or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

post #1 of 70
Apple on Thursday released Mac OS X 10.6.8, the latest update for its Snow Leopard operating system, with enhancements to the Mac App Store that will prepare users for the impending launch of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

The update is available via Software Update or direct from Apple It is a 1.09GB file that requires users be running any version of Snow Leopard from Mac OS X 10.6 to Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Apple said the update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and that it includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of the Mac. The fixes included in 10.6.8 include:
Enhancements to the Mac App Store to get prepare to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion
Resolves an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit
Improved support for IPv6
Improved VPN reliability
Identifies and removes known variants of Mac Defender
With this week's release of Final Cut Pro X, Apple even recommended that users be running Mac OS X 10.6.8, even though it had not yet been released. The last beta of the operating system update was supplied to developers earlier this month with no known issues.

The "MAC Defender" malware was previously addressed by Apple in a separate security update, 2011-003, released at the end of May. Hackers and Apple have been engaged in a back-and-forth battle as the software has spread through search engines like Google through a method known as "SEO poisoning."
post #2 of 70
Running Lion already. Still a lot of bugs so not expecting a release till the end of July.

Of course, DP4 was the first build that was stable enough to use as an every day OS so it is getting there. Bugs now are mostly minor and down kill the system (although losing network after sleeping the system is a bit of a bugger.
post #3 of 70
Would it have killed Apple to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player like iOS has?!
post #4 of 70
Could someone please check the build of the public release? I'm running the last dev build release (I do have a dev account) and just want to know whether I should move to the release version if it's a newer build...
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Running Lion already. Still a lot of bugs so not expecting a release till the end of July.

what a coincidence ... apple has released some beta lion software and has announced general availability for july.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbiol View Post

Could someone please check the build of the public release? I'm running the last dev build release (I do have a dev account) and just want to know whether I should move to the release version if it's a newer build...

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #7 of 70
I can hardly wait for incremental updates. 1 GB for a minor update like this is ridiculous.
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Would it have killed Apple to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player like iOS has?!

Yeah, all that takes is a button. Pff.
post #9 of 70
Downloading now, It's only showing as 275MB download for me.
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
post #10 of 70
If it came out today, the final developer build is coming out next week and Lion should come out the 2nd or 3rd week of July.
post #11 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjay View Post

Downloading now, It's only showing as 275MB download for me.

Same here. 275MB download. Not sure where that 1 GB quote came from?
post #12 of 70
All

My display started showing partial vertical bars at the bottom of the screen after installing this release. I used the CMD+OPTION+P+R keys to reset the PRAM, assuming there were some graphic updates with this patch. After rebooting with that option, the login screen went almost black. I barely was able to login. I restarted again and finally the display was restored to the original state. Looks like something in the patch conflicts with settings cached in the PRAM or NVRAM.

- Amit
post #13 of 70
Quote:

You should read your ADC agreement a little closer.
post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)

Thanks. No need to update ;->
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

I can hardly wait for incremental updates. 1 GB for a minor update like this is ridiculous.

This IS an incremental update. And how do you know it's 'minor'? A full update would be upwards of four gigabytes like your entire OS install was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

The fact that different models of Mac have different download sizes for the same software, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

If it came out today, the final developer build is coming out next week and Lion should come out the 2nd or 3rd week of July.

Snow Leopard and Lion have completely different teams. The release of a simple update to Snow Leopard has nothing to do with when Developer Previews, GMs, or releases of Lion happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

You're new here, aren't you?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #16 of 70
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The fact that different models of Mac have different download sizes for the same software, probably.

The 1GB is for those who have < 10.6.7, I assume. I had the 1GB on one of my systems that I hadn't updated in a while.
post #17 of 70
Quote:

450Mb for me. I assume it's something to do with which model Mac you have, though I don't know.

I stay updated all the time, so I'm not upgrading from a version further back than the last one they released.

Anyway, who really cares. Downloads are fast and free.....
post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Does it kill you to add anything playing in QT with a one-button click (or a single drag'n'drop) to iTunes to get AirPlay capabilities?

(Well, I only have an Airport Express and no Apple TV thus I don't know whether iTunes' AirPlay integration includes video.)
post #19 of 70
Hi, i have a question, i currently have lion dp4 installed, will i be able to install the commercial or retail lion from the mac app store?

Thnx,
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

Hi, i have a question, i currently have lion dp4 installed, will i be able to install the commercial or retail lion from the mac app store?

