or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner?

Poll Results: Can another rep. take the punishment of resignation in place of Anthony Weiner?

 
  • 12% (1)
    Yes
  • 87% (7)
    No
8 Total Votes  
post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
Assuming what he did is even worthy of resignation--with which I still disagree, but regardless--could someone else step down and accept punishment for Weiner's impropriety? Would that be acceptable?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #2 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Assuming what he did is even worthy of resignation--with which I still disagree, but regardless--could someone else step down and accept punishment for Weiner's impropriety? Would that be acceptable?

Is he really that important?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #3 of 89
Sure. I pick Obama.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #4 of 89
Hackers just got all of congresses email, I don't think that they need to be throwing stones in those glass houses - every single bit of dirty laundry is about to be aired.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Hackers just got all of congresses email, I don't think that they need to be throwing stones in those glass houses - every single bit of dirty laundry is about to be aired.

And all the major news agencies have gotten some great practice sorting through and analyzing the Palin emails!

At least that's what they're saying, as apparently they need to make it look like it wasn't the total, complete, and utter waste of time it was.

I don't expect to hear much, if anything, from the mainstream media. Just look at their pathetic coverage of the Wikileaks releases.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #6 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Sure. I pick Obama.


http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...d96b489512.cd1

Obama says Weiner should go.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #7 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Assuming what he did is even worthy of resignation--with which I still disagree, but regardless--could someone else step down and accept punishment for Weiner's impropriety? Would that be acceptable?

Fabricating a story to cover up your sexting of a young woman isn't enough? Calling in every major media outlet and reiterating that pure fabrication is no biggie?

It's really not about the conduct but the cover up.
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

It's really not about the conduct but the cover up.

It's about both. Here's a married man who, presumably, took an oath of marriage to a woman and then fairly promptly broke that oath. Why would anyone assume he's good for his oath of office. Of course the lying only makes it worse. But it's about both.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...d96b489512.cd1

Obama says Weiner should go.

Why don't the pair of them just disappear? Like, somewhere overseas?

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #10 of 89
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #11 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

It's about both. Here's a married man who, presumably, took an oath of marriage to a woman and then fairly promptly broke that oath.

Really? I haven't seen that reported anywhere. Or are you making unfounded assumptions?
post #12 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

It's about both. Here's a married man who, presumably, took an oath of marriage to a woman and then fairly promptly broke that oath. Why would anyone assume he's good for his oath of office. Of course the lying only makes it worse. But it's about both.

True enough. Do we really want members of congress txting their cock around?


Don't worry democrats ... what you really care about is the vote in congress ... it wont change sides.
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

True enough. Do we really want members of congress txting their cock around?


Don't worry democrats ... what you really care about is the vote in congress ... it wont change sides.

The second part about MJ's post is true (about the lying) but the first part is speculation, and definitely not "true enough". It shows a complete ignorance about what people do within their own definition of marriage. Who knows... maybe it was Mrs. Wiener posting the pics using her husband's account. Or maybe they posted it together. The fact is, you can't judge him for that. You can judge him for the knee-jerk defensiveness, however.

The difference with Republicans who get caught with their pants down is the hypocrisy. We don't see Wiener going around and saying how evil sex messaging is.
post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Assuming what he did is even worthy of resignation--with which I still disagree, but regardless--could someone else step down and accept punishment for Weiner's impropriety? Would that be acceptable?

Why would another person be foolish enough to take Weiners punishment.Let him resign and be man enough to do it for himself not someone else take the fall.
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Why don't the pair of them just disappear? Like, somewhere overseas?


want don't the GOP Party disappear for good overseas also.
post #16 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Really? I haven't seen that reported anywhere. Or are you making unfounded assumptions?

I'd call it an educated guess. I assume that when he married his wife he took an oath. It's not uncommon. Granted, it is possible that he might have taken an oath that promised fidelity and faithfulness but included an option for sexting other women.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #17 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The difference with Republicans who get caught with their pants down is the hypocrisy. We don't see Wiener going around and saying how evil sex messaging is.

