or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nexus S 4G added to Apple's infringement complaint

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nexus S 4G added to Apple's infringement complaint

post #1 of 79
Apple this week added a number of additional Samsung smartphones and tablets to its complaint against the company, expanding the number of devices it believes have copied the look and feel of its iPhone and iPad.

In making the additions to its complaint, Apple has asserted that Samsung has been "even bolder" than other competition in copying products like the iPhone and iPad. As detailed by Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, Apple is attempting to convince the court that Samsung's devices "blatantly imitate" its own.

Along with the more aggressive language included in the latest filing, Apple has singled out a number of new Samsung devices of copying the hardware and software found on the iPhone and iPad. They are:
Droid Charge
Exhibit 4G
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Prevail
Galaxy S (i9000)
Gravity
Infuse 4G
Nexus S 4G
Replenish
Sidekick
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Galaxy S II
These new devices are listed in addition to the hardware detailed in the original filing, in which it claimed Samsung has "slavishly" copied its iPhone and iPad designs. The hardware originally accused of infringement is:
Captivate
Continuum
Vibrant
Galaxy S 4G
Epic 4G
Indulge
Mesmerize
Showcase
Fascinate
Nexus S
Gem
Transform
Intercept
Acclaim
Galaxy Tab

In all, eight hardware and software patents are cited in the complaint, with two taken out and three new ones added into the amended filing. Samsung is also accused of violating five design patents, and four trade dress applications.

Today is also the deadline for Samsung to provide Apple's outside counsel samples of its already-announced upcoming products, including the Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Infuse 4G, and Droid Charge. The mandate that Samsung must show its upcoming prototypes to Apple was set by a federal court back in May.

Samsung quickly responded in kind, and filed a motion to see Apple's next-generation iPhone and iPad. But in court documents revealed this week, Apple characterized Samsung's efforts as nothing more than an attempt to "harass" the iPhone maker.

Referring to Samsung as "the copyist," Apple said its competitor doesn't have a need to see the next-generation iPhone or iPad, because Apple is not accused of copying Samsung's products. In addition, while the products Apple has requested to see have been announced, Apple's own devices are shrouded in secrecy until they are publicly revealed.

Apple's filing refers to the company as "one of the most secretive" in the world, and also noted that new product announcements from Apple are "major events in the technology industry." The language was used an attempt to create a clear distinction between Samsung's products and Apple's.

Samsung has fired back at Apple with its own lawsuits, filed in April, in which the Korean electronics giant accused the iPhone maker of patent infringement. The lawsuits, filed in Seoul, Tokyo and Germany, are related to optimization and reduction of power usage during data transmission, 3G technology for reducing date-transmission errors, and a method of tethering a mobile phone to a PC to share a data connection.
post #2 of 79
Samsung, as i always say, is the fastest copy machine of Apple products.

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

"Apple sells premium products at premium prices to premium customers." Cheapskates need not apply 

post #3 of 79
I agree with adding the Tab 10.1...when I first saw a picture of it, I thought it was an iPad. Samsung is not even trying to make it look original at this point.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #4 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalTaste View Post

Samsung, as i always say, is the fastest copy machine of Apple products.

As a new player in the tech industry, and with a penchant for buying others' technology from vast gluts of wealth, it's no wonder.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Droid Charge
Exhibit 4G
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Prevail
Galaxy S (i9000)
Gravity
Infuse 4G
Nexus S 4G
Replenish
Sidekick
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Galaxy S II
Captivate
Continuum
Vibrant
Galaxy S 4G
Epic 4G
Indulge
Mesmerize
Showcase
Fascinate
Nexus S
Gem
Transform
Intercept
Acclaim
Galaxy Tab

Hmm...some of those device names seem a bit...well... and

post #6 of 79
So many models, almost as if Samsung is throwing crap against the wall and hoping something sticks?
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

As a new player in the tech industry, and with a penchant for buying others' technology from vast gluts of wealth, it's no wonder.

