or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LaCie Thunderbolt SSD drive coming this summer

LaCie Thunderbolt SSD drive coming this summer

post #1 of 43
Peripheral and storage maker LaCie's Thunderbolt and Solid-State Drive "Little Big Disk" is coming this summer, with one hands-on preview demonstrating read speeds of 827 MB per second.

The drives, which run a pair of SSD drives configured in RAID 0, were first demonstrated at Intel's launch event for the Thunderbolt I/O technology. Intel partnered up with Apple to pair the chipmaker's codenamed Light Peak technology with the Apple-developed Mini DisplayPort.

SlashGear received a pre-launch demo of the Little Big Disk. The demo setup involved a Core i7 MacBook Pro with daisy-chained LaCie drives and a 24-inch Full HD LCD display.

A raw speed test involving reading and writing 4GB files posted write speeds of up to 352.5 MB per second and read speeds of 827.2 MB per second. Company representatives said the same setup topped 870 MB per second peaks during their own testing.

A second test took three simultaneous video files stored on the drives and played them at 1080p Full HD resolution. According to the report, playback was "stutter-free whether windowed or full-screen," and scrubbing through the clip with the two others running in the background presented no lag or pauses.

The Little Big Disk is due out "sometime over the summer," with production starting soon, according to the report. LaCie has said it plans to offer Thunderbolt-ready HDD versions of the drive, which should be a cheaper option than SSD, but has not indicated a timeline for the HDD model.

Alongside the unveiling of Thunderbolt in February, Apple released new MacBook Pros, the first systems to take advantage of the new technology. In May, Apple updated its iMac all-in-one desktop line to include the Thunderbolt port.

Though Apple does not have an exclusive deal with Intel, the Mac maker's close relationship with Intel may result in as much as a one year head start on PC manufacturers. However, a recent report suggested that the high cost of adding Thunderbolt to peripherals may limit adoption of the standard.

Thunderbolt will likely see more rapid adoption in the high-end video market. At the National Association of Broadcasters convention in April, several vendors demonstrated breakout video boxes that use Thunderbolt.

Job listings reveal Apple is building out its Thunderbolt team to bring the port to new devices.
post #2 of 43
LaCie Thunderbolt ready version of Little Big Disk should be a cheaper option. then the article later says that Thunderbolt is expensive to adopt.
Those statements conflict.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #3 of 43
This article title brought to you by The Department Of Redundancy Department.

Jeez, do we ever need a breakthrough in SSDs to bring the price down...

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #4 of 43
Let me know when the entire Internet is replaced with Thunderbolt cables.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 43
New iMac sitting on my desk at work. Tw Thunderbolt ports in the back. Now just waiting for the Pegausus RAID to come out, or something nice from LaCie.

Some of my larger transfers will be able to be completed without a coffee-making trip down the hall. Ugh. Less exercise. Could be fattening...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

LaCie Thunderbolt ready version of Little Big Disk should be a cheaper option. then the article later says that Thunderbolt is expensive to adopt.
Those statements conflict.

I think they were saying that the HDD version would be cheaper than the SSD, not that the Thunderbolt option itself is cheaper.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwalt View Post

I think they were saying that the HDD version would be cheaper than the SSD, not that the Thunderbolt option itself is cheaper.

Thanks I missed the HDD instead of SSD, and I thought I could read.

post #8 of 43
Quote:
However, a recent report suggested that the high cost of adding Thunderbolt to peripherals may limit adoption of the standard.

First of all, the link in this sentence goes to AI's own article, which then links to the wrong article at iLounge. The correct article is this:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...g-ios-options/

And then, the iLounge article says this:

Quote:
We similarly have learned that the price of the components required to add a Thunderbolt port to an external hard drive is roughly equal to the cost of a low-end hard drive itself.

There's nothing to back that up, no explanation, nada. Presumable a basic Thunderbolt drive enclosure will use an internal SATA bridge to PCI, along with a second pass-through port if desired. I'm just not seeing where all this extra expense is coming from, relative to alternative interconnects (except for raw eSATA, which cannot provide any sort of daisy-chaining, so they're not comparable.) Please dig some more before repeating this claim.
post #9 of 43
Pretty much the same demo as at the Intel launch. That's not to take away from how impressive it is though!
post #10 of 43
"Thunderbolt will likely see more rapid adoption in the high-end video market."
No kidding! Given it takes an SSD or multiple, striped HDDs which push the cost per GB way up it's never really going to be a consumer technology.

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #11 of 43
Wish it was (almost) anyone other than LaCie at the head of the pack. The only reason the count of dead LaCie products around here stabilized is because I stopped buying them.
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Wish it was (almost) anyone other than LaCie at the head of the pack. The only reason the count of dead LaCie products around here stabilized is because I stopped buying them.

