or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple rumored to be working on iOS-powered HDTVs for late 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to be working on iOS-powered HDTVs for late 2011 - Page 3

post #81 of 130
The only way I can see "Apple branded" TVs is if they partner with, not just get components from, vendors like Samsung, Sony or LG to integrate the AppleTV into the set so it can be sold at Best Buy, Amazon, and other such places, not so much at Apple Stores.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #82 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Oh, it's worth pointing out that this article is quoting Katy Huberty, who has an undeniably lousy track record in predicting Apple's movements.

If she says something is going to happen, the smart bet is that the opposite will end up being the case. Same with Gene Munster. AppleInsider missed the "crap analyst" hat trick by not quoting Shaw Wu. These three are not star-rated analysts.

You mean the "Incompetent Three"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #83 of 130
I think there are several problems with this rumor...


1) Blow Netflix out of the water? Apple just signed netflix up. They could easily say F_it, but why did they bother to begin with?

2) A 40" (ish) iTV would HAVE to sell for around $500 to $800 ($1k for the mythical "apple tax"?) for the average customer to even care about an "iTV". The iPad wouldn't have reached saturation at any higher of a price than where it's at and even at that price point people still think it's pricey. (who knows why?), but there is so little margin in that price range what would be the point?

True Apple sells products at Walmart and Best Buy now, but they've successfully maintained margins even in those locations.

I would guess that an iTV would first be sold at Apple stores at a higher price point and subsequent generations (older, cheaper models) could be sold for less at Big Box stores if this were to happen.

3) Apple has yet to offer 1080p on the iTunes store. Why pay a premium for the TV and then pay a premium for substandard media? BD is relatively cheap. I personally hate disks and don't have a BD player, but I do RIP BD disks to go into my library. The media I have bought from iTunes is paltry at best in comparison and would be wasted on an iTV that I assume would be branded as a "superior display" in some way. Would Apple revert to a 720p display? I doubt it. iTunes HD movies are delivered at about 4mb/s, but I'll tell ya even 720p looks allot better 10mb/s. If their HD movies were delivered at 1080p & 10 mb/s it might hold its weight against BD, but there is a big difference between a 4GB file and a 10GB file. What's an uncompressed BD? Something like 25GB? Just put an iTunes 720p movie on a 23" cinema and fill the display, you'll see what I'm talking about. The problem wont' be worse at 40" per se (obviously that would be 1080 or 720 at 40 or 50 inches), but then you're encroaching on the point of image degradation. Most living rooms are not that big especially in say your typical NYC, LA or San Fran apartment in my experience. You can't sit that far from a large screen TV in many living rooms. Even in America.

4) A subscription iTunes plan would be needed IMO. We might see it coming with the new iCloud service? But I also believe (and Apps on ATV might help this problem too) news (local or otherwise) and sports would be a problem. It wasn't for me, but that's all I hear from people when you talk to them about cutting the cable.

5) We have yet to see games on the ATV so what about 3rd party consoles? I'm sure apple would prefer not seeing a Sony PS or Xbox360 hooked up to their display. Would the new device offer connections for third party devices? If so how does that give Apple the control or ability to push (lock in the user to) the iTunes store/ ecosystem that they would want?

6) There would be little point to large screen iTV's without clean, wire free a sound system to back it up. It just fits Apple's mindset.

7) I would think Apple would "have" to license the tech out to Samsung or their ilk, but that hasn't worked out for Apple yet and it definitely goes against Steve's way of doing things.

Most of these "problems" could be solved if Apple changed things drastically, but things would have to change... drastically.

Subscriptions would probably have to be set up, Apple would should offer 1080p streams at least (most people aren't going to invest in hard drives for 1080p quality that rivals BD), Apps would probably have to be ported to ATV for things like games and subscriptions to sports and news channels and if Apple had their druthers they would probably like to see the whole thing integrated with a wireless sound system.

