or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › JC Penney nabs Apple retail chief to become its new chief executive

JC Penney nabs Apple retail chief to become its new chief executive - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Some of you are really out to lunch on this board. You may know tech, but you don't know retail!

JCPenney is a great opportunity. It has been one of the best performing retailers during the recession. It's sales continue to grow, and they continue to open new stores. How anyone thinks Sears is doing better is beyond me. Sears is liquidating stores, while JCpenney is following the Kohl's model and moving stores out of malls into power centers. jcp.com is one of the fastest growing store websites and has a strong future. They have exclusive deals with Claiborne and Sephora. Sure, JCP does need some work especially in continuing the move outside of malls and adding more Sephoras into their stores, but this is a great opportunity for Johnson to build on JCP's improving performance.
post #42 of 58
I'd say Johnson's task will be to make improvements all leading toward an eventual (but fairly quick) sale of the company. That's where his big payoff will come.
post #43 of 58
Sears is viewed by many in the Wall Street world as a real estate company more than a retail company. The own giant amounts of land acquired over the many decades of store building and closing. They got more land when they bought K-Mart.

Nonetheless, Sears could use some help.
post #44 of 58
Hey, not even on the job yet, and Johnson has given JC Penney a billion dollar boost in its market cap, and made himself $10M in profit on paper: http://bit.ly/j8FK5u.

Not bad!
post #45 of 58
So many stupid, snarky comments!

This post from 80 year-old Eli Bensky in the Wall Street Journal says it all (quoted in full):
-----------
I see a lot us senior citizens in Apple stores and I'm almost 80 (in another week). Might be just what department stores need.

My experience with Apple store employees is that they WANT to help (I've never had to find someone to help me), they're knowledgable and they're enthusiastic. Contrast that with the usual department store where "x" department is scheduled to have .7 of a person, who is hiding doing stock work. Apple's stores didn't become wildly successful by staffing them AFTER the crowd appeared. If you haven't shopped in an Apple store you're missing a 2011 experience of what 1950 shopping was like - customer service.

---------------
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

I understand Apple has more money than Target, but which is the more stable business... technology products (invented each year!) or groceries / dry goods... I would pick Target

Right! It is a much better market. Just look at Montgomery Ward and Woolworth.
post #47 of 58
Yeah meanwhile, Wang and Amiga reported great results this quarter. Even Sony.
post #48 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

Wow, really? He'd rather work for JC Penny than Apple

As a retailer, he's done pretty much all he can at Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

He'll regret that decision!!!! What a loser!

Why? Becoming CEO at one of the largest retailers in the world and using his talents to turn them around? Sounds like a big time chance to excel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

If this friigin' idiot thinks that JC Penney is going to have more opportunities for him than Apple

What other opportunities would he get at Apple? He's not gonna be CEO. I guess he could have been promoted to V.P. Oh, wait. He was already a V.P.
He's a retailer and J.C. Penney is one of the biggest retailers and they need help. Sounds like he's got a baziiloin times as many opportunities now.

And look at Steve Jobs. He sold Next and came back to work at a company that was REALLY struggling with little lack of vision and took a salary of $1? Who in their right mind would do something like that?
Quote:
After Steve rescued him from Target? Now he wants to go back to a discounter?

J.C. Penney is not a "discounter".
Quote:
He has no loyalty and even less sense.

He's done pretty much all he can at Apple and it makes perfect sense from just about any standpoint. And I highly doubt he simply walked out the door. Very likely there was plenty of discussion with Steve and Phil and a few others.
Quote:
He's a moron and a bum. GOOD RIDDANCE!

same about you and wish you would say GOOD RIDDANCE! to us here.
post #49 of 58
The App Store must have really ticked him off!
post #50 of 58
This is sad news. I remember working at Apple Inc. and seeing him in the presentation when they launched the retail store initiative. Then I decided to work for Apple Retail at the third Apple Store at the Mall of America in Minnesota, Ron's stomping grounds. Prior to the store opening I saw Ron leaving the mall confused. I introduced myself to him and he told me he was looking for the way to get into the store. I showed him the back hallway on how to get in and we talked about the future of Apple. He was a very easy person to talk to with a great personality. He will be missed!
post #51 of 58
There sure are a lot of know-it-all comments from people who not only can't spell J. C. Penney correctly, but know diddly-squat about retailing.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Uh... look pooky... Target will probably be around in 2050 when Apple is just a memory.

