or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September

Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September

post #1 of 50
A new report late has lent credence to rumors that Apple's next iPhone will arrive in September and feature the A5 processor and an 8-megapixel camera, and also claims that a new iPad with a higher resolution screen is being tested by the company.

Two people familiar with Apple's plans relayed the information to Bloomberg, while also bolstering rumors that Apple is working on a higher resolution iPad. Apple's next iPhone "will include the A5 processor, the more powerful chip that Apple added to the iPad 2 earlier this year, along with an 8-megapixel camera, up from the 5-megapixel model in the iPhone 4," said the publication's sources.

As is to be expected, the new device would come with iOS 5, which is due out this fall, according to people familiar with the matter. Sources also said the new iPhone would closely resemble the iPhone 4.

AppleInsider reported in April that the so-called iPhone 5 will sport the A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2 and a higher resolution 8 megapixel rear camera, and would begin production in August. Numerous other reports have pointed to similar details for the next-generation iPhone.

The report's insiders also rekindled a rumor that Apple is working on a cheaper version of the iPhone for emerging markets using "chips and displays of similar quality to today's iPhone 4." Rumors of a low-cost iPhone emerged this spring, though there is some disagreement regarding the details of the project.

"Apple is also testing a new version of the iPad that has a higher resolution screen, similar to the one now used in the iPhone 4," the Bloomberg report cited sources as saying. The iPhone 4 currently features a Retina Display with a resolution of 960 x 640 and a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch. The resolution of the next-generation iPad would be about "one-third higher" than the iPad 2's display and will feature a more responsive touchscreen, people said.

Various reports have suggested the iPad could see a display upgrade that would double the tablet's linear resolution to 2048 x 1536. Last week, double-resolution iPad images in the iOS 5 beta sparked renewed speculation that Apple is planning the improved display.

Also last week, an unverified report from Taiwan's Economic Daily claimed Apple will launch the iPad 3 in the fourth quarter with "image resolution 5-6 times higher than iPad 2." If the number of pixels of the current iPad 2 were multiplied by 5-6 times, the resulting pixel density would be 330 ppi and 396 ppi respectively.

Such a solution would be less elegant, however, than the simple doubled resolution of the iPhone 4 compared to the iPhone 3GS. Apple designed iOS to automatically scale existing apps to the higher resolution of the iPhone 4, while also allowing developers to provide custom artwork that would make Retina versions of iPhone 4 apps look "exceptional."
post #2 of 50
Best buy unlocked so by the time a new one comes out in the usual timeframe next year, it wouldn't be tied up to a contract. I will.
post #3 of 50
Hot damn
post #4 of 50
I'd much rather have a camera with a faster shutter than one with higher resolution. When I look at my iPhone 4 pictures, most problems have to do with blurred movement, not lack of resolution.
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd much rather have a camera with a faster shutter than one with higher resolution. When I look at my iPhone 4 pictures, most problems have to do with blurred movement, not lack of resolution.

Hey, the 1st three comments were made by users who all created their account in April. Touche
post #6 of 50
Let's hope the iPad 3 also gets voice capabilities!
Gotta get ahead of the "Ice Cream Sandwich" Tsunami!
post #7 of 50
I thought the new rumour for the iPad display was that it would be getting a higher res, but only about 1/3 more resolution? What I assume is XGA (1024x768) to SXGA+ (1400x1050) per the rumour.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 50
What about the iPod Touch? Will it get an A5? I want to hear a reported rumor about that. I've read that usually it gets the same processor as the iPhones. Has that always been the case?
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What about the iPod Touch? Will it get an A5? I want to hear a reported rumor about that. I've read that usually it gets the same processor as the iPhones. Has that always been the case?

Same processor? Yes. Sometimes even clocked higher than the iPhone.

Same amount of RAM on package? No.

Same resolution display? Yes.

Same quality display? No.
post #10 of 50
My guess is that this alleged 1/3 higher resolution iPad is just an engineering sample and not intended as a production candidate. It'll never get beyond the DVT stage.

Apple prototypes hundreds of devices a year and only a few designs make it to market. It would make sense that there would be some oddities like this speculated one.
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider999 View Post

I paid

Phishing much?
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #12 of 50
Damn......I was gonna switch to Verizon today [from AT&T] and get the iPhone 4.....now what????????.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
post #13 of 50
Quote:

I paid ...