It part of a broader trend of Asian cultures adopting Western ideas, fashion, and culture. Samsung should also copy "Designed by Apple in California" on their mobile products

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 79
I think this device could be construed as prior art for Samsung's claim of tethering a phone to a computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9dpXHnJXaE

I agree with Apple's case though, Samsung's own designs are far from special. I guess their design team thinks it's all fine to just rip off Apple's unique designs, but are so amazed when Apple complains about it. Samsung seems to have a similar mentality to Chinese companies, ripping off other company's designs and IP so they can make low-quality electronics for half the price.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree with adding the Tab 10.1...when I first saw a picture of it, I thought it was an iPad. Samsung is not even trying to make it look original at this point.

I agree the hardware looks very similar; however, I'm not certain what else they could do. All tablets are going to look similar just like LCD TVs look similar.
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Hmm...some of those device names seem a bit...well... and

It's surprised they don't have an iGalaxy in there somewhere.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I agree the hardware looks very similar; however, I'm not certain what else they could do. All tablets are going to look similar just like LCD TVs look similar.

No one will mistake a Motorola Xoom for an iPad.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 79
Quote:

Given how bad the Xoom's sales figures are that's mostly because nobody will ever see one in the wild
post #13 of 79
Quote:

A "new player" in the tech industry? Are you serious?

Its funny when Apple claims that they were the first to introduce a "touch screen style phone".

Are they forgetting about LG's Prada? LG's design was first introduced at the iF Design awards back in September 2006. They even won a design award for it.

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. )

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #14 of 79
Quote:

Seriously?

That reminds you of that iPad? Is it because it's black, and give me point. If seen Engadget video demo and I am not seeing the similarities.

Have any of actual seen some of these devices? Why are stock android device on the list? Why is this suit against the phones?

It doesn't make any sense. I agree with Apple on Touch Wiz only, Touch Wiz looks a lot like iOS, but the phone hardware and physical design don't resemble iPhones. If this suit was against Touch Wiz alone, then yeah Samsung better pay up. But it's not it's for all their devices, maybe its because Samsung can compete, or maybe the want a cross licensing patent agreement. I don't know, but there something else going on.

I made a list on some other forum, but really do you guys honestly thing the below devices infringe? They are stock android devices.

Some Devices:

Galaxy Prevail

Is Apple this because it black and a rounded Rectangle?

Nexus S

Where's the resemblance? It's vanilla android.

Replenish

Seriously, that devices is included?

Sidekick 4G

Who mistook this for an iOS device?

Samsung Transform

Once again stock android

Samsung Intercept

Stock Android and doesnt even look like an iPhone

Acclaim

No comment the picture is enough

And the Galaxy Tab
post #15 of 79
Apple doesn't give a rat's ass about the threat of this junk from an actual sales point of view.
Their objection is the same as for the Amazon 'appstore'... pollution of the brand.
People are going to buy these crap 'tablets' and walk away with the impression that the whole category is junk. THAT hurts Apple.
Same thing for people who get burned or infected via a wide open 'appstore' and transfer that experience to Apple.

Brand protection isn't just vanity. Its really important.
post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple doesn't give a rat's ass about the threat of this junk from an actual sales point of view.
Their objection is the same as for the Amazon 'appstore'... pollution of the brand.
People are going to buy these crap 'tablets' and walk away with the impression that the whole category is junk. THAT hurts Apple.
Same thing for people who get burned or infected via a wide open 'appstore' and transfer that experience to Apple.

Brand protection isn't just vanity. Its really important.

And you think others dont have a "brand"?

post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Its funny when Apple claims that they were the first to introduce a "touch screen style phone".

Are they forgetting about LG's Prada? LG's design was first introduced at the iF Design awards back in September 2006. They even won a design award for it.

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. ) ...

You are vastly over-simplifying a very complex situation.

Apple winning this suit in no way means that LG can sue Apple or is destined to win if they do.
post #18 of 79
Quote:

Nobody has a brand as valuable as Apple's. Period. So Apple has a vested interest in protecting the reputation of its brand. And being confused with inferior copycat devices from Samsung is important to fight against. People tend to be stupid in that repsect. "It's cheaper and it looks just like the iPad" comes to mind.
post #19 of 79
Quote:

New player?

Quote:

It part of a broader trend of Asian cultures adopting Western ideas, fashion, and culture. Samsung should also copy "Designed by Apple in California" on their mobile products

Love it. "Designed by Apple, Stolen by us, purchased with borrowed Chinese money by you."