I also stopped buying LaCie, but I think their past problems were related to overheating so maybe they will have more luck with SSDs?
post #13 of 43
OK, I've always trusted Apple and Stevo...But it is hard to imagine having all my stuff on the iCloud.

I'm going to try and just have the iCloud, iPad2, iP4 and an ATV.

But it is awfully hard not to have an iMac as my "digital hub" with a 2TB TimeCapsule for backup.

I feel like my late Dad hanging on to his WebTV!

I have an aging first gen intel iMac that won't be upgradeable to Lion. Even though I am a strong advocate for Apple's "insistence" not to have a legacy drag like Windows, it still is hard to know everyone else will be enjoying Lion whilst I'm still on that dog Snow Leopard.

When my old iMac dies I will invest in an 11" MBA and an Apple Monitor, me thinks!

All in all, good problems to have!

Best
post #14 of 43
All I want is to be able to scrub my TIFF 1080p video files, somewhere over the rainbow where the thunderbolts fly... sigh

Next year perhaps
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #15 of 43
Quote:

What a concept - mechanical hard drives not lasting a lifetime; actually failing...and only LaCie's....go figure.
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBeaver View Post

What a concept - mechanical hard drives not lasting a lifetime; actually failing...and only LaCie's....go figure.

The problem with lacie is they only package other brand hard drives so when they fail you are stuck because if you want to do data recovery they can't honor warranty, cause they have to send drive back for their internal warranty with their supplier.

Nice packaging and all but when doom strikes...

Well that has been my experience anyway.
post #17 of 43
I hope Apple releases a Cinema Display that when plugged in to a Thunderbolt port enables all sorts of ports on the back of the monitor, including USB3.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

The problem with lacie is they only package other brand hard drives so when they fail you are stuck because if you want to do data recovery they can't honor warranty, cause they have to send drive back for their internal warranty with their supplier.

Nice packaging and all but when doom strikes...

Well that has been my experience anyway.

I don't know of any hard drive manufacturer that incorporates data as part of their guarantee. Best practices dictate maintaining a redundant backup anyway, since there is no question but what doom (disc failure) will occur.
post #19 of 43
Hard disks can and will fail. Been there, and learned from it.

Thunderbolt will really make the task of taking a backup off-site quick and easy. Can't wait.

post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

No kidding! Given it takes an SSD or multiple, striped HDDs which push the cost per GB way up it's never really going to be a consumer technology.

McD

yeah, consumers will never need more that 640K RAM.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave

Now all that's needed is a high-end video editing package to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Some of my larger transfers will be able to be completed without a coffee-making trip down the hall. Ugh. Less exercise. Could be fattening...

The undocumented side-effect of new technology.
post #22 of 43
Quote:

Not the point. LaCie shipped out an overwhelming number of various drives over many years with power supplies that failed within weeks. Google it. This was a simple QC issue that could have been taken care of when reports first started rolling in, but instead went on for years. For the past decade LaCie spent money on fancy designer enclosures instead of better QC and CS.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I have an aging first gen intel iMac that won't be upgradeable to Lion. Even though I am a strong advocate for Apple's "insistence" not to have a legacy drag like Windows, it still is hard to know everyone else will be enjoying Lion whilst I'm still on that dog Snow Leopard.

CPU in your iMac should be upgradable to Core 2 Duo, as far as I remember so it can have Lion too.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

McD

You're missing the point. It's not about maxing the interface, it's about whether the interface limits your access to data.

Currently, USB 2.0 is a major bottleneck for a fast external drive - and even worse for an external RAID. TB fixes that problem - the interface is no longer the bottleneck. You can get the data every bit as fast as the hard drive can provide it.

USB 3.0 MIGHT be able to claim that with current generation drives (with MIGHT being the operative word), but fails in a couple of regards - burst speed (which is more important with today's huge caches and hybrid drives), RAID, and future generations of hard disks.

So even a moderately advanced users will see the difference between TB and USB 2.0 - it doesn't require a high-end video user. So the user has to decide between TB and USB 3.0. The cost difference is likely to be insignificant, so why not choose the superior technology - even if it's far faster than you need?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 43
Quote:

Not the point. LaCie shipped out an overwhelming number of various drives over many years with power supplies that failed within weeks. Google it. This was a simple QC issue that could have been taken care of when reports first started rolling in, but instead went on for years. For the past decade LaCie spent money on fancy designer enclosures instead of better QC and CS.