What, no "enhancement" products?
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

There are three key variables that control a photo's exposure: shutter speed, aperture and ISO (light sensitivity.)

Most of the time, a blurred photo is due to dim light conditions which require the camera to use a slower shutter speed. Forcing the camera to use a faster shutter speed in such situations might eliminate the motion blur but would also result in an underexposed photo.

A larger lens aperture would certainly help, but it's physically impossible to cram a huge lens into a 9.3mm thick device.

The third variable is the camera's ISO setting (sensitivity). What you're really asking for is an iPhone camera with better light sensitivity. Low light performance generally correlates with a lower pixel density image sensor. This is a key reason why a professional camera with an 8mp sensor will easily outperform a pocket camera with 12mp (better dynamic range & less noise at high ISO settings.)

Unfortunately, cramming more megapixels into the same tiny sensor has the opposite effect, so the iPhone 5's "upgrade" to an 8 megapixel sensor will likely result in poorer low light performance.
post #15 of 50
Quote:

I paid ..

If you're going to spam an Apple Forum at least falsely advertise cheap Apple goods to try and get hits.

Guess scum like you don't even have a basic education but come on!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

Damn......I was gonna switch to Verizon today [from AT&T] and get the iPhone 4.....now what????????.....

Why do so many people think about buying iPhones when a new model is just around the corner?
post #17 of 50
People, if you're going to reply to a spammer, please don't quote the web site or other identifying information, remove that info from the reply. That way, it's easier to clean up after the spammer. Thanks.
post #18 of 50
Another explanation for 'only' 1/3 more resolution is a switch from 'square screen' resolution (aka TV 4:3) to 'wide screen' resolution (aka HD-TV 16:9). Do the math --
((16/9)-(4/3))/(4/3) = 1/3 more.

So instead of a 1024x768 XGA screen, you'd have a 1366x768 WXGA screen. This enables 720p HD-TV resolution on the iPad, making it a nice match for the iPad's optional HDMI adapter.
It would also remove one of the 'advantages' of the Motorola's Xoom Android tablet which is already HD resolution at 1280x800.
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Why do so many people think about buying iPhones when a new model is just around the corner?

Maybe they need a phone NOW?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnovak View Post

Another explanation for 'only' 1/3 more resolution is a switch from 'square screen' resolution (aka TV 4:3) to 'wide screen' resolution (aka HD-TV 16:9). Do the math --
((16/9)-(4/3))/(4/3) = 1/3 more.

So instead of a 1024x768 XGA screen, you'd have a 1366x768 WXGA screen. This enables 720p HD-TV resolution on the iPad, making it a nice match for the iPad's optional HDMI adapter.
It would also remove one of the 'advantages' of the Motorola's Xoom Android tablet which is already HD resolution at 1280x800.

Apple thought long and hard about the aspect ratio. 16:9 makes no sense on a tablet that will be used for heavy reading. 4:3 is here to stay. If all you want to do is watch movies then some 16:9 ratio would be better, but you'll get letter boxing.
post #21 of 50
Quote:

New models are ALWAYS "around the corner", and until they're announced and available (usually two separate dates!), they're just vaporware. As soon as the new one is announced, there will be speculation about the NEXT new model -- you could wait forever!

In March, I sold my iPad 1 and bought an iPad 2 because I recognized the VALUE of the 2nd version to ME (HDMI adapter, rear camera, and the 'cool' magnetic on/off cover/stand), even tho there was already iPad 3 speculation, and the iPad 2' was being 'panned' for "lack" of a retina display, and a lower-resolution rear camera (which I find fine for video and scanning QR codes).

My iPad 2 upgrade has been well worth the expense. And if the iPad 3 offers additional enhanced VALUE (to me), I may upgrade to that as well. A side benefit to this is that I keep getting additional value, along with a new WARRANTY. And a year old machine sold at a reduced price of a new one has attractive VALUE to someone else as well!
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple thought long and hard about the aspect ratio. 16:9 makes no sense on a tablet that will be used for heavy reading. 4:3 is here to stay. If all you want to do is watch movies then some 16:9 ratio would be better, but you'll get letter boxing.