All that at a near discounted price typical of the consumer electronics market? That's a tall order, but I will say that cheap devices are Apple's new game. Maybe and if they do even some of the above with reasonable hopes for more in the future, I will be (admittedly) first in line to buy one for sure.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
Reply
post #84 of 130
Lots of good points, spliff monkey.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #85 of 130
True, but its still a hassle for someone like my Mom, more so with surround sound, more so with other media sources, etc. ATV does not address the multiple remote control and multiple source inputs problem. Apple can never offer an optimal, simple, yet flexible experience without closer integration with the TV. The current ATV, when you remove the case and power supply is just a very small $30 board.
Theres no reason Apple can't make a TV with a slot for a similar board that will give the product a longer life (upgradable) and make things simple. They could eventually license the slot to other companies so any customer could make their TV an Apple TV. The value is in the simplification of using a TV and nobody else is in the position to make that value offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

Apple isn't building another flat screen / HD / 3D etc with nothing to offer other than what Apple TV already does + screen. That does NOT sound like the "go to" market strategy Apple has been looking for.

Has apple built prototypes of a television? probably, but it's not going to market.

Step 1.
The go to market strategy starts with licensing. (sports channels, premium channels ie cinemax, showtime, other networks etc.) a very similar model that current cable providers have in place but they do so through hard lines (coaxial, fiber & set top boxes) .

Step 2.
revenue stream. the sale of each little black Apple TV as a hardware component is NOT Apple's cash cow. It's in the monthly service Apple will collect and split with content providers.

Step 3.
hardware. Can Apple accomplish this by selling a 50" Apple branded screen? yes. But they can also accomplish the same thing with a little black Apple TV with an HDMI cable. So why would Apple expect consumers to abandon their current flat screens and do so knowing that the TV market changes so quickly, that the 50" Apple branded screen will be outdated by a new type of 3D TV every few months?

All Apple has to do is continue to offer the current set top box "Apple TV" with a version of iOS that is capable of handling the massive amounts of streaming live content. Let the consumer pick whatever size screens they want (sony, samsung, mits, etc) and offer a compelling alternative to watching TV that is not their local cable provider.
post #86 of 130
maybe Apple will team up with some OEM to build ATV into HDTV's. there is some advantage to that for dummy consumers - the majority.

but what would really sell ATV's faster pronto is to build it into Airport Extreme. every home needs a wifi/router hub. adding ATV would mean one less box and a lot more capabilities for a mere $100 more.

the AirPlay mirroring combo with iPad iOS 5 will be the Big New Thing that ignites sales.
post #87 of 130
This must be some seriously old data they are working with, because a 40 inch LCD TV does not cost $1199. I did a check at Best Buy for LCD televisions between 40 and 49 inches, and not one of them was over $1000. The vast majority were under $700, and about 1/3 were under $600. That means that the base price they used in this analysis is almost 2 times higher than it should be. Add to that the nonsense of the cost for a DVR (most people get it with their cable), plus the ridiculous add-on for game console and receiver, and it just gets sad. The figures look more like an attempt to create parity between the non-Apple offering and what the analyst hopes Apple might sell a unit for.

Bottom line: if Apple introduces a 40 inch television that costs $2000, they'd better be prepared to watch it sit on shelves. It doesn't matter how compelling the total solution is - that price point is simply too high. You can buy 50 to 60 inch LED televisions in that price range (for less, actually) and many of them will ship with Netflix or Google TV built in. Perhaps those are inferior, but an offering from Apple, even including a TV pass and iOS games and applications... is not competitive enough at the price point indicated here.

This is a very flawed analysis. Although I can't make any guess as to whether or not Apple plans a TV, I can say that if they do make one, it better not come in at this price point, because that is a non-starter.
post #88 of 130
The idea of an Apple-branded HDTV is still farfetched, but it is not as farfetched as it once was. The TV market is changing. A few observations:
  • Netflix has a download service for computers, Blu-ray players, and TVs.
  • Many digital TV sets are Linux-based.
  • A growing number of "smart TVs" look an awful lot like huge iPads.
  • An iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch will make a great universal remote control that is truly "universal." Just like the iPhone has a nearly perfect emulator app for the HP48 handheld calculator, it should be possible to produce nearly perfect emulators for all models of remote controls for STBs, DVD players, Blu-ray players, and such like. The remote also need not require the user to remember channel numbers. Want to see college baseball on ESPN2? Press the ESPN2 button on the touch surface on the remote.
  • Apple sells the iPad at a price-point lower than some of the competition. It is practically giving away OS X Lion. One should not expect a substantial premium for the Apple-branded TV if it is ever comes to market.
  • TV models are updated annually, but individual owners may hold on to theirs for a decade or longer.
  • There is huge downward pressure on the price of TV sets. Many flatscreens today cost about the same as did larger tube-based sets of a decade ago.
  • OTA TV is not much of a problem. However, cable is a huge problem. Cable ISPs are much more fractured than cellphones. In some locations, you have a different cable provider if you move across the street.
  • Cable providers are naturally pricks. They are even more so because they have to kow-tow to bigtime Hollywood producers.
  • The TV must be compatible with satellite, IPTV, providers like Verizon FIOS and AT&T U-Verse.

