or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's new Mac Pro, Mac mini with Thunderbolt coming by August

Rumor: Apple's new Mac Pro, Mac mini with Thunderbolt coming by August - Page 2

post #41 of 127
Mainly for the better GPU performance relative to Sandy Bridge. Of course if they go SB with an external GPU that would be even better.

That being said I do wonder what the hold up might be. Maybe this is all BS and the hardware will come with Lion.
post #42 of 127
Do you guys think we will see a Thunderbolt Thumb Drive, I would really like to have that. Possibly an iPhone cable supporting thunderbolt would be great too.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #43 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB View Post

sill need USB for stuff like keyboards and mouse

Adapter. Simple.

Quote:
E-net is also needed!!

Adapter. Even more simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Do you guys think we will see a Thunderbolt Thumb Drive

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT.

Quote:
Possibly an iPhone cable supporting thunderbolt would be great too.

As much as we need it, we'll never have it. We have Wi-Fi sync now. Know what that means? When 802.11ac hits draft status around mid 2013, we'll start seeing it included in all Macs and iDevices, as well as whatever the AirPort family has evolved into. That'll be fast enough for any syncing, really, even though by then we'll have 100Gb Thunderbolt.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Mainly for the better GPU performance relative to Sandy Bridge. Of course if they go SB with an external GPU that would be even better.

That being said I do wonder what the hold up might be. Maybe this is all BS and the hardware will come with Lion.

this make you any happier?

i would hope for that... i have a Lenovo laptop, which i bought solely because it has better GPU.... (instead of Macbook) and than i have a 8 year old Imac >.<

AMD= $500 Mac Mini + better graphics + equal, or not better than current CPU?

i wouldn't mind the i7's graphics (its okay, if you want to run light gaming) but the reality is that Mac Mini isn't a gaming machine....

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #45 of 127
What about the rumor that the revised Mac Pro will be slimmer, so it will fit easily in standard computer racks?
post #46 of 127
Waht do you think - will the new MacPros be able to start in 10.6 SnowLeopard?

I can't work with Lion because i need Rosetta and FRREHAND......

If is won't boot in 10.6 i'll have to buy a 2010 MacPro until the new ones are shipping.
post #47 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by graubereich View Post

Waht do you think - will the new MacPros be able to start in 10.6 SnowLeopard?

Of course not.

Quote:
I can't work with Lion because i need Rosetta and FRREHAND......

Or a program updated in the last five years.

post #48 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

My current Mac Pro is great at a lot of things, but the 667 MHz Bus and Memory are killing me. It's also unable to boot into the 64-bit kernel, though it handles all the 64-bit apps well. My 30" Cinema Display is still going strong and I see no sense in replacing it. That all said, this new Mac Pro might just entice me to upgrade. I just don't know if I'm willing to part with that kind of money for a computer that I only use at home. I never thought I'd get to the point where my current Mac was actually good enough to handle everything I needed without being slow. There's no way I'd ever downgrade to a Mac Mini, and the iMac includes a screen when I already have the 30". I'm stuck.

I use my new iMac with my old Cinema DIsplay, works beautifully.
post #49 of 127
@ Tallest Skill:
Are you sure the new MacPros only work with Lion?
Why you think this will be so?
post #50 of 127
Things I would like to see in a new Mac Pro are:
- Sandy Bridge (obviously)
- SATA III on the internal drive bays
- Some cleaner way to use 2.5" drives, other than an adaptor in a 3.5in bay
- An option for a weakling fanless video card, so you can combine it with SSDs only, for a very quiet box.
post #51 of 127
Quote:

@ Tallest Skill:

Yeah.... I'd like an answer to that as well. Who has said that any new Macs can't be downgraded to Snow Leopard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course not.
Or a program updated in the last five years.

Re: FreeHand and your slap-in-the-face reply:

There are many of us that standardized within companies and even industries and continue to use far superior software that was, in this case, illegally included in a buy-out by Adobe. THEY failed to upgrade it, OR make their favored Illustrator software, any better than it was before they bought the competition's better product.

IF Adobe updated FreeHand, their would be an estimated 10-15,000 upgrade sales practically over night. But as we all know too well, Adobe has become complacent with many of their products, and can't seem to properly engineer anything right theses days.

FYI: I'm personally responsible for 3.5+ million Freehand files for assorted packaging printers. We've been on Illustrator now since CS4, and currently CS5. Unfortunately, many older FH files won't open, and when they do they are mangled, until we open them in the last version of FH and do some trickery (mostly ungrouping objects).

