or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report echoes next-gen MacBook Air production, adds iPad 3 display rumors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report echoes next-gen MacBook Air production, adds iPad 3 display rumors

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
A new report corroborates earlier indications that Apple will begin production of revamped MacBook Air notebooks this month, while also adding an unverified tip on a high-resolution iPad 3 reportedly coming later this year.

Taiwan's Economic Daily said on Tuesday that Apple will begin selling the new MacBook Air in late June with an initial shipment of 380,000 units, as noted by Reuters. That report, however, appears to have recycled information from an exclusive AppleInsider report by citing "industry sources."

Last week, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple had placed orders for 380,000 Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Airs this month, with the 11.6-inch models comprising roughly 55 percent of the shipment.

According to the Economic Daily, when shipments of the new MacBook Airs are combined with shipments of the existing model, 460,000 units are expected to be produced this month. However, AppleInsider cannot confirm a sell date of late June.

Over the weekend, one tipster claimed that revitalized MacBook Airs would arrive this week, but eventually revised his story to suggest that Apple would actually begin carrying unlocked iPhone 4s at Apple Stores in the U.S.

The report also claimed that Apple will launch the iPad 3 in the fourth quarter with "image resolution 5-6 times higher than iPad 2." But, it should be noted that the rumor appears highly unlikely and is reported here for the sake of completeness.

While numerous reports of an upgraded iPad 3 with a doubled resolution of 2048 x 1536 already exist, the resulting display would have four times the amount of pixels. Various sources have also hinted that the iPad 3 will not arrive until 2012.

Apple has reportedly begun certifying components for the iPad 3, but component makers expect the device to come out next year.
post #2 of 31
This article might be discussed in next week's airing of NPR's On The Media. \
post #3 of 31
I really hope Apple offer a 15" MacBook Air. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

2048x1536 is the obvious resolution upgrade for the iPad. I expect it will come in 2012 or 2013 and I will buy one when it becomes available.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #4 of 31
Hopefully with a lighter and smaller model than the 11.6-inch for true Mac mobility.
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller model than the 11.6-inch for true Mac mobility.

Zunx I give you credit for your persistence and your one man campaign for a 7 inch Mac in your pocket for making presentations but it's just not going to happen. Why?
  1. You can now use the pocketable iPhone 4 for presenting on an external display in conjunction with Keynote for iOS and the Apple Digital AV Adapter.
  2. Steve Jobs himself said Netbooks aren't better at anything yet you're calling for Apple to create a seven inch netbook.
    Sales figures for iPads and netbooks reinforce Steve Job's statement.
  3. The OQO Windows machine in your pocket, a device with a wider market appeal than an OS X device, was a commercial failure.

The 11 inch Macbook Air is an extremely light and capable device. You're likely to be carrying paper handouts for your presentation anyway, are you telling us all it's too much of a stretch to carry an 11" Macbook Air with them too?
post #6 of 31
The fact that they said 5-6x higher really hurts their creditably. The way the OS frameworks currently work it has to double in both directions.
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I really hope Apple offer a 15" MacBook Air. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

2048x1536 is the obvious resolution upgrade for the iPad. I expect it will come in 2012 or 2013 and I will buy one when it becomes available.

It's so obvious that reporting something different with a reason why (attain true retina display at the given screen size) adds some credence to the report.

What would Apple do? They would want a true retina display. If that meant using a 2560x1920 display over a 2048x1536 display, then so be it. 2.5x in each dimension isn't the worst scaling ratio, especially when the target resolution is so high that perceiving the scaling from 1024x768 would be very difficult.
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The fact that they said 5-6x higher really hurts their creditably. The way the OS frameworks currently work it has to double in both directions.

I am not so sure about that - the proportions have to be maintained but not necessarily a doubling.

Code:

if ([view respondsToSelector:@selector(setContentScaleFactor : )])
{
view.contentScaleFactor = [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];
}



What this is doing is setting the scale on a view - which takes most of the custom drawing - to be the same as the scale on the mainScreen, which is returned from the frameworks. 2.0 for retina, 1.0 for normal.