This is an intriguing prospect for a number of reasons. One is that parts of the story are nearly impossible to believe. No current or former Apple executive would leak the story. He could be sued by Apple. If he were identified, then his new employer would not trust him. As I stated above, I don't believe the $2,000 price point.

The market for TV sets is a challenging one. However, if Apple decides to enter it, then I am confident that it has plans to overcome the challenges.

The things that makes this intriguing the possibilities of change brought by Apple. Apple persuaded the record labels to end DRM in the iTMS. It persuaded AT&T to give great data plans for the iPhone and iPad.

It would be wonderful if Apple could break the cable providers' fixation of scrambling. Customer hate the cable box, but the providers foist them on us anyway. The Federal Government mandated the CableCard, but many cable franchises refuse to provide them. The prospect of Steve Jobs taking on the hide-bound culture of the cable companies is very nice to think about.
post #89 of 130
Netflix, nobody can beat them, bla bla bla....

My bet is that Netflix eventually go the same way as Microsoft,Nokia,RIM,Sony,Nintendo and other supposedly 'untouchable' companies.

Google and/or Apple will assimilate or destroy them 100% for sure. I give them 3 years tops, and within that time the cracks will start showing.
post #90 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Netflix, nobody can beat them, bla bla bla....

My bet is that Netflix eventually go the same way as Microsoft,Nokia,RIM,Sony,Nintendo and other supposedly 'untouchable' companies.

I'm not sure what you mean when you use the term "go the same way as" in connection with household brands like Sony, Nokia, and Microsoft. While Apple has succeeded in bringing some challenges to their businesses, it is far from a fore-gone conclusion that they are all on their way out. Apple has a very narrow and very successful business... but it is not a business that is going to put a Sony, Microsoft, or Nokia under the table.

Of the bunch you mention, only RIM I think is truly at risk of being put to death by Apple.
post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Netflix, nobody can beat them, bla bla bla....

My bet is that Netflix eventually go the same way as Microsoft,Nokia,RIM,Sony,Nintendo and other supposedly 'untouchable' companies.

Google and/or Apple will assimilate or destroy them 100% for sure. I give them 3 years tops, and within that time the cracks will start showing.

Blockbuster might be a more apropos analogy.

All netflix has is deals with content owners which Apple also has, though in a different .way. If Apple wanted to push for the same catalog as netflix in the same distribution model as Netflix they could probably get it once Netflix's current contracts are over.

I believe I read that Showtime will not be renewing with Netflix so that is something. If Netflix starts getting holes in their catalog the way Hulu does then the service could be seen as undesirable.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #92 of 130
How has the cost of the requisite high-speed Internet connection been entered into the price comparison between the old way and the Apple TV way?
post #93 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about reasons it's not going to happen:

1. TV margins are razor thin.
2. Few consumers are going to pay a significant premium even for a better TV.
3. The market is immensely saturated and competition is intense.
4. A huge percentage of TVs are sold through mass market channels like Sam's Club, Walmart, Big Lots, etc - where there is absolutely no support available and no sales person to explain the advantages of the Apple HDTV.
5. An All-in-One TV makes no sense for home theatre. Can you imagine how bad the sound would be?

And so on.

Mobile phones margins are also thin (except for Apple mobile phones :-). And it's not about just margins, it about expanding ecosystem.
Sound would not be any worse then current Samsung or Sony TV, however there some new light digital amplifier technologies are available. From Sharp, for instance, this one pumps 70w per channel: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...iversal-player

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #94 of 130
I'd be surprised if any Apple-branded TV set was as simple as a rebadged set from another manufacturer with AppleTV integrated into the guts. Far more likely they'd design the thing in-house and do something unexpected. Apple is a disruptor. They never just make a product in a category any more.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

Reply
post #95 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You mean the "Incompetent Three"?

Absolutely.

AI loves to quote these three analysts with particularly poor track records.
post #96 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean when you use the term "go the same way as" in connection with household brands like Sony, Nokia, and Microsoft. While Apple has succeeded in bringing some challenges to their businesses, it is far from a fore-gone conclusion that they are all on their way out. Apple has a very narrow and very successful business... but it is not a business that is going to put a Sony, Microsoft, or Nokia under the table.

Of the bunch you mention, only RIM I think is truly at risk of being put to death by Apple.

I mean that people have said on this very forum, that all the above companies I mentioned had strangleholds which Apple could not or should not bother going up against. Apple has shoved every one of them aside and is now eating their lunch.
I'm sure none of them will disappear forever, but they sure are not the dominating beasts they once were.

And I see no decent reason why history will not repeat itself with netflix.

Thats a no brainer prediction IMO, and you are welcome to quote me on this in a couple of years.

Their best bet is to adopt Android in the long run. I see no other option. Same goes for RIM.
There is only room for one company to utilise Apples business model. Just as Apple was the last man standing against the likes of Amiga/Atari/Sinclair/Texas Instruments/ etc in the 80's 90's, history will repeat itself.
Jump on the android train or shut the company down and give the money back to the shareholders. Thats my advice! And I guarantee that HP fails in it's latest attempt to copy the Apple model as well.

Oh and as for Nokia and Microsoft, I look forward to seeing the comedy duo's next act. It should keep us entertained for at least a few more years.
post #97 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

BS

Apple moves their own hardware, keeps things simple, provides updates.

Limits sales to people who are in the market for a new TV.

In it's current form, that little black box known as Apple TV hooks up to any TV for a low cost.

Apple ma8y not always do what Apple is now doing. It used to not sell phones.

The problem with the aTV is that it is not really creating any kind of splash. And Apple is competing for input space on the TV.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #98 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Just run the optical out to your home theater system.
Did you expect any TV to replace a home theater system? If so, why?

No, I was trying to understand what the OP meant when he said that he replaced his "stereo" with an Apple TV. Out of all the A/V components, the only thing I could consider to be a stereo would be the receiver (since it usually has a radio tuner) which is generally the heart and soul of any home theater setup. If it had been the DVD player or CD player (or both) I could understand, but using the term "stereo" seems to say he gutted his system by removing the receiver portion and plugged an AppleTV (both audio and video) into his TV. And that would hardly result in a particularly good audio experience.
post #99 of 130
If Apple introduces the iTV I just hope that they don't kill the ATV.

They tend to offer very few different models in one category and to be honest my TV in the living room is larger than 30'' and the TVs in other rooms are a lot smaller (because of space constraints).

I have no problem with iTV as long as the keep selling the ATV.
post #100 of 130
You do understand the TV is the device you watch Netflix on and not Netflix itself? I rely on Netflix now as well. I, however, definitely think Apple is going this route. When I was shopping for my recent TV, I saw a Samsung TV I almost bought. It had tons of TV applications like Netflix, but it also had a full fledge web browser. I can see the TV eventually taking a big chunk out of PC sales for people who aren't big computer users. If I can surf the Internet, read my email, and do other things typically associated on the TV, why would I buy a computer as well? I found the feature very enticing. It was cool because you could surf the internet and at the small time watch the TV in a smaller box like picture in picture.

At the end of the day, I didn't buy that set because 1) cost was a bit higher then a wanted to spend, 2) Samsung's picture quality stinks in relation to Sharp, 3) Sharp's TV was designed better, and 4) I couldn't see myself supporting a foreign company that likes to rip everybody else off. I was tempted though.

TV applications are the next big thing. TV is a perfect fit for Apple. Apple provides the hardware along with seamless integration of Apple's other devices. App developers have another iOS device to make money on. Apple hedges its bets agains the future when PCs might be irrelevant for many. I was in a bankruptcy proceeding the other day. The government assistant was using an iPad with an attached keyboard to conduct business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I don't believe it's true in the least. For starters, how would bundling iTunes with a TV blow Netflix away? I can pay $7.99/month and watch all the TV shows and movies I want. iTunes does not offer any comparable rental service. Also, I can watch Netflix on my Wii in one bedroom, PS3 in the living room, my Macbook Pros and iPhones. Even if Apple did offer a comparable rental service, with Netflix, I'm not locked to an Apple-branded device.
post #101 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All you naysayers will be lining up around the Apple Store for iTV.

Nope, why over pay for a TV just to over pay for some movies?
post #102 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

My ATV replaced my stereo in my loving room so I was able to get rid of the components and all the attendant wires, pwr plugs, ugly pwr bricks, etc.

While I give you credit for having a loving room, may I ask what you plug your speakers into now you have got rid of your stereo?
post #103 of 130
I am not sure apple would do the whole tv set. I think its more likely that they would put the tv inside other brands of tv's, or as the tv evolves I could see an even smaller device (thinks ipod nano sized) with and HDMI male output that plugs directly into an existing tv. The remote, if IR is an obstacle. i bet they'd figure that out in short order though.
Also, is the any power provided through HDMI? I'm not sure off the top if it is...
My large flat screen is wall mounted and there is easily enough room for the smaller plug-in device i described. Just think of it, take the screen and battery off the ipod touch or nano and it would be very compact.
just a thought
post #104 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple is the only company with a chance to provide a TV product that can give your living room one simple remote control. Like when the remote originally came out, you had one per living room. I'd like that elegant simplicity again.

http://www.logitech.com/remotes/universal-remotes

You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Just run the optical out to your home theater system.
Did you expect any TV to replace a home theater system? If so, why?

Because someone was suggesting that an iTV would be an all-in-one device and replace all the other electronics.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #105 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

Here are 12 reasons I see it happen:

1. Apple has been selling computer displays for a decades and they've often featured best in class. What's a TV but a monitor with a tuner?
2. Jobs has always wanted to follow in Sony's footsteps.
3. Remember the speaker system that Apple sold? Jobs likes electronics.
4. Apple likes to reinvent things. Why not TV next?
5. Apple wants to control the whole ecosystem with computing. With mobile. Soon with TV.
6. An Apple TV with your iPhone/iPod/iPad as a remote control. Natural.
7. Apple could get fetch a bigger margin on TVs than anybody in the world.
8. It's a big market.
9. Apps on the biggest screen in the house...makes a lot of sense.
10. Apple will sell the thing with ONE cable that will handle every input and output.
11. It's a perfect way to sell more content on iTunes
12. It will probably have a great audio system included. All in One.

1. Actually, aside from the case, Apple displays have often been criticized for inaccurate color and for being overpriced.
2. No he doesn't. The companies are completely the opposite: Apple sells a small number of different products and Sony has tens of thousands. Apple is highly profitable and has huge margins and Sony has tiny margins and has been losing money for years.
3. Apple sold Harmon-Kardon's speaker system the same way they sell replacement ink for the printers they sell. What's your point?
4. Because it's a commodity market and as Steve has said in the past, it's impossible to compete at the set top box level because of the decentralization of the industry.
6. There are many electronic products that already have remote control apps that work on the iPod.
7. Only if they overprice them.
9. It only makes sense if the apps are designed for the screen, which they're not. Remember how bad iPhone apps that weren't designed for the iPad looked on the iPad?
10. No they won't. Either it will have multiple inputs and outputs, so you could hookup your cable, Blu-ray player, and receiver for decent sound or it won't and you won't be able to hookup any of those devices and Apple will attempt to lock you in to their eco-system, which worked for music because they were able to get deals with all the labels, but won't work for TV because they'll never get the rights to all shows and events.
11. Actually, it could be the opposite. If you spend more time watching TV shows or movies, you spend less time listening to iTunes. Besides, I don't want to listen to iTunes via TV set crappy speakers.
12. No it won't. It will have some crappy desktop system embedded. People have completely forgotten what good audio sounds like because iTunes and other portable listening has killed the hi-fi industry except perhaps for home theatre enthusiasts.
post #106 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAppleW View Post

Here are 12 reasons I see it happen:

1. Apple has been selling computer displays for a decades and they've often featured best in class. What's a TV but a monitor with a tuner?
2. Jobs has always wanted to follow in Sony's footsteps.
3. Remember the speaker system that Apple sold? Jobs likes electronics.
4. Apple likes to reinvent things. Why not TV next?
5. Apple wants to control the whole ecosystem with computing. With mobile. Soon with TV.
6. An Apple TV with your iPhone/iPod/iPad as a remote control. Natural.
7. Apple could get fetch a bigger margin on TVs than anybody in the world.
8. It's a big market.
9. Apps on the biggest screen in the house...makes a lot of sense.
10. Apple will sell the thing with ONE cable that will handle every input and output.
11. It's a perfect way to sell more content on iTunes
12. It will probably have a great audio system included. All in One.

1. And televisions are a market with no room for profit, even when you're making the parts yourself.
2. Nope.
3. Great, you never had a legitimate reason for this list at all, did you?
4. Because they already have. With Apple TV. You can't reinvent the HARDWARE of a TV; the software is what needs it.
5. And they do. With Apple TV. Because there's nothing to CONTROL inside a TV.
6. And you can do this now.
7. Nope.
8. Nope.
9. And we'll have that with the A5 Apple TV, but not the stupid applications that are actually in the App Store. It will have its own apps. Called channels. And you'll buy them a la carte.
10. That's completely stupid. No one is going to repurchase their sound systems and no company is going to modify their set top boxes to work. Therefore no one would buy the thing. Ever.
11. That's why the Apple TV exists. For HEAVEN'S sake.
12. When you can magically include 7.1 surround sound in a box sitting directly in front of me, I'll consider it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #107 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Yeah this sounds too made up. A former Apple exec? What executive, senior enough to know about their plans, has left recently? And wouldn't s/he be under a strict NDA anyway? The NDA doesn't disappear once you leave the company. Also, the "inside" info seems a bit generic. Anybody with a cursory knowledge of Apple and their rumored TV plans could come up with those quotes.

Edit: upon re-reading this article, I am further convinced that it is complete bull$hit. No way.

Such a TV would be a flop, not enough demand for it. Why spend $800 more on a TV when you could get a really nice standard LCD & pick up an ATV for $99.
post #108 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Or maybe they might just finance a player that's willing to deliver the kind of cheap fast service that's the norm in Japan?
We've paid so much in the US for our internet infrastructure and received so little from the telcos.

As far as I know no US teleco or ISP is willing to make that big of a jump for any reason. Google is neither, but is rolling out 1Gb/s fiber optics currently, in kansas I believe.
post #109 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

All you naysayers will be lining up around the Apple Store for iTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If it offers the same or very similar rental features as Netflix why can't they maybe not beat them, but strongly compete?



I agree, sports is the only thing keeping me tethered to cable tv. If someone could find a way to get live sports on apple tv or any similar device I'd dump comcast and get a *tv box.



They did try to do the Volkswagen iPod car a handful of years ago, but the deal fell through (reportedly). Apple doesn't make cars, but they tried to get VW to put iPod like device and more into cars. Why not a TV?

For the people saying "BS" and false will you return and admit to being wrong if this time next year Apple is offering HDTVs at their stores and in Best Buy? Some here love to make bold claims as if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Sounds possible. Hopefully Apple does it right.

At least some people in here have vision. ha ha

I don't know why there are so many doubters. Regardless of this article, I think it is a natural path for Apple to take. For those who ask who would buy an Apple branded TV? You would and so would millions of others. Why? Because Apple takes things we take for granted, and revolutionizes how we think about them. In hind sight we say "How did we ever use the old one?"

Maybe the Netflix comment threw people off. Of course it will have iTunes bundled with it. You will have all of the content and subscription options available through ITMS. But that does not mean it will not have normal provider input options like satellite and cable.

It just means everything will be tightly integrated with an Apple GUI. One of the major reasons I don't use my 1st generation and current Apple TVs is because it is outside my normal TV viewing mode of operation. I have to change the input and then grab the other remote. Yes, I know that we do this with the DVD player too but that is the point. It needs to be integrated so that it is part of our normal TV viewing experience.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #110 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I don't know why there are so many doubters.

Because it's nonsense.

Quote:
In hind sight we say "How did we ever use the old one?"

And they'll have us saying that about our set top boxes when the A5 Apple TV comes out.

Quote:
It just means everything will be tightly integrated with an Apple GUI.

Which is already taken care of by Apple TV.

Quote:
It needs to be integrated so that it is part of our normal TV viewing experience.

A5 Apple TV will remove all need to switch inputs away from it. You want 'vision'? THAT is vision: the death of cable and satellite.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #111 of 130
I don't think Apple can roll out a TV until ATV2 is perfect, and I don't think it is. I think there also needs to be a better streaming option for non iTunes content. I personally don't want to rely on having my computer on anymore.

It would be awesome, though, if the Apple comes out with a TV that mimics Quicktime's bezeless display... all picture, floating on the wall. That would be cool.
post #112 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope.

Agreed.

I think it is possible they prototyped it, but then decided it wasn't the best move.

The TV part has too many licenses and deals that would have to be worked out. Plus it would be a pain to deal with on the retail side.

Add to this that the real power is the content not the hardware. To compete with all the other stuff they would have to have same day posting of tv show episodes preferably on a subscription system leveraging rental files that could be downloaded again if you wanted to repeat view something. Plus all the shows from all the nets right away (no more HBO and Showtime waiting until the home video release for the rentals) and so on. And you can do that and run it with the existing little black box.

Next step is to get a blu-ray quality HD file that lacks the huge file size overhead and getting folks on board with building feature sets etc. Preferably in a way where you can watch it on your tv, your i-devices and your computer with one buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

On TV, live sporting events are all that matter. Unless Apple can find a way to overcome the contractual obligations of sports teams to the networks than this idea is a non-starter.

There's already the NBA and MLB apps on the ATV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I do not know if I believe the story, but I believe Apple is working on a TV. Google is working on a TV. Apple likely doesn't want to give Google an inch.

but that last assumption doesn't equal to Apple making a TV.

Google's downfall was content. They didn't make the proper deals and got shut down by the folks they ignored.

Apple is not making that mistake. They are working on the content every day. ANd they will likely get it. And they won't need an Apple Branded TV set to make it work. The little black box and the tv of your choice will be just fine

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #113 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it's nonsense.



And they'll have us saying that about our set top boxes when the A5 Apple TV comes out.



Which is already taken care of by Apple TV.



A5 Apple TV will remove all need to switch inputs away from it. You want 'vision'? THAT is vision: the death of cable and satellite.

Going by how hard it has been for Apple to work with the TV networks, I have serious doubts the Apple TV will kill Satellite or cable. Perhaps, but not a given. My point is that the hardware and GUI integration with the TV is coming. That has not happened yet. I don't understand when you say it has already been taken care of by Apple TV.

As the iPod showed us, the Apple hardware will drive the use of the Apple content. It has not worked yet because the hardware has not been successful yet. Therefore the content providers do not feel the pressure to support it. We know the music content providers reluctantly works with Apple because they know that is where the market is. It is not the same with TV. But, if Apple can make a TV that everybody wants, then who knows...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #114 of 130
If they ever do that they need to make the iOS electronics upgradable. Somekind of plug-in module that could be integreated inside the TV but with easy access. TV normal lifespand requires it. Your not going to replace a 40" TV every 2 years and after 5 years + the iOS hardware is going to be completed out of date and youre going to end up with external devices again.
post #115 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If they ever do that they need to make the iOS electronics upgradable. Somekind of plug-in module. TV normal lifespand requires it. Your not going to replace a 40" TV every 2 years or people will just boycott it.

And if you refuse to believe that Apple wouldn't make a TV because it doesn't fit anywhere near their normal profit/price boundaries, THIS is the clincher. Apple would NEVER make it upgradable.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #116 of 130
WRT an integrated GUI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is already taken care of by Apple TV.

Not really. You still have to deal with the UI of the other (inevitably) associated devices. The worst of these is often the TV itself.

As far as other sources, optical disks and on air TV aren't disappearing, especially when you lose your Internet connection. Then theres the huge number of people who don't have access to sufficiently "broad" band to support decent TV content.
post #117 of 130
A former Apple executive informed me that the iTV will feature motion sensors that allow you to interact with porn actors and actresses while masturbating. iJerk will retail for $1000 with a $200 leather splash guard as an add on accessory.
post #118 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You'll go into an Apple retail store and be able to walk out with a TV. It's perfect," the source said.

You would have to be pretty strong. I imagine it would be quite heavy wouldn't it?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #119 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Cool.... hope this rumor is right. Still have yet to buy a flat screen and ever since I heard rumor of this... someplace.... I decided to hold off. I always wondered why nobody was building a DVR right into the TV.

Huh? LG have had DVRs built into some of their TVs for at least 4 years. I considered them when I bought my plasma.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #120 of 130
I don't think this is far-fetched. In fact it seems like the logical next step Apple should take in the expansion of their business.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple rumored to be working on iOS-powered HDTVs for late 2011