or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner?

Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner? - Page 2

Poll Results: Can another rep. take the punishment of resignation in place of Anthony Weiner?

• 12% (1)
    Yes
  • 87% (7)
    No
8 Total Votes  
post #41 of 89
This question is now moot, as the latest headlines say Weiner apparently intends to step down.

That is, of course, unless he's lying again.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #42 of 89
Well, as this saga comes to an end, the poll reflects pretty much what I thought it would. It is amoral to shirk personal responsibility and let someone else accept punishment on your behalf. Neither party does any good in such a situation. The guilty party escapes without accepting responsibility and facing punishment for his misdeeds. The party who would attempt to take the bullet for the guilty is letting someone else escape justice. That's clearly amoral as well.

So, we are in agreement. All of us. And that's great. Because...

We now can all agree that even if that Jesus fellow really did exist and died on a cross, it would be completely amoral for him to take a punishment on behalf of other guilty parties--and it would be equally amoral for the guilty parties to allow an innocent to take their punishments for them. The idea of the "sacrifice" of Christ is disgustingly amoral.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #43 of 89
I knew exactly where this thread was going. So predictable, BR.

You don't even ask people to explain their position, you explain it for them.

About time to start another Christian-bashing thread, isn't it?

post #44 of 89
And yet you still voted no.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And yet you still voted no.

You have yet to ask me to explain why I voted no or how I reconcile that with my Christian beliefs.

But you're not at all interested in that. No, you started this thread with the express intent of playing a "gotcha!" game with Christians.

post #46 of 89
Quote:

Well, as this saga comes to an end, the poll reflects pretty much what I thought it would. It is amoral to shirk personal responsibility and let someone else accept punishment on your behalf. Neither party does any good in such a situation. The guilty party escapes without accepting responsibility and facing punishment for his misdeeds. The party who would attempt to take the bullet for the guilty is letting someone else escape justice. That's clearly amoral as well.

We now can all agree that even if that Jesus fellow really did exist and died on a cross, it would be completely amoral for him to take a punishment on behalf of other guilty parties--and it would be equally amoral for the guilty parties to allow an innocent to take their punishments for them. The idea of the "sacrifice" of Christ is disgustingly amoral.

Do you really mean amoral or do you mean immoral?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #47 of 89
I think it is kind of a weird idea that you can live a horrible life, murder millions, then right before you die you accept Jesus as your personal savior and you get into heaven.

It reminds me of last minute bidders on eBay. BOOM - and I get into heaven in the last three seconds.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I think it is kind of a weird idea that you can live a horrible life, murder millions, then right before you die you accept Jesus as your personal savior and you get into heaven.

It reminds me of last minute bidders on eBay. BOOM - and I get into heaven in the last three seconds.

Yes, God's grace is a strange mystery to us. Many of us have a difficult time conceiving of someone being so forgiving.

post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Do you really mean amoral or do you mean immoral?

You are correct. The common usage is unfortunately improper. I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I stand corrected. The Christ sacrifice is immoral.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #50 of 89
Quote:

The Christ sacrifice is immoral.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on that subject.

post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Yes, God's grace is a strange mystery to us. Many of us have a difficult time conceiving of someone being so forgiving.

Yup, except for the whole sending charitable, moral, benevolent non-believers to hell simply for not believing based on a dearth of evidence. There's that whole thing.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I knew exactly where this thread was going. So predictable, BR.

You don't even ask people to explain their position, you explain it for them.

About time to start another Christian-bashing thread, isn't it?

Not a surprise. If only he could use his powers for good.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #53 of 89
Quote:

Yup, except for the whole sending charitable, moral, benevolent non-believers to hell simply for not believing based on a dearth of evidence. There's that whole thing.