No it won't. Apple will have only expanded into Space Solutions and more advanced work the world will be using.

TARGET will merge with someone like Sears, if either still exist.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

As a retailer, he's done pretty much all he can at Apple.

Why? Becoming CEO at one of the largest retailers in the world and using his talents to turn them around? Sounds like a big time chance to excel.

What other opportunities would he get at Apple? He's not gonna be CEO. I guess he could have been promoted to V.P. Oh, wait. He was already a V.P.
He's a retailer and J.C. Penney is one of the biggest retailers and they need help. Sounds like he's got a baziiloin times as many opportunities now.

And look at Steve Jobs. He sold Next and came back to work at a company that was REALLY struggling with little lack of vision and took a salary of $1? Who in their right mind would do something like that?

J.C. Penney is not a "discounter".

He's done pretty much all he can at Apple and it makes perfect sense from just about any standpoint. And I highly doubt he simply walked out the door. Very likely there was plenty of discussion with Steve and Phil and a few others.

same about you and wish you would say GOOD RIDDANCE! to us here.

I would have been more impressed if he had taken the CEO position at Nordstrom [Though the Nordstrom boys aren't that smart--I know them].
post #54 of 58
While a personal achievement for Johnson, what can he do for Penney's? Nothing. Department stores have been the same for over a hundred years. The "experience" won't change.
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

While a personal achievement for Johnson, what can he do for Penney's? Nothing. Department stores have been the same for over a hundred years. The "experience" won't change.

It's all about how you represent your brand. I strongly believe that one of the main benefactors in Apple getting into the retail presence is because the "Apple Authorized Resellers" were sabotaging the Apple brand.

Perhaps Pennies lacks internal branding and the employees are sabotaging the brand and they need a new and clear vision for internal/external success.

If anyone could pull the company around it would be Johnson. I imagine the stores to look and feel like Target and Apple, and I am also willing to bet Johnson will keep a good relationship with Apple, trying to get iDevices in all the J.C. Penny stores.
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

If this friigin' idiot thinks that JC Penney is going to have more opportunities for him than Apple, then I say GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

After Steve rescued him from Target? Now he wants to go back to a discounter? He has no loyalty and even less sense.

He's a moron and a bum. GOOD RIDDANCE!

What's with you people? You really think people should stick around at an employer when there's no more opportunities or challenges for them? And once you work for Apple, are you supposed to owe them your life?

He made a decision that he thought was good for his career. Why can't everyone just wish him well?
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

first thing: Replace all ceramic tiles with wooden floors.

Second, no racks. All clothes to be folded on wooden tables.

Third, each department has no more than 5 tables.

Fourth, logo becomes a jc shaped like a penny.

Fifth, moar chrome!

Sixth, jeans. Single color t-shirts. At least one attractive member of every race and gender on the floor.

Seventh,
eighth, leave and do the same thing to k-mart in a decade.

stupid ignorant post
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What's with you people? You really think people should stick around at an employer when there's no more opportunities or challenges for them? And once you work for Apple, are you supposed to owe them your life?

He made a decision that he thought was good for his career. Why can't everyone just wish him well?

Steves wishes him well .
and now first off the BAT >>>> APPLE will invade J C PENNY with its own apple inc merc.

And just maybe jc penny can sell other mono chromic appliances that mimic apples cool look

Any way i wish him well and i hope Apple gets in the stores and on the their online site .

Ps notice what kind of store he went too
no bridges were burned at all ..

Ican't wait too see the ipad at JC
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › JC Penney nabs Apple retail chief to become its new chief executive