or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Neighboring cities amenable to Apple's proposed Cupertino mega-campus

Neighboring cities amenable to Apple's proposed Cupertino mega-campus - Page 2

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Cool, that's what we've been lacking, more Bay Area regional planning talk!

I wasn't aware that BART ever included plans for a loop- I though it always was conceived as a commuter feed system from the outlaying regions into SF, with the big holdout being Marin.

I think BART was sort of doomed from the outset as any kind of traffic alleviator, since urban planners in the 60s always assumed that San Francisco was the hub. The growth of the Bay Area as a megapolis requiring a distributed, regional transit network (mesh instead of hub) didn't take off until BART was pretty much cast in stone. As it stands, there are too few tracks and too many choke points to be particularly resilient or to be able to significantly increase capacity.

The best to be done now is extend lines into the areas of outlying growth, as in the relatively recent Pittsburg/Bay Point or Dublin/Pleasanton lines, and of course south down the Peninsula. But in the new cash strapped Bay Area (or US, for that matter) giant infrastructure projects seem like a dim hope. I drive the Bay Bridge every day and look at the modest thing that's going to be the new Eastern span and shake my head at how far we've fallen since we made the Golden Gate.

I think another test of success is warranted. When BART was first proposed, while it was under construction, and even for some time after it started running, it was frequently criticized as completely unworkable. Today, I would dare anyone to consider getting around the Bay Area without BART in the mix, whether they are riding the system or driving a car. Many American cities would be grateful to have such a doomed system.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The London underground system naturally, via evacuated tunnels using magnetic levitating trains accelerating at 1g the journey could be accomplished in 30 minutes with a top speed of 9.3 km/s.

Surely Apple can manage that?

Anyway, Apple should clearly be moving their offices to near Mount Kilimanjaro for future orbital commuting via a Space Elevator.

Nice retort!

As for a space elevator it would be better to locate it along the equator for reasons I can't put into words right now. I have to plug my "smart helmet" in my skull port but it's getting recharged.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Nicely played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that!"

"Dave's not here, man!"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Dave's not here, man!"

That might actually work better than:

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Neighboring cities amenable to Apple's proposed Cupertino mega-campus