Backup, backup, backup
post #26 of 43
Any chance we might see Thunderbolt memory sticks in the near future?
post #27 of 43
Quote:

Backup, backup, backup

While I do backup often, dealing with LARGE amounts of data is a pain to backup, especially when that data changes often. If my HD failed, I would lose some of my larger work because I back those up by hand and not consistently (large, rapidly changing data sets take too much space with Time Machine).
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I also stopped buying LaCie, but I think their past problems were related to overheating so maybe they will have more luck with SSDs?

Totally agree. I used to recommend LaCie products to tons of people, until they all starting breaking and I had to deal with their horrible customer support. I'll never buy from them again.

I'll wait until OWC comes out with their new drives.
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

...So when the new Mini has ONLY ONE PORT, a ThunderBolt port, you will simply plug in your monitor, and everything else will plug into that.

No hubs, no wires, no mess. Simple. One port.

When the updated Mac Mini comes out, it will still have USB and probably Firewire.

From what little I have seen on the subject so far, Macs currently can't boot from a drive connected by Thunderbolt. I would imagine that would include a USB or Firewire adapter that uses Thunderbolt for a connection. Will that change? Probably at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it requires a hardware change. Remember, Macs initially couldn't boot from USB drives and it was only at the end of the PPC era that Macs got that ability.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Totally agree. I used to recommend LaCie products to tons of people, until they all starting breaking and I had to deal with their horrible customer support. I'll never buy from them again.

I'll wait until OWC comes out with their new drives.

Horrible customer support? Seriously? Sounds like you would benefit from a few weeks on the other end of the phone.
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Now all that's needed is a high-end video editing package to go along with it.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk... be nice, now!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #32 of 43
Finally. I want to backup my 2011 iMac but I don't want to deal with USB 2.0.
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifan View Post

Finally. I want to backup my 2011 iMac but I don't want to deal with USB 2.0.

So why wasn't FireWire 800 an option?

post #34 of 43
Quote:

Will it also have a floppy disk?

Nope... chadless punched paper tape, or at best a cassette tape.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #35 of 43
Quote:

Will it also have a floppy disk?

As much as I believe in your one-port future, I'm sane enough to know it won't happen until the end of the decade at the earliest. Give it a rest. \

post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nope... chadless punched paper tape, or at best a cassette tape.

i'm holding out for the 8 tack tape system
in vinyl of course

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #37 of 43
Quote:

The people who cling like a dying man to their legacy connections oppose ThunderBolt because they are mired in the past. They imagine dozens of weird adaptors and cables and hubs and wires and mess.

What they don't realize is that TB can be daisy chained.

So when the new Mini has ONLY ONE PORT, a ThunderBolt port, you will simply plug in your monitor, and everything else will plug into that.

No hubs, no wires, no mess. Simple. One port. No need to think about anything, or to call home to have them describe that weird looking plug when you are at Best Buy. Just know that ThunderBolt is what you want. Simple.

Well, maybe. Unless the TB spec states that if you've got a miniDisplayPort device in the chain, it has to be the last one in that chain.
post #38 of 43
Quote:

Backup, backup, backup

Again, you're ignoring the point. I have a happy backup system with drives of various companies that I use confidently. My personal experience with LaCIe products over the past decade is that their quality control is too poor to get into my place again, despite such snazzy cases.

Stop harping for a moment about the life of mechanisms, which isn't even what I'm talking about. I'm talking about dead enclosures and flakey power supplies that can kill mechanisms.

Thank you for your next very relevant response, which is to keep back ups.
post #39 of 43
Quote:

Again, you're ignoring the point. I have a happy backup system with drives of various companies that I use confidently. My personal experience with LaCIe products over the past decade is that their quality control is too poor to get into my place again, despite such snazzy cases.

I've had exactly one power supply problem with LaCie drives. I've also had a power supply problem with Buffalo, and a fan problem with Western Digital.

Does anyone keep actual statistics on reliability of external drives, rather than just anecdotal evidence (which is an oxymoron, in my opinion)?
post #40 of 43
Quote:

Backup, backup, backup

That's not the solution. As the poster said, it's the power supplies that fail. The drive and the data are fine. I was buying Lacie drive enclosures in the 80's and had constant power supply issues. Sometimes it's just the supply, sometimes it fries the board on the way out. Move on 20 years and still the same problems. I gave up on Lacie in the 80's but I watched 4 out of 4 power supply failures on less than 3 year old Lacie drives last year. OWC is all I buy, out of about 20 drives, 0 failures and some are quite old. The 2 former Lacie owners of the 4 failed drives are also now in the OWC camp.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › LaCie Thunderbolt SSD drive coming this summer