While I have the luxury of having many machines at my disposal, at least of which one will stay on SL so that I can VPN or Screenshare to use FreeHand, well... not everybody does.

As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot to like about Lion and getting my clients and assorted freelancers to upgrade should not be a hassle. However, the lack of Rosetta will make it a bit tougher.

NOTE: as I understand it from another thread, it's not Apple's fault, because they were licensing Rosetta in the first place. IBM bought that company, and refuses to license Rosetta in the future. Can anyone confirm this?

Suggestion: Why don't you head over to Macworld and witness the dismay of the people that use an older version of Quicken for similar reasons , and try your trite comment out on them?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #52 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Yeah.... I'd like an answer to that as well. Who has said that any new Macs can't be downgraded to Snow Leopard?

I am pretty sure Apple limits the minimum OS, for a machine, to the current version that was out when the machine was shipped out. This is why one cannot take their 10.6.0 retail DVD and install it on a Mac that shipped with 10.6.3; one has to buy a newer version or use the DVD that came with the computer.
post #53 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

On the other hand, I think that 100% black is nice. I like the look of my black macbook. This doesn't really matter much to me, since I'm not looking to get one, but it would be cool if Apple made the mini 100% black, just like they did with Apple TV. And I agree with you on one point, I also never did like the look of those 50/50 Apple laptops, which featured unmatched colors. They should keep it simple, all one color.

Leave it alone. An all black server would be cool.
And focus on many new Virtual smart instruments fio logic too like richest and many, hundereds if styles.

Then they need to fix the CPU fiasco. No way a 2009 2.93 keeps up with some newer chips and come out with 8 core so 2 is=16 cores, 4=32, that would really dent PromTools TDM as native would be fine and make logic have a Pt skin so anyone that knows Pt the short cuts would work. They really do need to talk to
Intel and get faster chips. And last, for now, if they could build some type of arranger that could build a song out of a (example), piano melody, that would be revolutionary.

They COULD DO IT. Start by buying out Band In A Box and go from there.

Peace ALL!!!
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

And focus on many new Virtual smart instruments fio logic too like richest and many, hundereds if styles.

Say WHAAAAT?
post #55 of 127
+1 to those who think the old FreeHand is still better than the newest Illustrator. FreeHand was just better software, period.
post #56 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic View Post

It would depend on the Mac Mini. It's probably too much to hope for but here's my wish list:

1) Core i7 (mobile version)
2) up to 16 GB RAM (4x4GB SODIMM)
3) Thunderbolt AND USB3.0 (need at least USB2.0 of course, for my mouse/keyboard)
4) Radeon 6000 series mobile GPU, preferably as an MXM module that's upgradeable later

Of course since I'm wishing here I might as well add a pony to the list ... :-)

Is is okay to day dream.
post #57 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not only is this information old though, it comes from Seth Weintraub who is a complete idiot and often wrong.

Mr. Weintraub is not an idiot. He is reasonably well-connected and sometimes right. He is also making a living off that track record, which I understand makes some people envious.

Name-calling belittles you more than those you insult. May I suggest you try diplomacy, which will earn you some respect. Overall, your game is not strong and you could gain from a sabbatical, professor, to refine it. For example, you could refine your logical arguments (see thread on Apple and Samsung executives meeting).
post #58 of 127
Quote:

@ Tallest Skill:

Because not a single Mac that has ever been released can work with a version of the OS that was created before said Mac's release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Apple over the last two decades.

Quote:
buy-out by Adobe.

I take it all back. I apologize. You're completely justified in continuing to use software that actually works.

We need a new Illustrator alternative in the vein of Pixlemator...

post #59 of 127
Quote:

Because not a single Mac that has ever been released can work with a version of the OS that was created before said Mac's release.

Apple over the last two decades.

To back this up, consider that new HW needs new drivers and any new Macs would need the drivers that came with the restore disc/stick as the retail version likely won't contain them.

Now it's possible that the drivers KEXTs in the Lion for new Macs will work with SL, perhaps some even working very well, but this would be a hack, not something supported by Apple. You may even have to jump through hoops to get a retail version of SL installed on any new machines even if it does have acceptable drivers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #60 of 127
Here's my shot at Mac Mini predictions (I own a 2009 Mac Mini). I'm extrapolating from the 13" MacBook Pro, which is it's closest design cousin.

