or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › With release of Final Cut Pro X, Apple discontinues Express and Server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

With release of Final Cut Pro X, Apple discontinues Express and Server

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
The release of Final Cut Pro X on the Mac App Store on Tuesday also marked the end of Apple's Final Cut Express and Final Cut Server products, as well as the Final Cut Studio suite.

A person familiar with Apple's retail operations informed AppleInsider that the internal release of Final Cut Pro X on Tuesday was also coupled with an "end of life" announcement for Final Cut Express and Final Cut Server. It was said that as of June 21, Express and Server -- along with Final Cut Studio -- are no more.

That same person said that resellers will be able to return any boxed copies of Final Cut Express, Final Cut Server and Final Cut Studio they may have in inventory. As part of its transition away from boxed retail software, Final Cut Pro X is only available on the Mac App Store.

In addition to Final Cut Pro X, Tuesday also saw the release of Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on the Mac App Store. Selling for $49.99 each via the digital download destination, the applications are apparently no longer part of a now-defunct Final Cut Studio bundle.

What the changes could mean for other applications in Final Cut Studio is unclear. The last update for Final Cut Studio came in July of 2009, and included Soundtrack Pro 3, Color 1.5, and DVD Studio Pro 4.



Reflecting the end-of-life of Server, Express and Studio, the websites Apple previously had devoted to each specific product now all forward to apple.com/finalcutpro. There, visitors are encouraged to download Final Cut Pro X for $299.99 in the Mac App Store. In addition, Server, Express and Studio are no longer available in Apple's online store.

Apple confirmed to Engadget on Tuesday that an Express version of Final Cut will not be made available, and that there will not be any upgrade pricing for current users. Individual users can purchase a single license for use on multiple machines, while business users must buy one license per machine. Volume education pricing is also available for purchase by institutions only.
post #2 of 58
I wonder if Apple will ever endorse upgrade pricing for future versions of Final Cut Pro or any apps on the App Store.
post #3 of 58
What was the price of the now discontinued Final Cut Express? Looks like it might have been $199.

I can see Apple concentrating on just a single product, rather than two. But for low-end users, they now have to pony up another $100 more actually, because Final Cut Express could be found discounted, previously. So effectively, the cost has doubled for low-end users.
post #4 of 58
This is great for digital video. Express and Server editions were dead weight. Now Final Cut Pro will be able to take digital video to the next level by focusing on their core product.
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

What was the price of the now discontinued Final Cut Express? Looks like it might have been $199. .

That sounds about right. Plus, while FC has been getting upgrades over the years, FCxpress has gone 4-5 years without any upgrade.

With the new FC priced so low, there's not much of a need to keep Express 'officially' around any more.
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

I can see Apple concentrating on just a single product, rather than two. But for low-end users, they now have to pony up another $100 more actually, because Final Cut Express could be found discounted, previously. So effectively, the cost has doubled for low-end users.

As a person who only edits video a few times a year, but needs a better tool than iMovie, I'm looking at it the other way: I can now get the full "pro" version for just $100 more, where previously it was completely out of my price range.

I have run into a couple occasions where I wanted a feature that was only in the pro version ... and it was annoying that most of the online help and tutorials I found were for the pro version ... so this new approach works for me.
post #7 of 58
Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

As a person who only edits video a few times a year, but needs a better tool than iMovie, I'm looking at it the other way: I can now get the full "pro" version for just $100 more, where previously it was completely out of my price range.

I have run into a couple occasions where I wanted a feature that was only in the pro version ... and it was annoying that most of the online help and tutorials I found were for the pro version ... so this new approach works for me.

Hehe I think you and I are in the same boat. I edit a few movies per year, mostly for friends, non-profits, etc.

If only I weren't unemployed at the momentt, maybe I'd plop down the $300.
post #9 of 58
Does anyone know if there will be a student priced version?
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint View Post

Does anyone know if there will be a student priced version?

Sure. At $299.99.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #11 of 58
that's one way to look at it. Another way is that they pay $100 more for tools that used to cost $1000. I don't think many people will be upset about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

I can see Apple concentrating on just a single product, rather than two. But for low-end users, they now have to pony up another $100 more actually, because Final Cut Express could be found discounted, previously. So effectively, the cost has doubled for low-end users.
post #12 of 58
I don't mind buying individual licenses for each edit bay I have, what I do mind is having to manage AppleID's for each bay. Let me buy a volume license!

Everyone so far is saying: you can install it on any computer with the app store signed in to your account. This is all well and good for the guy who has a laptop and desktop at his home who freelances as an editor... but what about production companies, edit houses that are FCP based? No roadmap? Not even on launch?
post #13 of 58
Mac App Store licensing terms:

If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use either (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Product(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Product that you own or control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I don't mind buying individual licenses for each edit bay I have, what I do mind is having to manage AppleID's for each bay. Let me buy a volume license!

