or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'CNBC Titans' biography of Apple CEO Steve Jobs airs Thursday night
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'CNBC Titans' biography of Apple CEO Steve Jobs airs Thursday night

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
The season premiere of "CNBC Titans" will kick off this Thursday at 9 p.m. when the program offers an unauthorized look at Apple's iconic chief executive, Steve Jobs.

In previous seasons, "CNBC Titans" has offered a closer look at legendary executives and staples of American culture like Donald Trump, Ted Turner, Hugh Hefner and Merv Griffin. This week's season premiere will mark the first time the program takes an unauthorized look at Jobs.

"Irrepressible and iconic, Steve Jobs has reigned as the undisputed king of Silicon Valley for the better part of three decades," the official episode description reads. "From the Macintosh and the iPod, to iTunes and the iPhone, Jobs has secured his legacy as one of the few who dared to 'Think Different.'"

Before the episode airs, viewers can preview the hourlong program and watch a number of exclusive Web extras available on the online episode guide. There, some of the highlights of the program are also detailed.

The previews and Web features indicate the special will cover Jobs' role in the personal computer revolution, as well as his "confrontational personality." One snippet notes that Jobs is "famous for his ruthless reputation inside the walls of Apple."



"From his parents' California garage he launched the personal computer revolution and built Apple into the most envied, and valuable, technology company in the world," the description reads.

Future episodes of "Titans" this season will cover musician Quincy Jones, Jack Daniel's whiskey, and Hershey's chocolate. New episodes will premiere on Thursdays through the end of August.
post #2 of 37
None of the previews play.

Thanks, Flash.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The season premiere of "CNBC Titans" will kick off this Thursday at 9 p.m. when the program offers an unauthorized look at Apple's iconic chief executive, Steve Jobs.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm going to guess and say that this documentary will be an 8 on the cringe scale due to lack of proper research and the inability to understand the subject at hand.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm going to guess and say that this documentary will be an 8 on the cringe scale due to lack of proper research and the inability to understand the subject at hand.

most likely.
post #5 of 37
I predict sensationalism with only enough truth (or plausibility) to sustain interest and make "experts" out of nay-sayers, but with enough uncertainty to generate word of mouth and secondary viewing.

Short version: it will be a television show.
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Sounds like a hatchet job (no pun intended).

Meh. I'll skip it.

Typical fanboi... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say everything is perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Apple product crashes or has an issue and then go state you've never seen an Apple product have a single issue
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Typical fanboi... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say everything is perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Apple product crashes or has an issue and then go state you've never seen an Apple product have a single issue

Typical Mac hater.

It's an UNOFFICIAL look. How can it ever be subjective? It doesn't have any of the proper information.

It's not fanboidom it's not wanting to be tied up with the droll that fuels idiots like you.
post #8 of 37
A lot of great things came out of garages in America, rock & roll and Apple.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Typical Mac hater.

It's an UNOFFICIAL look. How can it ever be subjective? It doesn't have any of the proper information.

It's not fanboidom it's not wanting to be tied up with the droll that fuels idiots like you.

The opposite of this.

OFFICIAL biographies are the ones that tend to be extremely one-sided, unbalanced, biased etc - for the simple reason that they are commissioned/authorised by the individual being covered. And for better or for worse, most people tend to have fairly flattering views of themselves. In particular, megalomaniacs who will tend to downplay the impact of their actions on others.

UNOFFICIAL biographies avoid many of these issues (whilst of course occasionally succumbing to others).
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #10 of 37
I would love to watch this - but I live in the UK \
post #11 of 37
Love him or hate but you can't ignore him. Job's place in history is secure. He may or may not have put a dent in it but the universe definitely knows he was here. Not so much for fanboys and trolls. The universe doesn't know we even existed.
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Love him or hate but you can't ignore him. Job's place in history is secure. He may or may not have put a dent in it but the universe definitely knows he was here. Not so much for fanboys and trolls. The universe doesn't know we even existed.

Agreed but on your last point's past tense ... I'm still here! ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I would love to watch this - but I live in the UK \

Maybe it will be on the web site after it airs?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

I would love to watch this - but I live in the UK \

For this reason, Tim Berners-Lee and Al Gore invented the interwebz.

Google it. Oh, wait...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
Reply
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

The opposite of this.

OFFICIAL biographies are the ones that tend to be extremely one-sided, unbalanced, biased etc - for the simple reason that they are commissioned/authorised by the individual being covered. And for better or for worse, most people tend to have fairly flattering views of themselves. In particular, megalomaniacs who will tend to downplay the impact of their actions on others.

UNOFFICIAL biographies avoid many of these issues (whilst of course occasionally succumbing to others).

Agreed. I already have my DVR set to record it.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe it will be on the web site after it airs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

For this reason, Tim Berners-Lee and Al Gore invented the interwebz.