BR, I guess you'll have to resolve your concerns, doubts and questions about God and His ways with God Himself. I wish I could help, but I doubt I can.

post #54 of 89
I don't, really. You know, since the Christian god is nothing more than a despicable character from Babylonian mythology. I only bring these issues up because grown-ass adults still believe in this nonsense and base their decisions that affect sane people on destructive fairy tales.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #55 of 89
Quote:

I don't, really. You know, since the Christian god is nothing more than a despicable character from Babylonian mythology. I only bring these issues up because grown-ass adults still believe in this nonsense and base their decisions that affect sane people on destructive fairy tales.

okay \

post #56 of 89
Quote:

Not the same situation. Nobody said you will escape justice, just eternal damnation. Different things altogether.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Not the same situation. Nobody said you will escape justice, just eternal damnation. Different things altogether.

Oh, my God.

This is total bullshit. Since when has heaven been defined as absence of damnation? But with further punishment? You're lying.

Heaven has always and will always be defined as glory, eternal happiness. And the question about how a mass murderer who 'finds Christ' in his heart in his dying breath deserves this glory while Mahatma Gandhi does not remains.
post #58 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Oh, my God.

This is total bullshit. Since when has heaven been defined as absence of damnation? But with further punishment? You're lying.

Heaven has always and will always be defined as glory, eternal happiness. And the question about how a mass murderer who 'finds Christ' in his heart in his dying breath deserves this glory while Mahatma Gandhi does not remains.

No, everyone will be judged. Only God will decide what the outcome is, no matter what you, me, or any other says.

"Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

"The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of LIfe was cast into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:11-15

All will be judged. No exceptions
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #59 of 89
I swear all that just sounds so silly. I read this and think...wow, people ACTUALLY believe this horseshit.

So how do you deal with the conflict between John 3:16 and this other bit of nonsense? Seems like yet another contradiction in a poorly written bedtime story.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #60 of 89
Quote:

I swear all that just sounds so silly. I read this and think...wow, people ACTUALLY believe this horseshit.

So how do you deal with the conflict between John 3:16 and this other bit of nonsense? Seems like yet another contradiction in a poorly written bedtime story.

Where does John 3:16 talk about judgement?

If you want to talk to someone about their religion and what they believe be prepared to know what you are talking about WRT their beliefs. It does not say you will not be judged. It says you will not perish.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #61 of 89
Quote:

If you want to talk to someone about their religion and what they believe be prepared to know what you are talking about WRT their beliefs. It does not say you will not be judged. It says you will not perish.

It says you will not perish but have eternal life. What, you really implying that Jesus is pulling a little switcheroo here with the language? Eternal life in hell? Is Jesus a lawyer now, too?

I've never seen a Christian twist scripture THIS hard before. You're scrambling to reconcile things that just don't fucking make any sense together.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #62 of 89
Quote:

You don't get it. After Christ's sacrifice, there is still judgment at the pearly gates, but the ONLY judgment is whether you have Jesus in your heart. From there it's either heaven, glory, eternal joy, or hell and eternal damnation and suffering. Jesus is the only factor involved.
post #63 of 89
Quote:

This question is now moot, as the latest headlines say Weiner apparently intends to step down.

That is, of course, unless he's lying again.

Weiner did the right move today and resigned.Now the Liberals will start hopefully to get their act together.
post #64 of 89
Quote:

You don't get it. After Christ's sacrifice, there is still judgment at the pearly gates, but the ONLY judgment is whether you have Jesus in your heart. From there it's either heaven, glory, eternal joy, or hell and eternal damnation and suffering. Jesus is the only factor involved.

It is worse than that, even. Jews don't believe in hell - so not only did Christianity add extra good stuff for evil people that repent at the last minute, it also added extra bad stuff for people who do not accept Jesus.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #65 of 89
Who do I point a finger at for ending all my fun here?

Damn, damn, damn! Weiner exposed! Seriously, someone wanted to end this fun?!?!?!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #66 of 89
All the hypocritical one's should take this opportunity to resign.