Or just use the same Apple ID for every bay...

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or just use the same Apple ID for every bay...

Do you have any idea how hard that is to accomplish in a large business with multiple lines of business, each with their own budget, but with a centralized and remotely-located purchasing department? It's pretty much impossible.
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Do you have any idea how hard that is to accomplish in a large business with multiple lines of business, each with their own budget, but with a centralized and remotely-located purchasing department? It's pretty much impossible.

Corporate memo: Here's the Apple ID and password you need to install Final Cut Pro X on your machines. Download it from the Mac App Store. It'll install. Have at it.

And then just change the password a week later so the account it can't be misused.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or just use the same Apple ID for every bay...

Professional companies are required to buy a separate license for each machine according to the article.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Professional companies are required to buy a separate license for each machine according to the article.

...? But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac App Store Terms

If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use either (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Product(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Product that you own or control.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #19 of 58
Seems like those two statements don't conflict. Read it more carefully. Key word is a single individual using multiple computers or a single computer with multiple users. They just want to make sure that there's only one active copy at any given time.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Seems like those two statements don't conflict. Read it more carefully. Key word is a single individual using multiple computers or a single computer with multiple users. They just want to make sure that there's only one active copy at any given time.

Hmm. I read it as "you can buy one license and install it on all of your work's computers as long as that computer's only used by one person. If you have a computer being used by more than one person, that computer'll need its own license that all the accounts on it can use.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #21 of 58
FCPX apparently:

- does not open FC Studio project files
- Does open iMovie files
- does not use FCP plugins
- does not have Multicam
- does not import from tape, save for some Firewire gear.
- is shiny

I am all for progress, but so far this is hard to take.
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeWordIsTaco View Post

FCPX apparently:

- does not open FC Studio project files
- Does open iMovie files
- does not use FCP plugins
- does not have Multicam
- does not import from tape, save for some Firewire gear.
- is shiny

I am all for progress, but so far this is hard to take.

No multicam? Wow that sucks.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by netiquette View Post

This is great for digital video. Express and Server editions were dead weight. Now Final Cut Pro will be able to take digital video to the next level by focusing on their core product.

Do you know what Final Cut Server is used for?
post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Do you know what Final Cut Server is used for?

Serving... cuts? Finally?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 58
Read: Older versions of Final Cut not compatible with Lion.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside_line View Post

Read: Older versions of Final Cut not compatible with Lion.

Sure they are. I'm running Final Cut Studio 3 on Lion right now.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #27 of 58
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

You can output Blu Ray data to an external disk or an external Blu Ray burner with FC X. The new Compressor supports Chapters for this too.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

Under: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all...timized-output

Quote:
DVD and Blu-ray
Final Cut Pro provides several easy-to-use templates for delivering discs. Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc.* Burn a red laser AVCHD disc using DVD media right on your Mac, or connect an external Blu-ray burner to create a standard Blu-ray disc for longer projects like full-length movies.

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply

13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D, 21.5" Alu iMac 3.06GHz C2D, 24" Alu iMac 2.8GHz C2D, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 (work)
AppleTV: 320GB, 2; TC 500GB; iPad 32GB; iPhone: 3G 8GB, 4 32GB; iPod: 30GB 5G, 80GB Classic, 2GB...

Reply
post #30 of 58
This is not surprising from Apple. They have no problem with dropping features or legacy code when starting from scratch. Most if not all of these things will be re implemented in way that Apple feels is better than it was previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeWordIsTaco View Post

FCPX apparently:

- does not open FC Studio project files
- Does open iMovie files
- does not use FCP plugins
- does not have Multicam
- does not import from tape, save for some Firewire gear.
- is shiny

I am all for progress, but so far this is hard to take.
post #31 of 58
If we look to where the puck is going.............

Its moving away from DVD distribution to web downloads and streaming. I guarantee few will question excluding DVD authoring from FCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray.

They did. Probably not as powerful as DVD-Studio, but now integrated into FCPX:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all...timized-output

"DVD and Blu-ray - Final Cut Pro provides several easy-to-use templates for delivering discs. Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc.* Burn a red laser AVCHD disc using DVD media right on your Mac, or connect an external Blu-ray burner to create a standard Blu-ray disc for longer projects like full-length movies.

*Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs."

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/spe...formats-and-io
"- Export and burn DVD, AVCHD disc, and Blu-ray disc."
"- Apple-designed menus for DVDs and animated menus for Blu-ray discs"


And of course they are supported in Compressor too:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/com...lined-workflow

post #33 of 58
I think a lot of you guys don't get the enterprise world. Just because something works doesn't mean it passes audit!

I know you can use the same AppleID on all computers, but according the license you can't do that for a business. Each bay has an individual copy. $299 per bay is still cheap compared to what we pay for Media Composer, but even so... managing this is crazy.