I see nothing to indicate it cant be 1.5, or 2.2.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I see nothing to indicate it cant be 1.5, or 2.2.

In Drawing and Printing Guide for iOS it says:

"In iOS 4 and later, the UIScreen, UIView, UIImage, and CALayer classes expose a scale factor that tells you the relationship between points and pixels for that particular object. Before iOS 4, this scale factor was assumed to be 1.0, but in iOS 4 and later it may be either 1.0 or 2.0, depending on the resolution of the underlying device. In the future, other scale factors may also be possible."
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

In Drawing and Printing Guide for iOS it says:

"In iOS 4 and later, the UIScreen, UIView, UIImage, and CALayer classes expose a scale factor that tells you the relationship between points and pixels for that particular object. Before iOS 4, this scale factor was assumed to be 1.0, but in iOS 4 and later it may be either 1.0 or 2.0, depending on the resolution of the underlying device. In the future, other scale factors may also be possible."

which makes my point, I think.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

What would Apple do? They would want a true retina display. If that meant using a 2560x1920 display over a 2048x1536 display, then so be it. 2.5x in each dimension isn't the worst scaling ratio, especially when the target resolution is so high that perceiving the scaling from 1024x768 would be very difficult.

Indeed, assuming such displays are available at a sensible price that would make a lot of sense. The one thing Apple shouldn't do is introduce a 2048x1536 screen this year and a 2560x1920 screen next year. That kind of needless increase in the number of models that App designers need to handle would blur the lines between iOS and Android, in terms of fragmentation.
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller model than the 11.6-inch for true Mac mobility.

For most people an iPhone or iPad does just as well. That is an ultra mobile device that fits in a pocket and does multiple things is far more useful than a device running Mac OS/X.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The fact that they said 5-6x higher really hurts their creditably. The way the OS frameworks currently work it has to double in both directions.

Apples documentation is very clear on this. While current devices use multipliers of 1 & 2 there is nothing to prevent other multiples.

The only thing that the current nice even multipliers do is make it easy on everyone when it comes to bit maps. Drawn objects are no problem at any resolution because they are not specified in pixels. IOS is resolution independent right now.
post #14 of 31
The pixel density required to achieve a "retina display" depends on the distance from the eye to the display. I posit that phones are held nearer than iPads and therefore 2048x1536 would qualify as a retina display by Steve's criteria.

Other multiples are possible but 2x has the huge advantage of providing a nice compatibility mode for older apps.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller model than the 11.6-inch for true Mac mobility.

11.6 is already too small. It will never be smaller. Deal with it or buy a 7" EeePC and Hackintosh it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The pixel density required to achieve a "retina display" depends on the distance from the eye to the display. I posit that phones are held nearer than iPads and therefore 2048x1536 would qualify as a retina display by Steve's criteria.

Other multiples are possible but 2x has the huge advantage of providing a nice compatibility mode for older apps.

And why would x2.5 not offer the same compatibility advantage? As long as the physical size of the screen stays the same, and the OS handles the necessary scaling, I don't see why it would HAVE to be x2.

For me, any increase in resolution is welcome. The iPad2 is an amazing device, and iOS5 will make it even more amazing, but in apps where precision is important you can't help but notice the pixels on the screen. It's a tiny bit annoying knowing the iPhone 4 has such a stunning screen.

Oh, and a Sandy Bridge MacBook Air with Lion? Count me in!
post #17 of 31
All these rumors do is make promises that Apple never made.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #18 of 31
Never believed the Wednesday date for MacBook Airs. Apple never releases anything on Wednesdays.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Never believed the Wednesday date for MacBook Airs. Apple never releases anything on Wednesdays.

Guess they're changing. Apple never released anything unless it was Tuesday. Then boom, Friday iPhone launches. Saturday iPad launches. Monday keynotes.

Nothing's impossible, just improbable.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #20 of 31
I have to think any iPad 3 (be it this year or next) with that sort of resolution will be sporting a newer, more powerful in-house CPU/GPU set up. At that point one has to wonder if these won't start finding their way into lower end MBAs where the buyers accept there will be no Parallels or VMWare possibility.