Certainty:
Sandy Bridge w/core i5 processors @ 2 cores.
Thunderbolt (1 port)
USB 2.0 (4 ports)
Firewire 800 (1 port)
Mini Displayport (EDIT: this is in the Thunderbolt port...sorry for being redundant)
Intel HD 3000 graphics (sorry, nothing better than this)
SDXC slot

Maybe:
4 gigs standard (up to 8 gigs offered, OWC will find that 16 gigs works too)
HDMI (fairly likely, people still use these machines as media centers, even with Front Row going away)
Core i7 @ 2 cores (like the 13" Macbook Pro)
Core i7 @ 4 cores (maybe a build to order...would make it a modern day SE/30)
No optical drive at all (A non-optical server version has been shipping of the Mini for 2 years)
SSD BTO option (especially if the optical drive goes)

Not gonna happen:
USB 3.0 (try next year with Ivy Bridge)
Blu-Ray (never)
post #61 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Every one of those legacy ports can be replaced with Thunderbolt, which is the new open standard. I hope that the Mini has one, and only one gaping "port", that being Thunderbolt. Your design would have it riddled with holes and ports and legacy worn out stupidity.

Keep dreaming. Don't get on this guy's case, either. Your vision is the same as mine. I just have the sense to know it won't happen for YEARS.

post #62 of 127
Quote:

That is so complicated and messy. It is not Steve's style to cling like a dying man to legacy crap - not when the future is already here.

Every one of those legacy ports can be replaced with Thunderbolt, which is the new open standard. I hope that the Mini has one, and only one gaping "port", that being Thunderbolt. Your design would have it riddled with holes and ports and legacy worn out stupidity.

That is WAY too complicated. One port. No decisions. No confusion. Everything and anything plugs right in, no muss, no fuss, no thinking.

Think of it this way: The old smartphones had like 50 different buttons on them, but all of them were unnecessary, and all of them were way confusing. Steve revolutionized everything, because his iPhone had ONLY ONE BUTTON. Suddenly, the rest of us could actually understand how to use the damn things!

Same thing with the mini. It is a nightmare for a typical consumer to set up a computer. But with only one port, it suddenly becomes so simple that the rest of us can do it easily! One port to rule them all!!

I might agree, except that USB is too ubiquitous right now to drop (Apple still sells wired USB keyboards and third party printers for example). USB is not going anywhere for years. As far as using the Thunderbolt port to plugin break-out boxes for other legacy ports (like USB/Firewire), do any of these devices actually exist yet? I'm sure that they will soon, but they probably won't be priced cheaply when they first hit the market. I think we'd be lucky to see such a device for $100 right now. And as for Firewire, too many of us in the Mac community still depend on it every day. I have 5 external firewire drives + 1 Drobo @FW800 rocking my Mini right now. I cannot abandon Firewire for a while and I'm sure I'm not alone.
post #63 of 127
Quote:

Get an adapter. Put it next to your external floppy disk drive. Problem solved.

No, seriously. You're going to illegitimize the case for Thunderbolt if you keep acting like this. The Thunderbolt transition will be slow because all other ports are still needed. Please grasp this soon.

post #64 of 127
Quote:

I hope that they drop the legacy HDMI port now that they have Thunderbolt. In fact, they could drop all the ports except Thunderbolt, because that is now all that is needed. The rest are like floppy Disks.

Drop all the other ports NOW? I doubt it would even make sense in a few years, there are just too many peripherals for firewire and USB out there. And I don't want to have to buy a TB to USB hub just for things like mice and keyboards. Or were you joking? Besides the fact that it will take a while for TB peripherals to even be available, the port is way too expensive for simple gear.

Adapters are so much more clunky. And do you really think usb/TB adapters are going to be dirt cheap?

Quote:

It's 64-bit now. Wouldn't that constitute it being Cocoa and therefore having been rewritten?

The developer beta is 64 bit, but that's not available to the public yet, and there's some debate about whether it's all cocoa or some sort of hacked together hybrid code. It is supposed to be better performance, I'd like to know if the audio and video encoding code has been rewritten to use multiple cores - 64 bit is great but multicore will give an even bigger boost to encoding.

Quote:

Flat out wrong, there are plenty of examples to the contrary. We simply don't know, sometimes machines can be switched over to earlier OS, sometimes not, sometimes it's possible with some degree of hacks (copying over system files, things like that). It mostly depends on how radical the hardware update is, if it's just a speed bump the older OS generally works fine. I'd bet you can put 10.5 on current MPs, they're essentially the same hardware as the 2009 models which came out with the earlier OS.

