or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 127
How tragic... now less people will be able to read their garbage.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Like it or not, the New York Post is most certainly a newspaper and Fox News is most certainly a news station. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased news source and Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source. That includes much of the mainstream media and even news sources like the BBC, which some people incorrectly label as being unbiased. Everybody has their agenda, and that also includes certain comedy channels.

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

If any news source resembles a propaganda machine it's fox news. They pioneered and perfected that whole pundit newsertainment with an agenda schtick. Roger Ailes is a genius. But not the good kind.
post #43 of 127
Sorry - off topic but store is down. Odd for a sunday?
post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybumps View Post

Sorry - off topic but store is down. Odd for a sunday?

It's weird. It's usually some re-jig of something or other, I would be surprised if there are new products.
post #46 of 127
Just checked out NYP on my iPad and noticed that there was a slight delay in the redirect.

Well, what do you know, they are using javascript for browser detection and redirection. Simply turn off javascript in the Safari settings to get around it.

Amateurs. :P
post #47 of 127
New York Post? Trash for semi-illiterates.

Though have to give it to them for their "Weiner Pulls Out" headline.

Ignorance can be fun in small doses.
post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Okay Mystic, Rot'nApple, Wigglesworth, I'm not finding the Firefox browser nor "crome" (sic) in the App Store. Oh, and Google Chrome doesn't show up either. I know that Opera is available, however that's one of three, not a good percentage.

Now I have no interest in jailbreaking my iPad, so let us know where we can find Firefox and Chrome for iPad in the App Store.

Or stop trolling, which incidentally violates the terms and conditions of use of AppleInsider.com.

Thank you.


'stop trolling'... How about start comprehending what you read?! And I qoute... From my post... "I checked on five browsers I have on my iPad, not opera or chrome, but those that I have"

I didn't say you'd find Firefox or Chrome in the app store. Nor did I claim at any time that they were available. I merely pointed out that the browsers I do have, for now, are not blocked from pulling up website in question is all. Jeez!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #49 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I think i just threw up in my mouth...

A lot of mainstream media is slanted and biased, but Murdoch and co take it to the extreme. Much of the content on Fox News is ignorant, divisive, xenophobic, morally righteous bullshit...

Yes, thank God for the unbiased Ed and factually balanced Rachel. Where would we get real news if not for the MSNBC talking heads?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd View Post

I don't read Murdoch papers, so I couldn't care less about this (actually, fewer people reading his publications is a good thing). But I just tried this on my iPad -- www.nypost.com does indeed redirect to "download the app", but m.nypost.com works just fine. An oversight, I assume, that they will correct when they notice it.

That is very perceptive of you. And for a first post, I am looking forward to your next post, as this one is informative.
post #51 of 127
Pay for view of NYT I can understand, but for New York Post? Mad?
post #52 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Oh, I was well aware that other iPad browsers work.

If I am to be corrected, at least I'd like my detractors to use examples that are actually valid. If you permit trollers to mindlessly respond with incorrect examples, you dilute the quality/integrity of this forum.

Do as you wish. It's your domain.

I'm just trying to improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here.

If you are aware that other iPad browsers work then why do they need to be listed? Your first sentence basically makes your second sentence irrelevant!

The only "noise" I hear is coming from you and your mischaracterization of what I posted!

You want examples?... Atomic Web, iLunascape, Sleipnir, Offline Pages, and Browser... Those are the five browsers on my iPad that I tested before I posted. I'm not sure of all the 540 that the app store pulled up when I typed in "Browser" in the search field.

My favorite quote from the 'Pearl Harbor' movie, "Tora, Tora, Tora"... "You want confirmation? (as the attack is in progress)... There's your confirmation!".

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmovie View Post

To call the NY Post a newspaper is like calling Fox New, news.
Last year they were giving the paper away for free and people were walking away.

Keep in mind that the NY Post and FOX News are both owned by Rupert Murdoch.
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, thank God for the unbiased Ed and factually balanced Rachel. Where would we get real news if not for the MSNBC talking heads?

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.
post #55 of 127
Who cares? There's so many news and information sites that aren't so greedy that it's no real loss. For those who really "must" have this rag, get Puffin or some other web relay site. Then you can get Flash, too.
post #56 of 127
As bad as NY Post is, I want to highlight one good thing. Their iPad subscription price is about half of the home delivery price. So at least they're offering it at a competitive price. It really disgusts me when companies are charging MORE for the online version than the print version.

Not that I'd subscribe to the Post either way, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

As bad as NY Post is, I want to highlight one good thing. Their iPad subscription price is about half of the home delivery price. So at least they're offering it at a competitive price. It really disgusts me when companies are charging MORE for the online version than the print version.

