or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple helping Facebook's 'secret' HTML5 project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple helping Facebook's 'secret' HTML5 project - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

The beauty of Flash is that it was where most of the adverts resided and so it was very easy to hid the ads.


With HTML 5 the adverts return with vengeance.

Hopefully adblock will still be able to block said HTML5 advertisements by the URL the ad is coming from and just replace it with some kind of blank banner image.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Hopefully adblock will still be able to block said HTML5 advertisements by the URL the ad is coming from and just replace it with some kind of blank banner image.

Savvy ads can hide it in Javascript in ways that will make much difficult to detect than a simple Flash blocker.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Savvy ads can hide it in Javascript in ways that will make much difficult to detect than a simple Flash blocker.

True, that never occurred to me, but with it being HTML5 it shouldn't put a dent on your CPU like Flash, so thats one upside to it.

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

True, that never occurred to me, but with it being HTML5 it shouldn't put a dent on your CPU like Flash, so thats one upside to it.

If they go with HTML5's Canvas element it could. I think MS still has the only browser engine that will HW accelerate Canvas.

But that's all beside the point. I'll take HTML5/CSS3/JS ads over an internet rampant with Flash any day.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 48
Facebook is starting to monetize its massive membership, and not just in ads. Games on FB generate revenue for both FB and the games developers. To wit, FB users buy Facebook credits, which are used to purchase virtual goods in these games. If users buy such credits in an iOS app, FB (and the FB developers) may have to pay 30% to Apple, based on iOS rules. I'm not sure how this is happening right now, but the potential is there for Apple to demand this 30%, which is potentially massive. Zuckerberg is heading this off by making sure web-based access is a viable if not superior FB experience for its users.
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which is why I had questioned MDriftMeyer's statement earlier in the thread, leading Anonymouse to suggest I didn't understand:
"Who the hell do you think brought HTML5 to the World? Apple."

No, I suggested that you didn't understand what it means to hold the position of "Editor" of a standard, since holding that position and having created the standard are not necessarily connected in any way. In other words, your statement, on its own, was effectively a non sequitur.
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

They is gonna get burned. Steve can chew them up and spit them out.

The last time I saw Steve he didn't look like he could chew up a bowl of puréed peas. I think it's safe to say the poor guys best days are behind him.

Probably best to refer to what "Apple" will do rather than what "Steve" will do.
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Facebook is starting to monetize its massive membership, and not just in ads. Games on FB generate revenue for both FB and the games developers. To wit, FB users buy Facebook credits, which are used to purchase virtual goods in these games. If users buy such credits in an iOS app, FB (and the FB developers) may have to pay 30% to Apple, based on iOS rules. I'm not sure how this is happening right now, but the potential is there for Apple to demand this 30%, which is potentially massive. Zuckerberg is heading this off by making sure web-based access is a viable if not superior FB experience for its users.

You are getting closer to what's going on. Just read that FB is seeking to put their own music reccomendation service on their site. Like Ping. Could be big. Both companies are smart. Apple, FWIW, writes (and host-sells!) better software.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Apple helping Facebook's 'secret' HTML5 project