Quote:

If Apple wins in this lawsuit, LG will have precedent to sue Apple. Not only that LG will sue, EVERY single manufacturer of touch screen style phones. (Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, etc. )

Ehhh..that's not the same as the iPhone. If you look up its capabilities and specs, it's really nothing like the iPhone. It just looks like a monochrome version.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #20 of 79
Quote:

Prior tablets do not resemble the iPad. The slate announced just prior to the iPad and likely just based on stolen IP does not even look like the iPad.

Quote:

Apple never claimed to originate touch screen phones. These LG prada comments are always fun though.

Quote:

Whose brand is Apple polluting? What are you trying to say. I am a huge fan of brevity, but it helps to express a complete thought.
post #21 of 79
Quote:

The Xoom uses a different material for the back and is a different aspect ratio (just like the Samsung); however, hide the logos and I think people could be mistaken. The hardware doesn't look that different. It is an LCD display surrounded by a black border.
post #22 of 79
[QUOTE=Galbi;1884188]A "new player" in the tech industry? Are you serious?

I'm looking at Wikipedia's article on the LG Prada. The article says "it was announced on December 12, 2006". The article at Wikipedia on iPhone says IT was announced on January 9, 2007. I don't think Apple put the iPhone design together in less than 30 days. The Prada looks too crude to use even as a reference design. Why would Apple ape that?

There is considerable reluctance on the part of its foes to ascribe any innovation to Apple. Or to find any weakness in its competitors.
post #23 of 79
Quote:

Sure. Samsung has a 'brand' that associates with clunky peripherals, TV screens (I own one) and 'parts'.
Not sure of your point. Apple is the #1 brand in the world today. That's not hyperbole.
Just saying they're justified in making sure that people don't think some plastic POC is an iPad, which is what Samsung is obviously trying to do.
post #24 of 79
Quote:

Ummm that doesn't even look like an Iphone.
post #25 of 79
Quote:

so true. one could so easily mistake the Samsung galaxy 10.1 for an ipad. i mean it has no home button and the big words SAMSUNG and GOOGLE on the back of it. not to mention android honeycomb. it might take days before you figure out you aren't using an ipad.
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are vastly over-simplifying a very complex situation.

Apple winning this suit in no way means that LG can sue Apple or is destined to win if they do.

Care to explain why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Ummm that doesn't even look like an Iphone.

Read Apple's new arguments for its "first introduction of a touch screen type phone on the market". Apple wasnt the first. LG was first. I'm just pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple never claimed to originate touch screen phones.

They just did. Direct quote from the modified accusation.

Quote:
Before Apple’s introduction of the first iPhone product, no other company was offering a phone with these features. Prior mobile phones were often bulkier and contained physical keypads. Some had a rocker-style navigation button and sets of buttons for numbers and calling features. Others had a front panel with a partial or full QWERTY keyboard and a screen. None had the clean lines of the iPhone, which immediately caused it to stand apart from the competition.

post #27 of 79
Quote:

The LG phone was not multi-touch or gestural, it was a very old fashioned style of touch-screen and had more in common with a Palm device than it did with an iPhone. Ironically Apple did create the touch-screen PDA market back with the Newton - though they didn't make any money from it.

Are any of the current crop of touchscreen phones using that non gestural LG style UI? If not the Apple's comments are essentially correct.

Of course if you want to be very precise about the words 'first touch screen phone' then yes, it was still Apple - way back in 1983

post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The LG phone was not multi-touch or gestural, it was a very old fashioned style of touch-screen and had more in common with a Palm device than it did with an iPhone. Ironically Apple did create the touch-screen PDA market back with the Newton - though they didn't make any money from it.

Are any of the current crop of touchscreen phones using that non gestural LG style UI? If not the Apple's comments are essentially correct.

Of course if you want to be very precise about the words 'first touch screen phone' then yes, it was still Apple - way back in 1983

Read the new Apple's statement. No mention of gestural function. They specifically mentioned touch screen.

You obviously know what I meant by "touch screen phone".

If you are still using corded phone in this day and age, I pity you.

post #29 of 79
I for one am happy to see Apple protecting their IP vigorously
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #30 of 79
Quote:

Read the new Apple's statement. No mention of gestural function. They specifically mentioned touch screen.

You obviously know what I meant by "touch screen phone".

