or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › mac won't start, gives me the kernel stop-sign

mac won't start, gives me the kernel stop-sign

post #1 of 2
Ok, this is my big big problem..

One day, i was just doing nothing on my dear computer, starting up firefox or something, then suddenly everything stopped. I couldn't do anything. I forced-restarted the computer with the boot-button. When im trying to start it over again, i get to the white startup-screen with the apple-icon in the middle, with the loading-circle underneath it. After a while, the apple-icon changes to a grey stop sign (picture of it further down).

So, what have i tried?

Trying to boot with CD, says i can't install Mac OS, but i can go into the Disk utility, Verify Disk / Repair Disk:

Verifying volume "Macintosh HD"

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Invalid node structure

Invalid B-tree node size

Invalid node structure

Invalid B-tree node size

Volume check failed

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I have time machine on my external hdd, but when pressing the time machine-button after trying to start with CD, nothing happens.

When starting the computer holding down SHIFT-button, i get a white screen with black text, and a square saying 'You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." The black text in the foreground says:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x560d25): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \\"ACPI\\".\
"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.9.37/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame: Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x508a3da8 : 0x21b510 (0x5d9514 0x508a3ddc 0x223978 0x0)

0x508a3*** : *and the same thing as the other one but with different numbers

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version

Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Sat Jan 29 15:17:16 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.9.37~1/RELEASE_I386

System uptime in nanoseconds: 368530813

I've also tried to boot it with holding down cmd-s, and i just get a repeated message saying alot of stuff...

"rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: ******* (alot of numbers and letters)
waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID"2>boot-uid-media</string></dict>
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC10@0(AppleACPIPCI/SATA@B/AppleMCP79AHCI/PRT0@0/
IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDrivers/ST9320423ASG Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Customer02
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
hfs_swap_BTNode: record ยค0 invalid offset (0x0031)
hfs: node=0 fileID=4 volume= device=root_device
hfs_mountroot failed: 5
cannot mount root, errno= 19"

The Apple stop sign:

Ok, so i cant boot the computer with the shift key, just gives me bad error message. Nothing particular is happening while booting with the X-button and i've tried to reset PRAM.

I really don't know what to do... and my computer is from 2009, has worked pretty good (until now), and i dont have any warranty...

Best regards,
Jockereh
post #2 of 2
If your hard drive has crashed, you will hear it clicking when it boots up and you will need to replace it. It's not expensive and shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself. You will find a guide on ifixit.com.

If it's a software issue, you may be able to repair it from your install disc. Boot up from it if you have it and run Disk Utility to check the drive. If it can't fix it, you may be able to restore from a backup. You can also boot from a Time Machine backup if you have one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › mac won't start, gives me the kernel stop-sign