BTW, After using Lion and discovering how well the iPad influence is merging in with OS X (going back to SL is like the dark ages lol) I have to think what comes after Lion will be (dare I say it...?) 'pure magic'.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #21 of 31
If Apple were to release an updated "iPad 3" or "iPad HD" this fall it would have to have the exact same specs as the iPad 2 except for the screen resolution. Similar to the 4th gen iPod, which was released in black and white and then the iPod Photo. Offering a higher end product. I imagine Apple will eventually offer different flavors of iPad outside of 3G and black or white.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

which makes my point, I think.

If your point is that the scale factor could change in future then I guess it does, but my claim was about the capabilities of the current OS.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

...have to have...

1. Why?
2. "THE YEAR OF IPAD 2"

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IOS is resolution independent right now.

Well the current doco says to use 1.0 or 2.0. If you want to go plugging in other values in your app go right ahead.

But how do you know the point->pixel rendering layer doesn't look like this:

PHP Code:
if ( self.scaleFactor == 1.0f) {
 
// do nothing
} else if ( self.scaleFactor == 2.0f ) {
   [
self doubleEverything];
} else {
  
// TODO: Support other factors in iOS 6
   
@throw [NSException exceptionWithReason:@"Unsupported developer assumption"];

post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I really hope Apple offer a 15" MacBook Air. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Unlikely. The folks that would buy such a device would be too small a group. The Air attracts those that want something small and that's not the perception of the 15 inch models. ANd those that want the 15 inch size typically want the power in the Pros as well.

Now what they might do, with all the notebooks, is just try to make them overall thinner and lighter. Make SSDs the standard as the price comes down. Perhaps remove all the optical drives from store models and make you custom order a model with one built in.

In fact I think it is reasonable to say that Apple is moving that way (Air ish notebooks across the board) for the future the only question is when the planets and pricing will align to make it happen

As for the ipad3 rumors, I'm not buying it. I can't see them releasing a model just to have a better screen or doing a whole new model in six months. Frankly I think that perhaps they had pondered this newer screen for the ipad 2 but they couldn't get stock in the quantities they would need until fall and someone is getting their info crossed and assuming that Apple's interest is still that quick (rather than perhaps going for it next year with the ipad 3)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #26 of 31
"...various sources have hinted that the iPad 3 won't come until 2012."

Who writes this shit? Of course the "3" will come in 2012. It will be the standard 2012 refresh; probably in April.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unlikely. The folks that would buy such a device would be too small a group. The Air attracts those that want something small and that's not the perception of the 15 inch models. ANd those that want the 15 inch size typically want the power in the Pros as well.

Now what they might do, with all the notebooks, is just try to make them overall thinner and lighter. Make SSDs the standard as the price comes down. Perhaps remove all the optical drives from store models and make you custom order a model with one built in.

In fact I think it is reasonable to say that Apple is moving that way (Air ish notebooks across the board) for the future the only question is when the planets and pricing will align to make it happen

As for the ipad3 rumors, I'm not buying it. I can't see them releasing a model just to have a better screen or doing a whole new model in six months. Frankly I think that perhaps they had pondered this newer screen for the ipad 2 but they couldn't get stock in the quantities they would need until fall and someone is getting their info crossed and assuming that Apple's interest is still that quick (rather than perhaps going for it next year with the ipad 3)

I kinda disagree with you. I was a 15" MacBook Pro user who downgraded to a 13" model because of the weight. Since I bought an Apple monitor to plug my MacBook Pro into when in the Office, I don't miss the screen real estate. I did consider the 13" Air but really it doesn't have enough power or GPU performance for my needs or memory. Basically, I want 13" MBP power in an Air size.

A 15" Air would give me back the screen real estate in a machine that weighs less than a 13" MacBook Pro. There would enough room for a decent sized hard drive and a discrete GPU. So long as a 15" Air gave me comparable performance versus a 2.7 Ghz Sandy Bridge 13" MBP, then I'm sure a whole bunch of 15" users would migrate right along over.

