or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple bumps Time Capsule capacity to 3TB, no mention of new features

Apple bumps Time Capsule capacity to 3TB, no mention of new features

post #1 of 78
Apple on Tuesday increased the capacity of its Time Capsule network attached storage with a 3-terabyte model, but the quiet refresh made no mention of other changes to the hardware.

The new models were revealed by Apple on its official Time Capsule page, mentioning 2TB and 3TB models.

Update: The Apple Online Store has been updated, with the 2TB and 3TB models selling for $299 and $499, respectively. The previous generation 1TB model ran for $299, while the 2TB offering was $499.

The official page still advertises the ability to wirelessly and automatically back up a Mac with the Time Capsule, as well as the hardware's included dual-band 802.11n wireless base station. It also has the same dimensions, at 7.7-by-7.7 inches.

The lack of new advertised functionality quashes earlier rumors that an updated Time Capsule could be powered by Apple's iOS lightweight operating system found on the iPhone, iPad and new Apple TV. It was suggested that a transition could allow for more robust features, like print and media streaming services, integration with iCloud, and cached wireless software updates.

While the Time Capsule was quietly updated on Tuesday, a refresh of Apple's AirPort Extreme router is also expected to arrive in the near future, having recently been outed by a filing with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Stock of both Time Capsules and AirPort Extreme base stations had run dry at Apple retail stores and third-party resellers in recent weeks.

The capacity of the Time Capsule was last increased to 2TB in July of 2009. That $499 model doubled the capacity of the previous high-end 1TB Time Capsule.
post #2 of 78
This is not iOS based. My reasoning is that they'd advertise that it's using an Apple A4 chip, like they do with the AppleTV.

I do hope the rumours about an iOS based Time Capsule-like product are true, but I hope they are as an Apple Home Server where it being iOS-based makes a lot more sense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #3 of 78
The Apple Store links for the Time Capsule is currently down...
post #4 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do hope the rumours about an iOS based Time Capsule-like product are true, but I hope they are as an Apple Home Server where it being iOS-based makes a lot more sense.

I second this. An Apple branded full featured home server would be handy - something I can replace my old power sucking G3 with...

Does anyone here have a feeling for the wireless range of these (assuming that the new ones have no updates)? I find myself in the market for a new one, but have avoided the Apple wireless stations after the first one I bought - first or second gen with pathetic range and no easy way to add an antenna.
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmb99 View Post

Does anyone here have a feeling for the wireless range of these (assuming that the new ones have no updates)? I find myself in the market for a new one, but have avoided the Apple wireless stations after the first one I bought - first or second gen with pathetic range and no easy way to add an antenna.

I have a Time Capsule (original 1TB version) it is downstairs in my house and it covers the whole house with ease. This is a wood frame 2 story house w/ 2,300 sq ft. Outside the signal strength is quite good
post #6 of 78
Apple should make a nice four-bay NAS. Unfortunately, even if they did, I couldn't afford it.
post #7 of 78
The previous pricing was pretty atrocious. 2TB for $499? Lord, a 2TB drive alone is just $100.
post #8 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Apple should make a nice four-bay NAS. Unfortunately, even if they did, I couldn't afford it.

Just pickup a QNAP NAS box, it has a built in media server and iTunes server, around $350 for a 4 drive housing.
post #9 of 78
Quote:

"No one wants well-designed server hardware."

That's why the XServe's dead.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #10 of 78
I was hoping that the Time Capsule would become more NAS-like. I'd like something that could run my Logitech Squeezebox jukebox software. Imagine that a Time Capsule ran iOS and you could control Apps on it via an iPad. Plus having it be the iPad 'wireless dock', if you will -- an in-your-home cloud for software updates and backup that had been rumored.

Well, we'll see what this new Airport Extreme looks like. Hopefully with a new FCC filing, it's a new device. Maybe it'll have the rumored iOS features, and we can hook up a hard drive to it to make it the NAS I want.

If not.....I'll get a refreshed Mac Mini and make it a home server.
post #11 of 78
I would just love for the new TC to run iTunes. I wouldn't have to leave my computers on just to stream movies. And hopefully a thunderbolt port for additional storage.
post #12 of 78
UK pricing:

2TB = £249
3TB = £399

What a crazy premium for the 3TB model! The £150 difference could buy you an external 3TB drive.
post #13 of 78
Was expecting a bit more than this, Apple are lagging behind in terms of cost per TB and have missed an opportunity to integrate further into the Connected Home. I'll be staying with my NAS box for now,
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Just pickup a QNAP NAS box, it has a built in media server and iTunes server, around $350 for a 4 drive housing.

Those are tech sexy!

http://www.qnap.com/USEng/Products.asp
Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.
post #15 of 78
meh...
- no integrated adsl or cable modem
- no femto cell capability
- no iOS or A4 chip
post #16 of 78
3TB for $500?! Now I KNOW I'm never buying Apple drives.