We can't just give out the AppleID, and then change the password, all app updates are through the app store, which requires AppleID and password. Having an AppleID for each bay is just as crazy. Also, business prefer to work with PO's not Credit Cards. Try deploying this to 20 edit bays and tell me it's not a headache? I can spend probably $500 on my CC and no one will bat an eyelash but I have to imagine Finance wouldn't be happy to see $6,000 on my AMEX. If it's over $500 it needs a PO.

Sorry to bore you creative types with the business world, App store distribution allows Apple to reach far more users, but I fear it is at the expense of the pro users.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I think a lot of you guys don't get the enterprise world. Just because something works doesn't mean it passes audit!

I know you can use the same AppleID on all computers, but according the license you can't do that for a business. Each bay has an individual copy. $299 per bay is still cheap compared to what we pay for Media Composer, but even so... managing this is crazy.

Yeah, a flat-file database with an AppleID field and a machine asset number field is crazy difficult.

If your company can't cope with that, your company is broken.
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

What was the price of the now discontinued Final Cut Express? Looks like it might have been $199.

I can see Apple concentrating on just a single product, rather than two. But for low-end users, they now have to pony up another $100 more actually, because Final Cut Express could be found discounted, previously. So effectively, the cost has doubled for low-end users.

It was the same price as the new Final Cut Pro at $299. At least that's what I paid for it.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I think a lot of you guys don't get the enterprise world. Just because something works doesn't mean it passes audit!

I know you can use the same AppleID on all computers, but according the license you can't do that for a business. Each bay has an individual copy. $299 per bay is still cheap compared to what we pay for Media Composer, but even so... managing this is crazy.

We can't just give out the AppleID, and then change the password, all app updates are through the app store, which requires AppleID and password. Having an AppleID for each bay is just as crazy. Also, business prefer to work with PO's not Credit Cards. Try deploying this to 20 edit bays and tell me it's not a headache? I can spend probably $500 on my CC and no one will bat an eyelash but I have to imagine Finance wouldn't be happy to see $6,000 on my AMEX. If it's over $500 it needs a PO.

Sorry to bore you creative types with the business world, App store distribution allows Apple to reach far more users, but I fear it is at the expense of the pro users.

Read up on how Lion is being distributed for businesses and education sector.

Pretty much reckon they'll do the same for FCPX.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Yeah, a flat-file database with an AppleID field and a machine asset number field is crazy difficult.

If your company can't cope with that, your company is broken.


I think that's a little uncalled for. I am not saying it CAN'T be done, I am talking about what SHOULD be done. You didn't address my bit about paying with a PO, in your scenario I am still charging all of this to a credit card.

Not to mention, maintaining a database, even if it's just a spreadsheet is excess work. I do maintain a filemaker database with serial numbers and their associated computers for some software (usually just plugins). Adding FCP X to this database would be a breeze, sure. But what of updating the software? Through SSH/ARD? Or App store only?

Yes, it could be done. The point I am trying to illustrate is that AppleID isn't meant for the business world. The very fact that they offered a document showing how Education/Enterprise can deal with the Lion install proves that Apple is well aware of this, which is why they offer the alternative method for a Lion deployment. I don't need you to belittle me, my job, or my company just because you can think of a workaround.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzly88 View Post

Again, Enterprise goes under Apples bus! How do you setup the App store for pro users in a company? DVD authoring is still needed! They should have extended it to Blu Ray. Poor planning Apple. Gonna have a lot of angry Pro Users!

\\

There is some Blu-ray support.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/com...at-conversions

Choose from a set of menu templates to create basic Blu-ray discs or DVDs.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I think that's a little uncalled for. I am not saying it CAN'T be done, I am talking about what SHOULD be done. You didn't address my bit about paying with a PO, in your scenario I am still charging all of this to a credit card.

Not to mention, maintaining a database, even if it's just a spreadsheet is excess work. I do maintain a filemaker database with serial numbers and their associated computers for some software (usually just plugins). Adding FCP X to this database would be a breeze, sure. But what of updating the software? Through SSH/ARD? Or App store only?

Yes, it could be done. The point I am trying to illustrate is that AppleID isn't meant for the business world. The very fact that they offered a document showing how Education/Enterprise can deal with the Lion install proves that Apple is well aware of this, which is why they offer the alternative method for a Lion deployment. I don't need you to belittle me, my job, or my company just because you can think of a workaround.

Just because something works for someone's home computer doesn't mean it's going to scale well to companies with hundreds of employees. But some people just can't see past their own single computer in their living room.
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Read up on how Lion is being distributed for businesses and education sector.

Pretty much reckon they'll do the same for FCPX.

Finally! This.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › With release of Final Cut Pro X, Apple discontinues Express and Server