Not that I'd subscribe to the Post either way, though.

I noticed that, too. They have the pricing right.
post #58 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe we'd see more complaints if GoogleTV was successful.

I recall that the TV network content wasn't discriminating against just one company, they blocked other TV set-top box makers from doing the same thing, Boxee is another one they try to block, I think there others too. A parallel for NYP would be if they blocked every tablet.

Is the point that they're blocking it only on the iPad, or is the point that they're blocking any devices?
post #59 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.

Unfortunately that represents a population of over 75 million to draw from. Fortunately, most can't read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Who cares? There's so many news and information sites that aren't so greedy that it's no real loss. For those who really "must" have this rag, get Puffin or some other web relay site. Then you can get Flash, too.

We all should. Most original news sources come from a relatively small number of major news agencies like Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press, to name a few.*

And unless the customers, i.e., the mass media, are viable, they too will decline; and the bent will continue to become more hard core and lean more towards highest payer.

I would suggest that the days of any true 'free', if there were any content as we knew just a few years ago via the internet, are going fast. Copy & Paste are becoming the norm. And most of it is just plain FUD

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_agency
post #60 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle_eris View Post

Ed and Rachel are columnists, not reporters; they make no pretense at being unbiased. Fox News presents opinion as fact, and pretends to be biased. The entire network is nothing more than a shill for the right wing.

Unfortunately that represents a population of over 75 million to draw from. Fortunately, most can't read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Who cares? There's so many news and information sites that aren't so greedy that it's no real loss. For those who really "must" have this rag, get Puffin or some other web relay site. Then you can get Flash, too.

We all should. Most original news sources come from a relatively small number of major news agencies like Reuters, Canadian Press, Associated Press, to name a few.*

And unless they have the mass media are viable, they too will decline and the bent will continue to become more hard core and lean more to to highest payer.

I would suggest that the days of any true 'free', if there were any content as we knew just a few years ago, are going quickly. Copy & Paste are becoming the norm. And much of it is just plain FUD

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_agency
post #61 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, thank God for the unbiased Ed and factually balanced Rachel. Where would we get real news if not for the MSNBC talking heads?

I don't like MSNBC and I don't like Fox News, I loathe them both. They're both bad bad punditry, and they do seem to be equally ideologically driven, and frankly, bad politics, really pushing the boundaries of civility. They're more about getting your base fired up and less about trying arrive at meaningful solutions. I think it would be a false equivalency to think that FNC is a counterbalance to, say, CNN. At least CNN seems mildly balanced, center-left, most of FNC's pundits are pretty hard-right in my opinion. Not to say that I'm defending CNN or other network news, they are all pretty lame now, just that FNC and MSNBC seem to be the worst of the lot by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Is the point that they're blocking it only on the iPad, or is the point that they're blocking any devices?

I guess I don't know that one. But blocking a device category seems a lot fairer than blocking one device, so I don't think your GoogleTV example is equivalent.
post #62 of 127
The beginning of the death of the WWW.

It's already happening with Apple's App Store.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #63 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

Not really, I agree that all news stations have some bias, but Fox News is much more so, going to the extent of cutting quotes short to twist their meaning, to interrupting any guest they might have that is not on the right side of politics. (while I have seen that on other stations, usually the person hosting tries to moderate and give everyone a chance to speak)
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #64 of 127
This isn't the first time a site cuts off access only to the iPad of iPhone.

YouTube actually has a setting you can set when you upload a video that denies access to the video to "mobile devices". It's the stupidest thing in the world and I want to punch whoever at Google gave uploaders the ability to do that.

All devices need to be treated the same. Apple really should add official user agent spoofing to Safari, and the Youtube app.
post #65 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Not really, I agree that all news stations have some bias, but Fox News is much more so, going to the extent of cutting quotes short to twist their meaning, to interrupting any guest they might have that is not on the right side of politics. (while I have seen that on other stations, usually the person hosting tries to moderate and give everyone a chance to speak)

I haven't seen anyone better at trying to lead a guest to what he wants to be said than Chris Matthews. And cutting off those who don't say what he wants? He's the current King, dethroning Fox's Hannity at the end of the Bush era.

One plus in Fox's favor. If not for them, there are a lot of stories that I don't think would have seen the light of day. There's not any large right-leaning news organizations that I can think of. They provide some balance to MSNBC, ABC, NBC and most American newspapers (New York Times group of newspapers in particular)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #66 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I haven't seen anyone better at trying to lead a guest to what he wants to be said than Chris Matthews. And cutting off those who don't say what he wants? He's the current King, dethroning Fox's Hannity at the end of the Bush era.

