or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › My hat is off to you, sir

My hat is off to you, sir

post #1 of 5
http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/republ...-marr?s=mobile

Quote:
Senator Roy McDonald. "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters. "You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. "I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

The time of religiously motivated bigotry and hatred is slowly coming to an end. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. Our grandchildren will look back in shame on those who fought so hard against gay rights. They will also fondly remember those who fought the good fight against prejudice.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The time of religiously motivated bigotry and hatred is slowly coming to an end. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. Our grandchildren will look back in shame on those who fought so hard against gay rights. They will also fondly remember those who fought the good fight against prejudice.

Question: What if someone opposes gay marriage, but not on religious grounds--and happens to be someone that has no problem with gays whatsoever? Is that person a bigot as well?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Question: What if someone opposes gay marriage, but not on religious grounds--and happens to be someone that has no problem with gays whatsoever? Is that person a bigot as well?

Why would someone who has no problems with gays, outside of religious grounds, be opposed to gay marriage?

The gay community (IMHO) made an error of judgement when pursuing equal rights... if they made their pitch for civil unions.. ie a contract, as opposed to marriage (which traditionally has a religious/spiritual connotation), the fracas with (religious) bigots could have been sidestepped.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Why would someone who has no problems with gays, outside of religious grounds, be opposed to gay marriage?

The gay community (IMHO) made an error of judgement when pursuing equal rights... if they made their pitch for civil unions.. ie a contract, as opposed to marriage (which traditionally has a religious/spiritual connotation), the fracas with (religious) bigots could have been sidestepped.

Maybe they are opposed to government recognized marriage all together?
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

It's telling that you apply this to other people's views. How would you apply it to your own?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › My hat is off to you, sir