Thank you Sea Gate and Western Digital.
post #17 of 78
The Time Capsule launch has been messy online. The store is not in sync with the marketing/product pages. They still have the 1 TB and older 2 TB products up, but tout the new product features on these pages. Un-Apple like

I'm very excited about this. I've been holding off for this next iteration and plan to buy immediately. I hope they've addressed the heat and performance issues. And hopefully, they've made real world improvements in speed.

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I just bought one of these drives. I have to tell ya, for $350 and I can't get it to connect the WiFi to work or find any ethernet ports. Maybe the price of Apple's Time Capsule isn't so crazy after all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145477
post #19 of 78
Quote:

Implying the hard drives inside the Time Capsule aren't Seagate and Western Digital.

What, you think Apple actually makes their own hard drives? Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainblack View Post

- no integrated adsl or cable modem

Because none of the telecoms would support it, rendering it completely worthless.

Quote:
- no femto cell capability

No infinite money printer, either. Let's not think we actually have realistic expectations, please.

Quote:
- no iOS or A4 chip

IT'S A ROUTER. It doesn't need one.

post #20 of 78
Quote:

BUT IT LOOKS NICE!

er, wow usually i am fine with Apple having things cost more money--because they have something that makes them better... but this its just like a shitload of money for a wireless external hard drive.... my friend made a gaming computer (windows ofc) for like $650 dollars....

i have no way to justify this. Doesn't have longer battery than anyone else with screens are better contrast wise. it doesn't have an OS that is easy to use.

I think Apple should stay as am advertising company that makes products. (its true!)

not a company that makes additional hardware.

Is it better than the PC alternative for wireless hard drive. probably.

can you build a server with the same or more storage and wirelessly connect to it for less money. probably.

but, yeah, $400 for a nice case and wireless isn't worth it... i get your 40% margins, i don't understand the over 100% margins (my guess, maybe i am wrong)

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I would just love for the new TC to run iTunes. I wouldn't have to leave my computers on just to stream movies.

Serve music and movies without leaving computers on - yeah! I just picked up another AppleTV (1G) for US$50 that fulfills this exact need for me at home. My first one has a 320GB drive - a 10-minute modification for under US$100. I just hope they last a few more years.
post #22 of 78
Quote:

I just bought one of these drives. I have to tell ya, for $350 and I can't get it to connect the WiFi to work or find any ethernet ports. Maybe the price of Apple's Time Capsule isn't so crazy after all.

1 TB

2 TB

3 TB

post #23 of 78
Quote:

Those are tech sexy!

Do any of them act as a wireless router base station or even have WiFi access, or do they require being connected via ethernet?

Apple could do a lot of business here with a zero-config device that is milled from a block of aluminium using the new Mac mini footprint, but 3.5x the height.

AFAIK you can plug a compatible wireless adaptor into the QNAP box to access it wirelessly or just use ethernet to your wireless router.
post #24 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

I think Apple should stay as am advertising company that makes products. (its true!)

It's false!

Quote:
not a company that makes additional hardware.

Heaven forbid anyone have an easy time of doing what they want to do digitally.

post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

1 TB

2 TB

3 TB

Hitatchi 3 TB: $7,999.99

Western Digital 2TB: $5,499.99
It's almost as if products vary in price based on more than a single metric. \
post #26 of 78
Quote:

You bought an internal Harddrive from Hitachi for 350$ Your inability to to apparently read reviews on the product does not mean that any similar product is bad...that just makes you incompetent.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Flex_Home.html

Quote:
Implying the hard drives inside the Time Capsule aren't Seagate and Western Digital.

What, you think Apple actually makes their own hard drives? Seriously?

I know Apple doesn't make the majority, if anything of what they sell. I was stating s simple though of my relief that Seagate and Western Digital are both reputable and much more affodable than this shiny box that apple is trying to pass off at $500 for 3TB
post #27 of 78
The Time Capsules have always been a rip off.

Why not buy an Airport Extreme Base station and attach a hard drive of your choosing via USB, granted it's not as elegant but you still get the excellent base station hardware and software whilst saving lots of cash.

Works well for me.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #28 of 78
Quote:

You bought an internal Harddrive from Hitachi for 350$ Your inability to to apparently read reviews on the product does not mean that any similar product is bad...that just makes you incompetent.

No, seriously, you really think he's just trying to get the bare drive to connect? You can't be thinking this.

post #29 of 78
The other thing to remember is that these are single-drive boxes, so there is no data redundancy. If the drive dies, you're hosed.

Unlike the 2TB Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 I just got for £290, which eBuyer are currently shipping with an extra 2TB drive giving you 2TB of mirrored storage.

I *think* you can plug a USB wireless adapter into it, but mine sits on the network where I've already got a wireless router.

It works as a Time Machine drive too .
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, seriously, you really think he's just trying to get the bare drive to connect? You can't be thinking this.

no..It's why I labeled him incompetent, partially illiterate and provided a link to a relevant technology.
post #31 of 78
Quote:

3TB for $500?!

Given that you get an Airport Extreme in the deal, the 2TB Time Capsule isn't such a bad deal at $300, but, yes, the 3TB for $500 ain't happening in the John.B household!