Interesting. But he's not coming out now saying how proud he is of doing this. How there's really nothing wrong with it. How he and his wife did this for fun. How this is just fine for them but it might not be for someone else. It looks to me like he knows this conduct is wrong but he did it anyway. Sounds a bit like hypocrisy to me.

To cop a phrase:

Liberalism: putting the rose colored glasses on immorality for decades.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Sure. I pick Obama.


Second! All in favor.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Assuming what he did is even worthy of resignation--with which I still disagree, but regardless--could someone else step down and accept punishment for Weiner's impropriety? Would that be acceptable?

Perhaps you could explain that? This notion that lying about sex or related issues doesn't matter is bogus, especially in light of what he did. He didn't just tell a lie...he engaged in a pattern of reckless, immoral behavior. Then he got caught. Then he conducted a premeditated Campaign of Lies, holding interviews in his office and lying to reporters, former girlfriends, friends, associates and everyone on the planet. The questions are:

1. How can anyone ever trust anything he says again?

2. Isn't he embarrassed enough to resign?

3. Where is the moral outrage? He sent pictures of his junk to women who were not his wife and had cybersex with them. Is this right? Does anyone care?

4. Don't you question his judgement? See #3. Would you say a member of Congress--a public office--who sends pictures of his junk over freaking SOCIAL NETWORKING sites has good judgement? Who could be so stupid in today's world? Wouldn't you question my judgement as a teacher if I put up pictures of myself on Facebook that were highly inappropriate? Of course you would.

5.Since there appear to be even more women and girls under 18 involved (at least one), doesn't that put him in a compromising position? Going back to #1...what if he really DID have sex with some of these women. What if the woman or women in question try to extort political favors out of him to keep that quiet? What if his political enemies contact those women and get them to do the same...or even threaten to release more details?

Now I know what you're going to say: SDW, you have no proof of that! This is, at least, what I think you and certain other posters (cough...tonton!) will argue. Well you're absolutely correct. But this also goes back to point #1...how we can believe anything the man says? His word is clearly crap. He's already shown a willingness to lie to avoid embarrassment. How can be sure a this member of the U.S. House of Representatives isn't compromised professionally?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The second part about MJ's post is true (about the lying) but the first part is speculation, and definitely not "true enough". It shows a complete ignorance about what people do within their own definition of marriage. Who knows... maybe it was Mrs. Wiener posting the pics using her husband's account. Or maybe they posted it together. The fact is, you can't judge him for that. You can judge him for the knee-jerk defensiveness, however.

You have to be kidding me. By that logic, it's possible their definition of marriage allowed Bill Clinton to the be the father of their child. Hmmm?

Quote:

The difference with Republicans who get caught with their pants down is the hypocrisy. We don't see Wiener going around and saying how evil sex messaging is.

As I've stated, this is a clever thing Democrats have done. They take no moral stand, so when they get caught failing, they aren't hypocrites. Kudos!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 89
Anthony Weiner can NEVER resign and the picture posted by E# shows exactly why. He takes the entire Democratic party and turns them into a reality television show mixed with South Park!

Obama Beats Weiner!!! Obama is already going to be recorded as a failure of a president. Why not give all the future college kids something to snicker about while they are paying off our 40% larger national debt in just three years!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'd call it an educated guess. I assume that when he married his wife he took an oath. It's not uncommon. Granted, it is possible that he might have taken an oath that promised fidelity and faithfulness but included an option for sexting other women.

It's not the oath that matters, actually. It's the definition of 'faithfulness', silly. No provision needs to be made for sexting if the couple's understood definition of cheating doesn't include it.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's not the oath that matters, actually. It's the definition of 'faithfulness', silly. No provision needs to be made for sexting if the couple's understood definition of cheating doesn't include it.

I don't know about others, but I really don't care what their marriage allowed. He's a still a public servant who's judgement was so bad, he used social networking to send pictures of his dong. Then he lied about it. A lot. This is one pathological liar that demonstrates amazing stupidity.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #22 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's not the oath that matters, actually. It's the definition of 'faithfulness', silly. No provision needs to be made for sexting if the couple's understood definition of cheating doesn't include it.