Google it. Oh, wait...

lol! I guess I just assumed that I would get one of those "This video is unavailable in you region blah blah blah" messages

However, I just checked out the Preview clip on the CNBC site and it worked so all should be well...

post #17 of 37
"Do you want sell sugared water for the rest of your life or have a chance to change the world?"
Bold.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #18 of 37
the universe is inanimate
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alladdinn View Post

the universe is inanimate

If so, we must be too.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

Typical fanboi... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say everything is perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Apple product crashes or has an issue and then go state you've never seen an Apple product have a single issue

Typical hater... ignore anything you don't want to hear and say Apple products aren't perfect.

I'm sure you cover your eyes when your Windows product crashes or has an issue and then go state that Apple products have the same issues

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 37
Is he, really? Well, look at the unquestioned results in the last 15 years. Near bankruptcy to a business monolith.

But he's still in the garage he started the apple II from. Yes, growth has been incredible, but it's because Steve is a philosopher that he makes distinctive, often beautiful machines. It's no way to get a monopoly, that's true, but I like the idea of a company that's made 6 next best things since 1976.
post #22 of 37
Can anyone provide a link/torrent or upload a pvr copy? Im in Uk and missed this. Thank you.
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcrazyboy View Post

Can anyone provide a link/torrent or upload a pvr copy? Im in Uk and missed this. Thank you.

No, we don't do that here.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #24 of 37
Thanks Ari Fleischer
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcrazyboy View Post

Thanks Ari Fleischer

I'm not a Jewish former White House Press Secretary that helped Tiger Woods gain fame...

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcrazyboy View Post

Can anyone provide a link/torrent or upload a pvr copy? Im in Uk and missed this. Thank you.

Yeah I missed it as well...
post #27 of 37
I finally got around to watching it. I think it's sad that people had prejudged this video before it was even aired. As far as I can tell, it's pretty fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcrazyboy View Post

Thanks Ari Fleischer

He's right though, it's against the rules here to point to infringing copies of copyrighted works.
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

He's right though, it's against the rules here to point to infringing copies of copyrighted works.

I still don't know who he's talking about.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #29 of 37
I saw most of it when it first aired. It was alright. Of course, it would have been better if it went more in depth, but you can't really expect that from a short TV show.

I would like to see a feature film about Steve Jobs and Apple. Why is nobody making that?

They managed to make a movie about the kid in facebook, who is a very uninteresting and boring character. An Apple/Steve Jobs movie would be at least a million times better than that facebook movie.
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I still don't know who he's talking about.

White House Press Secretary from a decade ago. Wikipedia has an entry on him. That's about as far as I want to go. I don't like it when people politicize a forum, so I'll try to avoid it myself.
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I saw most of it when it first aired. It was alright. Of course, it would have been better if it went more in depth, but you can't really expect that from a short TV show.

That might require a miniseries. They did pretty well to compress more than three decades into an hour.

Quote:
I would like to see a feature film about Steve Jobs and Apple. Why is nobody making that?

A touch old but: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That might require a miniseries. They did pretty well to compress more than three decades into an hour.

A miniseries would be a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A touch old but: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

Yes, that I've seen, and more than once too.

The character that played Steve Jobs in the Pirates of Silicon Valley was even at a Keynote speech once, pretending to be Steve Jobs on stage when the keynote started.
post #33 of 37
Argh... nowhere to be seen on my bloody CNBC Asia channel.
post #34 of 37
*Cough* Usenet *Cough*
post #35 of 37
Managed to see it. Not the perfect legal means of obtaining it (Usenet), and it cost me at least ~US$25 of bandwidth for the video file because I had to use my more expensive 4G WiMax service for speed; the only share I could find was a 1080i rip of the original recording which was over 5.5GB! (I get CNBC Asia on satellite TV where I am, with Suzie Orman shows and what not but none of the CNBC Titans series from what I can see on my proramming schedule - yes, this may not justify my piracy)

Anyways, while it is fairly cursory, CNBC Titans: Steve Jobs is probably the only video-based summary of Steve and Apple that covers the early years until mid-2011. Colour me satisfied enough.

Of course, for those that haven't watched, "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is a must-see. It only highlights the early days but it is still fascinating.

Other recommended viewing is the Stanford commencement speech, and the D8 interview.
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Anyways, while it is fairly cursory, CNBC Titans: Steve Jobs is probably the only video-based summary of Steve and Apple that covers the early years until mid-2011. Colour me satisfied enough.

Did you think it was pretty even handed? It didn't seem to take any undeserved swipes, and seemed to give credit when due.

Quote:
Of course, for those that haven't watched, "Pirates of Silicon Valley" is a must-see. It only highlights the early days but it is still fascinating.

Other recommended viewing is the Stanford commencement speech, and the D8 interview.

Agreed.
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Did you think it was pretty even handed? It didn't seem to take any undeserved swipes, and seemed to give credit when due.

Yeah, it seemed reasonable. It was quite cursory overall but there wasn't any undue sensationalism or character attacks. John Sculley seemed somewhat genuinely remorseful and Woz was vibrant without being over-the-top.

One thing I forgot to mention though, going through Steve's timeline in less than an hour, you can see that his WWDC 2011 appearance is really the point where he looks the most unhealthy. Maybe that's just me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'CNBC Titans' biography of Apple CEO Steve Jobs airs Thursday night