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #32 of 78
Quote:

Actually, I think they just need to beef up the USB port on their existing routers (or better yet, add a FW port because it wouldn't need as powerful a processor in the router to control it). Then you can attach as big (and as many of) a disk or raid array as you want. Oh, and they need to officially support TM on the Extreme's port. Pathetic that they don't. iTunes server would be nice, too; but I find it easier to just let my HTPC mini handle that tasks because then TM can keep my iTunes library backed up.

Quote:

Those are tech sexy!

And when the router dies, which it eventually will, you then have to replace the entire device? No thanks! Just give me a better port on the back to connect my own storage.
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedwards View Post

The other thing to remember is that these are single-drive boxes, so there is no data redundancy. If the drive dies, you're hosed.

Unlike the 2TB Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 I just got for £290, which eBuyer are currently shipping with an extra 2TB drive giving you 2TB of mirrored storage.

I *think* you can plug a USB wireless adapter into it, but mine sits on the network where I've already got a wireless router.

It works as a Time Machine drive too .

Good luck with the Netgear box, in my experience they are not great and don't live long (like all netgear kit).
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Given that you get an Airport Extreme in the deal, the 2TB Time Capsule isn't such a bad deal at $300, but, yes, the 3TB for $500 ain't happening in the John.B household!

But wait, John. Why would you pay $500 for a 3TB Time Capsule when you can buy a Linksys E4200 dual band router and a Seagate 3TB NAS for the low, low price of $370. That's $130 in savings.

But that's not all… We'll also throw in complex setup between devices, fragmented service and support which could be hours of fun for you and your family. Act now, supplies are limited….
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, I think they just need to beef up the USB port on their existing routers (or better yet, add a FW port because it wouldn't need as powerful a processor in the router to control it). Then you can attach as big (and as many of) a disk or raid array as you want. Oh, and they need to officially support TM on the Extreme's port. Pathetic that they don't. iTunes server would be nice, too; but I find it easier to just let my HTPC mini handle that tasks because then TM can keep my iTunes library backed up.

And when the router dies, which it eventually will, you then have to replace the entire device? No thanks! Just give me a better port on the back to connect my own storage.

There is truly no need for the Apple Time capsule unless Apple build in features to enable photo, music and video shared storage. You are much better off sticking with your own wireless router then getting a proper NAS box which will do iTunes, iPhoto and video sharing to all of your network kit (Macs, iPhones, PC, PS3, Xbox etc etc)
post #36 of 78
iOS may be "lightweight" compared to a desktop operating system, but it's certainly not lightweight for a router. It's not especially lightweight for a phone either.

censored

censored

post #37 of 78
Quote:

But wait, John. Why would you pay $500 for a 3TB Time Capsule when you can buy a Linksys E4200 dual band router and a Seagate 3TB NAS for the low, low price of $370. That's $130 in savings.

But that's not all We'll also throw in complex setup between devices, fragmented service and support which could be hours of fun for you and your family. Act now, supplies are limited.

I love this place!

post #38 of 78
Quote:

Hitatchi 3 TB: $7,999.99

Western Digital 2TB: $5,499.99
It's almost as if products vary in price based on more than a single metric. \

I get what you're saying and in principle I completely agree but dude you posted prices for packs of TWENTY HARD DRIVES.
post #39 of 78
There is a market out there for the Time Capsule but I doubt any of us are in that group of customers. Those who buy a Time Capsule are not tech savvy and just need somewhere to back files up to through their Macs.

For everyone else there are 'proper' NAS/Multimedia enclosures for a similar cost which offer a multitude of additional features that the Time Capsule does not.

Mind you, the Time Capsule is a bit of a shit box for the end user too, especially when it goes tits up at least you have raid storage in proper NAS boxes, Apple still class the drive as 'server grade storage' which is total bullshit. If I installed a server for a customer with a single drive and said 'yeah, its ok, its server grade storage' they would fire me. lol
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's false!

no, its very true*

they don't make the cheapest products, or the best. they make the ones that look the best.

by making people see how nice it looks in the adds, how simple it is, etc, etc that all advertising.

"but the OS is easy to use"

Hackintosh. people sell those even, so no reason to say "i can't make one"

when a company focus on making a product look good at the cost of being functional, herehereoh againoh big suprise
throttling, not a large enough power supply, that about sums it up. Apple is about making things thinner, lighter, and nicer looking. not making them more functional.

should i go into the original MBA?
the Mac Cube?

you can talk about how "but sometimes it windows" but aren't there computer SET UP to be able to run windows fine...?

yet, despite this, Apple generally has the best laptops in terms of looks and battery life. this is somthing i accept, but there products are not perfect, and there are a few Windows and Linux PC's that work better, for less, that are just as solid.

*= for there laptop and desktop PC's (a pc is a PERSONAL COMPUTER)

"insert something about how people will say i hate Apple, etc, etc, etc."

I don't dislike Apple. I dislike Steve Job's attitude of (not a quote, just a general overview) "thinner and lighter and better looking is always the most important thing"

or as i sum it up, if Steve Job's could have Apple design a computer/tablet that when you turned it sideways it would be impossible to see, he would.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple bumps Time Capsule capacity to 3TB, no mention of new features