Fair enough. I understand that some on the left like to squish around the traditionally accepted meanings of words (like "faithfulness" and "freedom" et al).

But, again, I'm going on an educated guess here. I've never met a woman for whom this kind of conduct would be expected or acceptable from their spouse or serious boyfriend.

Granted my experiences may limited and, perhaps, I don't meet enough liberal democrats for whom this kind of conduct is just fine.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Really? I haven't seen that reported anywhere. Or are you making unfounded assumptions?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erica-..._b_874221.html

And many other places as well.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The second part about MJ's post is true (about the lying) but the first part is speculation, and definitely not "true enough". It shows a complete ignorance about what people do within their own definition of marriage. Who knows... maybe it was Mrs. Wiener posting the pics using her husband's account. Or maybe they posted it together. The fact is, you can't judge him for that. You can judge him for the knee-jerk defensiveness, however.

The difference with Republicans who get caught with their pants down is the hypocrisy. We don't see Wiener going around and saying how evil sex messaging is.

Pppppth! That's some stupid bullshit from you.
post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

He's a still a public servant who's judgement was so bad, he used social networking to send pictures of his dong.

This, I don't care about.
Quote:
Then he lied about it.

This, I object to.
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erica-..._b_874221.html

And many other places as well.

That he broke an oath in his marriage? Are you somehow party to the oath they took and the understanding of fidelity they had?
post #27 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Fair enough. I understand that some on the left like to squish around the traditionally accepted meanings of words (like "faithfulness" and "freedom" et al).

But, again, I'm going on an educated guess here. I've never met a woman for whom this kind of conduct would be expected or acceptable from their spouse or serious boyfriend.

Granted my experiences may limited and, perhaps, I don't meet enough liberal democrats for whom this kind of conduct is just fine.

Try Kasidie.com

Now, I'm not a swinger. Until my wife and I agree otherwise, that's over the line of infidelity in our marriage. But if you are aware of much in this world, it must be that people can be happily married, and faithful, and still have sex with other people, much less flirt explicitly online. And lots of them are conservative Republicans. Well... financially conservative, anyway.
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But if you are aware of much in this world, it must be that people can be happily married, and faithful, and still have sex with other people, much less flirt explicitly online. And lots of them are conservative Republicans. Well... financially conservative, anyway.

I already admitted that I'm aware that some like to squish around the traditionally accepted meanings of words like "faithfulness." Those on the left do this most frequently. I suspect those conservative Republicans you're referring to in your example are simply being hypocritical...but the liberals just change the meaning of the words.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...

The difference with Republicans who get caught with their pants down is the hypocrisy. We don't see Wiener going around and saying how evil sex messaging is.

Yea that's always the refuge for democrats in these things. The hypocrisy card. Weiner was a bit of a moralizer though as a crusader against objectifying women. Go look up his objections to some public art.
post #30 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I already admitted that I'm aware that some like to squish around the traditionally accepted meanings of words like "faithfulness." Those on the left do this most frequently. I suspect those conservative Republicans you're referring to in your example are simply being hypocritical...but the liberals just change the meaning of the words.

How about the meaning of the word "conservative"?
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This, I don't care about.

I don't care in terms of what it means for his marriage. What I do care about is that he could be stupid enough to do that as a public figure. I mean, really? He actually considered the risk of discovery to be acceptable? Or was he just reckless? Either way, his judgement is abysmal.

Quote:

This, I object to.

You know, I'm sorry, but I don't think you do. You've been pretty clear in the past that lying about a marital issue doesn't affect one's job and shouldn't cause a person to resign.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How about the meaning of the word "conservative"?

What about it? I suspect it is a label that gets applied broadly and incorrectly in many cases. I also think it is a label claimed by some who clearly do not behave that way in reality.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That he broke an oath in his marriage? Are you somehow party to the oath they took and the understanding of fidelity they had?