One plus in Fox's favor. If not for them, there are a lot of stories that I don't think would have seen the light of day. There's not any large right-leaning news organizations that I can think of. They provide some balance to MSNBC, ABC, NBC and most American newspapers (New York Times group of newspapers in particular)

"Balance" isn't of value in news reporting, accuracy and truth are. So, the fact that they provide a right wing slant vs. other, more accurate, news outlets is not an argument in their favor. Fox is nothing more than a propaganda outlet for the right.
post #67 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"Balance" isn't of value in news reporting, accuracy and truth are. So, the fact that they provide a right wing slant vs. other, more accurate, news outlets is not an argument in their favor. Fox is nothing more than a propaganda outlet for the right.

Which one is the propaganda outlet for the left?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #68 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which one is the propaganda outlet for the left?

Of the ones you mentioned, only MSNBC intentionally has a political bias to the left, and, in their case, that's strictly a marketing decision, not an intent to promote a specific agenda, like Fox.
post #69 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

This isn't the first time a site cuts off access only to the iPad of iPhone.

YouTube actually has a setting you can set when you upload a video that denies access to the video to "mobile devices". It's the stupidest thing in the world and I want to punch whoever at Google gave uploaders the ability to do that.

All devices need to be treated the same. Apple really should add official user agent spoofing to Safari, and the Youtube app.

Google offers that because the ad revenue sharing from mobile devices is lower, or really, nonexistent because mobile youtube apps don't show ads, in phones, there's no way to add adds unless they put in a pre-roll. As unfortunate as that is, it's not a brand- or model-targeted block either, it's a block on the entire mobile device category.
post #70 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The beginning of the death of the WWW.

It's already happening with Apple's App Store.

It's also the death of paying one price for the entire Internet, too. When everything is applications instead of sites, you pay for every single site.

It's the opposite effect of being allowed to only pay for TV channels you want (cheaper that way); you'll be paying 10-20x as much for the 'appsites' you want than if the Internet would still exist.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #71 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source...

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels... facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.

I have to call you out on that. I would have to assume you've not spent much time abroad. America doesn't have mandatory voting the only people who vote are those who feel most strongly about political issues. Since moderates tend not to vote they also tend not to actively pursue information about political issues which means that there is no market for news sources which do not assume their audience has a particular political affiliation.

Although it's presented in a news style format, FOX is definitely not "journalism in action". It is quite well known that Rupert Murdoch stipulates that "person x" is a threat to his assets so the command is issued that "person x" is to go down and the facts are engineered to sway popular opinion against that person. Not lies, just convenient half-truths or engineered phrases that paint a picture over time. There is certainly room for different interpretations of many events, but just because an opinion theoretically (or actually) exists doesn't mean it is equally valid, "balanced" or even worthy or airtime.

I think that conservatives have difficulty identifying the difference between genuinely biased media and media which is not biased but is not affiliated with their own bias. I suppose they look at the people around them and everyone they know seems to think the same way they do so they put themselves in the middle, when in reality they are often on the very fringe of the spectrum

A good indication about the quality of the news source is what ratio of the talking is done by the interviewer compared to the person they are interviewing. A good interviewer will simply ask probing questions and prompt for further information if they know that the interviewer is lying.

A recent analysis of a series of interviews on climate change conducted by a notorious talk back radio host in Australia found that, on the subject of climate change, when interviewing guests who offered an opinion that the host agreed with in principle the guest spoke for 70% of the conversation and the host for 30%. When interviewing guests who gave explanations that the host disagreed with in principle the guest was only allowed to speak for 40% of the time and the host spoke for 60% of the time.

This technique is also used by Rush Limbaugh.

The fact that the interviewer said more that the person they were interviewing says a lot but the matter went further than that. During the discussion the host threw out a barrage of numbers and percentages and figures to supposedly underpin his claims. After the figures quoted were later falsified (wrong by a factor of 100,000x mind you) it was claimed that they were simply a hyperboleto make a point (which begs the question if the figures are not factual do you actually have a point worth making in the first place?).

That is bias.
post #72 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I have to call you out on that. I would have to assume you've not spent much time abroad. America doesn't have mandatory voting the only people who vote are those who feel most strongly about political issues. Since moderates tend not to vote they also tend not to actively pursue information about political issues which means that there is no market for news sources which do not assume their audience has a particular political affiliation.

Although it's presented in a news style format, FOX is definitely not "journalism in action". It is quite well known that Rupert Murdoch stipulates that "person x" is a threat to his assets so the command is issued that "person x" is to go down and the facts are engineered to sway popular opinion against that person. Not lies, just convenient half-truths or engineered phrases that paint a picture over time. There is certainly room for different interpretations of many events, but just because an opinion theoretically (or actually) exists doesn't mean it is equally valid, "balanced" or even worthy or airtime.