If you view the iPad as a super-Kindle, you're absolutely right about the 'heavy reading'. However, I "consume" all sorts of content on my iPad 2, including wide-screen films from Netflix & Hulu. And with the iPad 2's HDMI adapter, you can deliver wide screen iPad 2 content to your HD-TV in the correct aspect ratio.

As movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than HD-TV, anytime you watch a movie without letterboxing, some of the original width has been cropped to fit the 16:9 HD-TV display -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Anyway, we'll find out when iPad 3 is actually announced. Companies CAN change their minds because the original reason for a design point may no longer be valid in light of new component technologies or new device uses not previously envisioned.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

That would be great. Did anybody do the math? Will the iPad be able to display HD video in 1080p while letterboxed into 16:9?

1) I think iOS 5.0 allows the iPad 2 to play 1080p content.

2) What math are you referring to? The resolution is the resolution. The only math that needs to be done and I've done it many times before so won't do it again here is the total number of pixels that will pushed to the display and how that will affect other component.
post #24 of 50
Quote:

So... you think everyone buys on launch day or gives a flying frick about new models at all?

Quote:

Will the iPad be able to display HD video in 1080p while letterboxed into 16:9?

Uh, 1080p by definition demands that it itself IS 16:9. Not sure what you're saying here.

Yes, the iPad 2 running an A5 chip and iOS 5 can have 1080p video files copied over to it. I believe they also play.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #25 of 50
Quote:

If you view the iPad as a super-Kindle, you're absolutely right about the 'heavy reading'. However, I "consume" all sorts of content on my iPad 2, including wide-screen films from Netflix & Hulu. And with the iPad 2's HDMI adapter, you can deliver wide screen iPad 2 content to your HD-TV in the correct aspect ratio.

As movies are shot in a different aspect ratio than HD-TV, anytime you watch a movie without letterboxing, some of the original width has been cropped to fit the 16:9 HD-TV display -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Anyway, we'll find out when iPad 3 is actually announced. Companies CAN change their minds because the original reason for a design point may no longer be valid in light of new component technologies or new device uses not previously envisioned.

Super Kindle? Really? You don't read emails? You don't read web pages? You're also forgetting the effort that was put into the design and the upcoming Newsstand. I'd say reading of some sort is done on the iPad more than watching widescreen videos.

You're also ignoring the reason why Apple went with 4:3 ratio. I predicted this back as far as 2007 that 16:9 wasn't going to work in portrait mode and Apple would be using something close to 4:3. Turns out I was right and there are plenty of reviews that show that other tablets only excel at watching widescreen videos, which isn't an issue when you have the display <2 feet from your face.
post #26 of 50
Quote:

1) I think iOS 5.0 allows the iPad 2 to play 1080p content

1080p requires a 2 megapixel display and a 16:9 aspect (1920x1080); the current display is 0.8 megapixel at 4:3 aspect (1024x768 XGA). An iPad hardware upgrade is required to enable iOS 5.0 to display 1080p.

A new iPad 3 'retina' display 4x the resolution of the current one (2048x1536 QXGA) would allow continuation of screen scalability (4x mode in addition to 2x), as well as have sufficient pixels to display 1080p within its borders, and may even allow multiple video modes automatically, depending on how the application was originally designed.

For an illustration of ALL the screen resolutions for the last 30 years (since the original IBM PC introduced CGA graphics), see this link:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dards2.svg.png

(for the record, a 1080p HD-TV can show 32 IBM PC CGA displays simultaneously)
post #27 of 50
Quote:

Super Kindle? Really? You don't read emails? You don't read web pages? You're also forgetting the effort that was put into the design and the upcoming Newsstand. I'd say reading of some sort is done on the iPad more than watching widescreen videos.

You're right, I read email, news, websites, etc. MUCH more than I view videos.
post #28 of 50
Quote:

What I mean is that the 16:9 HD image will be displayed letterboxed on the iPad screen.

Any content that doesn't match the aspect ratio will be letterboxed or cropped. This is the same for 16:9 displays trying to play 1.85 or 2.35 ratio video.

Quote:

1080p requires a 2 megapixel display and a 16:9 aspect (1920x1080); the current display is 0.8 megapixel at 4:3 aspect (1024x768 XGA). An iPad hardware upgrade is required to enable iOS 5.0 to display 1080p.

Why do you people confuse the content with the display. As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.
post #29 of 50
Quote:

When displaying HD content in 16:9, will the picture be 1080 pixels tall? Or some other number?

Some other number - the 1080p video has to be scaled to fit the physical resolution of the display. The letterboxing you see on HD on iPad is because the PHYSICAL screen is 4:3 trying to display 16:9 content.

Right now, I think a 1080p video on iPad 2 would play in the equivalent of 480p letterboxed resolution. True 1080p would require the 4x 'retina display' being talked about for iPad 3.
post #30 of 50
Why is so much effort spent on resolution of content and displays as if they are one and the same. I'll take Apple's 720p at a higher total bit rate over YouTube's 1080p at a lower total bit rate any day. I think MS was doing the same thing with their 1080p on Xbox Live.

Quote:

You're right, I read email, news, websites, etc. MUCH more than I view videos.

I'd love for the iPad to display a movie in 1:2.35 aspect ratio for some movies but until we can displays that will morph with the design as needed I think 4:3 is the best all around solution.
post #31 of 50
Quote:

Why do you people confuse the content with the display. As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.

You're probably right. But unless Apple hid a 2 megapixel display (1920x1080) in the iPad 1 and 2, you will need a hardware upgrade to see all 2 million pixels of 1080p. Otherwise, what you see will be scaled down to what the hardware can actually display.
post #32 of 50
Quote:

When displaying HD content in 16:9, will the picture be 1080 pixels tall? Or some other number?

No, of course not. It's limited to the height of the display. The iPad is 4:3, by the way.

Quote:

As I previously stated, I think iOS 5.0 will finally allow you to load and play 1080p content.

You can drop the 'I think'.

Quote:

You're probably right. But unless Apple hid a 2 megapixel display (1920x1080) in the iPad 1 and 2, you will need a hardware upgrade to see all 2 million pixels of 1080p. Otherwise, what you see will be scaled down to what the hardware can actually display.

You've never heard of "30-pin out to a projector", have you?

Heck, you've never heard of AirPlay, have you?

post #33 of 50
Quote:

I never made that mistake. You did. I want to know if the iPad will be able to display HD content with 1080 lines of vertical resolution.

I don't care if it can "play" some sort of downscaled resolution of an HD file. I want to know if it can display 1080p video without rejiggering the vertical resolution to less than 1080 lines of resolution, or otherwise destroying the HD presentation?

When displaying 16:9 content on the new screen, how many vertial lines of screen resolution will be available for the picture? 1080? Less?

Can I be any more clear?

You made the mistake, because you choose not to be clear. As I previously stated I think iOS 5.0 will allow the iPad 2 to load 1080p content and play them. The display on the iPad 2 is still 1024x768 so it's not displaying the content as 1080p but it decoding it and then scaling it. If you use an adapter to an external monitor that supports 1080p then the iPad will still be able to process the 10180p content and the external monitor will be able to display it. You're constant use of "the iPad" without qualifying which component of "the iPad" is clear you aren't understanding the differences between these vertical line designations between input and output. You've also ignored my comments about movies not being in 16:9 but a much wider aspect ratio that will also be cropped or letterboxed. This isn't going to change! Neither will Apple's smart use of the 4:3 ratio on the iPad.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've never heard of "30-pin out to a projector", have you?
Heck, you've never heard of AirPlay, have you?

Derision isn't helpful. And I have heard of both ways of getting iPad content to a high resolution DISPLAY. But unless the iPad 1 or 2 has a display ADAPTER capable of generating 1080p's 2 million pixels in the first place, what iOS 5.0 will give you is 480p generated by an iPad 1/2 ADAPTER scaled up to 1080p on an HD-TV. Scaled = fuzzier 1080p than if the iPad 1/2 adapter could generate the 2 megapixels in the first place. Now perhaps Apple has already included a 2 megapixel video adapter in iPad 1 & 2, and has just been waiting for iOS 5 to 'unlock' the capabilities. If so, you're right - iOS will allow true 1080p. But if current iPad display adapters are less than 2 megapixels resolution, then you will need a hardware upgrade like iPad 3 to get a higher resolution display ADAPTER to use HDMI or AirPlay to see true, sharp, 1080p without scaling.

For an example, look at your own PC/Mac. Your display settings are based on the graphics adapter's capabilities, not what the screen can actually display.
post #35 of 50
Quote:

movies not being in 16:9 but a much wider aspect ratio that will also be cropped or letterboxed

For the record, most movies are shot in 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 This compares to 1.33:1 (4:3) and 1.77:1 (16:9).

A movie shot in 1.85:1 is very close to HD-TV's 1.77:1, so it can be shown on HD-TV without letterboxing and very little loss of edge information. But a movie shot in 2:39:1 would require significant horizontal cropping or letterboxing to fit a 1080p display. There are some "cinema" rated TVs and projectors with wider aspect ratios. A 2.37:1 display (and adapter!) resolution equals 2560x1080 (as opposed to 1080p's 1920x1080).
post #36 of 50
Quote:

But unless the iPad 1 or 2 has a display ADAPTER capable of generating 1080p's 2 million pixels in the first place,

Seriously, what are you talking about? Do you know how outputting to a display/projector works? Do you know what happens?

Also, the iPad doesn't do "480p" natively and the adapters do up convert to 1080p.

post #37 of 50
Quote:

Plenty of pixels to display HD in 1080p. Is my math correct? Anybody?

Yes -- PLENTY of pixels for iPad 3 to display 1080p. Perhaps it's my fault to assume that iPad 1 & iPad 2 will ALSO be upgradeable to iOS5. THOSE devices won't be able to display true 1080p.

We are talking about two different things here: iOS 5.0 software upgrade and iPad 3 hardware upgrade. I think the original contention was: "iOS 5 will allow 1080p". Probably TRUE on iPad 3 (rumors), probably false for 15+ million iPad 1/2 owners.
post #38 of 50
Quote:

THOSE devices won't be able to display true 1080p.

Unless you use a projector or external display. YES.

Quote:
I think the original contention was: "iOS 5 will allow 1080p". Probably TRUE on iPad 3 (rumors), probably false for 15+ million iPad 1/2 owners.

No, it's not false. We have people running iOS 5 and using 1080p content already.

post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you know how outputting to a display/projector works?.

Sure I do. I've been working with technology 34 years and was at IBM when the first PC came out in 1981. But I'm as human as the next Nerd and can make mistakes. I think we're just misunderstanding each other (comparing apples to oranges, if you'll ignore the pun!).

Based on the rumors, it sounds as if iPad 3 will have a much higher (4x) resolution 2048x1536) display adapter so that iOS 5.0 on it will not only display true 1080p, but also project/AirPlay it. Right?

The confusion here, is that iOS 5.0 will probably also run on 15+ million iPad 1 & 2 units. But the display adapter on these units is only 1024x768 -- a lower hardware resolution than needed for true 1080p.

A software upgrade such as iOS 5.0 cannot by itself fulfill new hardware requirements. So unless Apple included a 2 megapixel display adapter in iPad 1 and 2 units but restricted it to 1024x768, and is only now "unlocking" this hardware with iOS 5.0, owners of older iPads won't be able to AirPlay/project true 1080p video. Right?

It's like if hackers could convert HD-TV firmware (software) on older HD-TVs to make them 3D HD-TVs...
post #40 of 50
Quote:

Nice to know that the new iPad will finally be able to display HD content in HD resolution on the screen built into the device.

But we DON'T know this.

Quote:

Based on the rumors, it sounds as if iPad 3 will have a much higher (4x) resolution 2048x1536) display adapter so that iOS 5.0 on it will not only display true 1080p, but also project/AirPlay it. Right?

Sure, if the rumor's true.

Quote:
The confusion here, is that iOS 5.0 will probably also run on 15+ million iPad 1 & 2 units. But the display adapter on these units is only 1024x768 -- a lower hardware resolution than needed for true 1080p.

And that's where you're wrong. The iPad 2 has always done 1080p out for video, even with iOS 4. iOS 5 will definitely keep that.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September