or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card

post #1 of 84
Apple's annual back to school promotion for college bound Mac buyers begins tomorrow, offering a $100 iTunes Store gift card rather than bundling a free iPod as it has in previous years.

The new promotion, as it appears in marketing materials depicted by MacRumors (pictured below), notes the deal begins June 16 and runs through September 20.

While the deal highlights "$100 to to spend on the Mac App Store," ostensibly "so you can get Pages, Numbers and Keynote for your studies. And still have plenty left for your study breaks," the fine print details that the credit is redeemable for any iTunes content, including the iOS App Store, iBooks, Mac App Store, and iTunes movies and music.

This year, Apple will add Mac OS X Lion and Final Cut Pro X to its Mac App Store software offerings, which currently include Aperture, iWork apps and iLife apps (although the latter are currently bundled on new machines at no cost).
post #2 of 84
That deal sucks...
post #3 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That deal sucks...

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #4 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple figures that anyone who wants an iPod already has one. Sales have been declining since the iPhone's launch. And what better way to spur on Mac App Store/iTunes Store/iOS App Store purchases?

BS. Apple is being cheap here. Apple should offer then a $200 gift card.
post #5 of 84
Quote:

BS. Apple is being cheap here. Apple should offer then a $200 gift card.

Apple doesn't have to give a discount at all. They do.

What is WITH people and this sense of entitlement? Not just from Apple; overall...

post #6 of 84
Quote:

That deal sucks...

Students get a pretty good deal anyway with Educational pricing. Apple does not need to give away an additional $229 (price of an 8GB iPod touch) to sell a MacBook to them.

Students can now get a white MacBook for $799 ($899 less $100 iTunes card) or a 13" low-end MacBook Pro for $999 ($1099 less $100 iTunes card).

That's a good deal !!
post #7 of 84
Quote:

Lol.

Ummm, no. More likely Apple has decided that their laptop products & pricepoints are sufficiently attractive to students now, and that therefore they don't need to discount them so heavily.

Sad for those who were looking forward to a new (albeit slightly crippled at only 8gb) iPod Touch.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #8 of 84
I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.
post #9 of 84
noexpectations, If someone buys an Apple computer right now, they're not going to have to pay for Lion.
post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes. For most people, the first $30 will go right back to Apple for OS X Lion.

Lion is free to new buyers of Macs.
post #11 of 84
Anyone who bought a Mac since the Lion announcement gets a free upgrade. So that first $30 will NOT go back into Lion.
post #12 of 84
I hope it's at least a gift card that isn't linked to my Apple account, so I can sell it online or something.

And I needed a new iTouch, my old one is dying.

F***.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #13 of 84
Well folks, Apple "wannabe" newbie here - I had been waiting to purchase my 1st ever Mac for the past 6 months. I have been reading the forum on this site and a few others and researching Macs, and had come to the decision to wait until the Back to school promotion, as two of my siblings had got free ipods over the past two years.
I was getting impatient, as the deal seemed delayed compared to previous years, and grew very excited at the news that an announcement was just around the corner.
Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the announcement - I own neither a Mac nor an ipod, and was really looking forward to entering the world of Apple. A $100 itunes card is not the sort of enticement I had been expecting, and I will now probably wait a full year to see if a better deal is offered - or perhaps even go with the much more affordable PC option, which I had been sure I would not do.
I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!
\
post #14 of 84
Quote:

On the other hand, $100 is not a very good promotion when your competition is giving away XBOXes.

It might be that the product is unattractive enough that you need to throw in a separate game system to make it worthwhile.
post #15 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Ummm, no. More likely Apple has decided that their laptop products & pricepoints are sufficiently attractive to students now, and that therefore they don't need to discount them so heavily.

Except the computers keep the same discounts they've always had... because it's the Education Store...

It was never the computers being discounted (well, it was ALWAYS the computers being discounted, because they've ALWAYS been discounted, but that's not the point), it's the iPods. People have shown they don't want as many iPods anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Men View Post

I guess Apple is really past the point where they are interested in courting the newbie and gaining new converts!

If the only thing that makes a Mac "worth it" for you is a free iPod, then you're not in Apple's target market, anyway. They'll never miss you.

post #16 of 84

Does this mean I can't expect a refresh to the Macbook Air line until mid-September? These promotions typically clear out old inventory, so I'm wondering if they're going to wait until then to release the new line. That would be a very big bummer.
post #17 of 84
Perhaps not now, when $ is very tight, but maybe later - the ipod was something I was really looking forward to having as part of the experience - Thanks for your encouraging words - nice to know that opinions can be expressed without fear of reprisal or condescension! Jerk.

Quote:

Except the computers keep the same discounts they've always had... because it's the Education Store...

It was never the computers being discounted (well, it was ALWAYS the computers being discounted, because they've ALWAYS been discounted, but that's not the point), it's the iPods. People have shown they don't want as many iPods anymore.

If the only thing that makes a Mac "worth it" for you is a free iPod, then you're not in Apple's target market, anyway. They'll never miss you.
post #18 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Anyone who bought a Mac since the Lion announcement gets a free upgrade. So that first $30 will NOT go back into Lion.

Ahh...good to know....thanks!
post #19 of 84
They need to work on branding the "iTunes" gift cards better. I think it's confusing for people now since it can be used on anything from software to comics books now.

Doubly so when you consider that they also have "Apple Gift Cards" which can't be used digitally.
post #20 of 84
Kids today need to get a clue. Apple doesn't need to do any promotions at all and they certainly don't owe any students anything. Whatever promotions they may have had in the past doesn't mean that they'll always have similar promotions.