Thnx,

This is what you get for installing software that you have absolutely no right to have.

Live with whatever happens come July. You have no one to blame but yourself.

post #21 of 70
Done and seems to be OK.

It enable TRIM support? Now my Air say TRIM Support: Yes.
post #22 of 70
Hahaha Ohhhh I totally called this release coming out today two days ago

And we need more graphics drivers.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

The combo update is just over 1GB. Is that what you downloaded? That would explain the size.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

450Mb for me. I assume it's something to do with which model Mac you have, though I don't know.

I stay updated all the time, so I'm not upgrading from a version further back than the last one they released.

Anyway, who really cares. Downloads are fast and free.....

Mine was 4XX as well, odd, it had all the updates before that. I wonder how people got just 275?
post #25 of 70
The 10.6.8 update on my Quad Pro has killed Time Machine backups (backup drive suddenly seen as Read Only), blocked App Store updates (privilege issues), and blocked moving old iTunes TV files to the trash ("because files can't be deleted").

Help?
post #26 of 70
The 10.6.8 update has fixed two MAJOR bugs I was experiencing with Celestia (an openGL astronomy software, in case you don't know what it is). To me, this system update is a MAJOR one !

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #27 of 70
Surely everyone knows that OS updates via Software Update are sized according to what Mac+OS you're running, and that the Combo Updates downloadable directly from Apple's website are able to update any Mac?

In my experience, Combo Updates are much more stable. I never update via Software Update unless that is the only option. Thankfully, most updates are available via Apple's Support pages.
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoardoz View Post

Done and seems to be OK.

It enable TRIM support? Now my Air say TRIM Support: Yes.

Alas my OWC SSD has not had trim support enabled. I suppose it is only enabled for certain approved SSD drives.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Alas my OWC SSD has not had trim support enabled. I suppose it is only enabled for certain approved SSD drives.

I've been running an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, used trim enabler and I've had no issues.

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

post #30 of 70
Quote:

Not according to licensed developers who actually know what they are doing.
post #31 of 70
Note, after applying 10.6.8 I had to re-enable trim support with trim enabler. All seems well.

post #32 of 70
"- Improved support for IPv6
- Improved VPN reliability"

Hmmmm. Sounds like Apple is working on two of the components that could make iCloud more robust. IPv6 for "tunnelling" through firewalls and point-to-point communication between any of your iDevices and Macs (or even pee cees.) VPN for secure access to your data on, say, Apple's iCloud data center in North Carolina. Even from unsecured public wi-fi hotspots.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

I've been running an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, used trim enabler and I've had no issues.

Thanks for that response. I did a search and it seems that some people have had some problems so I might hold off and see what Lion brings.

post #34 of 70
Quote:

combo is 1.09gb
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Not sure what ADC requirement you might be referring to. It is public knowledge that anyone who wants to spend $99 can sign up for the developer program and get access to Lion. All software has bugs and Apple has announced a July release. So what has been revealed that is not already public and stated already by Apple?
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not according to licensed developers who actually know what they are doing.

Mmm... no. Lion still has its fair share of bugs.

I JUST had this happen to me. DP4 Update 1 and iTunes 10.5. Tried to watch an MP4 movie that has always worked before. I had previously done a "Get Info" on it to change the artwork. Artwork disappeared and refused to be replaced. Then when I tried to play it, this happened.

This might not be a bug, though. Apple might actually be discontinuing QuickTime entirely and letting iTunes handle media. You never know.

post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This IS an incremental update. And how do you know it's 'minor'? A full update would be upwards of four gigabytes like your entire OS install was.

Snow Leopard and Lion have completely different teams. The release of a simple update to Snow Leopard has nothing to do with when Developer Previews, GMs, or releases of Lion happen.

You're new here, aren't you?

In regards to 'OrinalMacRat' I couldn't understand the criticism. Lion is buggy and it will likely be released the 2nd or 3rd week, so what's the problem?
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
Switching From Windows on Nov. 30th 2007
-------------------------------------
MacBook Pro 13" 2011
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Not sure what ADC requirement you might be referring to

When you create an ADC account, you are accepting a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT.
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

In regards to 'OrinalMacRat' I couldn't understand the criticism. Lion is buggy and it will likely be released the 2nd or 3rd week, so what's the problem?

He was correlating releases of Snow Leopard to releases of Lion previews, and they have nothing to do with one another.

post #40 of 70
Quote:

That's for the stand alone 10.6.8 combo updater (1.01 Gb)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion