or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Top execs from Apple, Samsung meeting to discuss patent suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top execs from Apple, Samsung meeting to discuss patent suit

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
The "highest level" of executives from Apple and Samsung have been meeting to discuss their legal dispute, a hearing for the case revealed on Friday.

Apple attorney Harold McElhinny made the disclosure in response to questioning from U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh at Friday's hearing, Reuters reports.

"Can't we all just get along here?" Koh asked, suggesting the companies resolve the case outside of court. "I will send you with box of chocolates, whatever," she added.

McElhinny replied that the case has drawn the attention of executives "at the highest levels" of the two companies. "Can we get them together?" Koh asked. "They are in fact meeting and talking," McElhinny said.

In April, Apple sued Samsung alleging blatant copying of Apple's technology, interface and style. The Korean electronics giant quickly responded with a countersuit accusing Apple of infringing on data transmission-related technologies.

Last month, a judge granted Apple's request to see samples of Samsung's unreleased tablets and smartphones that have been accused of infringement. Samsung fired back with a similar motion asking to see "final, commercial versions" of Apple next-generation iPhone and iPad.



However, Apple characterized Samsung's filing as harassment in a countermotion earlier this week." The iPhone maker alleged that "the copyist" shouldn't need to see any of its products since Apple is the plaintiff. Apple referred to itself as "one of the most secretive" companies in the world, describing its new product announcement events as "major events in the technology industry."

Late Thursday night, Apple added a dozen of Samsung's products, including the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Nexus S 4G, to the suit, noting that the company has been "even bolder" than other competitors in "blatantly imitating" the iPhone and the iPad.
post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The "highest level" of executives from Apple and Samsung have been meeting to discuss their legal dispute, a hearing for the case revealed on Friday.

So, who blinked here? I am guessing Samsung. :-)

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #3 of 43
Samsung can probably get away with it; look at the crappy icons, clearly not a copy.

J.
post #4 of 43
I wonder at what level of hierarchy these executives are. Can't help much if there're younger and more childish ones in there.. You stop it. No, you stop it...

I guess a box of chocolate is a good enough incentive.
post #5 of 43
Maybe they are fighting with billion dollar wads of cash?
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

So, who blinked here? I am guessing Samsung. :-)

Nobody blinked - they just agreed to stare across a table in person for a bit, in stead of via lawyers
post #7 of 43
Samsung-Apple discussion at the highest level (http://bit.ly/k5I8tO)

Steve Jobs - We like you as our manufacturer. It's been a good relationship. Thanks for all the chips and touch screens. But just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Yoon Woo Lee - Just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Steve Jobs - Stop imitating us.

Yoon Woo Lee - Stop imitating us.

Steve Jobs - This is driving me crazy. Tim, you take over.

Tim Cook - Look here, guys. We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Yoon Woo Lee - We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Tim Cook - Look, we don't want to fight. Let's discuss this like professionals.

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's discuss like professionals.

Tim Cook - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Yoon Woo Lee - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Tim Cook - This is frustrating. Jonny, you give it a try.

Jonathan Ives - See here, mate. Our design is ... magical. You can't just steal it, can you?

Yoon Woo Lee - Our design is magical. You can't just steal it .... can you?

Jonathan Ives - Oh, bullocks. Your turn, Ron.

Ron Johnson - I got it, Jonny. Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Ron Johnson - I give up. I am going to JC Penney. In fact, I am going to pay them $50 million dollars to hire me so that I can get away from this mess.

Yoon Woo Lee - I am going to JC Penney ....

Steve Jobs - One more thing ... stop wearing the black mock turtleneck. You've got it on backwards. And lose those tortoise rim glasses.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steve Jobs - One more thing ... stop wearing the black mock turtleneck. You've got it on backwards. And lose those tortoise rim glasses.

Ok - you need to send this to SNL, it's funnier than about 90% of what they do.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Maybe they are fighting with billion dollar wads of cash?

Like a pillow fight! Except without all the lingerie models.
post #10 of 43
I remember in the 60's(I was a kid!) when Japan was making knock offs of just about every product made in the west. One example that always sticks with me was a cigarette lighter originally made by Ronson was copied identically but sold for pennies on the dollar. With a magnifying glass the Japanese knock of was apparently made by R. onson (a period after the first letter). Back then no one tried to defend the fact this was blatant stealing. It's funny how these days so many people seem to actually defend the companies that make knock offs. I guess this is because Samsung et al don't claim their products are made by A.pple ... so it's ok.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I remember in the 60's(I was a kid!) when Japan was making knock offs of just about every product made in the west. One example that always sticks with me was a cigarette lighter originally made by Ronson was copied identically but sold for pennies on the dollar. With a magnifying glass the Japanese knock of was apparently made by R. onson (a period after the first letter). Back then no one tried to defend the fact this was blatant stealing. It's funny how these days so many people seem to actually defend the companies that make knock offs. I guess this is because Samsung et al don't claim their products are made by A.pple ... so it's ok.

Samsung is a South Korean company.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Samsung is a South Korean company.

Your point being? I was simply discussing any company in any country that makes knocks offs. Japan was simply an example from the past!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Samsung is a South Korean company.

I get the impression he knows that. He was using Japan as the example from the 60s. I was a kid then too and remember the knockoffs well.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Nobody blinked - they just agreed to stare across a table in person for a bit, in stead of via lawyers

This is nothing but a pissing contest between two BIG companies. Which one can shoot the furthest.

And the lawyers keep getting richer.............
post #15 of 43
There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.

Comparing Samsung to some back-alley outfit is silly. This is a major global corporation.

If they are using Apple IP, they are most certainly welcome to do so, but they'll need to pay for it. Apple cannot relent on matters like this.
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I wonder at what level of hierarchy these executives are.

From Apple, Tim Cook (COO/acting CEO) and Bruce Sewell (general counsel) would definitely be at the table, possibly Peter Oppenheimer (CFO) as well. Cook drives a hard bargain. Maybe their lead intellectual property attorney.

Their equivalents at Samsung would be on the other side of the table.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

This is nothing but a pissing contest between two BIG companies. Which one can shoot the furthest.

I'll bet on Steve. He can tip over an unopened soda can from 15 feet away!

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #19 of 43
Reminds me of the office episode where michael was imitating charles minor when he got upset.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Your point being? I was simply discussing any company in any country that makes knocks offs. Japan was simply an example from the past!

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

Innovation rules. You just have to look at Apple to see that. The US companies are all at a significant economic disadvantage to the Asian companies, but Apple, by being innovative, is beating them all at their own game and is practically the only US company doing so.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Samsung-Apple discussion at the highest level (http://bit.ly/k5I8tO)

Steve Jobs - We like you as our manufacturer. It's been a good relationship. Thanks for all the chips and touch screens. But just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Yoon Woo Lee - Just one more thing, it turns out you've been copying our products

Steve Jobs - Stop imitating us.

Yoon Woo Lee - Stop imitating us.

Steve Jobs - This is driving me crazy. Tim, you take over.

Tim Cook - Look here, guys. We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Yoon Woo Lee - We're partners, right. Just stop stealing our designs. This is the mother of all plagiarism.

Tim Cook - Look, we don't want to fight. Let's discuss this like professionals.

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's discuss like professionals.

Tim Cook - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Yoon Woo Lee - How about showing us your next designs so that we can see if you're still copying us?

Tim Cook - This is frustrating. Jonny, you give it a try.

Jonathan Ives - See here, mate. Our design is ... magical. You can't just steal it, can you?

Yoon Woo Lee - Our design is magical. You can't just steal it .... can you?

Jonathan Ives - Oh, bullocks. Your turn, Ron.

Ron Johnson - I got it, Jonny. Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Yoon Woo Lee - Let's not play games. Are you going to stop imitating our designs or not?

Ron Johnson - I give up. I am going to JC Penney. In fact, I am going to pay them $50 million dollars to hire me so that I can get away from this mess.

Yoon Woo Lee - I am going to JC Penney ....

Steve Jobs - One more thing ... stop wearing the black mock turtleneck. You've got it on backwards. And lose those tortoise rim glasses.

Heh. Clever

Steve (if he's involved) would likely have worked the room with his magnetic charisma (see Cupertino City Council video). It's legendary. The Koreans would have swooned. But that's hypothetical. It's more likely that Tim Cook and maybe Schiller or Ive were involved. As for what the Samsung execs may have said, they probably would have (behind closed doors) said something like, "well who should we copy? Motorola? Their designs are CRAP!"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 43
I just got a warm fuzzy.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.

Terrible analogy. Other than reading time, all those items you listed are objects that do nothing but show a still form.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Ermmm...The iPad says "Made in China" on it.

Therefore, according to the above, the iPad is "cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon".

I'm not certain that your premise is correct, because it leads inexorably to a conclusion that is palpably false.

HTH.


Oohhhhhh..... burned.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all). .

In all fairness, it wasn't all stupidity or complacency. Currency exchange rates swung massively during the 80's, making Japanese production less economical. Then Japanese salaries and benefits skyrocketed as labor shortages developed. Some of the same things that are starting to happen with China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Ermmm...The iPad says "Made in China" on it.

Therefore, according to the above, the iPad is "cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon".

I'm not certain that your premise is correct, because it leads inexorably to a conclusion that is palpably false.

He also said "Then they started making *better* products than the West" so YOUR conclusion is incorrect. Prof Peabody is 100% correct. A few decades ago, Japan started out by making cheap crap and gradually got better at it - good enough to almost completely take over the electronics industry and take a huge bite out of the auto industry.

China also started out by making cheap crap and is getting better at it.

The major difference is that the Japanese did not blatantly copy products as much as the Chinese do.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

Innovation rules. You just have to look at Apple to see that. The US companies are all at a significant economic disadvantage to the Asian companies, but Apple, by being innovative, is beating them all at their own game and is practically the only US company doing so.

I have heard that products from Japan were referred as "junk" and "tinny" in the 1950's. Japan didn't have many natural resources other then its people. They were post war exports from "Occupied Japan", not copies of items from the United States. At the same time Japan was producing beautiful art objects, but to a more refined customer. When you consider the culture with an attention to minute detail that produces art forms such as bonsai, it becomes apparent how a country without a steel industry approaches automobile manufacturing. Now that approach has evolved into an advantage for companies such as Honda. The didn't get "stupid and complacent and lost it all".
Korea and China have a different history. Samsung is a major suppler of quality innovative components for Apple. there is just that issue of coping the iPhone, iPad and that lousy, but sleek black, printer that I regrettably purchased.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There are lots of fake Rembrandt's and Picasso's and Rolex's out there too and there's a market for them. Those items are for stupid people. They are the ones who buy the Galaxy Tabs. Let 'em.

Silliness
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

Hyundai cars made their mark making cars that used old but proven technology cheaply. They were first perceived as 'cheap' second rate cars. That image is rapidly changing. Korean cars like Hyundai and Kia are rising in the car ranks fast.
post #29 of 43
Amusingly, Samsung has to do battle with cheap Chinese knock-offs all the time. Of course the Chinese are insanely blatant, calling their wares "Samsumg" or some such. I believe I recall even seeing a report of a full on "Samsung factory" in China that was entirely counterfeit. I guess Samsung figures if they don't put "Appel" on their products they're being fairly virtuous.

Strange to see meta-weirdness like the Galaxy Tab, a knock-off of the iPad, getting cloned in China and marketed as the "aPad" and running a Chinese variant of Android. I get the feeling the Chinese aren't even sure who they're copying at this point.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #30 of 43
Looking at the images, it's actually quite disgusting. Samsung should be ashamed. It's pathetic. Just put yourself in Apple's shoes and you'd be really pissed off that someone copied your cool stuff too.
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Oohhhhhh..... burned.

Argument is almost correct. It should be Designed in China-Korea.

Many good products and product components are made in China-Korea but most of these are designed in the West and manufacturing quality is to Western standards.

I don't think consumers should reward companies that steal designs. Samsung is the worst because not only does it steal designs, it then has the gall to market it's products by trashing Apple's. Shame on those copiers.

Back to the Japanese argument, they have mostly stopped copying and now their products are looking uglier.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hyundai cars made their mark making cars that used old but proven technology cheaply. They were first perceived as 'cheap' second rate cars. That image is rapidly changing. Korean cars like Hyundai and Kia are rising in the car ranks fast.

Hyundai own Kia. The sad part is that up until even a year ago, Korean-made, sold-in-Korea cars substituted a lot of important metal parts for plastic or very weak composites. In Korea, they fall apart very quickly and cost a LOT of money.

In the west, both companies sell cheaply. The company gets away with that because in Korea, they make up for it. They own 90% of the domestic market with Samsung/Renault being the other 6 or so percent, and foreign cars the last 4%.

These 'high quality' Korean companies are scabs. They look sparkling and clean abroad because westerners are on the 'believe in Asia' kick. They don't know how poorly Hyundai and Samsung treat people in Korea. They don't know that they pull stuff out of cars and apartment buildings and even ships to cut costs. Accidents (major ones) happen all the time because there is little to no support for safety as they companies only think of how to make bucks.

Again, Apple aren't fightin small time copycats. They are fighting megacorps many times larger than themselves, corporations that have been given special dispensation by their government to make as much money with as few restrictions as possible. Hyundai's former CEO is the president of S.Korea. They can do whatever they want there. Samsung aren't far off, and in fact, are larger than Hyundai, the largest company in the world.

Don't get nostalgic for the 1960's Japan that had NO money, no resources, had pretty much a burned, charred land to work with, and no influence around the world. This is in no way similar.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hyundai cars made their mark making cars that used old but proven technology cheaply. They were first perceived as 'cheap' second rate cars. That image is rapidly changing. Korean cars like Hyundai and Kia are rising in the car ranks fast.

Hyundai only started making decent cars when they setup a design house in Germany and hired half of Mercedes design team.

For all the rise of Korea and China, the west remain the designers of choice.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

They don't know that they pull stuff out of cars and apartment buildings and even ships to cut costs. Accidents (major ones) happen all the time because there is little to no support for safety as they companies only think of how to make bucks.

Anti-regulation Libertarians should pay attention here. This is what happens when there's not enough regulation. The situation is even worse in China.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Anti-regulation Libertarians should pay attention here. This is what happens when there's not enough regulation. The situation is even worse in China.

There is regulation, just not enforcement at all. Everything has a big money buffer so that people are paid off from low to high. Korea is rife with 'world's best' this or that mostly to do with amazing technology and regulations, but not one of them work or are in place. You only see police officers to put down protests. In my city (Bundang), there really are no threads that secure anything.

Samsung pay off reporters with golfbags of dosh, then sue people for reporting on it.

Rich people, rich companies, no control, lots of backstabbing and constant nationalist claims that echo a lot of pre sino-asian war Japan.
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
TouchMyApps - All things iPhone for those who like to touch
Reply
post #36 of 43
Interesting posts Shi, I have some good friends in SK, they pretty much echo you (but in a more positive way). The amusing thing here is Apple and Samsung each can threaten each other in many ways. Each item you mentioned probably can't influence Apple very much.

It is dangerous to mix politics and brand names. But it can be an investment in national prestige. Still, it would be better to have a good ecosystem for new companies.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

Innovation rules. You just have to look at Apple to see that. The US companies are all at a significant economic disadvantage to the Asian companies, but Apple, by being innovative, is beating them all at their own game and is practically the only US company doing so.

Agreed.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #38 of 43
Interesting arguments but fraught with flaws. I will explain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, for anyone old enough to remember, Japan was the Korea/China of the 1960's. If a product had "Made in Japan" on it, it was pretty much the same as today's "Made in China." In other words it was cheap crap, possibly made with child labour, probably full of toxic crap and destined to fall apart soon.

The iPhone is Made in "Today's China". Is it cheap crap?

Quote:
Just like China, Japan started off making illegal copies of Western products, which grew the industries and design skills needed to make their own products down the road. Then they started making *better* products than the West and practically took over the electronics industry for a while. (Then they got stupid and complacent and lost it all).

Japanese electronics companies have lost it all? That would be a surprise to Sony, Toshiba, etc. The rise of Korean and Chinese electronics giants has increased the competition significantly but only someone who has lost his marbles would say Japan has lost it all.

Quote:
If history hold true, the Korean and Chinese companies that go *beyond* the copying and make some truly innovative and *new* products will clean up in the market place and vanquish their competitors. Those that stick to just copying will be absorbed by those that do this. So, moral of the story is that Samsung, while on top now, is in danger of losing it all over the long term if they don't start being more innovative.

So Korea and China have not gone beyond copying? Who is Samsung copying in the use of OLED touchscreens on smartphones? Which western TV company are they "copying"? Which western flash memory company are they "copying"?

Who's one of the most (very few) successful TV company in the US? Hmmm, Vizio? How innovative are they? Ohhh, they sell cheap TVs. So that would be a US company copying Asian companies which are copying US?

Innovation is not just about industrial design and software. There is significant innovation in manufacturing in Asian countries that many US companies would dream to be able to replicate.

Quote:
Innovation rules. You just have to look at Apple to see that.

Yes, Apple is innovative. But here's how its innovation rules - every new iProduct creates a few hundred jobs in the US, but thousands in China. That victory is pretty bitter for those in the unemployment line.

Quote:
The US companies are all at a significant economic disadvantage to the Asian companies, but Apple, by being innovative, is beating them all at their own game and is practically the only US company doing so.

Apple's beating Asian companies at their own game? You have been saying that all Asian companies do is copy western companies. This logic would conclude in Apple is beating itself at its own game. Say what? Actually, there is no logic in your arguments. Nothing personal.

There is no question Asian companies have learned from western companies. But declare American innovation all you want - the US manufacturing sector has not stopped bleeding jobs regardless of innovation. The auto sector is only keeping jobs because of the powerful unions and protectionist laws (not that I'm completely against them).

Reality is that the US has to start rebuilding its manufacturing base, and start innovating in that sector - that's right; it has to start copying the Asian countries. Otherwise, unemployment will be structural (i.e. a permanent fact of life regardless of innovation). Design innovation is barely a moral victory if it continues to create more jobs abroad than at home: http://bit.ly/irijEI
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yes, Apple is innovative. But here's how its innovation rules - every new iProduct creates a few hundred jobs in the US, but thousands in China. That victory is pretty bitter for those in the unemployment line.

Erm, no. WWDC sold out completely, and was at least 50% iOS developers - most of whom would be from the US. That's 2000 people right there who's jobs were created by iProducts, and that's not including all the folks who couldn't get tickets.

Apple may only emply a very small number of people directly, but their ecosystems employ a lot of people even in the first world.
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Comparing Samsung to some back-alley outfit is silly. This is a major global corporation.

If they are using Apple IP, they are most certainly welcome to do so, but they'll need to pay for it. Apple cannot relent on matters like this.

You keep dreaming, Apple is going to loose just like they did with Nokia. You can have cell phone with a different arrangement of icons but you can't have a cellphone that can't transmit wireless data. Just like you can't have phone that uses GSM without paying for loyalties. Apple's IP in this arena is mostly useless, they're suing companies for icon arrangements and the companies are countersuing in the guts of what a cell phone is. If they plan to win any of these lawsuits they as Google desperately need the Nortel IP (under the current auction agreements) otherwise they will have to settle each one of these lawsuits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Top execs from Apple, Samsung meeting to discuss patent suit