If you don't like it, then go get a free X-box instead from Microsoft. Or wait until next year and see what promotions Apple will be having. Meanwhile, people like me who pay full price for their Macs will use them and enjoy them. I don't remember any promotions when I was a kid. If I wanted something, I'd save up the money and go and buy it, and I didn't whine about it either.
post #21 of 84
Stop making sense. You know how well that goes over.

post #22 of 84
As Apple prospers the special deals get poorer, but on the flip side the cost of OS updates has dropped by $100. More people benefit from that than the few who can take advantage of educational deals.
post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Students get a pretty good deal anyway with Educational pricing. Apple does not need to give away an additional $229 (price of an 8GB iPod touch) to sell a MacBook to them.

Students can now get a white MacBook for $799 ($899 less $100 iTunes card) or a 13" low-end MacBook Pro for $999 ($1099 less $100 iTunes card).

That's a good deal !!

True! I was disappointed too but the MacBook pros are a great deal compared to a pc laptop.

I have been pc for 2 years now and was looking at another pc but all the ones I have seen for under $1000 are junky. Don't get me started on pc trackpads!!! Also as good as windows 7 is, OS X is 10 times better.

Lets put it this way. I have to reboot my windows laptop at least every few days and daily if I use a java app. OS X? Almost never did I reboot.

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.
post #24 of 84
Quote:

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the announcement - I own neither a Mac nor an ipod, and was really looking forward to entering the world of Apple. A $100 itunes card is not the sort of enticement I had been expecting, and I will now probably wait a full year to see if a better deal is

This is likely the direction they will go from now forward.

Quote:
\

more like they are now at the point where folks are buying the computer for the computer and not for the free xbox. I mean iPod

And remember Apple isn't required to do anything

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #25 of 84
I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this. I did not realize that I was commenting in the "I am a pompous ass who lives to ridicule others opinions" section. I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.
Todays youth! Geesh!
post #26 of 84
Quote:

I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this.

You absolutely have this right. To suggest that buying a computer is only worth it if it comes with a free iPod, however, is abject nonsense.

Quote:
I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.

Your sarcastic tone aside, yes, this should be done.

Quote:
Todays youth! Geesh!

Indeed. Today's youth.

post #27 of 84
Quote:

I was not aware I did not have the right to be disappointed and to express this. I did not realize that I was commenting in the "I am a pompous ass who lives to ridicule others opinions" section. I will try harder to respect my elders, who always worked hard for everything they ever got and did not ever think to complain about being disappointed by an expectation/hope that was not met.
Todays youth! Geesh!

I just think you should quit bitchin
post #28 of 84
This deal does suck. I usually took the ipod, put it on amazon, and would have a sale within an hour.
post #29 of 84
I agree - I have complained, and I will stop. All I was really saying is that the deal is shitty compared to the past few years. Just didn't like the sanctimonious preaching from on high in response. Bitchin over!
post #30 of 84
I've been looking forward to getting an iPod Touch, and if there isn't anyway to get an Apple Gift card I'm going to be rather upset. At least iTunes won't get any of my money for a few months.

Still, please, please, let them have gotten pictures of discarded, now-revised, material.
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifan View Post

Still, please, please, let them have gotten pictures of discarded, now-revised, material.

Oh, come on. Honestly?

post #32 of 84
Quote:

Oh, come on. Honestly?

Yes. Surprisingly I'd prefer a $200 iPod Touch to a gift card. I know, I'm absolutely insane.
post #33 of 84
I agree especially when Microsoft is offering a free X-Box with PC purchase.

Quote:

That deal sucks...
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksmith22 View Post

This deal does suck. I usually took the ipod, put it on amazon, and would have a sale within an hour.

Maybe Apple didn't like the devaluing of iPods that happened every summer.
post #35 of 84
I agree the free Apple TV wold have been nice. However, Apple generally gives these promotions to clear out inventory before an update. It is possible Apple isn't updating the iPod Touch or it isn't looking to clear channel inventory prior to new models.

Quote:

I'm glad that Apple is no longer giving away a free iPod....jeez....how many do we need?

Why not a free Apple TV? I bet a lot of dorm rooms could use one of those.
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Maybe Apple didn't like the devaluing of iPods that happened every summer.

I was selling them easily for $10 under list so I wouldn't say there was too much supply.
post #37 of 84
One thing about this: it might be more attractive to parents.

We all know that it's actually the parents that purchase the laptop... Not some kid that saved up his grocery store clerk made cash. And parents might like this because they can be told that it can be used to buy educational software like iWork and Aperture (if they are a photography student for instance).

Also... As for value of the card... you have to remember that just because an iPod is priced at $200 that doesn't mean it costs Apple $200. Probably closer to $100 in materials... ie the price of the card this year.

Finally, a lot of people already have iPods or iPhones and don't need another... But would really appreciate $100 of free iTunes store stuff... I know I would!
post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree especially when Microsoft is offering a free X-Box with PC purchase.

Some people are talking about $100 as if it represents a years salary or as if we were living in a third world country. If these frugally minded people go with the free Xbox offer, how will these people ever afford to buy any games, the good ones are pretty pricey and they might be stuck with an Xbox without a single game to play on it if they choose to go that route.
post #39 of 84
But an Xbox plays netflix to a TV, can get Zune video, and has access to tons of used games for around 5 to ten dollars. Microsoft's deal makes this seem really weak.
post #40 of 84
Doesn't every student already own three iPods by now?

It makes sense that the promotion is iTunes credit since their focus is now on cultivating a garden of users with healthy (paid) app-etites in order to attract developers. Though $100 credit is not really $100 value. Those cards routinely sell for 25-50% off their face value in brick and mortar stores.

However, the current line-up of macs offers more value than they ever have (particularly for international purchasers). Part of me wishes that I needed a new one, just so I had a reasonable excuse to update.

When are retina-display Macs predicted again?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card