The fact is, EVERYONE wants thinner and lighter laptops. Now we've seen what's possible with the latest Airs, we want more. And some of us are even prepared to accept a little less horsepower in the processor department to get slim 'n lite machines.
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unlikely. The folks that would buy such a device would be too small a group. The Air attracts those that want something small and that's not the perception of the 15 inch models. ANd those that want the 15 inch size typically want the power in the Pros as well.

Now what they might do, with all the notebooks, is just try to make them overall thinner and lighter. Make SSDs the standard as the price comes down. Perhaps remove all the optical drives from store models and make you custom order a model with one built in.

In fact I think it is reasonable to say that Apple is moving that way (Air ish notebooks across the board) for the future the only question is when the planets and pricing will align to make it happen

As for the ipad3 rumors, I'm not buying it. I can't see them releasing a model just to have a better screen or doing a whole new model in six months. Frankly I think that perhaps they had pondered this newer screen for the ipad 2 but they couldn't get stock in the quantities they would need until fall and someone is getting their info crossed and assuming that Apple's interest is still that quick (rather than perhaps going for it next year with the ipad 3)

I do not know. There are a lot of us old farts who ruined our eyes coding for many years that might like a larger display....

I have a 15" MPB and a 13" MBP ( Work Computer ). When I am at home is almost always use the 15" so I can see it better....
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

11.6 is already too small. It will never be smaller. Deal with it or buy a 7" EeePC and Hackintosh it.

I agree,,,,,,went in to get one last month and was shocked how small (read- toyish)
they felt. 13.3 is for me. thank goodness i waited too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Hopefully with a lighter and smaller model than the 11.6-inch for true Mac mobility.

My 11.6" is the perfect size for being able to use a computer and travel. I stopped complaining about this when it came out. The aspect ratio of the screen mixed with light weight is awesome. I always wish for more battery life but I can't complain about 6 hours in that form factor.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well the current doco says to use 1.0 or 2.0. If you want to go plugging in other values in your app go right ahead.

But how do you know the point->pixel rendering layer doesn't look like this:

PHP Code:
if ( self.scaleFactor == 1.0f) {
 
// do nothing
} else if ( self.scaleFactor == 2.0f ) {
   [
self doubleEverything];
} else {
  
// TODO: Support other factors in iOS 6
   
@throw [NSException exceptionWithReason:@"Unsupported developer assumption"];


I don't know what the rendering code looks like, but you are missing the point here, including Lorre who replied above about how Apple could just as well introduce a 2.5x content scale factor.

The idea behind the content scaling in iOS serves 2 purposes: scaling up scalable stuff automatically (think UI layout and spacing, fonts, widgets, etc), but it is also for automatic bitmap asset selection. If you deploy to iOS 4 and enable retina display support, you bundle low-res and high-res bitmap assets with your application, and the OS automatically selects which version to use based on the device you are running on. The developer only has to bundle a bitmap with the '@2x' suffix, and iOS automatically uses it.

So while you *can* set the scaleFactor property of a UIView to other values than 1.0 or 2.0 (the docs only mention you typically only use 1x or 2x), you will not get the automatic bitmap assets selection. For many applications this is not really a big problem, because they don't use bitmaps. But for many, many others, it means bitmaps will have to be scaled and resampled, which degrades image quality, and introduces drawing overhead (which is particularly annoying for games, where resampling every bitmap is simply too expensive).

Of course Apple could officially introduce @2.5x bitmap assets, and @4x or whatever, but you can imagine where this would go if you want to make applications with bitmaps at native resolutions for all supported content scale factors. Developers would have to bundle 3, 4 or even more versions of the same bitmaps, making the application unnecessarily big, and most importantly: which may not be *forwards* compatible with devices still to come. Scaling from 1x to 2x does not degrade image quality or add a lot of drawing overhead, because it doesn't require resampling, but scaling from 1x to 2.5x will.

So in the end, I think Apple would be wise to stick to 1x and 2x only, which is perfectly possible because at 250+ ppi, there is no reason to ever go any higher.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report echoes next-gen MacBook Air production, adds iPad 3 display rumors