Quote:

Get an adapter.

Are these adapters shipping? What do they cost?
post #65 of 127
Quote:

That sounds Bad.
I thought in the past was a similar situation where G5s were updateted near an OS Transition and they also worken with the "old" OS.

The most PRO Users won't work with a complete new OS until it's Version .3 or something in this place.

So it would be bad if Apple ships new Mac Pros with a .0 Version of a new OS.

I think i will take the safe tour:
i will order a 6-core MacPro this Week.

A need Rosetta and 10.6 the next 2-3 years - and it would be bad if i'l buy a new Mac for 3-4.000 and it won't boot in SnowLeopard.
post #66 of 127
Quote:

I thought in the past was a similar situation where G5s were updateted near an OS Transition and they also worken with the "old" OS.

There was, and plenty of similar cases. Sometimes new hardware can use older OS, sometimes not. It really just depends on how radical the change is to the new hardware so in this case there's no way to know how it will be for the next MP update.
post #67 of 127
In the history of Apple products, there have been a few times they've broken with conventional wisdom and dropped a popular connectivity option. In 1984, the original Mac came with RS-422 ports featuring a DIN-8 configuration versus the more common RS-232 serial interface and it didn't come at all with the very popular parallel port interface. That limited Apple's ability to have Macs connect to anything for two years until the peripheral market caught up (and SCSI was added). You could get RS-232->RS-422 adapters since RS-422 was backwards compatible with the older standard and there wasn't any logic to it...just wiring design.

The original iMac in 1998 ditched RS-422, ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) ports and SCSI for USB 1.1. That was a real stretch for the market and a big gamble for Apple whom at the time was fighting its way out of a death spiral. But USB had been on the market for Windows for over a year previous and HP had a small line of USB printers at the ready. And the iMac proved to be such a big hit that peripheral makers started making candy colored hubs and devices for it. Finally, Windows support got better and that world slowly adopted too.

But today is not 1998. USB is about as ubitquitous as they come for standards. Thunderbolt is not making that go away now, if ever. Firewire will probably go away at some point but not until there are Thunderbolt->Firewire solutions that actually work at a decent price point. Too many of us still have Firewire external devices at home and they are still used in the professional markets, especially the video and music industries.

Steve Jobs is a visionary but he's also practical. I probably wouldn't care that much if my next Mac Mini didn't have an optical drive since I want to get an external Blu-Ray burner anyway. Boot media for Macs will now likely come on flash drives as already happen for Macbook Airs. But I depend too much on the ports on the back of the machine. Shrinking everything down to Thunderbolt is an interesting concept but not practical in the real world.
post #68 of 127
How does this jibe with Wikipedia saying Sandy Bridge Xeons will be released Q4 2011~Q1 2012?
post #69 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

How does this jibe with Wikipedia saying Sandy Bridge Xeons will be released Q4 2011~Q1 2012?

The rumor's wrong, that's right. Either that or Apple is getting chips three months early.

post #70 of 127
I had been desperately awaiting the arrival of a refreshed mini for my HTPC setup, but I've found that my 2009 mini plays DVDs and Netflix at 1080p just fine. That's all I really use it for.

The only feature that will entice me to buy is Blu-Ray, and I don't see that happening.
:: shrugs ::
post #71 of 127
Quote:

...most PRO Users won't work with a complete new OS until it's Version .3 or something...

True that.
post #72 of 127
Quote:

The rumor's wrong, that's right. Either that or Apple is getting chips three months early.

There is precedence for both scenarios.
post #73 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

But today is not 1998. USB is about as ubitquitous as they come for standards. Thunderbolt is not making that go away now, if ever. Firewire will probably go away at some point but not until there are Thunderbolt->Firewire solutions that actually work at a decent price point. Too many of us still have Firewire external devices at home and they are still used in the professional markets, especially the video and music industries.

Thunderbolt works at a lower level than USB and Firewire though, it's just an extension of the PCI bus on to an external port. If the Thunderbolt connector was only a USB one, you could run USB3 devices with mere software. And in fact the Thunderbolt connector was originally USB, but the USB Committee objected, so Apple changed to Mini-DP.

Even though a simple adapter with no logic is all that's required, this was nevertheless a fatal move imho, and in fact Sony had the good sense to ignore the Committee and go with a USB connector anyway on their Thunderbolt laptops.

There was a rumor a while back that Apple was going to release some kind of hub that connected to the Thunderbolt port and provided all the other kinds: USB3, Firewire, iPod.
post #74 of 127
Quote:

Get an adapter.

