. that linked to my iPad 2 might just be able to do it?

Hmmm.

One thing I can say about the iPad 2 (I just got one a few days ago) is that as a musician, I'd have paid the price of this thing if it only came with Garage Band! A few years back I happily paid $500 and way more for lots gizmos that did very little in comparison! The guitar synth is mind blowing I am sucking GB files from the iPad into my MBP to finish off cos the Mac's GB and even Logic Pro have nothing to touch the guitar synth. Being able to play strings with my fingers is like sci-fi! Sorry to rave on
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #38 of 76
Quote:

One thing I can say about the iPad 2 (I just got one a few days ago) is that as a musician, I'd have paid the price of this thing if it only came with Garage Band! A few years back I happily paid $500 and way more for lots gizmos that did very little in comparison! The guitar synth is mind blowing I am sucking GB files from the iPad into my MBP to finish off cos the Mac's GB and even Logic Pro have nothing to touch the guitar synth. Being able to play strings with my fingers is like sci-fi! Sorry to rave on

I'm a bit of an acoustic guitar player, too...I like GB but find the voice recording somewhat lacking. I can't seem to replicate the rich full vocal sound that professional get in a studio. Similar to what you get while singing in a bathroom.

I have a better than average Mic but GB seems a bit weak. Do you think Logic Express would be better?

Best
post #39 of 76
Quote:

How many times can you spread misinformation in one thread? Many, apparently.
post #40 of 76
Quote:

I'm a bit of an acoustic guitar player, too...I like GB but find the voice recording somewhat lacking. I can't seem to replicate the rich full vocal sound that professional get in a studio. Similar to what you get while singing in a bathroom.

I have a better than average Mic but GB seems a bit weak. Do you think Logic Express would be better?

Best

Sorry off topic ... I use an Electro-Voice RE27ND or a Shure SM58 and an XLR to USB2 from M-Audio and get good results from GB (as well as the higher end apps). I never used a USB mic so no idea what they are like to be honest. (Not that you said you used one ... just commenting on that).

BTW note I am not using a real guitar in iPad's GB, it is the synth I am playing with.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Leaks suggest new MacBook Airs coming Wednesday, voice recognition in iOS 5