Seriously if he wants to tweet pictures of his dick, so what? It's easy to be judgemental, especially if you find it foul, like me, but I'm not him and it's not my place to step in and make judgements about something that's personal (not personal enough though) to him.

I haven't read any of the artocles on it and so all I know is that he has a wife and there's some things happening with other women. I don't know if he's harrassed anyone or crossed lines that shouldn't be crossed. I do know he lied, but what kind of society do we think we have? One that has to know the truth about things that are private or be damned?

Just more pandering to the holier than thou crowd if you ask me.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #67 of 89

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #68 of 89

I promise to gleefully appreciate any double entrendre's created with Vitters name.

post #69 of 89

Obama and Pelosi are a part of the Republican lynch mob? Fascinating.

post #70 of 89
Quote:

No, I get it. BR And you are trying to claim I have said something I have not. Just because a person says something now does not mean you will not have to stand judgement. The laws you will stand under will not be dismissed. The outcome will be as it should.

I will be out of reach for about a week, so this may be my last post for a while.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #71 of 89
It started with the Republicans. It continued with several Democrats. I'm very pissed at Obama and Pelosi and the rest who defended Clinton but left Weiner limp and out in the cold.

I don't see the Politicaloutsider Conservative lynch mob out for David Vitter, either. Why are you not calling for his resignation? Do you think tweeting your penis is worse than soliciting prostitution?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #72 of 89
Quote:

It started with the Republicans. It continued with several Democrats. I'm very pissed at Obama and Pelosi and the rest who defended Clinton but left Weiner limp and out in the cold.

I don't see the Politicaloutsider Conservative lynch mob out for David Vitter, either. Why are you not calling for his resignation? Do you think tweeting your penis is worse than soliciting prostitution?

I didn't call for his resignation. I did the exact opposite. Can you please make several more sentences like the one above. They make me giggle like a Japanese school girl.

post #73 of 89
Quote:

Do you think tweeting your penis is worse than soliciting prostitution?

I would also like to know Republicans' and Libertarians' reply to this question.
post #74 of 89
Quote:

I would also like to know Republicans' and Libertarians' reply to this question.

I think this is all a distraction.

post #75 of 89
Quote:

I think this is all a distraction.

Ah yes. The typical dodge the question when the real answer might make a conservative look bad reply.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I didn't call for his resignation. I did the exact opposite. Can you please make several more sentences like the one above. They make me giggle like a Japanese school girl.

Thinking about giggling Japanese School girls would make me hard like a prostitute soliciting Republican if I weren't so racist...

Aren't stereotypes fun!
post #77 of 89
Jazzy, do you think Wiener should have resigned?
post #78 of 89
Quote:

Thinking about giggling Japanese School girls would make me hard like a prostitute soliciting Republican if I weren't so racist...

Aren't stereotypes fun!

Well it's too bad you are so racist. Perhaps then your rage wouldn't make you so impotent.

post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Who do I point a finger at for ending all my fun here?

Damn, damn, damn! Weiner exposed! Seriously, someone wanted to end this fun?!?!?!

This is not humor but a perverted individual that needs help asap.I feel sorry for his parents and his wife.
post #80 of 89
Quote:

Oh, my God.

This may surprise you, but I agree. This is something I've never been comfortable with. Christians believe that only through Christ will they find eternal salvation. My question is: Does that really mean that something like 4.5 billion non-Christians go to hell? I have a lot of trouble with that. The only way out of that would be if, in the immediate moments before death (at the moment of death perhaps), they have an epiphany and suddenly accept Christ. I suppose that is possible. What I do not believe is that God would condemn billions to eternal hell just because they never even had the opportunity to know Jesus. I believe more in a "final judgement" of one's beliefs, actions, etc. This is inconsistent with many protestant teachings, but since I also don't believe the bible is completely and totally the word of God, I'm OK with that (that's another topic, but in short I believe some of the bible is, and some is not. There is not question it has been edited and revised for many reasons by mankind).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Can someone else step down for Anthony Weiner?