I think that conservatives have difficulty identifying the difference between genuinely biased media and media which is not biased but is not affiliated with their own bias. I suppose they look at the people around them and everyone they know seems to think the same way they do so they put themselves in the middle, when in reality they are often on the very fringe of the spectrum

A good indication about the quality of the news source is what ratio of the talking is done by the interviewer compared to the person they are interviewing. A good interviewer will simply ask probing questions and prompt for further information if they know that the interviewer is lying.

A recent analysis of a series of interviews on climate change conducted by a notorious talk back radio host in Australia found that, on the subject of climate change, when interviewing guests who offered an opinion that the host agreed with in principle the guest spoke for 70% of the conversation and the host for 30%. When interviewing guests who gave explanations that the host disagreed with in principle the guest was only allowed to speak for 40% of the time and the host spoke for 60% of the time.

This technique is also used by Rush Limbaugh.

The fact that the interviewer said more that the person they were interviewing says a lot but the matter went further than that. During the discussion the host threw out a barrage of numbers and percentages and figures to supposedly underpin his claims. After the figures quoted were later falsified (wrong by a factor of 100,000x mind you) it was claimed that they were simply a hyperbole—to make a point (which begs the question if the figures are not factual do you actually have a point worth making in the first place?).

That is bias.

Here's a great little generally fair site to check your own personal favorite purveyor-of-the-truth for their honesty. I started with Rachel Maddow, but plug any name into the search box. Let me know when you find one that almost always tells the truth, even if it doesn't support their personal bias.
http://www.politifact.com/search/?q=maddow
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #73 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I noticed that, too. They have the pricing right.

I suspect that the online subscription price is higher because they can't get as much ad revenue from online subscribers; the difference in price is to make up for that lost revenue.
post #74 of 127
As for using other browsers:

Opera Mini: Pulls up the mobile version of NYPost.com

Perfect Browser, Skyfire, or Atomic Web: Pulls up desktop version of NYPost.com if you change settings for Desktop rendering
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybumps View Post

Sorry - off topic but store is down. Odd for a sunday?

Ah, it's back up. I think they added "Government Store" and "International Stores". Also, the layout is broken on Safari 5.x on Windows 7.
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

As for using other browsers:

Opera Mini: Pulls up the mobile version of NYPost.com

Perfect Browser, Skyfire, or Atomic Web: Pulls up desktop version of NYPost.com if you change settings for Desktop rendering

Atomic Web makes my iPad a web browsing BEAST! Can't recommend it enough. Especially with more memory on the iPad 2.
post #77 of 127
Only a matter of time before they adjust the browser detect to also block the other IOS primary browsers.

For all those protesting - I would imagine many of you are the same crew of fanboy that joined in on the echo chamber of anti-Flash sentiment after Jobs & co decided it was a competitive tech to their App store / ITunes strategies. Effectively endorsing the restriction of a large proportion of web content to iPad users and at the same time beginning a trolling war to shout down its use by the rest of us.

The iPad itself is a paywall to Internet content that has been primarily free for a decade. Like it or not - its time to reap what you boys have sowed.

- Koof
post #78 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah, it's back up. I think they added "Government Store" and "International Stores".

Been there since the Store was created...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Like it or not, the New York Post is most certainly a newspaper and Fox News is most certainly a news station. There is no such thing as a completely unbiased news source and Fox News is no more biased than any other major news source. That includes much of the mainstream media and even news sources like the BBC, which some people incorrectly label as being unbiased. Everybody has their agenda, and that also includes certain comedy channels.

Fox News is a welcome breath of fresh air in a media landscape dominated by leftwing partisan hacks. Some mainstream media channels, such as MSNBC, essentially serves the same function as the state run media in North Korea (KCNA), and that function is to facilitate the dissemination of leftist propaganda.


The only people that like FAUX news are the ones that only want to hear right wing propaganda and do NOT want to hear anything that might challenge their preconceived notion of the world around them.

It is one thing to be a little bias one way or the other, but FAUX new is driving a right wing agenda and in my opinion is NOT a news channel...

For the record, I despise both parties...
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

The only people that like FAUX news are the ones that only want to hear right wing propaganda and do NOT want to hear anything that might challenge their preconceived notion of the world around them.

Sorry, but this applies to the vast majority of the world for their choices in media outlets, likely yourself included. Unless, of course, you enjoy watching Fox News because you want to hear your own preconceived notions of the world around you challenged.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New York Post website now blocking Safari access on iPad