If you are still using corded phone in this day and age, I pity you.

You're saying that I know what you mean by touch-screen phone but I don't - you seem to think that phone implies mobile-phone but that touch-screen doesn't imply a rich gestural interface.

Apple certainly mean a multi-touch mobile phone when they claim to be first, and if you can't accept that they're just being sloppy in their phrasing then you have to beat yourself up for being sloppy in your own
post #31 of 79
Quote:

The Xoom uses a different material for the back and is a different aspect ratio (just like the Samsung); however, hide the logos and I think people could be mistaken. The hardware doesn't look that different. It is an LCD display surrounded by a black border.

That's my point. There is such a thing as design, otherwise, you wouldn't be able to tell a Lexus RX from a BMW X5 from a Chevy Traverse from a Ford Edge. SUV/Crossovers have a similar configuration, but different designs. You can spot the differences from far away. I am not going to see a Xoom from across the room and think it's an iPad.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 79
This is ridiculous, at worst Samsung's Touchwiz resebles iOS. Their phones look like pretty much every other phone on the market.
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Are these available on eBay? I want one!!!!!!

I kinda love the way the handset looks like a car - alas only prototypes were ever built
post #34 of 79
Wow, this is just getting unreal. Apple is claiming that anything that looks cool is their idea. Nexus S? Give me a break. Tab 10.1 not only looks different from iPad2 but also looks BETTER, lol.
Apple fanbois always have double standards. No surprise there.
Apple keeps on motivating me to shun its products. Thanks, Apple, you are such a great motivator, lol.
post #35 of 79
Quote:

Care to explain why?

Read Apple's new arguments for its "first introduction of a touch screen type phone on the market". Apple wasnt the first. LG was first. I'm just pointing that out.

They just did. Direct quote from the modified accusation.

Where in the quote you posted did Apple say they were the first with a touch screen? The quote only says that none of the others had the clean lines and same functions, which is true. Show me another pre-iPhone phone that had multi-touch and gestural control.
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by androider View Post

Wow, this is just getting unreal. Apple is claiming that anything that looks cool is their idea. Nexus S? Give me a break. Tab 10.1 not only looks different from iPad2 but also looks BETTER, lol.
Apple fanbois always have double standards. No surprise there.
Apple keeps on motivating me to shun its products. Thanks, Apple, you are such a great motivator, lol.

And that's where you lost all credibility.
post #37 of 79
if any of you have ever designed something, say a website or a log, you would understand what is involved in creating something not only distinctive but in the case of a user interface the amount of hard work it takes to be successful. There was not GUI like the iPhone before the iPhone. Tablets looked nothing like the iPad, they had pens were clunky and nobody bought them. Apple spends years developing hardware, software and an entire eco system around these products only to have copy cat companies rush out a poor imitation that can confuse the consumer and make profits for such a company without the huge amount of R&D spending. At least Microsoft has given it a shop with the Win7 phone to show it is possible to invent a product that is not a complete rip off of an Apple product. If you don't agree with this than you are probably the same type of person that shops on Canal St in NYC looking for counterfeit Prada hand bags.
post #38 of 79
While I agree partly on the Galaxy S/SII (the Tab is actually - mostly because it's 7" - entirely different than the iPad) - the Nexus S on the list clearly shows what this all is about:

"We cannot afford to go versus google, so we will go against the strongest competitor using googles android"

Just that Apple is stupid going versus their main hardware supplier, that's way to risky, given they actually have consumer demand to meet. (and Samsung may very well allocate their ressources otherwise, once they got enough market share thanks to their copying)
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidhero View Post

Just that Apple is stupid going versus their main hardware supplier, that's way to risky, given they actually have consumer demand to meet. (and Samsung may very well allocate their ressources otherwise, once they got enough market share thanks to their copying)

Samsung is a vast and diverse conglomerate and it's quite used to competing with its own customers. They won't try to punish Apple as a customer because doing so would result in a mass exodus of all their other customer/competitors.
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nobody has a brand as valuable as Apple's. Period.

If you decide to omit (in order):

Google
Microsoft
Wal Mart
IBM
Vodafone
Bank of America
General Electric

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42180604/And_...rand_Is…

Then yes. Fanbois... Sheeesh!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nexus S 4G added to Apple's infringement complaint