From the article...
Supposedly Abedin knew about Weiner's sexting tendencies before they married, and accepted his explanation that he would stop after marriage. That was wishful thinking. Women (and men) tend to delude themselves that marriage will somehow change their mate's character.

Don't know if there was an oath, but there was a promise by Weiner implied here. This has been fully reported on by multiple media sources.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

From the article...
Supposedly Abedin knew about Weiner's sexting tendencies before they married, and accepted his explanation that he would stop after marriage. That was wishful thinking. Women (and men) tend to delude themselves that marriage will somehow change their mate's character.

Don't know if there was an oath, but there was a promise by Weiner implied here. This has been fully reported on by multiple media sources.

Jeez... did YOU read the article? The author is no more privy to the Wiener marriage than you are. Didn't you see the word, 'supposedly' right there in your quote? It's supposition that's the problem.

Honestly, that article is absolutely idiotic for a number of reasons.
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Jeez... did YOU read the article? The author is no more privy to the Wiener marriage than you are. Didn't you see the word, 'supposedly' right there in your quote? It's supposition that's the problem.

Honestly, that article is absolutely idiotic for a number of reasons.

I have read multiple articles on this actually. And seen at least one interview where his wife had stated this. This was the easiest to find article that referenced it. You made a claim it was not reported on. But I misunderstood your claim, it does not list the vows taken at marriage, but it does speak to promises that apparently had been made. If you do a little more looking, you will find that it is indeed in other articles as well. And if you don't like the source, you will find other sources that report much the same thing in a different story format.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I have read multiple articles on this actually.

Really? This topic interests you that much? Whatever shakes your maraca, apparently...
Quote:
And seen at least one interview where his wife had stated this.

Great! That's the information I'm asking for. Can you point me to where this was reported, instead of speculation in support of an argument against my criticism against speculation? Thanks.
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Really? This topic interests you that much? Whatever shakes your maraca, apparently...

This is priceless. You ask him for sources. He provides one. You try to take that apart. He explains he's read more. Then you mock him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Great! That's the information I'm asking for. Can you point me to where this was reported, instead of speculation in support of an argument against my criticism against speculation? Thanks.

I want to live in your world tonton...the world in which the the assumption and the norm is exceptional corner cases of women who marry men and don't actually get (or apparently want) any serious vows of fidelity and faithfulness and/or their definitions of fidelity and faithfulness allow for us to take pictures of our cocks and send them to other women including and especially porn stars.



This guy's a classless, thoughtless, lying, untrustworthy, slutty cad. Just admit it and move on.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

This is priceless. You ask him for sources. He provides one. You try to take that apart. He explains he's read more. Then you mock him.




I want to live in your world tonton...the world in which the the assumption and the norm is exceptional corner cases of women who marry men and don't actually get (or apparently want) any serious vows of fidelity and faithfulness and/or their definitions of fidelity and faithfulness allow for us to take pictures of our cocks and send them to other women including and especially porn stars.



This guy's a classless, thoughtless, lying, untrustworthy, slutty cad. Just admit it and move on.

Regardless of his marital situation, being a public figure he admittedly must have known he would have gotten lots of flak had his silly tendencies become public. I'm not arguing with you there. He made his bed and he should lie in it. But people should stop judging him for anything other than being careless, and then reacting in a wholly dishonest way.
post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

But people should stop judging him for anything other than being careless, and then reacting in a wholly dishonest way.

That's wishful thinking. People will each judge him based on their own moral code.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Really? This topic interests you that much? Whatever shakes your maraca, apparently...


Great! That's the information I'm asking for. Can you point me to where this was reported, instead of speculation in support of an argument against my criticism against speculation? Thanks.

Umm, when I post here I have taken to doing a bit more research before I post knowing the people that post here and their tendeancies towards doing what you have just done. I can say I have not seen the pictures of which the post is about and have no desire to, but ia m interested in how his wife reacted especially given some here saying it was not a big deal.

I would have to search for that interview as I did not see it on the web, it was on CNN I believe when I was riding on the Rose Fleet Naval vessels this past Thursday it was playing in their dining area. Over and over again... \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner?