or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September

Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September - Page 2

post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We have people running iOS 5 and using 1080p content already.

Then you know something I don't know. But ask them if the 1080p content displays without scaling. If so, I apologize, and Apple has been hiding higher capable hardware in iPad 1 and/or 2 units, which only being "unlocked" with iOS 5.0.
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPad 2 has always done 1080p out for video

I see that in the specs, but according to this... http://hd.engadget.com/2011/03/02/th...g-to-see-here/
...it can't do 1080p H.264, only 720p H.264. How exactly are your people showing 1080p?
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd much rather have a camera with a faster shutter than one with higher resolution. When I look at my iPhone 4 pictures, most problems have to do with blurred movement, not lack of resolution.

But if you increase the shutter speed, there wouldn't be enough of an exposure unless they were able to increase shutter sensitivity and/or reduce noise, so that you'd be shooting at a higher ISO. But reducing noise is tough on such a small sensor. And the lens is so small, you're probably shooting at the equivalent of at least f11, so you're already stopped down quite a bit and without a larger lens, there's no way to open the lens more.

But you're right about resolution. Higher resolution will compound the problem because the photosites on the sensor will be closer together, generating heat, which causes noise in the image.

But that's the compromise when you shoot with a small lens/sensor. It's amazing it gets the quality that it does. While smartphone cameras are starting to kill off the low end of the point-and-shoot camera business, that's the difference between them. The larger the lens and sensor, the more quality you're usually going to get (and vice-versa). That's why pros shoot with "full frame" bodies - with sensors that are at lesat the same size as 35mm film was (36x24mm).
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

It will not play 1080p content. It upconverts (or the TV upconverts) from 720p.

NOPE. If you'd pay attention to the rest of the thread, it does 1080p video. In iOS 5, it'll do 1080p video even straight from the Movies app.

Quote:
Look at the section on codecs. It cannot even play 1080p, much less display it, and cannot even output it over HDMI.

Except that's iOS 4. in iOS 5 you can do 1080.

Quote:
Will iOS5 be able to play true HD?

Since we already know the answer is yes, yes.

Quote:
The iPad3 seems to be able to display it,

You keep acting like you know this.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #45 of 50
Quote:

Nope.

It will not play 1080p content. It upconverts (or the TV upconverts) from 720p.

Look at the section on codecs. It cannot even play 1080p, much less display it, and cannot even output it over HDMI.

The best you can possibly be doing is displaying 720p content upconverted to a 1080p screen.

Will iOS5 be able to play true HD? The iPad3 seems to be able to display it, if the OS can deal with it...

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/06/f...y-capabilities

Not sure for video but for games it will be able to output FullHD i.e. 1080p.

"The upcoming AirPlay functionality of Real Racing 2 HD will provide the same experience as the current wired method.

Full-screen, gorgeous 1080p (1920 x 1080) visuals
No black borders
No scaling full HD
Silky smooth 30 frames per second
Dual-screen racing real time telemetry on your iPad 2"
post #46 of 50
Quote:

OK, I'll attempt the arithmetic.

We've got a width of 2048 pixels. that is the 16. 2048/16=128

So we need to calculate whether, after letterboxing, there will be 1080 lines available vertically.

Let's see - so we have a total of 1536 lines available. We need 9 blocks of pixels, the same size as before, in order to dispay the height.

Each block of pixels is 128 pixels. So 9 * 128 = 1152!

Plenty of pixels to display HD in 1080p. Is my math correct? Anybody?

Except if we're responding to the birthersXXXXXXXX strict 1080p-ers, the horizontal needs to be exactly 1080*16/9 = 1920, so we'll need to drop 2048-1920 = 128 of horizontal pixels (2 64-pixel pillars) to allow an un-stretched 1080p by-the-numbers display, leading to a black surround of the whole video.

If I can find one, the first 1080p video I watch on such a display will show angels dancing on the head of a pin.
post #47 of 50
Quote:

OK, I'll attempt the arithmetic.

We've got a width of 2048 pixels. that is the 16. 2048/16=128

So we need to calculate whether, after letterboxing, there will be 1080 lines available vertically.

Let's see - so we have a total of 1536 lines available. We need 9 blocks of pixels, the same size as before, in order to dispay the height.

Each block of pixels is 128 pixels. So 9 * 128 = 1152!

Plenty of pixels to display HD in 1080p. Is my math correct? Anybody?

Just to clarify - I think you are asking about the number of pixels in a 16:9 subset of the rumored doubled iPad3 4:3 (16:12) screen size of 2048 x 1536.

That would be 2048 horizontal (all of them) and 1536 x 9/12 = 1152 vertical, with 192 pixel high blank borders top and bottom in 16:9 mode.

If so then your math is correct.
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that this alleged 1/3 higher resolution iPad is just an engineering sample and not intended as a production candidate. It'll never get beyond the DVT stage.

Apple prototypes hundreds of devices a year and only a few designs make it to market. It would make sense that there would be some oddities like this speculated one.

If, by "hundreds", you in fact mean "several", then yes, I agree.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

If, by "hundreds", you in fact mean "several", then yes, I agree.

The original iPhone had hundreds of designs. What makes you think any other device doesn't get the same treatment?

post #50 of 50
a x b = ab
2a x 2b = 4ab

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Bloomberg: A5-equipped next-gen iPhone with 8MP camera coming in September