or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Robert Reich

Robert Reich

post #1 of 24
What do you think of Robert Reich as an economist?
post #2 of 24
Not much.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #3 of 24
Who?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #4 of 24
If he supports the concept of a privately owned "US central bank" with the accompanying debt-based "economy", a system which the founders repeatedly warned us against adopting, then absolutely no.. I think very little bout him as a economist.

But he's definitely a step up from the sociopathic Friedman/Chicago school set... they don't come more predatorial and frankly *uncivilized* that they.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #5 of 24

post #6 of 24
I respected him some years ago not because I agreed with him but because he could articulate his point of view well. I lost that when he came up with the most ridiculous argument to support the public option for health insurance.
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Who?

He was on the Clinton cabinet as his economic adviser.He is a professor at the University of Berkeley.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

He was on the Clinton cabinet as his economic adviser.He is a professor at the University of Berkeley.

Yea. He's like Ben Stein but without the hollywood career and professorship instead.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yea. He's like Ben Stein but without the hollywood career and professorship instead.

Was Ben Stein an economist? I thought he was a teacher at one time in his career.
post #10 of 24
Quote:

Was Ben Stein an economist? I thought he was a teacher at one time in his career.

Anyone?

Anyone?

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Anyone?

Anyone?

You expect people to get 25 YEAR OLD references?

Nostalgia doesn't grow up so well.

As for Reich, he's a hack.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #12 of 24
Quote:

http://www.benstein.com/bio.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

A great, recent article. Thanks for the link. Any gen y-er or post 80's kid who isn't familiar with this 25 year-old reference needs to go over to Netflix or iTunes or BT and familiarize themselves this instant!
post #14 of 24
Quote:

Anyone?

Anyone?

You think you are such a wise ass siting in Hong Kong criticizing what other people post.Grow Up!
post #15 of 24
^ I think some people aren't getting the movie reference.

http://youtu.be/dxPVyieptwA

I find this clip hilarious in a whole new way.
post #16 of 24
Quote:

You think you are such a wise ass siting in Hong Kong criticizing what other people post.Grow Up!

A lot of what growing up is, Marv, is learning not to jump to conclusions.

Now go and rent (or torrent) Ferris Bueller's Day Off and get yourself educated.
post #17 of 24
Quote:

A great, recent article. Thanks for the link. Any gen y-er or post 80's kid who isn't familiar with this 25 year-old reference needs to go over to Netflix or iTunes or BT and familiarize themselves this instant!

They won't understand it. The premise is too flawed and foreign to them because the movie was made in an age before cell phones. It's all about miscommunication and hearsay becoming hilarious exaggeration. How does that follow in the age of Twitter, Facebook and smartphones?

post #18 of 24
Quote:

They won't understand it. The premise is too flawed and foreign to them because the movie was made in an age before cell phones. It's all about miscommunication and hearsay becoming hilarious exaggeration. How does that follow in the age of Twitter, Facebook and smartphones?

Man that didn't even occur to me. The water tower with Save Farris on it falls way to @savefarrisbueller. I'm sure some sharp writer could make a modern version that uses what you mention and come out brilliant.
post #19 of 24
Quote:

A lot of what growing up is, Marv, is learning not to jump to conclusions.

Now go and rent (or torrent) Ferris Bueller's Day Off and get yourself educated.

I saw that movie years ago and it was no big deal to me.I So big deal Stein was in there.
post #20 of 24
Quote:

back up your statement!
post #21 of 24
Quote:

I saw that movie years ago and it was no big deal to me.I So big deal Stein was in there.

My point was, if you can stop with the knee-jerk reactions for a moment and pay attention, that my 'anyone' comment wasn't a criticism of you or your question in any way. It was a joke that was clear to anyone familiar with the film, and I thought it marginally witty, to be honest.

Marv, it's clear that your heart is in the right place, and you and I agree on most of the issues here. But you've really got to take a step back from the reactionary defensiveness.
post #22 of 24
I'm officially sorry I mentioned Ben Stein. Had I known marvfox was so obtuse and was going to threadjack this one I never would have mentioned Stein.
post #23 of 24
Quote:

back up your statement!

How about making shovel ready less shovel ready because it actual might help a few white males.

Quote:
REICH: I am concerned, as Im sure many of you are, that these jobs not simply go to high-skilled people who are already professionals or to white male construction workersI have nothing against white male construction workers, Im just saying there are other people who have needs as well.

post #24 of 24
Quote:

My point was, if you can stop with the knee-jerk reactions for a moment and pay attention, that my 'anyone' comment wasn't a criticism of you or your question in any way. It was a joke that was clear to anyone familiar with the film, and I thought it marginally witty, to be honest.

Marv, it's clear that your heart is in the right place, and you and I agree on most of the issues here. But you've really got to take a step back from the reactionary defensiveness.

I understand where you are coming from.Thanks
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Robert Reich