Nobody wants adapters anywhere, ever, for anything.

Unsightly
Awkward
Added Expense
Unsightly
Loss of Fidelity
Unsightly
Footprint
UNSIGHTLY UGLY CRAP HANGING OUT THE BACK
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonGardener View Post

heres hoping theres a BTO Mac Pro fast enough to make iTunes run smootly with a large music collection

Yes I know I'm delusional but we can live in hope - it'll probably happen b4 apple get around to rewritting it from the ground up

I'm using a Mac Pro, latest model, and it's a screamer. Except for iTunes, with 300GB it is pretty slow. It sometimes needs to think about a change. Looks like it's hung, and all of a sudden it marches on. Music simply plays (ofcourse) but video can sometimes hang.

Yep, a new iTunes that would make use of all processors in a Mac Pro would be great. Something I expected a few years ago actually. Hopefully they'll get around to it when the introduce a new iPod lineup later this year. They took their time with FCP as well, so maybe after Lion is out the door they take care of some other legacy software.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #76 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Nobody wants adapters anywhere, ever, for anything.

Guess I'll stop using this wired Internet to Wi-Fi adapter, then.

OH WAIT THAT'S MY AIRPORT EXTREME.

Quote:
Awkward

If you have Parkinson's or other nervous system disorders that make it hard to plug things in.

Quote:
Added Expense

This is your ONLY legitimate point.

Quote:
Loss of Fidelity

Quote:
Footprint

Zero. How is this even in a list?

Quote:
UNSIGHTLY UGLY CRAP HANGING OUT THE BACK

Just like your Thunderbolt cables. Your point?

post #77 of 127
Quote:
Awkward
Quote:

If you have Parkinson's or other nervous system disorders that make it hard to plug things in.

Ever try plugging an HDMI cable into your iPad? Ever move your mini around in a tight entertainment center nook? The user must constantly consider the presence of an adapter to avoid getting it caught on something and breaking the connection. I have yet to see a perfectly designed minimalistic adapter that avoids this.

Quote:
Added expense
Quote:
This is your ONLY legitimate point.

Because we're already paying for something that's just supposed to work.

Quote:
Loss of fidelity
Quote:

Adding another medium, link, or connection to any signal invariably introduces not only a loss of fidelity but an added risk of signal failure. Given the lack of analog signals present in today's technology, you'll really only see the latter. So I might have written "Risk of signal failure" but it's the same thing. It's just one more link that can break, one more thing to depend on, one more risk.

Quote:
Footprint
Quote:
Zero. How is this even in a list?

Where do you keep your sleek, minimal mini? Is it tucked away neatly in an entertainment center for your HTPC? Every cable has a bend radius; adding a dongle might force your mini to sit further from the wall. Is it sitting neatly on the far corner of your desk? Using a dongle adds clutter to an othewise immaculate system.

Quote:
Unsightly
Quote:
Just like your Thunderbolt cables. Your point?

A cable is a cable. They're all round and straight with varying thickness and a proprietary connector. After you plug them in, they can be neatly bundled and routed... unless you've got a big fat adapter in the way.
post #78 of 127
I'm surprised that everyone is assuming that the Mac Pros REQUIRE the use of Xeon processors. From everything I've read, Xeons are just not worth the price of admission. The minute performance gains over the standard desktop chips are better overcome with a quality SSD than with the price of the CPU. The biggest advantage is their multi-processor motherboard support. Apple still sells single-CPU towers. I think that Apple may introduce a single CPU desktop Mac Pro with the multi-processor Xeons to be updated later down the road when the CPUs become available.

They may even pass the CPU savings onto us... okay, that may just be wishful thinking there.
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post

They may even pass the CPU savings onto us... okay, that may just be wishful thinking there.

Wishful thinking is right LOL As is a 4 core Mini.

An up charge for a dual core i7 maybe, but Mini's will be lucky to see 4 cores at all.
post #80 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will release updates for its Mac Pro and Mac mini desktops in August, adding Intel's latest generation Sandy Bridge processors and the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, according to a new rumor.

It would be really nice to have graphic cards in the systems that are less than 2-2 1/2 years behind the competition. Pathetic, that I have to buy a second Video card for my mac pro 12 core that i can only use in windows, and wait for Apple to finally play catch up. >:-(

Nate
Nate
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple's new Mac Pro, Mac mini with Thunderbolt coming by August